Each Expansion = Dragon?

Each Expansion = Dragon?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Shiznex.4071

Shiznex.4071

I haven’t seen any info in the forums on this. but could it be possible that each expansion will entail a Elder Dragon? Now we have HoT that deals with an Elder Dragon.

Or could this just be a one time thing and that other expansions will bring different stuff to the plate?

Besides Zhaitan, there are five areas not yet available. Each with its own dragon. Id imagine if they did that, each new expansion would bring new maps and living story maps within that area.

Ex- HoT we get the new map but also with LS get new areas that go into the Isle of Janthir/Bay.

Any insight or thoughts would be swell!

Each Expansion = Dragon?

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

It seems likely an Elder Dragon will be the focus of each expansion, but that does not mean it definitely will be. Tyria has many threats and many locations worth exploring that have little to do with the Elder Dragons, lets also not forget places like Elona and Cantha.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Each Expansion = Dragon?

Posted by: Jaws.1569

Jaws.1569

It seems likely an Elder Dragon will be the focus of each expansion, but that does not mean it definitely will be. Tyria has many threats and many locations worth exploring that have little to do with the Elder Dragons, lets also not forget places like Elona and Cantha.

He’s right, the Elder Dragon’s are the overarching bad guys (or not so bad, depending on certain theories being true or false) but plenty of things go on in the world of Tyria, that’s what I think the living story is going for, showing the smaller pieces that fit together to create the bigger one.

Each Expansion = Dragon?

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

I think you hit the nail on the head. It really couldn’t be more obvious though.

Each Expansion = Dragon?

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

i imagine all of the smaller events mentioned above could also be tied in – e.g. while we’re in cantha chasing, who has been the only dragon in cantha and thus allowed to do as he pleased, we might also be forced to deal with the ministry of purity at one point very soon, as effectively 4/5th’s of the pact army are non-humans (not counting any other races that help.)

a similar situation likely exists for elona, as kralky is now sitting on Palawa’s doorstep and likely making his life very interesting. (could also be why kralky isn’t focused on ascalon and whatnot – he’s having fun playing with palawa)

Each Expansion = Dragon?

Posted by: Umelex.5024

Umelex.5024

i imagine all of the smaller events mentioned above could also be tied in – e.g. while we’re in cantha chasing, who has been the only dragon in cantha and thus allowed to do as he pleased, we might also be forced to deal with the ministry of purity at one point very soon, as effectively 4/5th’s of the pact army are non-humans (not counting any other races that help.)

a similar situation likely exists for elona, as kralky is now sitting on Palawa’s doorstep and likely making his life very interesting. (could also be why kralky isn’t focused on ascalon and whatnot – he’s having fun playing with palawa)

I think it would be the other way around. Palawa would prob like to expand is dominion and has been playing with Kralky.

Each Expansion = Dragon?

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

I think it would be the other way around. Palawa would prob like to expand is dominion and has been playing with Kralky.

i’m sure he’d like to, but he had plenty of opportunity to do so since he took over elona. i imagine he just doesn’t care about the northern lands (he’s smart enough to know how large a territory he can control. stretch your land too far and you weaken your own power.)

oddly i can picture a giant army marching north and then kralky lands on top of them with the expression of ‘Oh hai didn’t see you there’ before stomping around and acting all dragon-y with lots of ‘rawr’ and ‘imma use mah lazah!’

Each Expansion = Dragon?

Umelex.5024

i’m sure he’d like to, but he had plenty of opportunity to do so since he took over elona. i imagine he just doesn’t care about the northern lands (he’s smart enough to know how large a territory he can control. stretch your land too far and you weaken your own power.)

oddly i can picture a giant army marching north and then kralky lands on top of them with the expression of ‘Oh hai didn’t see you there’ before stomping around and acting all dragon-y with lots of ‘rawr’ and ‘imma use mah lazah!’

Lol nice imagery gave me a chuckle. I won’t deny that he was smart but he was also on the crazy side kinda like a mad scientist. would not surprise me one bit if he watched Kralky land and was like ‘There is something that appears strong lets send my slaves to fight it for my enjoyment.’

Each Expansion = Dragon?

Posted by: Shiznex.4071

Shiznex.4071

I like it all haha. It’s just crazy to me that having an expansion wasn’t something we thought would happen, especially with devotion to LS. I am glad though. As others above said, there is so much happening domestic and foreign. I want to go everywhere and see everything! I hope future material wont be as obvious though, it’s nice to bounce around:)

So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it. Thank you.

Each Expansion = Dragon?

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

All signs say, “Yes.” Jormag will be next.

Gone to Reddit.

Each Expansion = Dragon?

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

Since nothing of the story was said at all about HoT its impossible to say that Mordremoth will even be in this expansion. So it might be that it takes 2 expansions to kill an elder dragon.

Each Expansion = Dragon?

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

Gonna copy and paste something I just posted in a similar thread:

Chewablesleeptablet.3185:
SO basically what anet wants to do is do free living story all the way up to the climax and then put the end behind a pay wall.
Brilliant.

Me:
At no point in the announcement did they state that the expansion would conclude the living story, and the trailer didn’t hint at all that we’d be defeating Mordremoth in it.
It’s quite likely that the expansion will be a side plot involving the Mursaat and Mordremoths minions with boss battles and the like and the main story will continue in the free living story season 3.

So I would say the expansions will probably be side stories, not a paid “dragon kill” so to speak. So there’s no guarantee that there’ll be one for every dragon, but there may be one every 3 or 4 seasons or none at all.

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

Each Expansion = Dragon?

Posted by: yanipheonu.5798

yanipheonu.5798

Presumably. Though bear in mind that’s a pretty big period of time there. Wouldn’t be suprising if we have new threats crop up (imagine if another enemy force managed to channel the power of another Elder Dragon for their own use), or even if we had Guild Wars 3 by the time we’re even close to getting all the Elder Dragons.

Each Expansion = Dragon?

Umelex.5024

Gonna copy and paste something I just posted in a similar thread:

Chewablesleeptablet.3185:
SO basically what anet wants to do is do free living story all the way up to the climax and then put the end behind a pay wall.
Brilliant.

Me:
At no point in the announcement did they state that the expansion would conclude the living story, and the trailer didn’t hint at all that we’d be defeating Mordremoth in it.
It’s quite likely that the expansion will be a side plot involving the Mursaat and Mordremoths minions with boss battles and the like and the main story will continue in the free living story season 3.

So I would say the expansions will probably be side stories, not a paid “dragon kill” so to speak. So there’s no guarantee that there’ll be one for every dragon, but there may be one every 3 or 4 seasons or none at all.

Thank you for calling out Chewable every thread he has been on/ started he has been complaining about the xpac when so little info has been shown to us at this point.

Like you said they have never said the xpac will send us to kill mordry but it most likely will. My opinion in this manner is based off of the name of the xpac. Mordremoth would be the Heart of Thorns. Also how could the game progress if they dont send us to kill the ED? LS season 3 would most likely be about after mordry is killed (dealing with the aftermath/rebuilding the pact) and will start sending us after Jormag. Trahearne says at some point in LS season 2 that before Mordry appeared they were planning to tackle Jormag thats why i believe he will be next.

Each Expansion = Dragon?

Posted by: zporter.1439

zporter.1439

Having a dragon per expansion actually opens up some very interesting story possibilities. Imagine how gameplay could turn if two dragons awoke simultaneously, or ganged up on tyria. What if the Sons of Svanir figure out a way to enslave Jormag rather than follow him? What if there are other good dragons that could be recruited to fight with the pact? Maybe Cathan or Elonian forces come to battle dragons in later expansions?

So many possibilities! Can’t wait to throw my money at ArenaNet for each one.

Each Expansion = Dragon?

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

If each expansion does have us kill off dragons it better have a really good story and be epicly epic. Buying GW2 before release that was what I was thinking was going to happen until they opened up with Living Story and said they wouldn’t be doing any expansions if LS was done right.

Well Anet thinks they failed at LS even though there were huge improvements over the course of 2 years.

So yah you can be a little bit confident that each expansion = dragon kill.

Each Expansion = Dragon?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Since nothing of the story was said at all about HoT its impossible to say that Mordremoth will even be in this expansion. So it might be that it takes 2 expansions to kill an elder dragon.

What about Braham shouting in the trailer, “We take the fight to Mordremoth!”? Though that could just mean a good intention by the biconics as opposed to something actually accomplished.

Even so, given that all the vines are part of Mordremoth, I’d say technically we’ve already seen him. Just his little toe, as it were, but unless game mechanics block it then really, the whole jungle we are in should all be part of him, given the lore that the elder dragons are the size of mountain ranges. I have no idea how that would translate to an end fight, however.

Each Expansion = Dragon?

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

What about Braham shouting in the trailer, “We take the fight to Mordremoth!”? Though that could just mean a good intention by the biconics as opposed to something actually accomplished.

It could very well be “Oh man, we did all that stuff back there (in the expansion) now we take the fight to Mordremoth (Living story season 3 hype)”

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]