Dueling?

Dueling?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Liberis.9573

Liberis.9573

Q:

Someone told me that dueling is finally coming to GW2 in HoT, but I haven’t been able to find any official sources confirming that.

Anyone know whether or not we finally get to duel each other?

Dueling?

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

no dueling as far as i’ve heard. only strongholds and a new borderlands map.

Dueling?

Posted by: Toepac.9076

Toepac.9076

Dueling does exist in some way in some of the hotjoin pvp maps.
Not a top priority to add it as a seperate feature right now though in my opinion

Dueling?

Posted by: Nephziel.6053

Nephziel.6053

If you had option to auto-decline invites I wouldn’t mind the feature at all

I personally think it wont happen due to needed balance.

How would it work in upscaled/downscaled areas?
Difference between people who have traits and those who don’t.
PvE gear stats are different than PvP amulets stats.

A lot of stuff to consider

(edited by Nephziel.6053)

Dueling?

Posted by: Circa.2713

Circa.2713

Honestly this would add some much needed depth to PvP. I’m a new player but this whole idea of completely removing progression from PvP content almost made me quit the game. Dueling with your PvE characters would solve everything except open world pvp (which I know won’t happen) This addition would add another dimension to PvP and further drive people to want better gear, be the best. And keeping the old system untouched would ensure that the old, sterile, and fair pvp would remain intact.

Dueling?

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Duelling already exists as either PvP via Custom arenas (and the custom arena being set to 1v1) or via the cute little feature of Costume brawl. There’s been no announcement of any other form

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Dueling?

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

If you had option to auto-decline invites I wouldn’t mind the feature at all

I personally think it wont happen due to needed balance.

How would it work in upscaled/downscaled areas?
– they would both be upscaled/downscaled? if they aren’t both lvl 80, the higher lvl prob will win, then they both move on w/ their lives

Difference between people who have traits and those who don’t.
– one w/ traits prob wins. again, this person prob is a higher lvl too

PvE gear stats are different than PvP amulets stats.
-part of why people want to be able to duel out of spvp.

A lot of stuff to consider

why does it need balance? when people really want full balance they have spvp. why can’t people just see each other and fight it out, if they wanted?

now some people go to secluded areas of wvw to fight, but u are limited to people ur server happens to be up against, and u can’t duel ur friends on your server easily. also the risk of zerg suddenly showing up and ruining everyones fun

Dueling?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Someone told me that dueling is finally coming to GW2 in HoT, but I haven’t been able to find any official sources confirming that.

That’s because there aren’t any. It’s not coming beyond what is already available (sPvP custom arenas).

why does it need balance? when people really want full balance they have spvp. why can’t people just see each other and fight it out, if they wanted?

Funny thing, the people that “do not care about the balance” are usually people that think this balance would decrease their chances. Not their opponents (unless, of course, one of them is deluding themselves).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Dueling?

Posted by: yanipheonu.5798

yanipheonu.5798

Actually, having dueling at least in the PVP lobby would be cool. Have people duke it out while waiting for a match, and unlike some people’s misgivings for PVP getting into PVE, its a PVP lobby, its seems a natural fit.

Though if it were up to me, we’d have dueling in PVE as well. One of those things that makes other MMOs lively.

Dueling?

Posted by: Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

I’m really open to the idea of a duelling option. Even though Anet hasn’t said anything about working on it, I Think it’s Worth looking into.

There’s more to duelling than just fighting. There’s Learning and being able to get feedback, and theres hanging with other players in a more casual way than zerging or spvping.

I guess one of the problems would be how to limit it. Prevent lag from skill effects in high populated places.

Dueling?

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

No PvP in the PvE maps. There is are 2 whole areas set aside for PvP. Use those but do not put PvP in PvE.

Dueling?

Posted by: Gandalf.3516

Gandalf.3516

Dueling with your PvE characters would solve everything except open world pvp (which I know won’t happen) This addition would add another dimension to PvP and further drive people to want better gear, be the best.

If you know it won’t be in PvE, then what’s wrong with how it’s done now? What purpose would there be in making it “official”? Go into the heart of the mists, join a custom dueling lobby, boom you’re done. What’s wrong with that?

The only way they could “officially” put dueling in the game that I think would be fun, while keeping it out of PvE, would be to put in in guild halls. Like, somewhere away from the main gathering area, have an arena where people can jump in together and duel, and guildies/guests who want to can sit there and watch and cheer their friends on. Of course that could also be a TERRIBLE idea lol.

Dueling?

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

All for open world dueling. I don’t care about balance in the open pve world at all, I just want the option to duel friends/players in environments of our choice.

and…I would like to see the opposite of Finishers, Duel request banners. Also a new animation when you deplete your opponents health (win the duel), since a downed and death state don’t apply to dueling.

JQ Druid

Dueling?

Posted by: Zevix.1479

Zevix.1479

They should really turn The Bane in the Black Citadel into a dueling arena mini game.

Dueling?

Circa.2713

Dueling with your PvE characters would solve everything except open world pvp (which I know won’t happen) This addition would add another dimension to PvP and further drive people to want better gear, be the best.

If you know it won’t be in PvE, then what’s wrong with how it’s done now? What purpose would there be in making it “official”? Go into the heart of the mists, join a custom dueling lobby, boom you’re done. What’s wrong with that?

With the way PvP is set up it doesn’t even play like an MMO. It’s more like a 3rd person high fantasy action game (the PvP part), kind of like Archeblade on Steam. With open world dueling, fighting your friends would actually be fun and streamlined rather than a royal pain in the *. The game is very beautiful and it would be nice to fight with some locations as scenery. With gear progression behind the duels, you have an entire new dimension to the game without harming the old, core game experience. Hell, you could even throw in an option to make duels “fair” or have progression enabled, catering to an even wider audience.

Dueling?

Circa.2713

All for open world dueling. I don’t care about balance in the open pve world at all, I just want the option to duel friends/players in environments of our choice.

and…I would like to see the opposite of Finishers, Duel request banners. Also a new animation when you deplete your opponents health (win the duel), since a downed and death state don’t apply to dueling.

I agree, even if gear progression never makes it to duels… fighting in the world and the duels just triggering the PvP sets already in place should be in the game. It completely baffled me that it’s just not there.

Dueling?

Astralporing.1957

It completely baffled me that it’s just not there.

Why would it baffle you there’s no pvp in pve in a game where both game modes were strictly separated from the very beginning, and that fact was one of the points specifically raised up in pre-launch advertising?

Actions, not words.

Dueling?

Circa.2713

Why would it baffle you there’s no pvp in pve in a game where both game modes were strictly separated from the very beginning, and that fact was one of the points specifically raised up in pre-launch advertising?

I was baffled that there is no “duel option” considering it’s called an mmo. As I stated earlier I’m a new player ( I started 1 day ago) and did little to no research on the game before buying it. If you read my prior post, I also stated that the way PvP is set up almost made me quit the game. Because I am a PvP player at heart and as it stands, this game is not an mmorpg when it comes down to PvP. It is an action RPG, full stop. The idea, that of all the work you put into being kitten is pointless when you go to PvP killed me. I hit level 22 and was like… what’s the point? I’m already as strong as i’ll ever be. The only reason I kept playing was to enjoy the PvE aspect. Being able to duel someone out in the world hurts no one, and only adds options to the game. Dueling with progression makes it an MMO. It may just be me, but I very rarely hit max level in an MMO I enjoy. I spend way too much time killing and being killed.

I digress, it’s not the game’s fault that I’m out in the cold with the other PvPer’s. A little research would of went a long way – I can’t help but be baffled at some of the design choices however.

Dueling?

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

Being as it is, dueling in PvE should be in game at some point, heck maybe HoT is going to have it but its not listed as a major feature, and even Colin said they’d like to have open world/PvE dueling at some point, in a past interview. SPvP game mode is mostly about conquest, and not in essence set up for duels, also their try at Esports. Spvp lacks a lot of customization for builds(Stat allocation/Runes/sigils) and alot of aspects of certain builds are either weaker or nerfed compared to their PvE/WvW counter part. Using Spvp for dueling is just a bandaid fix until the feature is actually made and it comes out.

As for people worrying about spam about challenges and being pestered, only allow allow the duel function to be available to people on your friends list who are friended with you. Another way too is you have to be in a guild to do it with Guildmates. Creating a extra barrier to go through to make it inconvenient to actually troll random players with duel challenges.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

(edited by Lucentfir.7430)

Dueling?

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

Dueling should at least be a thing in the PvP lobby, but, ideally, everywhere. A lot of people love soloing and small scale PvP, which does include dueling. It helps to get better in other PvP modes, creates a whole group of duelists with it’s own stars and rivalries, helps to pass by time, just gives something else to do with friends etc.

I’m completely baffled by the guys who are so aggravated by PvP requests. Really? Party requests are fine, guild invites are fine, but duel proposition? Le gasp!

Anyway, it’s been years without dueling, so not gonna happen.

Dueling?

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I’m all for this if they make an arena area in HoM or some specific zones, but I do not want cyber gits following me around a zone I’m trying to clear bugging me to duel (and being obnoxious when I turn them down or ignore them).

It appears the Devs know full well how toxic a segment of the population is in terms of this “feature” for general Open World and have ignored all these threads so far….I hope they continue.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Dueling?

Jaxom.7310

I’m all for this if they make an arena area in HoM or some specific zones, but I do not want cyber gits following me around a zone I’m trying to clear bugging me to duel (and being obnoxious when I turn them down or ignore them).

It appears the Devs know full well how toxic a segment of the population is in terms of this “feature” for general Open World and have ignored all these threads so far….I hope they continue.

I don’t want anyone to be able to do X because in my mind there is a chance it might lessen my experience doing Y.

Dueling?

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

I don’t want anyone to be able to do X because in my mind there is a chance it might lessen my experience doing Y.

I want everyone to be able to do X because in my mind feared experience Y is irrelevant. Cool, see how kitten phrases containing variables drawn from mathematics work in all kinds of ways?

Dueling?

Astralporing.1957

Because I am a PvP player at heart and as it stands, this game is not an mmorpg when it comes down to PvP. It is an action RPG, full stop.

Um, nope. MMORPG term does not imply in the slightest that there will be any PvP at all.

Dueling with progression makes it an MMO.

No, being a massively multiplayer online game makes it an MMO. Dueling makes it a game with dueling option, nothing more, and in fact does not require the “massively” or “online” parts, just a multiplayer one. Progression, by the way, also isn’t required for an MMO game, it’s just one of ways to keep the players invested longer.

You just got your definitions wrong. That’s not the game’s fault.

Actions, not words.

Dueling?

Liberis.9573

Dueling doesn’t need to be balanced. It’s for fun…

Dueling?

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Dueling doesn’t need to be balanced. It’s for fun…

Really then why so many complaints of duel builds in pvp/wvw? Complaints of getting 2v1,player made rules in self made duels…

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Dueling?

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

if its for fun then join the duel arenas and have at it guys.

Dueling?

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

If it is for fun, don’t join the duel arenas because you will get griefed by a troll.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Dueling?

Linken.6345

then turn around and duo kill the troll untill he leaves and continue

Dueling?

runeblade.7514

then turn around and duo kill the troll untill he leaves and continue

The troll will simply then wait in spectator mode until you start dueling and then he’ll interrupt again.

Dueling?

Linken.6345

and he will get killed again do it enough and his fun per minute will be to low to sustain him

Dueling?

Liberis.9573

That’s very inconvenient, and you can’t do it while waiting for other things…

Dueling?

runeblade.7514

and he will get killed again do it enough and his fun per minute will be to low to sustain him

No, he wouldn’t get killed.

He joins a team -> kill your friend because you brought his hp down very low -> Then you decide to switch team -> He is already in spectator mode by the time you run to the place where he last killed your friend -> you switch team to start the duel again. -> Repeat griefing.

(edited by runeblade.7514)

Dueling?

Posted by: Monoman.2068

Monoman.2068

I would hope so. The sooner anet adds dueling, the sooner I can stop wasting a slot in wvw and actually have my preferred method of enjoying this game.

While I would like a map dedicated for dueling, I’m sure the player base is creative enough to choose a map (make use of mega servers) if we are given the option to just right click a player and challenge them to a duel. It’s a very simple feature so it astonishes me that this game is almost 3 years old without it.

Laviere – Hybrid Wellomancer
Makonne – Hybrid Regen Ranger

Dueling?

runeblade.7514

I would hope so. The sooner anet adds dueling, the sooner I can stop wasting a slot in wvw and actually have my preferred method of enjoying this game.

While I would like a map dedicated for dueling, I’m sure the player base is creative enough to choose a map (make use of mega servers) if we are given the option to just right click a player and challenge them to a duel. It’s a very simple feature so it astonishes me that this game is almost 3 years old without it.

Some people are afraid that they could get a duel request.

Dueling?

Brother Grimm.5176

A chance? Really? I don’t think I’m alone in not wanting to be harassed by PvPers in a co-op area of the game, either. Let’s put it another way…..If Anet wants to loose me (and thousands of others) as a customer, make this change in open world PvE.

Dueling?

Jaxom.7310

A chance? Really? I don’t think I’m alone in not wanting to be harassed by PvPers in a co-op area of the game, either. Let’s put it another way…..If Anet wants to loose me (and thousands of others) as a customer, make this change in open world PvE.

let loose thousands of customers! also this guy said this on ce

runeblade.7514

Nage.1520

It’s my business if it affects me, and it affected me. I don’t really care if I can block people in chat or not. It’s obnoxious to have some teenage cretin badmouthing me in local chat because I refuse to duel him. It’s not why I play games. And yes, I did block him, but I still find it obnoxious.

This is the kind of player that dueling invites to the community. It ruins the community not just for me, but for the dozens of others who feel like I do. This isn’t something we made up inconvenience people. We feel this way due to our experience with players like that. Same with open world PvP.

Sure, I can ignore them. But they don’t make the game more fun for me, and they DO affect some people a lot more than they affect me. I’d probably rather have the affected people to play with than the griefers.

So I say no to dueling.

I had a similar case with you.

Everyone keeps begging me for gold.

It’s my business if it affects me, and it affected me. I don’t really care if I can block people in chat or not. It’s obnoxious to have some teenage cretin badmouthing me in local chat because I refuse to give him gold. It’s not why I play games. And yes, I did block him, but I still find it obnoxious.

This is the kind of player that gold invites to the community. It ruins the community not just for me, but for the dozens of others who feel like I do. This isn’t something we made up inconvenience people. We feel this way due to our experience with players like that. Same with other currencies like etco in gw1.

Sure, I can ignore them. But they don’t make the game more fun for me, and they DO affect some people a lot more than they affect me. I’d probably rather have the affected people to play with than the beggars.

So I say no to gold.

Dueling?

Posted by: SkyyHigh.4950

SkyyHigh.4950

I was baffled that there is no “duel option” considering it’s called an mmo. As I stated earlier I’m a new player ( I started 1 day ago) and did little to no research on the game before buying it. If you read my prior post, I also stated that the way PvP is set up almost made me quit the game. Because I am a PvP player at heart and as it stands, this game is not an mmorpg when it comes down to PvP. It is an action RPG, full stop. The idea, that of all the work you put into being kitten is pointless when you go to PvP killed me. I hit level 22 and was like… what’s the point? I’m already as strong as i’ll ever be. The only reason I kept playing was to enjoy the PvE aspect. Being able to duel someone out in the world hurts no one, and only adds options to the game. Dueling with progression makes it an MMO. It may just be me, but I very rarely hit max level in an MMO I enjoy. I spend way too much time killing and being killed.

I digress, it’s not the game’s fault that I’m out in the cold with the other PvPer’s. A little research would of went a long way – I can’t help but be baffled at some of the design choices however.

You’re right, it’s completely against how most other MMOs do PvP. It’s also completely in line with how games in other genres that have successful and popular PvP – StarCraft, Counter Strike, Team Fortress – do PvP. Time spent in PvP should not be a slog where you’re grinding experience so you can easily beat players who have been playing for less time than you, and get soundly trumped by players who have been playing since launch. Time spent playing PvP in GW2 gives you an advantage because you, the player, get better at the game. Your character doesn’t get stronger, you do. That was one of the key selling points of GW1 and it’s one of the key selling points of GW2 PvP. I hope that clears up the confusion. Just know that as far as the GW community is concerned, “the way that other MMOs do things” is often the same as “a terrible way to do things”.

IGN: Skyy High / Talon Drakke

Dueling?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Dueling without proper controls pretty much just becomes another way of PVPers to spam PVE players who are either role playing in large cities or doing other things that don’t involve dueling. So no I hope not!

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Dueling?

Circa.2713

You’re right, it’s completely against how most other MMOs do PvP. It’s also completely in line with how games in other genres that have successful and popular PvP – StarCraft, Counter Strike, Team Fortress – do PvP. Time spent in PvP should not be a slog where you’re grinding experience so you can easily beat players who have been playing for less time than you, and get soundly trumped by players who have been playing since launch. Time spent playing PvP in GW2 gives you an advantage because you, the player, get better at the game. Your character doesn’t get stronger, you do. That was one of the key selling points of GW1 and it’s one of the key selling points of GW2 PvP. I hope that clears up the confusion. Just know that as far as the GW community is concerned, “the way that other MMOs do things” is often the same as “a terrible way to do things”.

This argument is implying like my suggestion would be taking this away from the game. It would not.

On a side note, I’ve been playing for about a week and am the number 1 or 2 top player consistently in unranked pugs. I know there is Ranked and the whole team composition thing, but id have to say I’d have more fun if the pvp had progression and was tiered by level. You could even tier level 80 by gearscore so you stay reasonable. It was fun though I’ll admit.

(edited by Circa.2713)

Dueling?

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Dueling is just like GvG. It’s something that could be done using the things the game already offers. But they are both unsupported.

I don’t give a toss about dueling, I’d rather they put effort in to other content.

Dueling?

Circa.2713

Honestly PvP just feels kind of tacked on, as a sidenote or afterthought in game design. PvE really is where this game shines.

Dueling?

Circa.2713

Dueling without proper controls pretty much just becomes another way of PVPers to spam PVE players who are either role playing in large cities or doing other things that don’t involve dueling. So no I hope not!

Yeah without an “auto-deny duels” feature things can get troll-y. But in a game with 0 consequence for dying I wouldn’t even really care tbh. Some would though.

Dueling?

Liberis.9573

What controls? Auto-decline? Or are you talking about something else?

Dueling?

Brother Grimm.5176

….
I don’t give a toss about dueling, I’d rather they put effort in to other content.

THIS!

100% This….

Dueling?

Jaxom.7310

….

THIS!

100% This….

ok. so we have ‘flags’ for ambient creatures, friendly, enemies. there are story modes etc where friendly npc turns to enemy.

so how much effort do u think it would be to add another flag that turns 2 players to enemies of each other, but not for everyone else?

this effort would take too much away from designing a new zone/class/etc u think? it’d be comparable amount of effort?

Dueling?

Brother Grimm.5176

You can simplify your belief in how technically “easy” it would be to add this, but that does not change the fact that SOMETHING gets sacrificed somewhere for this to get put in the game.

Also, it would be so much less about how to do it as to WHAT it would do to the game in terms of effecting every player in every zone of the game. I get some of you think it’s no big deal, but I assure you there are players that would simply quit the moment this went live to avoid the potential conflict. Anet 100% knows this (and that’s why it will NEVER happen).

Dueling?

runeblade.7514

You can simplify your belief in how technically “easy” it would be to add this, but that does not change the fact that SOMETHING gets sacrificed somewhere for this to get put in the game.

Then I say ANet should add it because it is worth the ‘sacrifice.’

Also, it would be so much less about how to do it as to WHAT it would do to the game in terms of effecting every player in every zone of the game. I get some of you think it’s no big deal, but I assure you there are players that would simply quit the moment this went live to avoid the potential conflict. Anet 100% knows this (and that’s why it will NEVER happen).

What will happen is that:

• Players get to duel uninterrupted anywhere they want.
  • And that is it.

Dueling?

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

• Players get to duel uninterrupted anywhere they want.

Are you sure? Are you absolutely sure they won’t be interrupted by other players or mobs?

Dueling?

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

The center of EotM is seems set up for 1v1 but no one seems to try to make it work.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA