Earning mastery points without HoT?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: ProverbsofHell.2307

ProverbsofHell.2307

Recently returned to the game and I’m holding off on buying HoT/PoF as a bundle for now until I’m sure I want to return. However I’m very limited in what I can do, so I’ve been doing world completion of the core zones. I’m getting quite a fair bit of rollover xp for this, and I previously thought that the xp bar vanished when you hit 80 instead of rolling over. My question is, are the experience points I’m earning being “saved” somehow and they’ll convert to mastery points when I start HoT? Just feels like I’m wasting my effort at this point.

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

No. You cannot save points. You must have a mastery active aka HoT or PoF for you to be able to level up a mastery.

IF you don’t intend on buying the expansion until a while later, then you are in fact wasting your time.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Posted by: ProverbsofHell.2307

ProverbsofHell.2307

I see, that’s a shame. That pretty much clears it up though, thank you.

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

I would strongly disagree with “wasting your time”. Your XP is wasted, but as XP is incredibly easy to get, and gaining it during the mastery system is often temporarily blocked anyway, waiting to unlock Masteries doesn’t really matter.

However, to clarify Masteries: The system uses both Mastery Points (granted from specific achievements) and XP. You can’t spend Mastery Points until a sufficient amount of XP is earned into the relevant Mastery track.

Posted by: Cocytus.2410

Cocytus.2410

Question here. I bought Pof but not with the HoT and i still can’t unlock mastery. Do you need to wait untill Pof launch next month in order to unlock mastery?

Posted by: Cyprien.4208

Cyprien.4208

Each expansions have their own set of mastery which you won’t be able to use hot mastery even if you buy path of fire (if you don’t buy hot) as well you only earn mastery points to that expansions so if you’re in a hot map you won’t earn mastery points for path of fire.

(I could be slightly wrong about this however pretty sure it’s correct)

(edited by Cyprien.4208)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

What isn’t wasted is doing achieves. A good number of them will grant mastery points (not mastery skill, which is a separate thing, the points are what you spend once you’ve xp’d up the tier). Matter of fact, at HoT launch I somehow had exactly the number of MP needed to unlock every core mastery, just from old achievements. All I had to do was spend time in the core maps getting xp. (Since yes, you do have to gain the xp in the relevant maps in order to move the xp bar for the mastery you’re working on there).

So check the wiki for which achieves give mastery points and work on those. Then once you have a mastery-granting expansion, you’ll be ready to skill up the core ones. Since PoF is supposed to be independently playable from HoT, it stands to reason that it will offer its own unlock of the system.

Ah, rechecking your initial post, let me give you a step by step so you can understand the above replies and information:

1 – Unlock mastery via the initial entry story to the expansion
2 – Select a mastery track to work on by clicking to the left of the track (in HoT, it’s a no brainer, you start with Gliding and in fact that is the default track; you cannot select a track until you have completed the earlier ones in that mastery, so no hopping straight to ley gliding from basic gliding)
3 – Gain XP in that expansion’s map(s). Simultaneously gather mastery points in the map, you’re going to need most all of what’s available.
4 – When the XP bar is full, return to the Mastery Panel (icon at the far right of the xp bar is a shortcut). Look to the right of it and click there to spend the points to actually learn that mastery.
5 – select your next track to work on.

So you see, mastery points and mastery xp are two different things, you must gain the xp to be allowed to spend the points.

XP will sometimes overflow to the next track the game thinks you’ll be working on, if you don’t spend the points as soon as you can. It’s best to monitor and choose, so pay heed when your xp bar is nearly full.

Posted by: SappFire.5793

SappFire.5793

Without expansions your exp IS NOT wasted. You will simply gain spirit shards.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

One can only gain XP-level-up Spirit Shards by maxing out all region Masteries.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

You are incorrect that was changed afew months before hot.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It was supposed to work that way initially, but in the end that never happened. Now you can only earn spirit shard if you have completed all of that region’s masteries.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November