"DragonHunter" name feedback [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Mordeus.1234

Mordeus.1234

The Seeker isn’t exclusive to the White Mantle. In GW1 there were enemies called Charr Seekers who were R/E. The GW1 location Seeker’s Passage were named after a group of pilgrims called the Seekers. There also is an NPC called the Seeker of Whispers who grants the player Lightbringer skills.

Posted by: Bezagron.7352

Bezagron.7352

True Seeker does have a broader scope & name usage;

Enemies

• White Mantle
  • Charr
    Of note most foe seekers were tried to the ranger profession

Allies

• Seeker of Whispers – which looks to be a rank in the Order of Whispers

Environement

• Seekers passage – name after the Seekers who were pilgrims said to have crossed the Crystal Desert in search of a new home.

Seeker of Whisper from my understanding was a collector of information & knowledge.
Seekers were just pilgrims looking for a home & enemy seekers were heavily based in the ranger profession. I would first think of this being a Range Elite before anything else but I now can see it working for DH or any other spec using a bow. I would think lore wise they would derived from a heavy ranger influence, with links to rangers. But unlike DH trap type skills were never used on seekers.

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Since we are all ‘dragon hunters’, just call it what you want. it will be shortened to DH anyways.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: snow.8097

snow.8097

wow still a discussion?
what about waiting? or accepting

Safi/Clio Del Ray |Ranger, Elonas Reach,
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestions-Gemstore-Items/page/31#post4533037
the skrittfinisher was my idea!

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

wow still a discussion?
what about waiting? or accepting

What about them? What would those tactics accomplish if people dislike the name?

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Ephemiel.5694

Ephemiel.5694

They won’t change it, they’re convinced their reasons are enough to keep the name Dragonhunter. If they cared even a little bit, they would’ve said something, so far they haven’t.

“Would you kindly?”

Posted by: thunderfall.8095

thunderfall.8095

Personally am thinking WHY DID THEY NAME IT DRAGIONHUNTER IF IT ONLY HAS ONE SKILL THAT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH DRAGONS. (Dragon Maw, the elite skill)

Mesmers be like: I reject your reality and substitute my own. – compliments to Mythbusters
Plot Twist: Elder Dragons are massive robots created by the Black Lion Trading Company.
Think of the money they make off weapons and armor…

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

They won’t change it, they’re convinced their reasons are enough to keep the name Dragonhunter. If they cared even a little bit, they would’ve said something, so far they haven’t.

Well, they do have a history of not saying something when most people would think saying something is de rigueur. So, ya know, we don’t know. I’d guess they weren’t expecting such a strong reaction. Might still be wondering what went wrong.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Personally am thinking WHY DID THEY NAME IT DRAGIONHUNTER IF IT ONLY HAS ONE SKILL THAT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH DRAGONS. (Dragon Maw, the elite skill)

Probably because names of skills don’t dictate the name of the profession?

I’m convinced Anet has put as much thought into considering the name changes as people have put into suggesting alternative names. Take that for what it’s worth.

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

They did say something, way at the beginning of the thread. Take it for what it’s worth; I’m not remarking on how they said it or why, but they did say something. It really did sound like their mind was made up far earlier than when they even released the spec, and either nobody at Anet was concerned with the name or concerns were brought up but they figured it out and shelved it until the reveal.

Honestly, they’re probably picking the safer choice by not saying anything. Look at it this way:

If they come back to the thread and say “We’ve reconsidered the name and have changed it to X”, a different group of people will be upset, another confused, and yet another not even realize it’s happened. They could have done this through a vote or poll, but it’s been shown that there’s no clear winner right now with the names. Some come to mind, but at a minimum there’s about 4 or 5 that people fervently want.

If they come back to the thread and say “We have made the decision to keep the name because X”, the thread will continue and it will be said that they simply don’t care about the people who don’t like the name.

If they simply don’t respond beyond the official response at the beginning, they only leave people to wonder their considerations. Who knows, maybe they are deliberating changing it, but right now the signs point to “no”, and to just tell the thread again might be seen as rubbing it in the face of the users in this thread.

Posted by: Jaetara.4075

Jaetara.4075

The truth is I didn’t like the name Dragon Hunter from the moment I heard it… Seams a bit immature. Sounds more like a description or a tittle and not a class name… are we all Dragon Hunters after all?
An idea would be to name him just Hunter, but this sounds too simplistic to me. So, I searched for hunter synonyms and I came across two very interesting names:

Venator > hunter in Archaic
&
Shikari > the one who leads the hunt

(edited by Jaetara.4075)

Tachenon.5270

In a way, this name provided ‘challenging group content’, because it became a challenge for the group who liked/accepted it to defend it as well as for the group who disliked/rejected it to provide alternatives.

Much like the Silverwastes, it was fun for a week or two, then the excitement began to fizzle out.

Ultimately, whether the name remains the same or is changed, it remains silly, because the concepts from which it was allegedly derived are incongruous with the setting of GW2.

An equivalently silly dramatization of why the concepts fail:

• Big game hunter?

Dragonhunter: At last! After all these long, lonely hours, I have tracked you down! Oh, how marvelous that huge draconic head shall look, stuffed and mounted upon my living room wall. How envious my peers shall SPLAT.

Dragon: Ewww, what did I just step in?

• Witchhunter equivalent?

Dragonhunter: Foul creature! First I will throw you in the water to determine by your buoyancy whether you are truly a dragon, for I am nothing if not just, and then CRUNCH.

Dragon: I will love him and squeeze him and call him George!

Both concepts are undone by the nature of dragons in Tyria, whether of the elder variety, or the lesser in stature but no less deadly lieutenants/champions, the defeats of which require mass player character enzergization anywhere outside of a story instance. Further, if dragonhunters are not actually out there ‘hunting’ the ‘dragons’, but instead are all about harassing the minions thereof, then the title is rendered even more silly by dint of ‘false advertising’. I suppose, however, that ‘dragonminionhunter’ is not particularly pleasing to the ear.

And so, regardless of the outcome, whether the name is retained or cast down from on high, the great dragonhunter name debate will forever remain a point and laugh moment in the history of GW2.

Final Score: 0 of 5 cows were entertained.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Monarc.9726

Monarc.9726

Not excited about the Dragonhunter, dislike name and gameplay. It’s just out of step with the Guardian archetype and based on 42 pages of comments there is obviously something wrong here.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Not excited about the Dragonhunter, dislike name and gameplay. It’s just out of step with the Guardian archetype and based on 42 pages of comments there is obviously something wrong here.

I’m fine with the gameplay, not enamored of the name as I’ve stated before. I’m not sure the size of the thread proves something is wrong, however. There have been a lot of the same people posting, a lot of the same thoughts reiterated, and I’d ascribe some of the thread’s lifespan to people jumping on the bandwagon who wouldn’t necessarily have minded the name if they hadn’t seen others lambasting it.

I feel the criticisms of the name choice are valid, at least those that go into thoughtful analysis. I would be happy if a re-name occurred. But I’d hope that if ANet did so it would be due to the valid criticisms and not merely because people were loud enough long enough. Why? Because that would mean they were keeping control of their artistic vision while retaining flexibility to correct things that don’t work, rather than letting a committee of malcontents dictate design.

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

I expect the rise of the Dragonhunters to be a notable part of the story, which is why I’m pretty okay with the name. Seeing guardians turn into and function as hunters is something I look forward to seeing demonstrated and explained in the lore.

It should all fit into context well enough once we have actually started playing HoT and seen them woven into the tale.

A few years ago, players reacted the same way to engineers and guns. Tyria isn’t a static world. It changes. The important part is that new pieces fit the slice of the story that they’re in, and I’m sure the Dragonhunter will do that just fine.

I should be writing.

Posted by: Boots.2849

Boots.2849

I actually really like the gameplay they’ve shown of the DH, hence why I hate the name. Because I want to use the spec, yet don’t want people to call me that ridiculous name.

Posted by: dietzero.3514

dietzero.3514

Call it The Nameless.

Mordeus.1234

I expect the rise of the Dragonhunters to be a notable part of the story, which is why I’m pretty okay with the name. Seeing guardians turn into and function as hunters is something I look forward to seeing demonstrated and explained in the lore.

It should all fit into context well enough once we have actually started playing HoT and seen them woven into the tale.

A few years ago, players reacted the same way to engineers and guns. Tyria isn’t a static world. It changes. The important part is that new pieces fit the slice of the story that they’re in, and I’m sure the Dragonhunter will do that just fine.

I don’t expect that the Dragonhunters will play that much of a role in the game’s lore. At best Brahams will become the spec’s representative by incorporating the skills of his mother while Marjorie will represent the Reaper and Kasmeer will represent the Chronomancers. To have a Guardian spec play a bigger role than all the others seems a little unfair, not to mention against the way professions are seen in the game’s lore.

For an example of how the game treats professions and lore, just look at the various organisations/factions already in the game:

- Ash Legion probably suits the Thief, Blood suits the Warrior and Iron suits the Engineer, but any profession could be included into any Charr Legion since there is enough ambiguity.
- College of Statics favors Soldier professions, Dynamics favors Adventurer professions and Synergetics suits Scholar professions, but you could fit your profession into any you want.
- Order of Whispers suits the Thief, The Durmand Priory suits the Scholar professions and the Vigil suits the Soldier professions but you aren’t forced to play as expected.

There may be a faction that is anti-Sylvari with some members who could be Dragonhunters but I think it’s highly unlikely that they will call themselves the Dragonhunters or even be made up of mainly Dragonhunters. That faction will probably be crafted like those organisations I mentioned before where a certain profession or spec makes “sense” but is not enforced in any rigid way.

The opposite of an anti-Sylvari faction would be the Pale Reavers and they were formed by a Necromancer, led by a Mesmer and now led by a Guardian, despite being known for their scouting like quantities that you’d expect of a thief or ranger.

Posted by: Ravezaar.4951

Ravezaar.4951

42pages about the Guardian Elite Spez name, says something about the passion players have for the game and Guardians have for there Class.

Underjordens Furste 80 Necro Piken-server
Servant of Dhuum

Posted by: Dragon Ruler X.8512

Dragon Ruler X.8512

I’m torn on it – I like the name, but I dislike the name.

Part of the reason I like it is because – dragon >.>

Part of the reason I don’t like it is because it has almost nothing to do with dragon’s.

I personally would appreciate ALL the elite specs if there was a story behind each one and how my character “evolved” into this new form.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Call it The Nameless.

Already done on page 38

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: DeT M.4319

DeT M.4319

Sounds more like a description or a tittle and not a class name… are we all Dragon Hunters after all?

Isnt elit spec / profession name… a title anyway? : 3

All Dragon hunters? Well we all are warrior as well.. So rename it as well.

Tachenon.5270

Sounds more like a description or a tittle and not a class name… are we all Dragon Hunters after all?

“There exist only three respectable beings: the priest, the warrior, the poet. To know, to kill, and to create.” ~ Charles Baudelaire

As well to ask, where are the priests and poets of GW2? Our priests are no more, alas, and our respectable poets ne’er existed.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: DeT M.4319

DeT M.4319

“There exist only three respectable beings: the priest, the warrior, the poet. To know, to kill, and to create.” ~ Charles Baudelaire

As well to ask, where are the priests and poets of GW2? Our priests are no more, alas, and our respectable poets ne’er existed.

So we can only kill… ;_;

Tachenon.5270

So we can only kill… ;_;

“All right. It’s instinctive. But the instinct can be fought. We’re human beings with the blood of a million savage years on our hands, but we can stop it. We can admit that we’re killers, but we’re not going to kill today. That’s all it takes. Knowing that we won’t kill today.” ~ J.T. Kirk

Sunshield
Starlighter
Starguard
Auroralist
Dawnguard
Rekindlers (of the fires of justice!)

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Irizol.1947

Irizol.1947

The truth is I didn’t like the name Dragon Hunter from the moment I heard it… Seams a bit immature. Sounds more like a description or a tittle and not a class name… are we all Dragon Hunters after all?
An idea would be to name him just Hunter, but this sounds too simplistic to me. So, I searched for hunter synonyms and I came across two very interesting names:

Venator > hunter in Archaic
&
Shikari > the one who leads the hunt

I like this one

Really,my problem with Dragonhunter lies on the world ‘dragon’ and has nothing to do with ‘hunter’.
I’ve said about it once,but this topic doesn’t seem to be much discussed here compared to typical ‘we are all dragonhunters!’ argument. (or maybe I’ve missed something,I am too lazy for all these 42 pages)

Dragonhunter is too specified and too situational,it brings the feeling that they are here just because of the current event,and serves no purpose after everything has been sorted out(eg. we somehow defeated all dragons or any situations that stop them from wiping us out)
and one post was stated jokingly that Dragonhunters probably wouldn’t help someone being attacked by centaurs because they are not their goals :P

I think it’s ok if they wanted to move the class closer to ranger’s style,wanted to have ‘hunter’ themes. but the names shouldn’t be focused on ‘What to kill’ but rather ‘How to kill’ just like any other elites

Still,it’s up to Anet decision and I’m still waiting for their news

Posted by: ArkisTruefire.1746

ArkisTruefire.1746

Alternatively, they could have used another language (less common) and went with that. Dragonhunter just doesn’t sound at all intimidating… especially the theme they’re going after.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

How I wish to get to see again some kind of red post now, that tells us, to brign an end to this thread, cause they will make a voting with x options for us to choose and that they will rename the class then to the option that wins.

Could be even put together with a little ingame event similar to Cutthroat Politics, where we were able to vote between Kiel and that Charr.
Could be doen this time even more subtle by givign us somethign to do, a little task that has multiple different solutions and in regard of how we solve that task, it ends up as internal vote for one of the rename options.

Example

We receive a letter from our racial leaders, that we should recruit people for her to take these with us as reinforcement troop to go with them to where the battle with Mordremoth started, to Verdant Brink.
In regard of how we end this task, we will send back a letter with our personal “recommendation” of who we recommend as reinforcement.

• do we help out a kind of guardian guild to defeat a bunch of Dragon Minions thats invading a place, this ends up as the Dragonhunter Recommendation.
  • do we help out to bring justice in the name of someone else and hunt down an evil monster, this ends up as Inquisitor Recommendation
  • do we search for the guilty person in that case, instead of hunting down simply the monter thats involved in that case and try to find out the truth, thats the Seeker Recommendation.
  • do we help to protect rather the residents of that place that gets invaded by dragon minions, thats the Warden Recommendation
  • do we help to protect the borderlands rather to stop dragon minion reinforcements to overwhelm the place, thats the Sentinel Recommendation

and so on..I’m sure, you anet could come up with somethign better like that, but thats basically the easiest way thats also fair for everyone to give a voice what should be later the final name of the E-Spec, while giving us players at the same time a tiny bit to do while we wait on HoT.

I think that 42 pages of name dislike should be significant enough to see, that something about this issue must happen and that in a fair way.

(when it then ends up as somethign different, than what we recommended, we get simply a letter back of our racial leaders, with al ittle explanation, job done)

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

They already know the name was a bad choice and have full clarity all the reasons they have used to justify it are weak and thin as a paper. They do care, because they were hoping for a better reaction: this should have been a notable win instead of a heavy and humilliating slip.

Yet they are not going to say nor change anything, because such show of “weakness” in front of their critics and users will not give them any substantial income. People hating this Dragon Hunter name will buy HoT anyway, people that doesn’t care will buy HoT anyway, and the 4 crazy cats that love the name will of course buy HoT.

They already missed the hype oportunity, so now it’s time to minimize loses: instead of answering here and keeping this thread alive for all those movilized haters who would fight to change the name and force Anet to invest resources and recognize mistakes publicly, they will keep quiet until something more interesting brings the oportunity to let this thing behind.

People will forever hate the Dragon Hunter name, but without dialogue it will be a low and distant hate that Anet will never acnowledge.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

If the community could come to a consensus, it doesn’t really matter what ArenaNet wants to call it.

For example: “Mystic Toilet” and “Hobosack”.

Community consensus trumps developer, but from the look of this thread, that consensus won’t happen.

Posted by: Blackworm.2167

Blackworm.2167

That’s pretty hypocritical. I don’t see why the name is bad. Dragons are big and bad things that are plaguing the land. It makes sense that some people would make a crusade out of hunting dragons. That doesn’t mean they’re going to go slay a dragon on their own. Guardians gain their power through faith/devotion (even if it’s not that faith/devotion that supplies the power, it’s apparently how they access it). Their devotion to their cause, saving the world and its people and taking down the dragons (or maybe even just getting revenge for those lost) results in the access Dragon Hunters have to their magic and gives them their name.

I fail to see how “Dragon Hunter” is a bad name, particularly for a heavy-armor profession in a setting where dragons plague the world and threaten to overcome its population.

So because you can’t see why it’s bad, then it’s objectively good. Right…
We’re all dragon hunters, and once all the dragons are dead, “dragon hunters” will be irrelevant.

No we aren’t. First off, “Warrior” is already a profession (one that existed in GW1, mind you), whereas “Dragonhunter” is only a spec. If anything, we’re closer to soldiers, as the pact is more or less an army.

Furthermore, Elementalists, Mesmers, Necromancers, and the like could never be considered “warriors” by any stretch of the imagination, hence why they are categorized as “scholar” professions.

GW1 – Dervish / Warrior –
GW2 – Borlis Pass – Revenant & Warrior –
Steam Profile

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

I don’t like the name, but I think it’s hilarious this thread has over 2000 replies. Man, if people were active in threads that actually try to improve the gampeplay.

Posted by: Guizao.4167

Guizao.4167

That’s pretty hypocritical. I don’t see why the name is bad. Dragons are big and bad things that are plaguing the land. It makes sense that some people would make a crusade out of hunting dragons. That doesn’t mean they’re going to go slay a dragon on their own. Guardians gain their power through faith/devotion (even if it’s not that faith/devotion that supplies the power, it’s apparently how they access it). Their devotion to their cause, saving the world and its people and taking down the dragons (or maybe even just getting revenge for those lost) results in the access Dragon Hunters have to their magic and gives them their name.

I fail to see how “Dragon Hunter” is a bad name, particularly for a heavy-armor profession in a setting where dragons plague the world and threaten to overcome its population.

So because you can’t see why it’s bad, then it’s objectively good. Right…
We’re all dragon hunters, and once all the dragons are dead, “dragon hunters” will be irrelevant.

No we aren’t. First off, “Warrior” is already a profession (one that existed in GW1, mind you), whereas “Dragonhunter” is only a spec. If anything, we’re closer to soldiers, as the pact is more or less an army.

Furthermore, Elementalists, Mesmers, Necromancers, and the like could never be considered “warriors” by any stretch of the imagination, hence why they are categorized as “scholar” professions.

Definitions of warrior:

1. One who is engaged in or experienced in battle.
2. One who is engaged aggressively or energetically in an activity, cause, or conflict.

Realising that Guild Wars 2 is not a pacific game (LOL), ANY profession is engaged at the battle it’s facing, so…just because three professions are categorized as scholars doesn’t semantically take away their valid quality as warriors. As a matter of fact, the heavy-armor professions are categorized as soldiers, and soldier has the following means:

1. One who serves in an army.
2. An enlisted person or a noncommissioned officer.
3. An active, loyal, or militant follower of an organization.

Throughout Guild Wars 2 personal storylines, you can see scholars professions and other different professions being regarded as ‘soldiers’.

It’s all about THE COLORS

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

I’m resigned by now to due to Anet not giving us any indication they’ll pay attention to our concerns over the name. So I’ll just spec myself as Dragon Humper and ridicule the name, but enjoy the elite spec.

In my mind, I’ll just be Guardian and I’ll never say the DH name ever…

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Mordeus.1234

There is a simple test to whether a specialisation name is decent or not. Just ask yourself if it can only be linked to a specific profession.

e.g.

- When you think of the Chronomancer, there is only one profession that would suit time manipulation magic.

- When you think of the Druid, there is only one profession that would suit nature based magic.

- When you think of the Reaper, there is only one profession that would suit the reaping of souls.

- When you think of the Tempest, there is only one profession that could control an elemental storm.

However…

- When you think of the Dragonhunter, there are many professions that could be considered hunters of dragons. Firstly the Ranger, then the Warrior and then maybe the Guardian or Thief.

It really is a simple test that all but one specialization passes. The links between Mesmer/Chronomancer, Ranger/Druid, Necromancer/Reaper and Elementalist/Tempest are incredibly strong and could not be linked to any other profession no matter how hard you try.

Posted by: Puls.5867

Puls.5867

TripperTrapper or PewPewKnight

Tsento – Mesmer | Timcarnate – Revenant | Timigami – Necromancer

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

I’m resigned by now to due to Anet not giving us any indication they’ll pay attention to our concerns over the name. So I’ll just spec myself as Dragon Humper and ridicule the name, but enjoy the elite spec.

In my mind, I’ll just be Guardian and I’ll never say the DH name ever…

I loathe this name, but ArenaNet better put effort into the lore to justify this name. More importantly, I’m hoping that the revisions to the non-elite profession specializations means that they will be reworking the DH elite specializations. The names are uninspiring and hardly evocative of dragonhunting.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: GammaBreaker.9102

GammaBreaker.9102

Could not have picked a more lackluster name for the Guardian’s evolution.

Can’t say as I’m thrilled about the theme, or really the whole “elite spec” thing as a whole. Interest dwindled after the NPE shenanigans, and this isn’t reeling me back in, from what’s been said. Then again, I never liked the trait system either. It can’t possibly be worse.

Posted by: shogei.8015

shogei.8015

Yes. it’s a sucky name. But Anet have said they would like to see all professions have all weapons at some point, which means lots of specializations to come. Perhaps the cool name you have come up with has already been tagged to another spec.

Anyway, if you don’t like the name then don’t use it. I will continue calling my guardian a guardian, even if I specialize. And if I see someone in chat or LFG saying they are a “DH”, my mind will translate that to “designated hitter” and I will happily hum along.

Guild warrior for life!

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Anyway, if you don’t like the name then don’t use it. I will continue calling my guardian a guardian, even if I specialize. And if I see someone in chat or LFG saying they are a “DH”, my mind will translate that to “designated hitter” and I will happily hum along.

If I see DH, I assume Demon Hunter, and then I go play Diablo 3 for a while. =P

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Bingo.2174

Bingo.2174

It is confirmed that Braham picls up Eir’s bow and becomes the Dragonhunter. http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3a7rfu/i_guess_we_were_right_about_braham_becoming_a/

This alone is enough reason to change the class name. i don’t want an NPC’s motives forced on my player toon!

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

That’d be maybe half the compelling argument you’re acting like it is IF we didn’t know that the Dragonhunters are a whole faction within the larger Guardian community and not just one kittened off Norn.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Bingo.2174

Rytlok is the first Revenant and the Revs follow in his footsteps.
Marjory is the first reaper and the Necros learn from her.
Whatshername is the first Chronomancer and the Mesmers learn from her.

The “primary” of each class sets the tone and it’s pretty clear Braham is the Dragonhunter primary. The unfortunate thing is that dragonhunting is SO specific, especially when paired with the fact the developers really stressed the “big game hunter!” aspect of the class (it’s even in the traitline several times) that there’s no other way to interpret the class name: Braham is hunting down the dragon the whole advanced class is pinned to do that, too.

It wouldn’t be so bad except that this theme is so very clearly tacked on at the last second. None of the actual LB or trap skills have anything to do with hunting dragons and the class is no better AT hunting dragons. Dragon’s Maw, the elite, can kinda squeak by as “ok… that’s dragon themed I guess” but why are we hunting dragons with a dragon skinned elite that could’ve easily been graphically skinned as ANYTHING else.

Mordeus.1234

At the moment there is no in-game evidence of an actual Dragonhunter faction of NPC Guardians. The only mention of a faction comes from Jon Peters and it was part of his personal justification for the Dragonhunter name. His use of “faction” could very well be synonymous with “elite specialization”.

Anything related to this faction idea is speculation at this point, while Braham being the originator of the Dragonhunter profession now has an important piece of evidence backing it up. Before Jon Peters posted about a Dragonhunter faction, no-one was talking about the possibility of a Dragonhunter faction. While the original Dragonhunter Braham theory has been talked about from the beginning of the Dragonhunter reveal and now we have proof.

Besides if the faction does have an in-game basis, it could be created by Braham and led by Braham, which would enforce the other side’s criticism despite there being a “faction”.

Posted by: JNetRocks.3652

JNetRocks.3652

…but the names shouldn’t be focused on ‘What to kill’ but rather ‘How to kill’ just like any other elites.

Agree completely. Dragonhunter is too focused on one element. Am I no longer effective in SPvP? Should I stop killing centaurs, ettin and Flame Legion charr just because they aren’t dragons?

Posted by: Kury.8210

Kury.8210

Think we can get a “savant” class?

Doesn’t really matter what game. I’ve always disliked classes solely defined by what they killed. I’m fine with an order named after what they kill, particularly if the game is entirely about getting rid of that particular foe. However, it makes little sense if they’re regularly killing beasties not in their résumé. Makes even less sense if the name belongs to one of many classes all striving to eradicate this one particular type of nasty.

I can live with a name or two I dislike. Not gonna stop me from enjoying a good gripe though.

-insert man beating horse-
-insert horse eating beats-
-insert dragon in band with horse bone drumsticks-

Bingo.2174

Think we can get a “savant” class?

Doesn’t really matter what game. I’ve always disliked classes solely defined by what they killed. I’m fine with an order named after what they kill, particularly if the game is entirely about getting rid of that particular foe. However, it makes little sense if they’re regularly killing beasties not in their résumé. Makes even less sense if the name belongs to one of many classes all striving to eradicate this one particular type of nasty.

I can live with a name or two I dislike. Not gonna stop me from enjoying a good gripe though.

-insert man beating horse-
-insert horse eating beats-
-insert dragon in band with horse bone drumsticks-

Too true. Most people aren’t on about the hutner part of the name.We don’t seem to like it but it’s whatever. It’s the highly specific DRAGONhunter “go get your big game” class theme that’s wretched.

Since I’m already whinging, I’s insult to injury that this crap name robs us of a cool weapon (druid staff, necro gs, chrono shield) and armor(chronomancer shoulder, necro hood). All we get is a “dragon” bow which is out dragon-ed any day of the week by the Jade Dragon bow and a glove that looks like a muppet. They’re basically dragonbash rejects.

Posted by: Shiro Tegachii.5619

Shiro Tegachii.5619

still hate the name, Templar/Zealot/Paragon/BA-NA-NA

Bingo.2174

If you think Dragonhunters got a fair shake, look at these images:

Dragon hunter: https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/f4d76Glamor-1.jpg

Druid: https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/179625/Druid_shoulders.jpg

Reaper: https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/bc1afGlamor-1.jpg

Chronomancer: http://totallygamergirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/guild_wars_2_heart_of_thorns_chronmancer_02.jpg

Druid, Reaper, Chronomancer all capture the essence of the class and provide stylistically complementary weapon and gear pieces. The teams that developed them had a clear image they wanted to represent.

Dragonhunter, on the other hand, is sold as a big-game-hunter, given a bow that is back line support, kitted-out in two laughably dull dragon-pieces, and then spun by the community managers as a zealous “witch hunter”. It’s all over the place!

Anyway, with the images of Braham and Eir’s bow, it’s quite clear Anet is making us dragonhunters because Braham is a guardian and he has a bone to pick with Mordermoth. It’s fine if they want Kasmeer and Majory and Rytlock to be the “exemplars” of other classes but not every class needs to follow they Destiny Edge counterpart. It’s bad, contrived storytelling and it is trying to shoehorn a popular class into a role that doesn’t fit it.

PS: One final image to leave you all with.
http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/gw2-guardian-elite-specialization-teaser.jpg

The image above is what hyped everyone: it’s an image of a specialized guardian, nothing more or less. No dragon theme.

(And as a tiny grievance, the colors are even right in the teaser image whereas dragonhunter was revealed in shades of… copper?)

(edited by Bingo.2174)

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

If that Brahamtheory really was the reason they should have just told us so.
Heck, they could have even implemented it in the beta story line…

So far, not enough background, still waiting for a proper and more throught out dev response, which doesn`t seem to come ever seeing the lenght of this thread and the appearence of devs within