Dragonstand disappointment

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

This is all just my opinions. I’m aware that a number of people like the dragon’s stand meta event, and i’ll admit that it was very visually impressive, but…

Mechanically, this map fails, i feel, on a number of counts. You can only jump on board at a very specific time (when the new map cycle opens) – if you don’t do so then, you are S.O.L. – the good maps are either full or unadvertised, and the maps you get put into are insufficiently progressed to make it on time (or just plain disinterested in trying).

Mordremoth, presumably, has been there some time. He’s been eating a lot of ley energy. I find it strains my suspension of disbelief that he doesn’t already have enough power to blitz us anytime he likes, but rather only gets to that point a short while after we finally get to him. Much more likely that he’s been putting all his absorbed power to use, and would only start reserving energy to kill us all after he became aware of our presence.

With that in mind, there’s no good reason why this map should be on a timer, as opposed to a progress bar – a progress bar which would only start to fill once our presence (and actions) became significant enough to alert the dragon.

The fight itself is very visually spectacular, like i said, but it lacks any real sense of Urgency, or even of combating a powerful, nearly insurmountable opponent. Instead of an enraged, overpoweringly dangerous elder dragon whom we must desperately fight to finally destroy, we’re faced with a somewhat testy creature who tries halfheartedly to swat us down, while we disinterestedly prod at whatever piece of him he brings in range, until he finally gets so bored he commits suicide by tree.

It’s… a little disappointing.

Posted by: Daralii.8940

Daralii.8940

He doesn’t commit suicide by tree, his brain explodes as a result of our actions in the last story instance. He’s never under any real threat in Dragon’s Stand because he can regenerate whenever he wants, but he has to rush to us(ignoring that, as commander of the Pact, we’re in two places at once…) or he’s done for.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

He doesn’t commit suicide by tree, his brain explodes as a result of our actions in the last story instance. He’s never under any real threat in Dragon’s Stand because he can regenerate whenever he wants, but he has to rush to us(ignoring that, as commander of the Pact, we’re in two places at once…) or he’s done for.

Actually lore wise, it makes more sense that the Dragon Stand events take place before the end of the personal storyline.

It’s one of those things were arenanet decided it’s better to let players finish the story before mastering the event. Immersion might have been better if it had been the other way around (same goes for the other maps too by the way), but the outcry of rage and frustration might have been huge.