Earn the Elite Specializations through PvP.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Archon of Victory.6938

Archon of Victory.6938

I’m writing this post to get some opinions and express my own on something that should be added to HoT. I’d appreciate any thoughts you have on the subject or any idea’s you would like to include.

As the title says, we should be able to earn these specializations by via PvP.

I’m not surprised that ANET didn’t implement this with launch, their attention was elsewhere. Which is fine considering what they were building. However a little thought in allowing the players to play the game the way they want to would go a long ways. Personally I’m not a fan of PvE nor do I have the time to grind out getting the hero points required to unlock things like Dragonhunter or Scrapper. I’d still like to unlock these specializations for WvW and general gameplay.

So what if players were awarded +1 hero point per SPvP level and then +5 per ranked/unranked win (after the game). Think it would work?

Posted by: GinghamLion.3614

GinghamLion.3614

I agree that this would be nice, as I’d lke to do it for my alts, but what I REALLY want is some kind of mastery experience writ to be a reward track item. I want to pvp, and I want to unlock masteries to finish my elite specialization weapon collection. I HATE grinding for masteries.

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

Huh… You get a ton of hero points from WvW, if its WvW you want, then you get it there already. Moot post.

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

you don’t have to unlock them to use them in spvp so it is a moot point there. albeit I do with there was a reward track in spvp to unlock hero point locations as if you went and did them in the jungle somewhere. Just for some variety of gameplay…but them a surprising number of people are sick to death of the jungle already due to the foolish idea of locking masteries to location.

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

Huh… You get a ton of hero points from WvW, if its WvW you want, then you get it there already. Moot post.

If by “a ton” , you mean 2-4 per WvW rankup chest.

To OP, I agree with one hero point per sPvP rankup but not +5 per win. People farm PvP rewards as it is : red wins / blue wins rooms are mind numbing.

If anything the 5 hero points should be added to the daily PvP chests.

If you do not k-train or EoTM then it is quite slow without the WxP boosts stacked up.

You can earn tomes from PvP so earning hero points for your elite spec is not too much to ask.

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

(edited by Infusion.7149)

Posted by: Sylum.1806

Sylum.1806

This is an asinine request, no offense to the original poster. Look, if you sPvP exclusively, eschewing all other game modes, you don’t need to “earn” elite specs. They are there for you to use right from the start.

The reason why WvW has a Proof of Heroics currency to buy Hero Points is because WvW builds are dependent on your PvE progression. The elite specs are locked for them. So there needs to be an alternative to obtain elite specs for those who WvW exclusively.

If sPvP is only a part of your GW2 experience, then you can just get your elite specs from your other modes (such as PvE or WvW).

Either way, there’s no need to implement what you requested. Please do the developers and this forum a favor and consider your request thoroughly first.

Posted by: Hakuryuu.8634

Hakuryuu.8634

Then go play WvW?

(edited by Hakuryuu.8634)

Posted by: Kit.3986

Kit.3986

This is an asinine request, no offense to the original poster. Look, if you sPvP exclusively, eschewing all other game modes, you don’t need to “earn” elite specs. They are there for you to use right from the start.

The reason why WvW has a Proof of Heroics currency to buy Hero Points is because WvW builds are dependent on your PvE progression. The elite specs are locked for them. So there needs to be an alternative to obtain elite specs for those who WvW exclusively.

If sPvP is only a part of your GW2 experience, then you can just get your elite specs from your other modes (such as PvE or WvW).

Either way, there’s no need to implement what you requested. Please do the developers and this forum a favor and consider your request thoroughly first.

It’s not as if people who play mostly SPvP don’t do any PvE content whatsoever. If they wanted to do dungeon runs, or fractal runs, as side things and want to use their elite specialization for them because they found it fun, why can’t there be a way for which those players can earn their elite specialization that doesn’t involve mucking around in an event ridden jungle for hours on end?

An entire rank in WvW doesn’t get you 10 HP, three or four will, but you only level that rank that quickly if you’re essentially karma training an entire map, and even then it would still take hours on end doing that to unlock it. Unless you’re flipping Stonemist off RI CD.

So, why not have SPvPing for hours on end get you to it? It’s not like it honestly hurts anyone in this game and only creates another avenue to achieve a specialization and access to skills on a specific character an individual wants to play. Players can do what they enjoy and advance their character through the means in which they prefer to play, able to use what they unlocked in PvE content which… isn’t gamebreaking or anything of the sort.

No one can possibly be salty that “Oh, I WORKED HARD for my spec so YOU SHOULD TO” when it’s not even hard work, it’s just a long grind. And if you’re a PvE player, then it’s a long grind doing content you personally enjoy, while the other person would have to do a long grind in content they do not enjoy.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I guess it would be ok, if they award some PvP points/ranks/whatever for doing PvE/WvW. /shrug

I’d like some of the benefits, but without playing the content. =)

Posted by: Nephziel.6053

Nephziel.6053

The thing is. You already have elite specs unlocked for PvP.
Thats why there is no reason to add ability to unlock the there.

If you want elite spec for different mode. Unlock them in different mode.
Simple

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

The thing is. You already have elite specs unlocked for PvP.
Thats why there is no reason to add ability to unlock the there.

If you want elite spec for different mode. Unlock them in different mode.
Simple

And if I want at least the starting staff for my daredevil to use in PvP? Don’t forget that unlocking the elite gives you a skin that you can use. And I’m guessing that completely unlocking it gives you the armor part? These, if nothing else, are reason for someone in PvP to want to actually unlock the elite.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Kit.3986

Kit.3986

I guess it would be ok, if they award some PvP points/ranks/whatever for doing PvE/WvW. /shrug

I’d like some of the benefits, but without playing the content. =)

Wanna know a secret?

You can gain PvE levels by doing PvP.

O.M.G.

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

Curious, why do you need to earn your E-spec from PVP when you already unlocked it on default in PVP?

PVP is PVP, PVE is PVE, they should be separated.

Posted by: Slytherin.5793

Slytherin.5793

I dont think its in the best interest to add this to pvp rewards. To be fair you have to look at it from a different stand point. I don’t think it would be fair if someone like me who exclusively pved (with very very little pvp time) had a way to earn something that is meant to be used solely in a pvp area through my regular day to day pve, a perfect example to compare to yours but on the opposite end of the spectrum would be finishers… would it be fair to earn dragon finishers or the new mordrem skins for the finishers through pve… when they are only good for pvp, (and a very small amount of pve mobs u can finish)… just a thought… but my opinion is if you dabble outside your main play style you should have to earn it in that play style like everyone else!

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

There should be a lot more HoT related pvp rewards.

A one time reward track doesn’t cut it.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I dont think its in the best interest to add this to pvp rewards. To be fair you have to look at it from a different stand point. I don’t think it would be fair if someone like me who exclusively pved (with very very little pvp time) had a way to earn something that is meant to be used solely in a pvp area through my regular day to day pve, a perfect example to compare to yours but on the opposite end of the spectrum would be finishers… would it be fair to earn dragon finishers or the new mordrem skins for the finishers through pve… when they are only good for pvp, (and a very small amount of pve mobs u can finish)… just a thought… but my opinion is if you dabble outside your main play style you should have to earn it in that play style like everyone else!

And what about all those Halloween finishers I have from ToT bags earned in PvE? Or those Wintersday finishers?

Earning Hero Points is already not exclusive to PvE, they can be earned in WvW as well. There would be little harm in allowing them to be earned in PvP as well.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I don’t get what the aggression is about from people. If sPvP people get some hero points through their play, it doesn’t suddenly take away your own. Sheesh man.

I’m not an sPvP exclusive player (I rarely play it) but I see no reason why not to give sPvP players some hero points through reward tracks or some such. They already get most other stuff through reward tracks. It’s not like this would be unprecedented.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I don’t get what the aggression is about from people. If sPvP people get some hero points through their play, it doesn’t suddenly take away your own. Sheesh man.

I’m not an sPvP exclusive player (I rarely play it) but I see no reason why not to give sPvP players some hero points through reward tracks or some such. They already get most other stuff through reward tracks. It’s not like this would be unprecedented.

Additional thought: Think of it this way. If people who do sPvP 90% of the time get elite specs slowly unlocked in other gameplay by playing sPvP, they will then be more likely to want to go play other content knowing that their new specs will be waiting for them. If they have to go do the other content to unlock their specs for that content (specs which they are probably already familiar with from PvP) they may do it, but they will probably do it more grudgingly than if they can go straight into the other content with some fresh specs in hand after doing a lot of PvP.

As it is, the fact that WvW already gives tokens for HPs refutes the “you should have to experience the content to get the spec” argument.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Slytherin.5793

Slytherin.5793

Hardly think the limited use holiday finishers are even slightly a good comparison… that be a decent comparison if they allowed you to unlock the elite spec to use on X amount of pve kills then took it away again… and only allowed you to wear the elite spec skins for a small holiday window…

That aside if you want your pve spec for pve why shouldn’t you have to play pve for it? Yeah sure I would love to have all the rank finishers waiting for me to use right out the gate when I finally start pvp in but is that fair to the people who already earned said rank finishers?