Druid better be something special

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: NapTooN.6283

NapTooN.6283

Yea i am waiting for the reveal be for i decide if i want to continue my gw2 experience- raids drop my interest allot- my only fear with druid is that it will be ground targeting like the necro staff . really needs a cast on person option

It was datamined that there will be an Option that places your Ground Targeting Cursor directly onto your actual target if you are in range.

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

You know what would make the druid something to behold? If pets were turned into spirit versions that only appeared when you attack a with a pet attack or action. Basically removing the auto attack from pets and baking it into the ranger itself. That would solve one issue, but as Random said, there would still be the fact that Rangers offer nothing to a group.

Heck, anet could significantly increase the value of both engineers and rangers if they just turned several skills into combo fields.

… yea like engi wouldnt bring anything to the group. Dont insult us… with our fire fields, water fields, smoke fields, poison, frost and light fields we got 14 available fields… 15 if you count in that one of these is either light or smoke with a 50-50 chance and doubles as a wall of reflect on said light field and our arround 15 available blast finishers on skills, kits and weapons that allow for seamless support and additional ones through traits, our aoe heal(s) and pretty solid group condi removal if needed, our pretty darn good cc and good survivability aswell the ability to quickly adapt to pretty much almost every encounter and depending on who you ask highest condi damage in game at this point, sure the rotation is complex for that but possible…aswell pretty darn solid direct damage, especially with grenades and even the bomb kit and vun stacking on EACH explosive related attack…whats quite a lot. Also engi can stack might by just using elixir related skills on the team… just throwing that in. If you really think an engineer got no value to a team then i will point at you and laugh with pleasure and i suggest you to go to the wiki and atleast read what the engi skills do before you throw something THAT stupid on the table.

Your DPS is subpar in PvE, there are some engi’s in PvP but again suffer from sub par damage, in WvW you can be replaced easily by Ele which can do so much more than you (all the fields aren’t needed here, the ones that are can be provided by more rounded classes). You have a role in solo and small group WvW and can excel here, but let’s be real zerg rarely blast fields, they run around mashing 1 while ignoring what the rest of their zerg mates are doing.

Group utility is very important, but so is damage, survivability, support. Currently in PvE you need might fields, maybe a smoke from time to time, these can be provided by classes that can easily double your DPS. Same can be said for WvW organized play where people actually pay attention to fields, might/water/static for speed and the occasional smoke field. You can provide some of these fields but even your fields are sub par to others.

What I should have said originally is you suffer from a combination of lack of support and/or dps. Engi’s have a lot of utility (not always easily recognizable mid fight but you have it) but suffer from DPS. Rangers can provide some DPS but suffer from lack of utility (even their DPS can be sub par due to relying on pets for 30%).

I hope that clears things up for you. You can love your class all you like but it needs help to bring it on par with others.

(edited by Random.4691)

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

I did not read every post in this thread, so forgive me if this has been brought up.

When looking through the forum on Rangers, there was one data-mined image for the Druid spec that only depicted three animals: Bear, Wolf, and Raven(or some predatory bird). Then I recall watching one of Wooden Potato’s videos that had footage of the first press beta for the GW2. In that video he mentioned that at one point ANet had the idea of the ranger controlling 3 pets at the same time.

Data-mined image
http://i.imgur.com/mxeqJcc.png

WP vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZNDw1BBBTM

Additionally, that-shaman data-mined the skills for the Elite specialization as a Druid had symbols and glyphs (such as an elementalist’s) I can picture the staff skills such as immobilize with vines, poisonous flowers growing, and other nature based skills, and the utility skills being conjure a bear, wolf, predatory spirit to attack (and not assume the shape of a predator similar to Norn’s racial skill).

In one of Wooden Potatoes most recent vides at 1:32 he shows Anet’s HOT Specialization data mined image with the Druid included:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2sJr2DnvdU

And in the image there is no pet visible, just the Druid.

In my dreams, I’d love to see a dodge skill for Ranger’s current pets, since the pet makes up 35-45 percent of Rangers total damage But that will never happen

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

Random.4691

I said it before, I’m almost positive I read somewhere that pets were going to be optional, but for the life of me I can’t remember when and where I read this.

Posted by: SemiProBBQ.8946

SemiProBBQ.8946

Yeah, Rangers were in a good place when you could run a longbow build that hammered out 25k dmg rapid fires, but since the trait overhaul in preparation to HoT, that’s no longer possible so folks are going back to the older, less effective builds.

I could get 12-15k on squishy if every single shot landed, didn’t get any dodges, misses, blocked, out of range etc in full zerk. What were you running for that?!

He could of been talking about PvE scenarios, in which case i still hit 25k rapid fires so I don’t know what he’s complaing about

Delecroix – Ranger master race

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Yeah, Rangers were in a good place when you could run a longbow build that hammered out 25k dmg rapid fires, but since the trait overhaul in preparation to HoT, that’s no longer possible so folks are going back to the older, less effective builds.

I could get 12-15k on squishy if every single shot landed, didn’t get any dodges, misses, blocked, out of range etc in full zerk. What were you running for that?!

He could of been talking about PvE scenarios, in which case i still hit 25k rapid fires so I don’t know what he’s complaing about

Go take a look at how much hundred blades can do in the same amount of time ranger uses lb2….go look at Ele and their OP AOEs or single target deeps.

You will be in awe when you see a real class doing damage.

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

“Druid better be something special” Don’t hold your breath………

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: Tskales.2804

Tskales.2804

The best thing Druid can do for the Ranger is do away with the pet altogether.

“I’m sure glad that A-net is spending the 20 minutes or so that it would take to remove
the hobosack on making more important additions to the game.
Like golden pigs for the gem store” – Gern.2978

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I said it before, I’m almost positive I read somewhere that pets were going to be optional, but for the life of me I can’t remember when and where I read this.

I think what you mean is you read that pets are never going to be optional and you read it in every post that a dev makes addressing the question.

Pets aren’t going anywhere. No one else lost their class mechanic or got it replaced entirely.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Random.4691

I think what you mean is you read that pets are never going to be optional and you read it in every post that a dev makes addressing the question.

Pets aren’t going anywhere. No one else lost their class mechanic or got it replaced entirely.

We shall see.

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

Pleeeeeeaaaaaseeee don’t let it be as bad as the Tempest.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

I don’t think it will be, honestly.
I expected strong boon duration and party buffs for the drood, more reliable proj control, more boons and more valuable team support, but they already gave everything cool to the revenant – and revs aren’t crippled by a pet that will be 24/7 dead in new aoe-intensive content.
It’s not even whining, I simply don’t have hope for the class anymore.
A good thing for me: rev is fun to play. So is guard, so is mes.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Faulty recall of the Ranger CDI. Players suggested numerous ways of going about it.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Random.4691

Naw it wasn’t the CDI it was just after the xpac was announced.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Naw it wasn’t the CDI it was just after the xpac was announced.

Well, considering the druid as seen with a Pet in the trailer, id say its going to have a pet, it might not function the same as the regular ranger pet, but it will have one.

I dont know if this is still Anets stance on the ranger, but here, they are listed as “Alongside their pet”

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/cdi/Collaborative-Development-Ranger-Profession/first

I dont think they will be loosing their class mechanic anytime soon.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Thats what I personally concepted/hope for the Druid to become:

Class Specific Skill Mechanic:

Bestial Shamanism
Bestial Shamanism replaces your Pets with a new Shapeshifting Mechanism that lets you still have Pets as little Tanks at your side, but you can’t control their Skills anymore, instead you use them to fusionize with them and become one with each other by shapeshifting together into a Beast.

The Druid will receive for each Pet Class a different Bestial Form that will replace the Skill Bar with Bestial Skills when shapeshifting via Bestial Shamanism.
The Class has a total of 12 Pet Classes, this means the Druid will receive 12 Beast Forms each having their own Beastial Skills, which is the reason, why they need for the Druid the longest time, because Anet simply had to make for this Class the most new skills for this Elite Specialization!!
Thus the Druid will be the Alpha and Omega, presented at first and revealed at last.
12*5 = 60 Skills in 1 Elite Specialization that gives this Class a gigantic Build Diversity boost based on which Pets Classes you use!!

Using Canines = Turns you into the Beast “Fenrir”
Using Birds = Turns you into the Beast “Quetzalcotl”
Using Armored Fishs = Turns you into the Beast “Grendel”
Using Felines = Turns you into the Beast “Bastet”
Using Porcine = Turns you into the Beast “Catoblepas”
Using Drakes = Turns you into the Beast “Nidhogg”
Using Spiders = Turns you into the Beast “Tarantula”
Using Bears = Turns you into the Beast “Callisto”
Using Moas = Turns you into the Beast "Dinornis""
Using Sharks = Turns you into the Beast “Bahamut”
Using Jellyfishs = Turns you into the Beast “Medusa”
Using Devourer = Turns you into the Beast"Antares"

Staff Skills

1) Leeching Vines
Whip at a target with vines that are coming from your Staff like a Flail which deal damage and cause to leech health from your target to heal you
2) Toxic Flower Bed
Create a Ground Target Flower Bed, which when enemiescross through it, causes multiple stacks of conditions consisting of Poison, Blindness and Vulnerability from the inhaled flower pollen that will fly throgh the air when you run through the flower bed.
Running through the Flower Bed also causes Hallucinations!

3) Source of Rejuvenation
Create at your Ground Target a AoE Healign Spring, that will remove conditions and heals per removed condition also.
4) Leaf Storm
Create a Leaf Storm at your Ground target, that will cause damage over time and weakens periodically foes inside its area.
5) Wrath of the Nature
Hold the Staff like a Cannon, channeling the Natural Energy around you into the Staff and shoot a large Line of Sight Attack that will stun all foes that get hit and causes multiple bleeding stacks also. This Skill will launch foes away that have lesser than 50% health instead of stunning them.

Next posting: Traits
—-

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Orpheal.8263

Druid

Minor Adept:
Shamanism
Gain Access to the Staff Weapon, Bestial Shamanism Shapeshifts and Meditations for your Healing, Utility and new Elite Skill. Removes Access to Pet Skills, but merges your Health with that of your Pet when you use Bestial Shamanism as two become one to become a mighty Beast. (Inspiration = Naruto: Kiba Inuzuka and his Dog)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlE0-E_mNOE

Major Adept:
Bestial Training = Increases the Maximum Duration of your Bestial Shamanism by 20%
Furious Beasts = Gain Might, Fury and Swiftness when using Bestial Shamanism
Refreshing Herbs =Removes a Condition on usage of your Healing Skill

Minor Master:
Guided by Spirits
Create a Random Nature Spirit on Dodge that will follow you, until it gets killed or replaced by a new one from another Dodge by you.

Major Master:
Nature’s Voice = Whenever one of your Nature Spirits gets destroyed, you will hear a Call of the Wild that will grant you and your allies Might, Fury and Swiftness
Entangling Roots When you use a Meditation, you will cripple nearby enemies with Entangling Roots that will whiplash at them and pull them to you.
Wild Hunt = Increases your Ferocity based on your Precision.

Minor Grandmaster:
One with Nature = Lose a Condition and receive a Healing when using a Bestial Shamanism. Gain for short time Resistance.

Major Grandmaster:
Beastlord = Gain Access to 1 Pet Slot more, having thus also access to 1 Bestial Shamanism more in Combat
Natural Cataclysm Increases the Range of your Staff AoEs by +300 and using Meditations have 20% reduced Cooldowns and deal 10% more Damage while using a Staff.
Nature Attunement: Reduces for you the Effectiveness from suffered natural Conditions by half. Means Burning, Chill, Petrification/Stun and Weakness will last alot less long on you and in case of Burning it will deal only half the Damage.

Next: Healing, utility and Elite

Orpheal.8263

Healing Skill
Type: Meditation

Natural Restoration
Heal yourself. Gain Extra Health back for every Boon on you
You and your Pet also regain back at the moment you use Natural Restoration all Boons back, that you had the last 30 seconds ago active running on you or your pet.
The Boons will be applied back, before the healing occurs.

Utility

Tree of Life
Teleport to an nearby ally that has the lowest health at the moment you use this skill to create at his location a Tree of Life that lets you and your allies gain Regeneration and Protection which stand inside of its area effect, which is also a Healing Field for Combo Finishers. While the Tree is up will gain Nature Spirits also Regeneration and protection and have increased Toughness.

Stampede
Feel the Nature’s Wrath around you to call for massive Stampede of Animals (Jumanji anyone?) that will overwhelm enemies in lne of sight, dealing damage and launching foes away or knocking them down, in which case they will receive even more damage, if they overrun you while you are knocked downed. In that case this skill will cause alot of Vulnerability and boons.

Bestial Fury
Gain Fury and Quickness. Works as Stun Breaker. Increases for the next 5 Attacks the Stats by +150 of your Pet and Pet Attacks expand your Fury and Quickness Duration, if they are critical hits. Using this Skill also reduces the Cooldown of Bestial Shamanism.

Brambles
Create around you and your nearby allies anprotective Armor of Brambles that lets you absorb the next incoming 3 Hits and causes you to gain Retaliation, while Attackers receive also Bleedings. If the Armor of Brambles gets destroyed will get nearby enemies crippled and tormented this time.

Elite:

Companionship
Heals you, if you have lesser Health, than your Pet, Heals your Pet, if you have more Health than your Pet. Gain a Boost to Power and precision for every kind of Minion, Pet, Spirit ect. that is accompaning you in your near for the next 30 seconds.

Posted by: NekotTheBrave.2013

NekotTheBrave.2013

It’s currently being acknowledged within the Ranger community (perhaps not by all, but certainly by a noticeable number) that this could be the make-or-break for the Ranger. For me, I think even if Druid is underwhelming I’ll still play it just because it’s always been my favourite archetype in MMOs.

This perfectly illustrates my issue surrounding how Rangers are discussed on the forums. The class isn’t ideal, but it is fun, at least for me. If it isn’t fun, then why are you playing it? Are you some kind of sick gaming masochist?

You see all of this hyperbolic rhetoric about how “broken” the profession is (there are bugs, and pet AI can be improved, but it is far from “broken”), with some even complaining that it is unplayable, but these people still play (and presumably have fun with) it.

So no, if you are going to continue to play Ranger if you don’t like Druid, it’s not make-or-break. It could be a disappointment to you based on your expectations, but you’ve already indicated that it is still worth playing despite an underwhelming Druid.

So stop QQing and just play the kitten game…

Please tell me what part of my thread is QQing? I’m not expressing personal opinion over the “make-or-break” case, I’m presenting the vibe from the Ranger community. At worst I’m putting forward a pessimistic outlook for what could be the case upon the release of the Druid, and the less-than-optimal conditions leading to its reveal. I have nowhere in this thread moaned about it though.

I don’t think there is a ranger community. There are probably tens of thousands of people who play rangers. Many are quite happy with them. I main a ranger, and I’m quite happy. It’s my favorite profession in the game. I don’t seem to have the issues you do.

Maybe the ranger “community” is smaller than you think.

You obviously don’t play competitively.

Posted by: ragnarokda.1805

ragnarokda.1805

Everyone keeps talking about the viability of the long bow on ranger but sword/torch, axe/dagger condi survival trapper eats them alive. And a lot of other popular builds for that matter. Great on point with settlers and not too bad with rabid or carrion, either. Also healing spring is pretty kitten underrated in group fights… A water field and constant regen/cleanse application over 10 seconds? With burning being how awesome it is right now the condi builds shine brightly for rangers. Abandon your long bows, mates!

Posted by: NekotTheBrave.2013

NekotTheBrave.2013

Everyone keeps talking about the viability of the long bow on ranger but sword/torch, axe/dagger condi survival trapper eats them alive. And a lot of other popular builds for that matter. Great on point with settlers and not too bad with rabid or carrion, either. Also healing spring is pretty kitten underrated in group fights… A water field and constant regen/cleanse application over 10 seconds? With burning being how awesome it is right now the condi builds shine brightly for rangers. Abandon your long bows, mates!

We’ll be abandoning them for staves.

Posted by: Oyranos.9750

Oyranos.9750

I am new and my first character is ranger and the things I ve noticed so far compared to other classes are :

1) is less complex
2) if you dismiss the pet, it respawn after you make a jump from a small height, or move into a new area, without even requesting it.
3) the dismiss button is bind with the button to change pets. So if you change pet, you cannot dismiss it if needed, you must wait for the CD.

I wish them to fix the pet buttons, some more pet control and also buff the ranger spells a bit. (why not add a couple of item/accessories in our pets, to buff them up).

Some groups in dungeons and fractals, hate rangers, they kicked me a couple of times because of it, without even letting me play.

I ve tried to name one of my pets (give a name), but after I summoned another, the name resets! So I stop bothering… lol

Some things are broken indeed

Btw I like rangers allot.

(edited by Oyranos.9750)

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Some one said once that the ranger is the “Jack-of-trades” class. And they are right, considering how rangers function.

“Every thing a ranger can do, another class can do it better and more of it.” This is true. But, a ranger can do almost every thing every other class can do, just not as well.

These are both true statements. Ranger is a Jack-of-all-Trades, and mediocre at focus on anything in particular (except ranged single target damage), which would be fine if they were the best at being a versatile and adaptable Jack-of-all-Trades. But they are not, Cele Ele is far better.