Dueling?

Dueling?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Are you all forgetting that the code needed for dueling is already in the game?

this?

I would prefer no actual death. Maybe on stomp (because we still want to use our finishers) the duel would be over and your opponent would rally to 100%.

Attachments:

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

Dueling?

Posted by: Aktium.9506

Aktium.9506

this?

Yeah. Before they patched it out the bandit thing in SW was an obvious test drive of dueling. Even though Anet called it a bug later, which is some prime bs meant to soothe the people who got kitten about it as it even had griefing prevention measures coded in so you could only be attacked as a bandit and not attack someone else.

Dueling?

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

Yes.

It’s about an easy, fast and fun way to fight with your friends. And it’s not about fairness, JUST FUN.

They could simply make it somehow like that:
-Player A right clicks Player B and selects “Ready for PvP”
-Player B right clicks Player A and selects “Ready for PvP”
-Both players get a window which asks “PvP Fight: Start/Decline”
-If anyone of the two declines nothing happens
-If both accept, the fight begins in 5 seconds
-Every NPC and other players act just as always, only difference is that the two players can hurt each other
-Fight ends when one reaches down state

People who don’t want to PvP in PvE will NEVER, YES NEVER see any windows popping up.
Is it 100% fair? NO. Does it matter? NO. It’s meant for friends or guilds who just want to play and have a bit more freedom.

The worst what can happen is when people chat spam you, but as people already said, in other games this happens very rarely.
Also people can already chat spam you for random things in GW2 and does it happen? No.

If you are so SCARED of it something is wrong with you.
Imagine someone buys a car and his friends say: “NO DON’T BUY AND DRIVE A CAR YOU COULD RUN OVER OTHER PEOPLE!”
You seem like such friends.

Dueling?

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

No thanks.

The Burninator

Dueling?

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Yes.

It’s about an easy, fast and fun way to fight with your friends. And it’s not about fairness, JUST FUN.

They could simply make it somehow like that:
-Player A right clicks Player B and selects “Ready for PvP”
-Player B right clicks Player A and selects “Ready for PvP”
-Both players get a window which asks “PvP Fight: Start/Decline”
-If anyone of the two declines nothing happens
-If both accept, the fight begins in 5 seconds
-Every NPC and other players act just as always, only difference is that the two players can hurt each other
-Fight ends when one reaches down state

People who don’t want to PvP in PvE will NEVER, YES NEVER see any windows popping up.
Is it 100% fair? NO. Does it matter? NO. It’s meant for friends or guilds who just want to play and have a bit more freedom.

The worst what can happen is when people chat spam you, but as people already said, in other games this happens very rarely.
Also people can already chat spam you for random things in GW2 and does it happen? No.

If you are so SCARED of it something is wrong with you.
Imagine someone buys a car and his friends say: “NO DON’T BUY AND DRIVE A CAR YOU COULD RUN OVER OTHER PEOPLE!”
You seem like such friends.

well, you sounded somewhat reasonable till the “scared” thing – as this is exactly the kind of abuse people don´t want to deal with when rejecting dueling requests. they being cowardish, noobs, losers, afraid, whatever. You made a good point for not having duels I´m afraid, not that I care either way.

Dueling?

Posted by: Gern.2978

Gern.2978

Wooden Potatoes recently addressed this in his Q&A video, and he is on board with it. I think it’s pretty silly to say “NO! I don’t want dueling ever because I don’t want to duel people!” If you don’t want to do it, then don’t do it. I understand not wanting dueling spam, but why would they ever implement such a feature without also implementing a way of blocking dueling requests? Like every other game with a dueling feature does. Also, if they made a specific area for dueling, and you can’t duel outside of that area, then that solves all the problems the “anti-duelers” complain about.

Hi, my name is Gern, and I’m an altoholic….

Dueling?

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Also, if they made a specific area for dueling, and you can’t duel outside of that area, then that solves all the problems the “anti-duelers” complain about.

Most of us who are against dueling are bloody fine with that idea. We dont have to see it. Duelers can duel. We dont have to see the invites or have to deal with harassment. Duelers can still duel. Do that idea and most of us dont care.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Dueling?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Also, if they made a specific area for dueling, and you can’t duel outside of that area, then that solves all the problems the “anti-duelers” complain about.

Most of people that are against duels would be fine with it. The main problem is, that it already exists, in the way of custom arenas. And yet threads pop up one after another, with people saying that it’s not okay, because dueling in designated areas is not what they want.

It’s like the mount threads, that start with everyone claiming they want only visual mounts, then several pages later explaining, that what they really meant is starting with +200% speed buff for basic ones, and going upward with more and better options for more deluxe ones.

At this point it’s both simpler and safer to say, that no, I don’t want any dueling at all.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Dueling?

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

The main problem is, that it already exists, in the way of custom arenas. And yet threads pop up one after another, with people saying that it’s not okay, because dueling in designated areas is not what they want.

Duel (in MMos) is not about 1v1 it’s about fighting with others whenever you want.

You know what the problem with the already existing one is? It’s a pain in the kitten and IMPRACTICAL.

You wait for tequatl (or another boss) and you just want to rumble a bit with a friend? Well say goodbye to your organized map.

You and your guild are chilling in Lions Arch and someone wants to show a nice combo? Have fun making every member join the right server and watch these lovely loading screens.

You and your friend want to know who does naked more dmg? Well you can’t test that.

Dueling?

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

I just don’t see why they can’t add dueling and then stick an option which says “automatically ignore all dueling requests” and then if you get harrassed by some fool you can just block them. like it’s literally a win/win.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Dueling?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Make it a gem store item you have to buy first. If you don’t have this item, you can’t duel so it’s pointless for anyone to spam duel requests to you as you literally can’t accept the duel. Double clicking on it puts up a PvP flag of some sort, showing you want to duel. If someone sends you the duel request, which is only possible if you have the item and you’re flagged, when you accept they turn red to you and you red to them. Double clicking on the item removes your dueling flag.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Dueling?

Gern.2978

…The main problem is, that it already exists, in the way of custom arenas….

Have you ever made a custom arena? It costs 2gold per day. This current answer they have for dueling is highly impractical.

Dueling?

Dante.1763

Have you ever made a custom arena? It costs 2gold per day. This current answer they have for dueling is highly impractical.

Ill agree and im against dueling everywhere. As i said, dueling in specific areas per zone, where there currently is nothing else to do in the area. Almost every zone has a dead zone where events dont happen, where theres nothing else to do. Those could be the areas where dueling zones are added. No invites needed. You walk into the zone(Plainly marked by a ring on the ground, with an event marker that pops on screen), you enter duel mode where you can choose who to fight, in the zone.

You dont want to participate? fine, you dont go into that zone. Depending on the map you could have various sizes of dueling zones too, ranging from super small zones to larger ones. But there must be no other events nearby that people who are dueling can scale up. There really shouldnt be any trolling with this idea.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Dueling?

JustTrogdor.7892

Most of us who are against dueling are bloody fine with that idea. We dont have to see it. Duelers can duel. We dont have to see the invites or have to deal with harassment. Duelers can still duel. Do that idea and most of us dont care.

As Dante said, in almost every duel thread ever people against dueling have offered a compromise to where dueling could take place in selected areas of PvE maps. Despite what most pro-dueling folks think, we don’t want to “watch your epic duels” while we are trying to do things at the TP, bank, crafting stations etc. In other words we don’t want want dueling on top of us while we are doing non-dueling activities. The pro-dueling crowd has often and continues to refuse to acknowledge that comprise.

Additionally, people that are against dueling don’t want to see /map littered with things like, “I just pwned player A what a total loser he is and now he won’t duel me again” and, “Player A won’t turn on dueling what a noob chicken.” Yes, there is a block function but why add more fuel to the fire when it comes to the potential for caustic chat?

Also, what about level scaling? How many L80 people are going to hang out in Queensdale targeting new players for a duel? How will you know if there is an even match? One way would be to show the true level of the player requesting the duel I guess. But still I can see players hanging out in starter zones trying to pick fights with new players that have turned dueling on just to test it, or don’t know about it. I’ve seen this in other games where ‘elite’ players hang out in new player zones looking for a ‘fight’ because they think it is funny to stomp the new guy.

As for the link to the video from over two years ago that keeps being brought up stating Anet want’s to add dueling. That was a long time ago. Since then there have been countless threads on this topic with the majority of people stating no to pure open world PvE duels. So maybe by now Anet has seen all those threads and given it second thought. Especially since it isn’t going to be included in HoT.

My suggestion to the pro-dueling crowd, be willing to compromise. Suggest dueling arena areas in PvE where you all can go play measuring contest and the few people interested in watching can observe.

Until then you know what they say, you can wish and one hand and you know what in the other and see which one gets filled up first.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Dueling?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It is. Yet, as you can see, “duelists” do not ask to make them more practical (for example to create 1v1 arenas and arena modes made specifically for duels). Instead, they completely ignore the Mists (where all PvP takes place) and insist on placing dueling in PvE. Where it doesn’t fit.

Also, in the post above by Neox you can see exactly what i was talking about – no interest in any designated duel arenas anywhere. There’s no point in ever bringing the places like the Bane up, because it’s not a solution most of duelists seem interested in.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Dueling?

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

snip

Since then there have been countless threads on this topic with the majority of people stating no to pure open world PvE duels. So maybe by now Anet has seen all those threads and given it second thought. Especially since it isn’t going to be included in HoT.

by my, very rough count, trying to only count individual 1 time, not every time they’ve posted. and tried to skip the ones that didn’t say straight up, i want dueling. in fairness i may have miscounted, but tried not to

i counted
20 people yes
17 people no

so, i wouldn’t say the majority don’t want it, at least by this specific thread’s responses

Dueling?

JustTrogdor.7892

snip

Since then there have been countless threads on this topic with the majority of people stating no to pure open world PvE duels. So maybe by now Anet has seen all those threads and given it second thought. Especially since it isn’t going to be included in HoT.

by my, very rough count, trying to only count individual 1 time, not every time they’ve posted. and tried to skip the ones that didn’t say straight up, i want dueling. in fairness i may have miscounted, but tried not to

i counted
20 people yes
17 people no

so, i wouldn’t say the majority don’t want it, at least by this specific thread’s responses

That is just from this thread. I’m guessing most people are tired of this debate and may have not seen as it usually occurs in the general discussion page that more people visit. Here is what Dante reviewed from one of the many other threads on the topic.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Concept-of-Dueling-Party-vs-Party/first#post4929088

Then of course you can use Google, “forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2 duel” and take a look for yourself.

Like I said, I seriously doubt pure open world dueling will ever happen. It certainly seems it won’t happen with HoT or they would have announced it. That is a good thing.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Dueling?

Dante.1763

That is just from this thread. I’m guessing most people are tired of this debate and may have not seen as it usually occurs in the general discussion page that more people visit. Here is what Dante reviewed from one of the many other threads on the topic.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Concept-of-Dueling-Party-vs-Party/first#post4929088

Then of course you can use Google, forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2 duel and take a look for yourself.

Thanks for that! i was just about to post it again! xD

edit: just gonna cap your post here, and use it as a base so i wont have to type it up each and every single time.

(edited by Dante.1763)

Dueling?

Gern.2978

It is. Yet, as you can see, “duelists” do not ask to make them more practical (for example to create 1v1 arenas and arena modes made specifically for duels). Instead, they completely ignore the Mists (where all PvP takes place) and insist on placing dueling in PvE. Where it doesn’t fit.

Also, in the post above by Neox you can see exactly what i was talking about – no interest in any designated duel arenas anywhere. There’s no point in ever bringing the places like the Bane up, because it’s not a solution most of duelists seem interested in.

Don’t give the loud minority so much credit. Most people in this game, “duelists” or “anti-duelists,” are pretty level headed.
I am very much a “duelist.” I love that game mode in every game that I have played which has incorporated it. But, i understand and agree with the complaints of those who are against it, and thus I am an advocate of the proposition that there be specific areas for dueling and you cannot dual outside of them. They could even isolate them from zone chat so the non-duelers don’t get the kind of chat spam that many obnoxious duelers have a tendency to post.

Dueling?

JustTrogdor.7892

I am very much a “duelist.” I love that game mode in every game that I have played which has incorporated it. But, i understand and agree with the complaints of those who are against it, and thus I am an advocate of the proposition that there be specific areas for dueling and you cannot dual outside of them. They could even isolate them from zone chat so the non-duelers don’t get the kind of chat spam that many obnoxious duelers have a tendency to post.

I think that is something most people against free for all open world dueling. would be willing to agree with. It is a very fair compromise. Thank you for your willingness to see both sides and offer ideas that could be agreeable to most.

The Burninator

Dueling?

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Most anti dueling crowds hyperbole the dueling feature as some exaggerated personal attack on their rpg…mmo experience. Debating a dueling feature w/the anti dueling crowd is pointless as it’s ok for costume brawls and annoying obnoxious gem store toys everywhere...but dueling that will turn the world of Tyria upside down! Sure

Open world dueling-Yes
Opt-out duel request box in options-Yes
No dueling allowed in major hubs (LA, Divinity Reach, etc…)-Yes

Really no need to compromise anything, If Anet feels this feature will benefit the community, entice new players, and retain bored ones between content drops it should be a go.

Expect many more of these dueling request posts to pop up as HoT brings in new players.

JQ Druid

Dueling?

Posted by: Henry.5713

Henry.5713

On the bright side:
Does anyone else remember the devs dueling in the hotm during one of the Twitch streams? Maybe…

Dueling?

Posted by: Liberis.9573

Liberis.9573

On the bright side:
Does anyone else remember the devs dueling in the hotm during one of the Twitch streams? Maybe…

Did you ever get a response on this? I’d love to see it.