"DragonHunter" name feedback [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

40 Something pages, and still nothing in regards to this from Anet. It’s… disheartening.

I think that this topic has reached 40something pages is the more disheartening bit =P

Posted by: Adamixos.6785

Adamixos.6785

I gave DH a go with this beta. It plays smooth, and I enjoy it, overall. Even the traps do it quite well for me. However, I cannot stress this enough: “Dragon Hunter”, as a name for this specialization, is completely out of place, and I have also noticed a lack of orientation in the whole concept.

The improved virtues (which I absolutely love!) have a very strong GW1 Paragon feeling, along with most of the skill and trait names, which seem to be in line with the general idea of a “Guardian that is more focused on offense”. Then, we have our respective easter eggs: the elite skill “Dragon’s Maw”, and the trait “Big Game Hunter”. And they really stink to me. The only thing -they- are in line with is the name “Dragon Hunter” itself, but not the rest of the traits and skills.

To me it seems like that somewhere, early in development of this spec., the devs had a great idea for building the longbow gameplay into the profession, but somewhere along the road someone had the thought “Guys, we’re making a game about dragons, we need a class that has dragon in its name.”, and just like that, the ‘high concept’ of the Dragon Hunter was pulled over whatever the dev team had originally, and then wrote that disappointingly poor revelation post a few months back.

Dragon Hunter lacks a theme, it can’t decide if it’s an improved Guardian or a Ranger wannabe. So far, all the other elite specializations have built on their respective professions both mechanically and conceptually, giving us truly unique and likeable results. And whilst the Dragon Hunter definitely succeeds in building on the Guardian mechanically, it utterly fails at doing so conceptually.

I believe that rethinking and adjusting the concept is inevitable. Dragon Hunter is a cheap name and a cheap concept, derogatory to the amazing profession it is trying to build upon.

Instead, go ahead and change it to the Avenger it was originally meant to be, but wasn’t named so because the spec revelation happened to be around the time of the airing of the Avengers movie (fun fact: Dragonhunter was revealed on the same day when the movie aired in Hungary and Poland).

But conspiracy theories aside, I do believe that a name change is in due for DH, whether the new one be Avenger, Sentinel, or whatever else that relates to the core concept of the profession. My personal choice would be Avenger, as apparently naming the elite specs after PvP titles is not an issue either (see: Reaper), and honestly, I can see that name going well with most of the abilities and traits the specialization currently has.

(edited by Adamixos.6785)

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

Dragon Hunter lacks a theme, it can’t decide if it’s an improved Guardian or a Ranger wannabe. So far, all the other elite specializations have built on their respective professions both mechanically and conceptually, giving us truly unique and likeable results. And whilst the Dragon Hunter definitely succeeds in building on the Guardian mechanically, it utterly fails at doing so conceptually.

I believe that rethinking and adjusting the concept is inevitable. Dragon Hunter is a cheap name and a cheap concept, derogatory to the amazing profession it is trying to build upon.

I heard similar sentiments from people in map chat about the DH this weekend.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Taellan.3654

Taellan.3654

The basic story of the “Dragon Hunter” is that of a religious/judicial (or vigilante) individual or organization who “… believes justice is the eradication of dragons and their minions.”

This makes sense, but I agree that “dragonhunter” is still a bit off. If they insist on keeping dragon in the name, I think “dragonbane” is more accurate and rolls off the tongue better.

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

The basic story of the “Dragon Hunter” is that of a religious/judicial (or vigilante) individual or organization who “… believes justice is the eradication of dragons and their minions.”

This makes sense, but I agree that “dragonhunter” is still a bit off. If they insist on keeping dragon in the name, I think “dragonbane” is more accurate and rolls off the tongue better.

Dragonborne!

Posted by: Mordeus.1234

Mordeus.1234

Funnily enough, the Herald sounds like it would have been a good alternative to the Dragonhunter name. Not to mention it sounds like it would have made a fitting Guardian elite specialization too.

It also eats away at the argument that you can’t call an elite specialization after something already existing in the game. In this instance, we had the Heralds who are members of the Order of Whispers and are also town NPCs. So names like Seraph, Warden, etc… are now open for consideration thanks to the rev’s elite specialization conflicting with other “heralds”.

Posted by: MAGpie.7962

MAGpie.7962

Funnily enough, the Herald sounds like it would have been a good alternative to the Dragonhunter name. Not to mention it sounds like it would have made a fitting Guardian elite specialization too.

It also eats away at the argument that you can’t call an elite specialization after something already existing in the game. In this instance, we had the Heralds who are members of the Order of Whispers and are also town NPCs. So names like Seraph, Warden, etc… are now open for consideration thanks to the rev’s elite specialization conflicting with other “heralds”.

And you don’t even need to do that. There are more than enough words in the language to describe something that actually relates to the them:

• Paladin
  • Overseer
  • Sentinel
  • Keeper
  • Curator
  • Preserver to name but a few

I am starting to suspect that anet is trying to break the guardian elite spec away from the original motive of a “guardian” in the light of this newly revealed Herald spec, placing a higher importance on the new class by devaluing the older.

Posted by: cupcakesandcatnomz.3924

cupcakesandcatnomz.3924

Kinda proves that arenanet only selectively listens to its players, gw2 might die because of these kind of bad choices :x

Posted by: lorddarkflare.9186

lorddarkflare.9186

Kinda proves that arenanet only selectively listens to its players, gw2 might die because of these kind of bad choices :x

Listening does not mean they are required to act or agree.

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

They do have that nifty jumping move….

DRAGOON!

You’re welcome.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

DRAGOON!

You’re welcome.

This at least would be a working name, if the class design would be alot more about being a classical “Dragon Knight” and lesser about being a 3 in 1 abomination that is partwise designed as Witch Hunter with a kind of holy punishing style that uses light magic traps to catch the evil, with only the absolute controverse style of beign a “big game hunter” at the same time, what is something completely different, than a Witch Hunter and mixed all that crap together then with an Elite Skill, that is designed after a Dragon Head.

Dragoon per se would work, its a working profession name, that actually sounds also like a profession, that is unique, where you can’t say simply that everybody is a Dragoon, unlike you can do this with Dragon Hunter, which is just only a stupid generic title for everybody.

But for Dragoon to work perfectly, Anet would have to change in my opinion the Class Mechanic from Active Virtues to Jumps, all of their Class Mechanic skilsl should be then different Jumps thta would give the class some good mobility which could be used also either as attacks, as support or as control effects based on which kind of Jump Skill you use.

And the Trap Utility Skills would have to be exchanged out, would give a Dragoon instead Stances
Also the Weapon weould have to be changed out, away with the Longbow and giving them Spears for Land Combat as Polearm Weapons…

in the end as you see, it would be all too much work to make a Dragoon possible, if you want to have in the end a Dragono Class, that actualyl works also like a trustworthy Dragoon and not like a Wannabe-Witch Hunter

It is way better and simpler, just to rename the Class to something, that fits already to the 90% consistent design of beign a GW2 like Witch Hunter and name it something like Inquisitor, Seeker, Keeper, Custodian, Warden ect.

and then change accordingly to this name some of the few irritating Trait Names that have to do with Big Game Hunting and completely change the design of the Elite Skill to something like instead of a Dragon Head appearing a huge Light Spear Head that impales enemies which run into that trap. and the whole class design would be then finally consistent like all others with:

• a Class Name
  • Traits and
  • Class Skills

which do all fit to each other by their design ,by their gameplay and their intention of what they should stand for as a Class – namely an aggressively holy pursuing Guardian, which seeks the evil nemesis of this world, to destroy it anmd that in an active way, unlike the Guardian ,who woudl do it in a passive way by waiting on the dragons, until they come, so that he can protect something, the Inquisitor/Seeeker ect. goes directly to the root of the poroblem and confronts it, before he needs to protect something, because his way of protectign the world is actively erading out the the problem from the world once and forever by seeking it with his light magic traps to destroy it then easily, while the target is caught in the traps.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Re: Dragoon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragoon

The word dragoon originally meant mounted infantry, who were trained in horse riding as well as infantry fighting skills. However, usage altered over time and during the 18th century, dragoons evolved into conventional light cavalry units and personnel. Dragoon regiments were established in most European armies during the late 17th and early 18th centuries.

Mounts confirmed?

The name is possibly derived from a type of firearm (called a dragon) carried by dragoons of the French Army.12

…Y’know, I would rather have rifles than longbows.

The title has been retained in modern times by a number of armoured or ceremonial mounted regiments.

I can practically hear the No Mounts cry. XD

And yet, I’d still take Dragoon over Dragon Hunter. Or Dragonhunter. Or whatever it is. ;_;
Sadly, the name fits the design. Both are muddled and confused concepts that don’t synergize with the rest of the Guardian class.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

MAGpie.7962

Muddled and confused concepts is a good summery of it indeed.

Posted by: makagoto.1204

makagoto.1204

Muddled and confused concepts is a good summery of it indeed.

I agree it sounded interesting at first but it was the least played elite spec in BWE for me.
I simply didn’t feel the whole concept of it afer trying it out, my conclusion now is i could care less but the name still keeps me laughing when i read/hear it :-)
I wonder if i will see any guardians who will use the longbow, because the guardian already has stronger traits to choose from.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

DRAGOON!

You’re welcome.

Why would a name refering to mounted infantry or light cavalry be appropriate in a game without mounts?

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

Ele: I get to become a Tempest and overload my attunements.
Necro: Nice, I get to become death itself and will be called Reaper.
Mesmer: Well, I turn into a Chronomancer and control time. How about you?
Guardian: I will be a Dragonhunter.
Ele: What? O_o
Necro: We all get to hunt dragons, you know?
Mesmer: We are not RPing here, be serious.
Guardian: I really become a Dragonhunter and I get to use my Spear of Justice-
Necro: For the last time, we are not allowed to use underwater weapons on land!
Guardian: It’s not an underwater weapon, it’s my new Virtue. I also get Wings of Re-
Ele: Not this again. You were told we are all getting gliders, they are not really wings!
Guardian: No no, that’s also my new Virtue, I also get a Longbow and Traps-
Necro: No class change! To think you would misunderstand this again…
Ele: Next he is going to say he can have a dragon as pet or mount!
Mesmer: Guardian, I think you’re just confused on who you want to become, and that’s coming from a Mesmer.
Necro: No, he’s just an idiot, just leave him be. Dragonhurrdurr, I swear the stupid things he comes up with sometimes… <shakes head>

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

Dragonslayer has almost the same meaning but sounds far less stupid.

But no, we have to get Dragonhunter because Braham decides to change class after Eir’s death. If you want to be a Ranger just be a Ranger, not an hybrid class.

(edited by Kidel.2057)

Posted by: Tskales.2804

Tskales.2804

It would appear that this thread is about as much use as the hobosack one.

At least in 3 years time they’ll finally change this stupid name.

“I’m sure glad that A-net is spending the 20 minutes or so that it would take to remove
the hobosack on making more important additions to the game.
Like golden pigs for the gem store” – Gern.2978

Posted by: makagoto.1204

makagoto.1204

Guardian: It’s not an underwater weapon, it’s my new Virtue. I also get Wings of Re-
Ele: Not this again. You were told we are all getting gliders, they are not really wings!
Mesmer: Guardian, I think you’re just confused on who you want to become, and that’s coming from a Mesmer.
Necro: No, he’s just an idiot, just leave him be. Dragonhurrdurr, I swear the stupid things he comes up with sometimes… <shakes head>

lol, that gave me a good laugh again!!!
now for everybody, try to say Dragonhunter without a big grin on your face :-)

Rauderi.8706

lol, that gave me a good laugh again!!!
now for everybody, try to say Dragonhunter without a big grin on your face :-)

I try, but it may forever come out as Dragonhurrdurr. Which sounds like Dragonherder. Which makes me think we’re getting a bonnet and crook staff. :P

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Frediosz.2718

Frediosz.2718

Bowgurd – another useful thing next to Bowbear.

Hell yeah!

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

Ah man. I needed that. DH has been such a let down for me. xD Please tell me this is a “to be continued”. I shall stay tuned. XD

Genesis.8572

Beautiful. Well done!

Tarnished Coast

MAGpie.7962

Still waiting for the rest of that story, Turtle.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Dragonhurrdurr. Now THAT is a memorable profession name.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Genesis.8572

Very high concept too. ;-p

Tarnished Coast

cupcakesandcatnomz.3924

A guardian with a bow should be called a bowner, do it or riots!

Rauderi.8706

A guardian with a bow should be called a bowner, do it or riots!

Bowdian, Guardibow, or RIOT!

…Maybe we can just change Dargonhurrdurr to Riot. Then we can have a bunch of bow-guardians camping Moto’s place every April 1st.
(Still a better love story than Twilight.)

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I still like my old concept of “Guaranger”. Its much more didactical.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Rauderi.8706

I still like my old concept of “Guaranger”. Its much more didactical.

Ranguardian? Not quite rolling off the tongue, that one.

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: Caerbanog.3410

Caerbanog.3410

The best DragonHunter is already in the game.

Attachments:

Kidel.2057

Instead, go ahead and change it to the Avenger it was originally meant to be, but wasn’t named so because the spec revelation happened to be around the time of the airing of the Avengers movie (fun fact: Dragonhunter was revealed on the same day when the movie aired in Hungary and Poland).

Source?

Regardless Avenger and Dragonslayer are better names.

Avenger even makes sense with the Eir death stuff that will bring Braham to this spec.

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

Jesus christ you guys are still whining about this?

Kidel.2057

this is probably mi second post in this thread, so I’m pretty sure it is being populated by posts by many different users.

Posted by: Fantastic.5298

Fantastic.5298

lol happy to see this post is still getting attention

cupcakesandcatnomz.3924

Its the only way to get kitten done around here so yeah, we’re still whining about this :>

Posted by: ArkisTruefire.1746

ArkisTruefire.1746

Why does anyone care that we whine? People are unhappy with the name, so we voice our opinions.

The fact still stands, the whole theme of the Dragonhunter has yet to be shown. Still no lore, still no feel. It’s all clunky. No where near the level of “Witch Hunter” or “Demon Hunter” in any way. This is especially true after playing in the first BWE.

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

I have no problem with the name.

My problem is Would any good guardian be using a longbow to fight though???

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I have no problem with the name.

My problem is Would any good guardian be using a longbow to fight though???

Grandmaster – Hunter’s Fortification: The area effect protection was bland and, while defensive, didn’t really portray the more selfish dragonhunter nature that likes to hold an advantage over their enemies.

-Karl

They aren’t Guardians. Its something of a radical militant sect.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Mavander.3208

Mavander.3208

Why do you think it’s such a bad name? It’s absolutely fitting. Its a bow wielding knight in a land filled with dragons. If you faced a dragon and all you had was a sword/mace/whatever, would you stand much of a chance? The sucker can fly. You’re gunna wanna shoot it down. Guess what? You have just traded in your melee weapon for a bow in order to better combat this new threat. People might look at you and call you a dragonhunter. Because that’s what you are trying to be. Doesn’t that make sense?

Call yourself whatever you like but if Anet calls you a dragonhunter then that’s up to them.

Posted by: Heraldusluminare.2946

Heraldusluminare.2946

Lol, I don’t personally think it’s a terrible name… just that it sounds like it’s pigeonholing me into only hunting down dragons.

What if I wanted to hunt Quaggans?

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Umm.. There is allready many threads about this. There is a complaint about all Elite spec names just below this post when I write this.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Mavander.3208

Mavander.3208

Umm.. There is allready many threads about this. There is a complaint about all Elite spec names just below this post when I write this.

I am aware.

Posted by: symke.3105

symke.3105

It looks like they left the choice of names to a group of teenagers.

Posted by: Maximus.8376

Maximus.8376

Better that then letting the grown-up babies decide.

Kidel.2057

Can we get a petition for Avenger?

Posted by: Shaw Bloodlust.9517

Shaw Bloodlust.9517

DragonHodor I hear?

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

GUYS! We won’t have the worst name anymore! I’m OK with this.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: EsarioOne.9840

EsarioOne.9840

GUYS! We won’t have the worst name anymore! I’m OK with this.

Nope, we still do >.<

Kidel.2057

Since the vast majority of the community doesn’t like this name, and the initial name for this spec was supposed to be Avenger, why don’t we boycott “Dragonhunter” and just call it “Avenger” between us?

I’m pretty sure that if the whole community uses a different name for the spec, we’ll get their attention. And if not, we still are picking the better name.

We can change reality together.