"DragonHunter" name feedback [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Alasteir.7031

Alasteir.7031

You can bet your kitten that the dragonhunters in other fantasy settings are not the Paladin archetype. At least for the most part.

Since when have knights and holy warriors fighting dragons not been done to death? In D&D – the granddaddy of all tabletop RPG and computer/video gaming – dragon-hunting paladin archetypes are exceptionally common.

When the description of the Dragonhunter is that of a big-game hunter, you get a different connotation that those archetypes, especially with the lore of the Elder Dragons being Natural, and not intrinsically evil, or demonic. If something has been done to death, and you want to do it, the least you can do is make it as original as possible. Every solution proposed so far just makes it more overdone.

Like, if those random name generators that you find online gave you the option to list a name for a paladin archetype, pretty much all of the solutions other than Photonbuster would probably come up.

Hold on! Gonna find me one of those generators!

Well you asked ME to come up with one that describes a light-user taking down big things that hasn’t been done. and I did on my own without a generator.

I did? Wasn’t that someone else?

Lady Novae – 80 Human Ele – Blackgate

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

Wait, so did I really just read some flipping out over the word “Avenger” being a terrible choice because it will inevitably make someone think of Marvel? I’m pretty sure we have a legendary weapon sharing the same name as a series of sparkly vampires, or is that just getting glossed over because “reasons.”

To toot my own horn a bit, Seeker gives a rough idea of the indented concept.

A Seeker can be a hunter, who seeks their prey. particularly a ranged hunter, that prepares beforehand, instead of a slayer who would face a monster directly.

A Seeker can also be an explorer in the new Maguuma wilderness. The name also carries a more spiritual flavour, befitting the profession.

I like that, personally.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

(edited by DragonflyDusk.6582)

Alasteir.7031

You can bet your kitten that the dragonhunters in other fantasy settings are not the Paladin archetype. At least for the most part.

Since when have knights and holy warriors fighting dragons not been done to death? In D&D – the granddaddy of all tabletop RPG and computer/video gaming – dragon-hunting paladin archetypes are exceptionally common.

When the description of the Dragonhunter is that of a big-game hunter, you get a different connotation that those archetypes, especially with the lore of the Elder Dragons being Natural, and not intrinsically evil, or demonic. If something has been done to death, and you want to do it, the least you can do is make it as original as possible. Every solution proposed so far just makes it more overdone.

Like, if those random name generators that you find online gave you the option to list a name for a paladin archetype, pretty much all of the solutions other than Photonbuster would probably come up.

I dunno, but an avenger class going after a dragon seems less frequently done then a dragon hunter- sorry, dragonhunter- class going after a dragon.

And why do those names instead of dragonhunter come up? Because they fit the theme and lore of the class you asked for. Dragonhunter is so left field, it’s too left field.

It’s more of the fact that Avenger is a generic term often associated with the Holy Warrior archetype found in fantasy. Still doesn’t relate to why it uses traps, and stuff.

Posted by: Dark Saviour.9410

Dark Saviour.9410

Eh. If you want to play of lights and traps and stuff, you could rip off PSU and go with Protranser, (though virtually nobody would understand it).

Gone for good after Halloween 2Ø12.
A shame fun things could not simply be fun.

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

I’d say we still need more and more varied. While some of those alternatives are good, again, most have nothing to do with the flavor of the spec. While generic is good, it wouldn’t hurt coming up with more options that actually have a flavor.

As a counterpoint, I would argue that the name ‘druid’ is incredibly generic as far as fantasy goes. It simply evokes ‘nature priest/mage.’ It says nothing about the profession mechanics, unless you come with the D&D and WoW assumption that druids shapeshift. Same is true for many professions: e.g., thief, warrior, engineer, ranger, etc. ‘Guardian’ is also a generic term that gives us little sense for the profession mechanics only assumptions that it may be more defensive in its playstyle. That is why I lean towards a generic term for a more proactive, justice-minded holy warrior.

It’s more of the fact that Avenger is a generic term often associated with the Holy Warrior archetype found in fantasy. Still doesn’t relate to why it uses traps, and stuff.

The guardian name says nothing about using virtues, consecrations, shouts, meditations, or any of its mechanics either.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Harvest.2506

Harvest.2506

Well you asked ME to come up with one that describes a light-user taking down big things that hasn’t been done. and I did on my own without a generator.

opps yeah sorry that was devillordlaser. carry on. i want to see this generator now.

Alasteir.7031

I’d say we still need more and more varied. While some of those alternatives are good, again, most have nothing to do with the flavor of the spec. While generic is good, it wouldn’t hurt coming up with more options that actually have a flavor.

As a counterpoint, I would argue that the name ‘druid’ is incredibly generic as far as fantasy goes. It simply evokes ‘nature priest/mage.’ It says nothing about the profession mechanics, unless you come with the D&D and WoW assumption that druids shapeshift. Same is true for many professions: e.g., thief, warrior, engineer, ranger, etc. ‘Guardian’ is also a generic term that gives us little sense for the profession mechanics only assumptions that it may be more defensive in its playstyle. That is why I lean towards a generic term for a more proactive, justice-minded holy warrior.

The guardian name says nothing about using virtues, consecrations, shouts, meditations, or any of its mechanics either.

It still gives you an indication of what they’re doing, like Chronomancer, or hell, yes even Druid. Druids are not often linked with Rangers, are they not usually distinct, yet sometimes associated? Druid immediately invokes the idea that Nature Magic would be its thing. Same with Chronomancy and Time Magic. Avenger does what? Dragonhunting, although poor, invokes the hunting aspect better than Avenger, while distinguishing it from just a general hunter; Crusader, or Inquisitor, or Sentinel aren’t any better.

(edited by Alasteir.7031)

Alasteir.7031

opps yeah sorry that was devillordlaser. carry on. i want to see this generator now.

All I could find was one for general class names. Got stuff like Legendary Witch Heretic, and Imperial Hell Templar.

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

I like:

Avenger – and no, I did not think of the earth’s mightiest heroes first. If I was playing Marvel Heroes Online I would have.
Seraph- an actual lore profession, though it was strictly human but that was before the melding of races, orders, and to a lesser extent kingdoms to form the pact
Vindicator
Arbiter
Justicar- that’s actually in GW lore also, so what if he was evil from a certain perspective 250 years ago
To a lesser extent Seeker (but that’s because of my own dislike for the Sword of Truth series which admittedly was pretty good up until book 5 or 6 when it turned into the same book written in different ways).

I’d even take seeker over the mashed together dragon hunter, whoops. I did that again. Dragonhunter. Even if I played a male Guardian I’d prefer Valkyrie to Dragonhunter. No duh I’m a dragon hunter! What have I been doing for the past 2.5 years if not hunting dragons?

Dragon Hunter should be a title, not a profession. I’d be happy with that (kill Tequatl, the one in the PS at Claw Island, and Zhaitan to get it)
Dragon Trapper (kill Mordremoth/Wyvern/any other dragon lieutenants of Mordy’s)

You have many years to come up with others for the remaining dragons.

Dragon Slayer could come later for all elder dragons defeated

(edited by Kentaine.4692)

Kentaine.4692

All I could find was one for general class names. Got stuff like Legendary Witch Heretic, and Imperial Hell Templar.[/quote]

I’ll take Imperial Hell Templar[/quote]

But it has to be one word.

I’ll take Imperielhelltemplar!

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

What I wish I knew, but I highly doubt I’d ever get the real answer to, is was this even a little bit suspected as for the reaction, or did they really think it was going to hit it out of the park.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Harvest.2506

All I could find was one for general class names. Got stuff like Legendary Witch Heretic, and Imperial Hell Templar.

I’ll take Imperial Hell Templar[/quote]

[/quote]

I’ll take ImperielHell then that’s still better than DragonHunter

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

My main concern is that what we’ve seen so far seems like a mish-mash of abilities. Bow and traps, ok, totally a hunter vibe. Wings and spear animation? Seems like they wanted paragon like feel. We will have to wait and see if this really makes any sense or if it is as sloppy as it first seems.

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

Can I just correct the OP here, the name is Dragonhunter. Not Dragon Hunter. Dragon Hunter while it would not be a great name, is perfectly fine and acceptable. Dragonhunter on the other hand just sounds stupid.

Posted by: Dark Saviour.9410

Dark Saviour.9410

The name also feels very disassociated from the core concepts of the ‘guardian’ profession. Why is the ‘guardian’ even being imagined as a ‘big game hunter’ in the first place?

Because its NOT A GUARDIAN?

Fundamental issues here. New profession icon. New weapon. New utility skill set. If you choose to you can make your entire skill tray have ZERO overlap with any guardian ever.

Considering you’re still shooting shields and virtues and whatnot… yeah…

The bow doesn’t seem all that hunter-y in their hands TBH.

Gone for good after Halloween 2Ø12.
A shame fun things could not simply be fun.

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

‘Dragoon’? I know it’s not original, but neither the other profession names, besides Mesmer, really. I’ve always thought it had a nice ring too it though. The ‘Hunter’ part of the spec. name just seems so forced, in order to implement Traps imo.

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

I just hope in the process traps overall get proper improvements through traits and are made better baseline, their idea of a timer after activation could turn out bad.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

What I wish I knew, but I highly doubt I’d ever get the real answer to, is was this even a little bit suspected as for the reaction, or did they really think it was going to hit it out of the park.

Unfortunately, the Necromancer design team was in charge of the new Guardian spec.
#outoftouch #sorrylowblow hehe ;p

Posted by: waSte.8640

waSte.8640

Lets call it “Ranger Identity Crisis”

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Knight Light. Or Lite. Sorry. It just came to me and I couldn’t resist. Knightlighter. Ahem.

Someone’s already mentioned Defender. I like Templar, too.

Digging around, let’s see what turns up…

Hierophant
Mystagogue
Pontifex
Cleric (heh)
Advocate
Envoy
Adherent
Campaigner
Champion

Dragonhunter… just doesn’t feel right. “Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. I’m hunting dwagons.” Dragonrider would be cool! How come no one has made a Pern MMO? Epic open world events — dragonriders & dragons vs thread!

The table is a fable.

Posted by: JNetRocks.3652

JNetRocks.3652

It was decided via Reddit that the new specialization is the Arbiter. There is no such thing as a Dragon Hunter.

Kentaine.4692

I’ll take Imperial Hell Templar

[/quote]

I’ll take ImperielHell then that’s still better than DragonHunter[/quote]

Or if we must have dragon… how about:

Dragonaire… wait that’s a pokemon. I was trying to squish dragon and legionaire together.
Dragnel? Dragon + Sentinel? Why can’t we create a word? Why do these words have to exist in the languages of our world already?
Dragoon? Well those were typically mounted, but it’s theorized the name stemmed from their firearm… guess that would work better if/when Guardian gets rifle.
Dragnet for when we get fishers as a profession!

Posted by: Death Scythe.9738

Death Scythe.9738

Well, from my point of view is fine because I have a guardian but not a ranger so, I think that I will never have the need to create one since i am pretty sure that will be more reliable just play Guardian especially without the annoying pet mechanism. Let suppose that Druid will be a support oriented class , do you guys think that will be better support than a simple Guardian ? , I doubt it. Now …. the name is not that bad but is so ….anticlimactic. Anet you can ask any random player from this forum and I pretty sure that will come with a better name … Sentinel , Archangel , Warden , Cheesecake Factory ….

JNetRocks.3652

It was decided via reddit that the new specialization is the Arbiter. The Arbiter release today was pretty cool, after all!

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

It was decided via reddit that the new specialization is the Arbiter. The Arbiter release today was pretty cool, after all!

But the rest of us here mostly decided on Sentinel.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Harvest.2506

I’ll take Imperial Hell Templar

I’ll take ImperielHell then that’s still better than DragonHunter[/quote]

Or if we must have dragon… how about:

Dragonaire… wait that’s a pokemon. I was trying to squish dragon and legionaire together.
Dragnel? Dragon + Sentinel? Why can’t we create a word? Why do these words have to exist in the languages of our world already?
Dragoon? Well those were typically mounted, but it’s theorized the name stemmed from their firearm… guess that would work better if/when Guardian gets rifle.
Dragnet for when we get fishers as a profession!
[/quote]

Ok if I have to take a Dragon like name to coincide with Anets new mandate to reign in players from other games I’ll take Dragonaire. At the very least is sound legion-like for the military decorum. Its confident, more thought-out, even from a poke’mon design, and better than that half-kitten DragonHunter.

Kentaine.4692

I don’t understand the hate.

Dragon Hunter is a great name! I cannot wait to use this title on my warrior and ranger.

Wait, it isn’t a title?

Well BLEEP.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

But my point is, what if the devs don’t want a generic name? If all you give them is generic alternatives, they’re going to just keep with what they got.

I’m not discounting the broader general names suggested, just saying don’t just lean on one train of thought. It’s called compromise.

JNetRocks.3652

I think this is one of the best written and well thought out of the ‘name-hate’ threads I’ve read (and I have read them all cause I truly hate it, haha). Echoing your sentiments:

The name should tell you what the class does

• Elementalists use elements.
  • Engineers use tech/gadgets.
  • Mesmers mesmerize/illusion.
  • Guardians guard/smite.
  • Revenants… what?

Specializations should build off of their core profession

• Chronomancer uses time. And is a mesmer.
  • Druids use nature magic. And are rangers.
  • Tempest… implies air/water/weathery stuff to me.
  • Dragonhunter… implies abilities to hunt dragons.

Such specific themes do not work for any class so the dragon theme needs to go. If you are in WvW or SPvP or even non-dragon-PvE then your specialization feels forced and like it has less meaning in these situations.

Arbiter, Paragon, Justicar… so many better options. Revenants should definitely be renamed to Mistmage or something.

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

After noticing in the trailer the fact that he goes after a dinosaur, not dragon, the guardian should in fact be named the Dino Hunter.

Dragons are generic and overdone for mmos. Dinos is where its at now.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Ok if I have to take a Dragon like name to coincide with Anets new mandate to reign in players from other games I’ll take Dragonaire. At the very least is sound legion-like for the military decorum. Its confident, more thought-out, even from a poke’mon design, and better than that half-kitten DragonHunter.

Yup, we already have Dragonite (ore) so why not Dragonaire?

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

It’s just a name. As a player I’m much more interested in the game mechanics those specializations offer than what the specialization is called. If I find it fun and rewarding they could name it something like, “Cardboard” and it wouldn’t bother me a bit.

The Burninator

JustTrogdor.7892

It’s just a name. As a player I’m much more interested in the game mechanics those specializations offer than what the specialization is called. If I find it fun and rewarding they could name it something like, “Cardboard” and it wouldn’t bother me a bit.

The Burninator

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

Chronomancer as a good example? No thank you. It is quite bad, but whatever.

JNetRocks.3652

I’m actually very curious because it seems there’s a good amount of people who like the name and a good amount who don’t. I gathered a few of the top voted name suggestions from the forums and reddit and the existing name. What would you choose?

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Z2-2vpgblHEwdScC87QP0m-ByGtkhYQwGM5X3zAAHLg/viewform?usp=send_form

Or you can just view the results.

(edited by JNetRocks.3652)

Penguin.5197

I flinched a bit the first time I heard dragon hunter as the name. Right away it just felt wrong but I couldn’t put my finger on exactly why. It really doesn’t describe anything about what the class does, its just a horrible name compared to the rest. I really hope anet does hear our feedback and switch the name.

Nate.3927

I prefer Dratini myself.

But in all seriousness, Anet should do a poll of what the name should be.

Penguin.5197

You should still have added an “other” option.

Nate.3927

part of the problem is that some people actually think that the name is Dragon Hunter and not Dragonhunter.

The first is not as bad as the second.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

One person on the Reddit thread suggested “Lightslinger.” I like that. It’s like a gunslinger, only with light, and involves firing bolts of light … it fits!

JNetRocks.3652

You should still have added an “other” option.

Added!

(edited by JNetRocks.3652)

JNetRocks.3652

part of the problem is that some people actually think that the name is Dragon Hunter and not Dragonhunter.

The first is not as bad as the second.

You’re right. I typed it wrong on the topic too, so edited that. It was correct on the form though!

Genesis.8572

Or “Any thing other than ‘Dragonhunter.’”

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Treetoptrickster.4205

Treetoptrickster.4205

Warden or Arbiter could be cool.

JustTrogdor.7892

Your survey is flawed because people can vote as many times as they want.

The Burninator

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Try asking again in a few days and see if people still care or if they’ve moved on to the next thing they don’t like.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

JNetRocks.3652

Your survey is flawed because people can vote as many times as they want.

1 answer per user now though requires Google Account.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Upvoted for Valkyrie Profile reference. I loved that game. (But for reasons already mentioned, I don’t think it’s a good choice for the elite spec.)

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Genesis.8572

It still gives you an indication of what they’re doing, like Chronomancer, or hell, yes even Druid. Druids are not often linked with Rangers, are they not usually distinct, yet sometimes associated? Druid immediately invokes the idea that Nature Magic would be its thing. Same with Chronomancy and Time Magic.

Yes, this supports what I am saying.

Avenger does what? Dragonhunting, although poor, invokes the hunting aspect better than Avenger, while distinguishing it from just a general hunter; Crusader, or Inquisitor, or Sentinel aren’t any better.

The Avenger avenges at achieve justice. This guardian specialization should not be evoking anything involving “big game hunting.” That’s not an off-branch concept of a guardian; that’s a ranger.

Dragon-hunting in this game seems to involve large battles of flying vessels, armies, and magitech lasers. I don’t see how a light-pewing bow will be taking down dragons any time soon.

It was decided via Reddit that the new specialization is the Arbiter. There is no such thing as a Dragon Hunter.

I could get behind that movement.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Vanguard
DragonKnight
Priest
Patriot