Elite Specializations & Hero Point Feedback [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Makai.3429

Makai.3429

Now would be a good time to finally introduce a proper split between PvP and PvE skills and traits. I can’t imagine how troubling it would be to go through all that work on a single character to have its elite trait line nerfed for a section of the game that unlocks it instantly.

Proud disabled gamer. Not everyone has the capacity to git gud.

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

It’s starting to sound as if they are selling an incomplete product.

You need to do X to get your Elite specs eventually, sorry Guild hall arenas will take X time to get, Raids won’t be released until X date.

So wtf exactly is it we paid for ? The ability to eventually play content ?

Heres a jungle, we got that completed … mostly, but you will need to get all your masteries done so you can eventually explore it all.

This is just plain silly.

I’m not saying everything should be handed to us right off the bat and no work should be put in what so ever but it’s becoming very apparent that they bit off more then they can chew with the number of time gates put on literally every aspect of the expansion.

This post made me laugh more than it shouldn’t.

When you bought the original game, did it come out with a fully leveled 80, full map exploration, full legendaries, full gold, full items? You paid to be able to do those things, and also paid for all the future incoming content, since the base game is not getting any new content.

So yes, you are saying everything should be handed to you right off the bat.

Not at all, Raids are the exception, they should be ready for release because they are a selling point. Guild Arenas shouldn’t take a month or 3 or whatever it was they quoted thats a major selling point for a lot of people, should it take some time ? Sure but if you have the man power it should be drastically reduced. Elite specs, they have a pre req its having all the core specs, to add 400 HP ontop of that ? thats way to many HP whether it includes cosmetics or not is irrelevant it’s still to much mindless grind. Masteries, how long will they take before you can explore the new zone completely, not to mention you will also need them for … drum roll … raids, that they should have had ready for release.

The time gates are far to large for a game like GW2. I’m not saying No time gates, I’m saying they need to be greatly reduced.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

So disappointing… There were tons of players like me who prepared for these elites, planned builds and theory crafted, made ascended armor sets and weapon sets, slotted their gear with runes, sigils, infusions, bought gems to convert to gold to buy a bunch of stuffz…

Months and months and months of hype, streams, pr… Then the big letdown… Really kills the excitement…

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

I just don’t get people. first it was " we need something to do! living world sucks!" Now it’s “OMG I HAVE TO DO THINGS??”

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

IMO paying $50 for the expansion should have unlocked the skills, depending on how long it takes to unlock 17 character elites it might just be easier to request a refund for me.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: Fadhli.9086

Fadhli.9086

I just don’t get people. first it was " we need something to do! living world sucks!" Now it’s “OMG I HAVE TO DO THINGS??”

Precisely!

Chieftain Snuffy – Guardian
Founder | Smaash Gaming Community

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

This is a dumb point, because people were planning on doing the content anyway.

The one to Rule.2593

This was a dumb post, because I was planning on replying anyway. See how useless both of our comments were now?

The one to Rule.2593

If people were planning on doing it anyway, there’s no point complaining about doing it.

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

Does this mean if you have if I have an Ele with Fire, Arcane and Water specializations unlocked and maxed that I will also have to unlock all trait paths in Air and Earth (which I never use) before I can begin to unlock Tempest (Elite Spec)?

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

Does this mean if you have if I have an Ele with Fire, Arcane and Water specializations unlocked and maxed that I will also have to unlock all trait paths in Air and Earth (which I never use) before I can begin to unlock Tempest (Elite Spec)?

yes

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

massively devalue gameplay and preparation accumulated on the core Tyria maps.

Didn’t they already did that by giving you enough Hero Points by reaching level 80 if you don’t get the expansion?

Easy, cap HPs to not much beyond one ES until there’s another.

Missing the point. I’m not going to spend ANY HP on Berserker with my Warrior. I am categorically disinterested in it theme-wise and mechanically. So I’m going to have 600 HP sitting around when the second Espec comes out. If “not having it first day” is such a big deal, are they gonna~

1. Say ‘Screw you and any sense of choice, you have to buy Berserker in full before you can start on the one you actually want.’
  2. Say ‘Ha ha, the second one costs 2000 points. But don’t worry the challenges in the new zone are worth 50 HP each. Oh, and you can gets stared for a mere 500. (a.k.a. a direct repeat of todays’s bombshell)
  3. Say ‘Fine. You planned. You saved. It’s 400 points and you can buy it now.’

‘Cause I’m not holding my breath for 3 after people planned and saved and built up their HP waiting for Heart of Thorns to release.

That’s where I think different kind of hero points (‘Hero Points’ and ‘Jungle Hero Points’) would be good. The normal ones are limited to the core specs and the new ones are limited to the new elite spec. Add to that a simple conversion of 1:10 (HP:JHP) and you have the same practical system like right now. And for future HPs/elite specs you would also take a 1:10 conversion from the previous HPs/elite spec.

The improvement would be that even after 10 expansions you wouldn’t have high numbers for the new elite specs.

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

If people were planning on doing it anyway, there’s no point complaining about doing it.

For the 1000000 times, people want to do the new expansion content with the new elite spec builds, not with the characters they’ve been playing for the past 3 years. People want to enjoy new WvW maps with the new elite spec builds, not karma train and grind hundreds of ranks with characters they’ve played for the past 3 years just to unlock the elite spec builds.

People do want to do the content and play the new expansion. People will do raids, grind masteries, farm new mats, work towards legendaries, play all those new cool race games they’ve created, etc.. They just would rather do it with the new elite specs.

kitten .

(edited by gavyne.6847)

Posted by: jubov.2037

jubov.2037

if you cant do 40 hero points on day 1 idk what to say, most are " eat this" or " duel this noob"

Yeah… most likely it won’t be that simple. Do I need masteries to get to them? Do I need masteries to get to the other zones? Are they harder, do I need group for them? Are they blocked by events? And so on, we have no idea yet how easy/hard it is to get the hero points.

The one to Rule.2593

So…..get the elite specs?

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

There is a difference between being obligated to do it and doing it voluntarily.

There is a difference between doing it with old core spec you have played for 2 years and doing it with a brand new elite spec.

There is a difference between doing it at your own self-pace, feeling relaxed and having fun and rushing through them just to unlock some basic content.

The one to Rule.2593

You aren’t obligated to get elite specs, you choose to do so voluntarily. No ones holding a gun to your head.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

The complaint is, they want to START doing the new content with the new elite specs already. They don’t want to play the same thing they’ve been doing all these years, and THEN get the elite spec after they have pretty much already finished all of the HoT content.

Cause then what would be the point in having new fancy elite specs, if you won’t even have them fully unlocked until the end of all the content? Then what would you do with them after you’ve done everything already just to unlock them in the first place?

So they want to be able to get them before starting HoT, so they can experience all the content in HoT while playing/testing the new elite specs. At least that’s what I got out of all of it.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

(edited by SpyderArachnid.5619)

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

That’s the thing, right now, it looks like we’ll have to do a good majority of the open world to get the elite spec. When there are players who would have preferred to do a good majority of the world with a maxed out elite spec character.

The one to Rule.2593

The complaint is, they want to START doing the new content with the new elite specs already. They don’t want to play the same thing they’ve been doing all these years, and THEN get the elite spec after they have pretty much already finished all of the HoT content.

Cause then what would be the point in having new fancy elite specs, if you won’t even have them fully unlocked until the end of all the content? Then what would you do with them after you’ve done everything already just to unlock them in the first place?

So they want to be able to get them before starting HoT, so they can experience all the content in HoT while playing/testing the new elite specs.

I sincerely doubt you’ll have to play through " Most " of HOT to unlock them. It’s not going to take as long as people think. People will have them in under a week

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

That’s the core of the complaint, having the elite specs gated behind expansion content. This means we’ll have to play new expansion content with the same ‘ol characters we’ve played for the past 3 years. Likely have to do masteries in order to unlock some hero challenges.

It’s just boring and disappointing to have to play these same ‘ol characters in the new expansion, and have to repeat it over and over and over and over until you’ve done it for all your characters and unlocked their elite specs. All this just so we could play the new elite specs in the new expansion content both in PvE & WvW.

If you don’t understand this, then I’ve got nothing further to say to you. I wish Colin would come back and talk with the playerbase more so players don’t have to tear each other apart on behalf of Anet. It’s clear some are ok with it, some aren’t. No sense letting players kill each other over it because nobody’s going to change anybody’s minds here.

The one to Rule.2593

That’s the core of the complaint, having the elite specs gated behind expansion content. This means we’ll have to play new expansion content with the same ‘ol characters we’ve played for the past 3 years. Likely have to do masteries in order to unlock some hero challenges.

It’s just boring and disappointing to have to play these same ‘ol characters in the new expansion, and have to repeat it over and over and over and over until you’ve done it for all your characters and unlocked their elite specs. All this just so we could play the new elite specs in the new expansion content both in PvE & WvW.

If you don’t understand this, then I’ve got nothing further to say to you. I wish Colin would come back and talk with the playerbase more so players don’t have to tear each other apart on behalf of Anet. It’s clear some are ok with it, some aren’t. No sense letting players kill each other over it because nobody’s going to change anybody’s minds here.

I understand it, it’s just ridiculous that people thought that they were just gonna get their elite specs with no work.

Swagger.1459

This hype train is really starting to derail…

Just wait until the players, who don’t pay attention to the forums, open up their character panel lol

Seera.5916

I understand it, it’s just ridiculous that people thought that they were just gonna get their elite specs with no work.

No one was expecting no work, but the amount needed seems high to some, especially to those who have a number of alts.

SpyderArachnid.5619

So they want to be able to get them before starting HoT, so they can experience all the content in HoT while playing/testing the new elite specs.

I sincerely doubt you’ll have to play through " Most " of HOT to unlock them. It’s not going to take as long as people think. People will have them in under a week

We don’t know that yet though.

Remember, we can’t explore all of the jungle without maxing out certain masteries that will grant us access to closed off sections of the jungle.

What happens when those 20-40 hero points we need are locked behind those closed off sections? Then we have to start maxing out masteries just to be able to get those extra hero challenges so we can finish unlocking the rest of the elite spec.

So on top of having to play through the jungle to get enough hero points to unlock your elite spec and have it playable, we might have to grind out masteries as well to get access to closed off areas just to get enough hero points to fully unlock our elite spec. Which in turn, will be majority of the content in HoT before we even get our elite spec.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

“Do you really think they (Anet) want players to play a half-kitten Elite Spec across the entire 4 new maps just to unlock the traitlines and utility skills?”

Yes, actually.

If you run the elite spec without all of it being unlocked, then you’re basically lowering your power level of your own free will. You’ll be weaker, and on some level I’m sure you’ll feel weaker.

Then, as you work your way through the unlocks, you’ll get that power back, slowly but surely. It will feel like progression because it IS progression, but from a self-imposed depowered state.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

You aren’t obligated to get elite specs, you choose to do so voluntarily. No ones holding a gun to your head.

No instead they have people heaping derision on what was a big selling point for a number of people, that instead of it being a core part of HoT, it’s essentially ‘a reward’ for playing HoT. Quite a big difference.

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

This was a dumb post, because I was planning on replying anyway. See how useless both of our comments were now?

No, because what you’ve just said is completely irrelevant and nonsensical.

Now instead of cruising through the new content at a nice, easy pace to get the most for my money, I’m going to have to speedrun through it just so I can play the elite spec I want to play as quickly as possible. The best part? Once I finally get it, I’ll already be burnt out on the new content, and I won’t want to bother playing with my brand new elite spec that acted as the entire incentive to complete the content in the first place.

But hey, at least you guys get your progression, right?

Posted by: quercus.9261

quercus.9261

Well if it’s 170 points to unlock the trait lines I can live with that. As long as I don’t have to buy weapon skins as well to get the traits unlocked.

A pewpew ranger in WvW is useless but a druid won’t be. 170 points is the minimum required to even bother logging a ranger in to WvW to get more points by doing WvW. 170 points is the starter level to not being useless.

I grinded out those 170 points in Tyra and didn’t enjoy one second of it. I did it only because that is what was datamined. I doubt more then 10 hp in the new maps will be available without masteries.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

/sigh

(Silver platter) here yah go. The whole game unlocked for you. Enjoy.

Because it would be morally wrong to have new maps and new skills at the same time.

Hmmm. I could have sworn that when the game first started I had to unlock the weapon skills then the utility skills then the traits by playing to level 80 and getting skill points, for each and every single char I made.

Could be wrong of course, but that’s what I remember.

Just you. When I played the game at the start, players finished weapon skills by level 3 of a particular set if starting fresh via mob kills, and also received all traits by level 60, there were no level requirements by tier, and all of these were based solely on level instead of any kind of content-gating.

I.E., you had the last 20 levels to enjoy a full build and start working on gear for endgame rather than reaching 80 and just learning about the game or not getting to enjoy the content you’ve just completed to create a build to complete better.

In other words, yes I did have to level without any tomes or writs or by fast leveling in eotm. I had to get to level 60 to unlock everything by playing the game and it me hours and hours to get to level 60 just by map completion and events, and there wasn’t any way to fast track it.

I guess my memory isn’t so faulty after all.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: metal chill.8490

metal chill.8490

I highly disagree with the gemstore suggestion. a lot of us basicly gave them 60$ (or in my case 100$) for these elite specs, with little to no intrest in PvE. what they need to do is make it like any other traitline, and leave the cosmetics on the backend to be gained as prestiege items. wich im hoping is the case.

(edited by metal chill.8490)

SpyderArachnid.5619

Well if it’s 170 points to unlock the trait lines I can live with that. As long as I don’t have to buy weapon skins as well to get the traits unlocked.

A pewpew ranger in WvW is useless but a druid won’t be. 170 points is the minimum required to even bother logging a ranger in to WvW to get more points by doing WvW. 170 points is the starter level to not being useless.

I grinded out those 170 points in Tyra and didn’t enjoy one second of it. I did it only because that is what was datamined. I doubt more then 10 hp in the new maps will be available without masteries.

Already confirmed to be 400 hero points. A character who has done everything in Tyria, should have around 200+ points. Then you can get 10 per hero challenge in the Magumma. So you’ll need to do at least 20-40 hero challenges in Magumma to get your elite spec.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

No instead they have people heaping derision on what was a big selling point for a number of people, that instead of it being a core part of HoT, it’s essentially ‘a reward’ for playing HoT. Quite a big difference.

Exactly. These specs have been hyped since day 1. Most of the news articles and points of interest streams were all about various elites. It was not like they were all-powerful either: while some fixed things others were just a flat-out ‘no’. It was clear they were aiming for a rough balance with existing professions.

Everyone expected to use them from day 1 (albeit with an unknown number of HPs, but we were assured it would be less that world completion would give us). I bought HOT for the new mechanics, I planned on looking at the new regions later at my own pace. There have been plenty of threads that took day-1 elites for granted ….. plenty of chances for someone at anet to say something.

Posted by: quercus.9261

quercus.9261

Already confirmed to be 400 hero points. A character who has done everything in Tyria, should have around 200+ points. Then you can get 10 per hero challenge in the Magumma. So you’ll need to do at least 20-40 hero challenges in Magumma to get your elite spec.

400 to unlock everything. 170 to just unlock the traits (I hope). More to unlock the utilities and skins but in a separate progression

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Having ALREADY DONE an extra 200 hero challenges hardly counts as “no work”.

If the Meguma Jungle ones are so simple that we should be done with 40 of them the first day they hardly need a x10 multiplier on their value.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Wow. This is the first I’ve heard of this particular shenanigan. ANET, you’re making me pretty happy that I’m not bothering with the expansion. My only plans for friday will be touring the Labyrinth.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

The one to Rule.2593

Just because they expected they were going to use them day one does not ever mean that they were. The title of " Elite" should have betrayed the fact that it was going to take some work.

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Unless I am mistaken just to unlock half of the training line, we need 212 hero points?

It’s 400 points total to unlock everything in an elite spec training line – I just can’t remember off hand how many points folks have currently if they have done all the existing ones, but it’s right around 200. The rest you’ll need to earn in jungle to unlock the deeper skills/traits/etc. in the training line.

You only need 60 hero points to begin using your elite spec, the points you spend after that continue to unlock more skills, traits, skins, etc.

Again, hero challenges are worth 10 points each in the jungle. So no you don’t need to go do 200-400 jungle challenges.

A Portrait of the Player as a WvW Regular

- Two accounts (actually I have three but only purchased HoT for these two).
- Twelve level 80s
- Two above 60 hero points
- Only one with 100% map completion
- 75% of toons under 20% map completion
- 5904 combined total gaming hours
- No Legendary
- No full sets of ascended gear
- Purchaser of gems with real cash
- 1892 combined WXP rank (677 and 1215 respectively)

How can you help me? Can I hire you to get the hero points for my toons?

Attachments:

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

Exactly. These specs have been hyped since day 1. Most of the news articles and points of interest streams were all about various elites. It was not like they were all-powerful either: while some fixed things others were just a flat-out ‘no’. It was clear they were aiming for a rough balance with existing professions.

Everyone expected to use them from day 1 (albeit with an unknown number of HPs, but we were assured it would be less that world completion would give us). I bought HOT for the new mechanics, I planned on looking at the new regions later at my own pace. There have been plenty of threads that took day-1 elites for granted ….. plenty of chances for someone at anet to say something.

Exactly my attitude as well. I pre-purchased the expansion in large part because the new specs looked fun for my mesmer and necro. I worked on gathering skill points so I could play those specs. I intended to take the new zones slowly.

That’s not what I’m getting. The new elite specs will, at best, be weak and incomplete, so to do the new content I’ll need to use the old traits/skills. I won’t be playing the new specs until after I’ve already worn out the expansion. I don’t get to use the new toys until after the fun is done.

But it’s just a game, and very optional. I’m already hunting a new place to waste time.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Players want to play, not “work” and do menial tasks..,

Then they should be playing something other than an MMO. The genre is nothing but time sinks and lists of tasks to do. Many things distinguish good MMO’s from bad MMO’s, but underneath the graphics and the mechanics that allow players to complete their tasks, MMO’s consist of a list of tasks. Developers strive to make those tasks take as long as possible while not crossing over a line where a vast majority think completion takes too long.

Posted by: Schurge.5194

Schurge.5194

I don’t have enough points for mine yet (120/170), don’t expect to by launch… I also don’t expect to unlock an entire specialization on day one of an expansion.

Champion Phantom
We are not friends.

Seera.5916

Just because they expected they were going to use them day one does not ever mean that they were. The title of " Elite" should have betrayed the fact that it was going to take some work.

Funny, I don’t require having to do much work for my elite skill.

So there is precedent for the expectation of not having to do much work for things that are elite.

Not saying that there shouldn’t be work for an elite spec, just that claiming that people shouldn’t have expected work is a bit much considering the amount of work not needed for elite skills.

Posted by: dom.2748

dom.2748

I don’t have enough points for mine yet (120/170), don’t expect to by launch… I also don’t expect to unlock an entire specialization on day one of an expansion.

120/400* Anyway, I did expect that, People should be able to get their specs so they can practice with them and make builds for raids.

Swagger.1459

Perfect time to add flying mounts Colin

Posted by: Kaiser.9873

Kaiser.9873

As I read it it will take 400 for the entire unlock, which will be traits and cosmetics. It is entirely reasonable that we could unlock the entire trait system with the 170, and then spend the other 230 on cosmetic items.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I’m glad its gonna take forever. It’s gonna give people something to do and bragging rights once they’ve unlocked it.

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

I would buy hero points for money. Being required to throw away your points on things you don’t want is really a bad call. I bought HoT personally for herald, not to have to farm a pretty huge chunk of points just to play a class. Overall no one is happy with this.

Also people who have ults are unhappy as it’s simply just a very poor system of hero points.

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

I hate wasting hero points on things I am not going to use. I guess they are saying you must master all aspects of the core profession before you can go elite. I was sure looking forward to playing my scrapper on launch day, but it seems I will be hunting hero challenges.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Hell no to the gem store suggestion. That’s an abomination. I’m not thrilled with the 400 points, but I’ll take that over having it in the gem store.

Posted by: Solomon Darkfury.3729

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Unless I am mistaken just to unlock half of the training line, we need 212 hero points?

It’s 400 points total to unlock everything in an elite spec training line – I just can’t remember off hand how many points folks have currently if they have done all the existing ones, but it’s right around 200. The rest you’ll need to earn in jungle to unlock the deeper skills/traits/etc. in the training line.

You only need 60 hero points to begin using your elite spec, the points you spend after that continue to unlock more skills, traits, skins, etc.

Again, hero challenges are worth 10 points each in the jungle. So no you don’t need to go do 200-400 jungle challenges.

A Portrait of the Player as a WvW Regular

- Two accounts (actually I have three but only purchased HoT for these two).
- Twelve level 80s
- Two above 60 hero points
- Only one with 100% map completion
- 75% of toons under 20% map completion
- 5904 combined total gaming hours
- No Legendary
- No full sets of ascended gear
- Purchaser of gems with real cash
- 1892 combined WXP rank (677 and 1215 respectively)

How can you help me? Can I hire you to get the hero points for my toons?

THIS!!!! SO MUCH THISSSSSS!!!! This is EXACTLY how EVERY WvW regular feels right now…