Elite Specializations & Hero Point Feedback [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

Well if it’s 170 points to unlock the trait lines I can live with that. As long as I don’t have to buy weapon skins as well to get the traits unlocked.

A pewpew ranger in WvW is useless but a druid won’t be. 170 points is the minimum required to even bother logging a ranger in to WvW to get more points by doing WvW. 170 points is the starter level to not being useless.

I grinded out those 170 points in Tyra and didn’t enjoy one second of it. I did it only because that is what was datamined. I doubt more then 10 hp in the new maps will be available without masteries.

Already confirmed to be 400 hero points. A character who has done everything in Tyria, should have around 200+ points. Then you can get 10 per hero challenge in the Magumma. So you’ll need to do at least 20-40 hero challenges in Magumma to get your elite spec.

As I read it it will take 400 for the entire unlock, which will be traits and cosmetics. It is entirely reasonable that we could unlock the entire trait system with the 170, and then spend the other 230 on cosmetic items.

Colin stated that there are skills and traits that require more than 200 points.

“It’s 400 points total to unlock everything in an elite spec training line – I just can’t remember off hand how many points folks have currently if they have done all the existing ones, but it’s right around 200. The rest you’ll need to earn in jungle to unlock the deeper skills/traits/etc. in the training line.”

(edited by Eponet.4829)

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

I’ve had this character since launch. Prior to Spirit Shards being a currency we had to spend hero points for crafting certain items. I spent quite a few on crafting. Also Prior to the trait line changes I had unlocked everything after the update (this was a few months back) I had two trait lines locked as if I had never used them which I had to spend hero points to re-unlock.
Given the problems and changes to how hero points behave and what they can be used for some old players are getting a really horrible deal with this.

We need an explanation on how many of the 400 points will be required to have access to all the traits to make an effect Elite Specialization build. Colin said “you’ll need 60” which would be the same as the other core Specializations. Will the other 340 be needed just to obtain the elite spec armor skins and unique armor piece? If that’s the case, I don’t have any complaints with the way it’s planned except for on my older characters who used hero points as currency for other things.

For players rolling new characters, just be conservative with the utility skill unlocks and go do 10-15 hero challenges in the core game.

Posted by: Trustilotous.9672

Trustilotous.9672

Considering the new hero challenges in the HoT maps give 10 hero points each and with the amount of hero points currently attainable in game, getting all traits/skills unlocked and then spending 400 for the elite is pretty light honestly. I think it’s in a great spot. Also, to clarify, Colin said you’d need 60 points to “start” playing the elite spec, which I assume means 60 points gets you that very first passive in the spec which gives you your new weapon and special profession ability (ex. reaper shroud, celestial form, etc).

Posted by: FinalPatriot.8034

FinalPatriot.8034

So I thought the great selling point with GW2 is that it didn’t “force” you to have to farm such items just to play all the skills of your class. Am I right in saying that’s not the case anymore?

Laura Seranus – Mesmer –
“Shatter Me!”
“I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.”

Posted by: Trustilotous.9672

Trustilotous.9672

Hero points have never been something you have to “farm.” You just do them as you travel through maps. Since each hero challenge in new maps is worth 10 points, that essentially makes the 400 hero points the equivalent of 40 hero points in the old maps (keep in mind that core specs cost 60 hero points). Just play through the 4 new maps and you’ll probably be unlocking your elite spec faster than you originally unlocked one of your core specs.

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

Oh look another thread.

Posted by: Kronos.2560

Kronos.2560

It kind of feels like they are forcing us to have the “New Player Experience” even now that we are lvl 80.

I was hoping to meander my way through the new areas exploring and enjoying but now all I’ll be doing is rushing to Hero Points so i can get herald. Maybe I’ll go back and enjoy it after but its very doubtful considering I have 10 accounts..

The forcing to play the new content makes me VERY worried. First the kitten dungeon rewards to incentivize new content… and now they basically REQUIRE us to play in these areas for elites (old WORLD map completion only gives 200 hero points). If you have to force people to play in the areas that usually means they are poorly made! crossing fingers that isn’t the case…

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

I think this is unfair, because I already spent thousand of hours on some of my characters, why do I need to redo all this once more just to unlock the new aspect?

I’m ok with the “unlock everything in Elite Spec” causes 400 points, meaning you can choose your priority of which trait/ skills to unlock first.

I’m not ok with unlock everything at once for 400 points, gating everything before I grind my way to 400 points..

Also I have 4k skill points wasted into Spirit Shard thanks for your update. How come all the “levels” (skill points) I earned suddenly doesn’t count at all, and I have redo all the challenges again?

SamTheGuardian.2938

Unless I am mistaken just to unlock half of the training line, we need 212 hero points?

It’s 400 points total to unlock everything in an elite spec training line – I just can’t remember off hand how many points folks have currently if they have done all the existing ones, but it’s right around 200. The rest you’ll need to earn in jungle to unlock the deeper skills/traits/etc. in the training line.

You only need 60 hero points to begin using your elite spec, the points you spend after that continue to unlock more skills, traits, skins, etc.

Again, hero challenges are worth 10 points each in the jungle. So no you don’t need to go do 200-400 jungle challenges.

Unless you’ve been playing since launch and you spent most of your hero points early on. What exactly do we get for 60 points?

Posted by: Jephiroth.3197

Jephiroth.3197

Unless I am mistaken just to unlock half of the training line, we need 212 hero points?

It’s 400 points total to unlock everything in an elite spec training line – I just can’t remember off hand how many points folks have currently if they have done all the existing ones, but it’s right around 200. The rest you’ll need to earn in jungle to unlock the deeper skills/traits/etc. in the training line.

You only need 60 hero points to begin using your elite spec, the points you spend after that continue to unlock more skills, traits, skins, etc.

Again, hero challenges are worth 10 points each in the jungle. So no you don’t need to go do 200-400 jungle challenges.

A Portrait of the Player as a WvW Regular

- Two accounts (actually I have three but only purchased HoT for these two).
- Twelve level 80s
- Two above 60 hero points
- Only one with 100% map completion
- 75% of toons under 20% map completion
- 5904 combined total gaming hours
- No Legendary
- No full sets of ascended gear
- Purchaser of gems with real cash
- 1892 combined WXP rank (677 and 1215 respectively)

How can you help me? Can I hire you to get the hero points for my toons?

THIS!!!! SO MUCH THISSSSSS!!!! This is EXACTLY how EVERY WvW regular feels right now…

I’m right there with you!

2 Guardians at 80, 1 of each other class at 80, highest map completion is 62%, no legendaries, never a precursor, two sets of ascended gear (heavy knights and medium sinister), enough trinkets for one character to be fully ascended and one accessory away from a second set of trinkets. ~1900 hours played, here since the jump start 3+ years ago, 7 of 9 characters have less than 5% map completion. Very casual player (maybe 5 hours/week). Married, 2 year old, school part time and work 40+ a week, teach first aid on the side. I’ll be lucky to have any elite spec unlocked by the end of the year, the changes to WvW hero points will help, but I’ll quickly be outpaced by the hardcore people, no matter how much “prepping” I do.

EDIT
Doing some math, I may be able to be about 120 points invested into the Druid line (in addition to unlocking it)

It may not be bad, we’ll find out in a couple days!

Traumahawk: WvW Shout/Seed Sinister Druid
Ashen Mistwalker: WvW Tank/Crit Revenant
Oaken Earthlore: WvW Medi/Bunker Guardian

(edited by Jephiroth.3197)

Posted by: Eirian Direstorm.9748

Eirian Direstorm.9748

Currently, just leveling to 80 gives you enough to unlock all the current lines. —I’ve been leveling an engi for the past two weeks, and every few levels you get a lump of hero points as part of the reward for leveling up.

For the elite, you can run hero points in regular pact Tyria, you can do hero points in HoT maps, you can buy them with new WvW currency (maybe there’s a PvP currency too, I can’t recall).

Really, it’s not that bad.

SamTheGuardian.2938

Considering the new hero challenges in the HoT maps give 10 hero points each and with the amount of hero points currently attainable in game, getting all traits/skills unlocked and then spending 400 for the elite is pretty light honestly. I think it’s in a great spot. Also, to clarify, Colin said you’d need 60 points to “start” playing the elite spec, which I assume means 60 points gets you that very first passive in the spec which gives you your new weapon and special profession ability (ex. reaper shroud, celestial form, etc).

Well, how many hero challenges will there be in HoT? Currently we average around 7 hero challenges per map. Let’s say HoT gives us a high number like 10 per map, that’s still only 100 hero points per map of the 400 you need. If it takes 200 hero points to get to the point where the Elite Spec can be useful most will be either grinding hero challenges or end up not unlocking the Elite Spekittenil the later half/end of the expansion. If that is the case, it’s really horrible design. The elite specification play mechanic is probably the biggest value of the expansion. We want to play the expansion with them out the gate at launch, it greatly enhances the game feeling new. If you can’t put together a good Elite Spec build until the last 20% of the expansion that’s really a waste.

IMO they should have incorporated the Elite Spec into the instanced story and made it so we were full unlock (except for elite skins and armor item) at the end of the 2nd or 3rd story instance. That would have gotten people focused on the gameplay and not the hero challenge grind, Still want to know what exactly we get when we spend 60 hero points towards the Elite Spec.

(edited by SamTheGuardian.2938)

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

I understand it, it’s just ridiculous that people thought that they were just gonna get their elite specs with no work.

Since when is map completion “no work”.

SamTheGuardian.2938

Currently, just leveling to 80 gives you enough to unlock all the current lines. —I’ve been leveling an engi for the past two weeks, and every few levels you get a lump of hero points as part of the reward for leveling up.

For the elite, you can run hero points in regular pact Tyria, you can do hero points in HoT maps, you can buy them with new WvW currency (maybe there’s a PvP currency too, I can’t recall).

It’s all perspective. Honestly it may be very bad for some. With level up awards you have enough to unlock all core specializations and most utility skills, if you do that it will leave you at 0 hero points. Currently the only way to obtain hero points besides level up awards is hero challenges, those will give you 1 hero point each. There are around 218 of them in the game. If you have an alt that you have not done map completion on you will be doing map completion on that character in the core game (say hello to 20-30 hours of just running around the world to get those 218 points one at a time). I think that’s ridiculous.

Yes new HoT ones will be 10 points each, but how many hero challenges per map do you expect to see? Keep in mind if you are at 0 hero points on a character you will need to do 40 of the new hero challenges to get to 400 points. With only 3 new maps it’s hard to envision that being feasible until near the end of content in the expansion.

I guess it’s not that bad if your expectation was not to have access to the Elite Spekittenil the mid or end of the expansion or if you don’t mind focusing your effort on finding and “grinding” hero points

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

I understand it, it’s just ridiculous that people thought that they were just gonna get their elite specs with no work.

Since when is map completion “no work”.

no work in HOT better? im not interested in playing semantics

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

No, they literally tell you to run the whole Tyria and HoT just to get enough Hero Points to unlock Elite spec.

The number of Hero Points you get is fixed from challenges. You can’t get more from leveling.

There’s only 210 or so Hero challenges. Let’s assume HoT would add another 200 Hero Points. (Consider the size of maps is much smaller than the whole Tyria, that’s ALOT)
You need to go through the whole HoT and Tyria just to unlock one Elite spec.

Imagine if you have 8 alts and 1 new Revenant.
That’s like asking you to run through the whole Tyria and HoT maps 9 times.

You call this ok?

SamTheGuardian.2938

My biggest problem with it is this, why am I being forced to unlock core specializations that I never use in order to get to my Elite Spec? What if I never use Zeal on my Guardian or Earth on my Elementalist, so I’ve avoided spending hero points on those core specializations. Now in order to unlock Dragonhunter and Tempest I have to spend 60 heri points to unlock Zeal, etc.. just to have prereq done to be able to spend the first 60 hero points on the Elite Specialization unlock. Then I have 340 more to get it done. Consider this and also consider the XP required for Masteries. There has to be a balance between the novelty delivered with an expansion with zero effort from the player (the player did spend $50 for you to deliver to them something that feels like a new game), you have to balance what is worked for and what is given right away and I am very disappointed in the decisions they made on how a player will obtain their Elite Spec. Without having those things from the beginning the expansion is likely to feel like more living world content being tossed at us with everything requiring repeated content to unlock. Probably the best choice for those who aren’t children, have day jobs, etc.. is to roll a Revenant. At least they are giving those who bought HoT the option to create one of those without some ridiculous grind

Posted by: Pompeia.5483

Pompeia.5483

I was just running through getting a bucket of my hero points I had remaining on my necro and… what do I see? Dozens of the same people all doing the same thing. Ultra lame

Amanda Corsiva – Revenant && Katereyna – Chillomancer
Jenna Gracen – Scrapper && Merit Sullivan – Guardian
Daenerys Ceridwen – Druid && Vexia Gracen – Chronomancer

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Unless you’ve been playing since launch and you spent most of your hero points early on. What exactly do we get for 60 points?

With 60 points it means that you only need to get 340 more to fully unlock your elite spec!

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

I wonder what was wrong with the topic already made?
also, 400 points is not quite right. Colin said to start you only need 60, how far that gets you who know, but any left over hp after maxing out the core traits first, is a bonus towards that. Plus jungle hp give you 10 points each.

My biggest problem with it is this, why am I being forced to unlock core specializations that I never use in order to get to my Elite Spec? What if I never use Zeal on my Guardian so I’ve avoided spending hero points on that core specialization. Why am I being forced to unlock trait lines I will never use anyway? Makes no sense.

It a elite skill that why. You need your core understanding to develope into a elite.

Posted by: Alukah.2063

Alukah.2063

- Twelve level 80s
- No Legendary

Anet should totally cater to you, because your case is the same as 90% of the playerbase.

Posted by: Cross.6437

Cross.6437

It bothers me how few options we have for earning these points. In the core game, leveling traits and skills happens as you level. You can do literally anything, anything at all that interests you and get the points you need. Now, I just feel so limited in my options.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

- Twelve level 80s
- No Legendary

Anet should totally cater to you, because your case is the same as 90% of the playerbase.

There ya go, even more reason to change it!

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

SamTheGuardian.2938

I wonder what was wrong with the topic already made?
also, 400 points is not quite right. Colin said to start you only need 60, how far that gets you who know, but any left over hp after maxing out the core traits first, is a bonus towards that. Plus jungle hp give you 10 points each.

My biggest problem with it is this, why am I being forced to unlock core specializations that I never use in order to get to my Elite Spec? What if I never use Zeal on my Guardian so I’ve avoided spending hero points on that core specialization. Why am I being forced to unlock trait lines I will never use anyway? Makes no sense.

It a elite skill that why. You need your core understanding to develope into a elite.

What are you saying makes sense from a lore perspective (although it’s a bit of a stretch). From a functional perspective of user experience it’s ridiculous. What makes sense from a player perspective should win regardless especially considering we are talking about a game that made “no-grind” manifesto a core part of it’s marketing for years leading up to its release.

I don’t use those core specializations and NEVER WILL yet I have to spend hero points to unlock them. As a player I think it would be much better design to put me in a situation where I can choose to sacrifice unlocking a core specialization in favor of spending those points on an elite specialization. In that scenario, It’s still going to take me some work to unlock the Elite beyond my level up hero points, but a much more reasonable amount of effort.

Posted by: Jephiroth.3197

Jephiroth.3197

The initial 60 point investment will unlock the elite line and give you your minor which will allow you to use the new mechanics. The rest will be up to you to earn/spend more points on. If it follows a similar pattern to the other lines, you’ll need ~40 points to unlock the utilities, ~10 for the elite skill, ~10 for the heal skill, ~60 in trait abilities. Since these are ELITE specializations, you can guess that the points are ramped up (hence the HoT content awarding x10 hero points).

I’d guess
~100 for the traits,
~100 for the utilities/elite/heal,
60 for the initial unlock,
40 for the rune,
50 for the weapon skin,
50 for the armor skin

That would put us right at the 400 mark.

Traumahawk: WvW Shout/Seed Sinister Druid
Ashen Mistwalker: WvW Tank/Crit Revenant
Oaken Earthlore: WvW Medi/Bunker Guardian

TJgalon.5012

So it takes a little work, if you already have left over skill on the main it wont be hard anyways. on top of that, when you unlock mystery, it be even easier on alts. It a skill, like any other you have to go out to earn, like all your other ones.

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

No, they literally tell you to run the whole Tyria and HoT just to get enough Hero Points to unlock Elite spec.

The number of Hero Points you get is fixed from challenges. You can’t get more from leveling.

There’s only 210 or so Hero challenges. Let’s assume HoT would add another 200 Hero Points. (Consider the size of maps is much smaller than the whole Tyria, that’s ALOT)

You call this ok?

Yes.

TJgalon.5012

Actually somewhere Colin posted you do not need points from core Tyeria at all, the jungle has what you need, one reason for the +10. Level to 80 on your own unlock all your core traits too. So really, Core tyria HP are bonus starters, if I understand it fully right.

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

You call this ok?

HoT has 40 Hero Challenges… Each gives 10 Hero Points… No need to do old Tyria if you do NOT want to.

In WvW after patch you will have to gain 200 WvW Ranks and 6000 badges to buy all 40 Hero Challenges for Maguuma Jungle which is the 400 Hero Points required for the elite.

The above has to be done for each character as well.

EDIT::: OLD RANKS DO NOT COUNT TOWARDS THE NEW CHALLENGES.

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]

Random.4691

- Twelve level 80s
- No Legendary

His case is the same as a lot more players then you think. GJ on the ignorance though, mega servers give you the illusion of PvE being more populated. You would be surprised how many WvW players there actually are.

Posted by: Lorelei.7809

Lorelei.7809

To all WvW Players:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/earning-hero-points-in-world-vs-world/
“The addition of these new items means you can do every hero challenge in the game by exclusively playing WvW if you wish!”
5 WvW ranks, 10 Hero points with Maguuma Scrolls
1 WvW rank, 1 Hero Point with central Tyrian Scrolls

And note:
a)10 points per challenge in Maguuma.
b)There are enough challenges in Maguuma alone to get all Hero Points required.

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

I’m glad its gonna take forever. It’s gonna give people something to do and bragging rights once they’ve unlocked it.

its not going to take long as you think its going to, some players will have it unlocked the first day. Most will just have to do 20 HP’s in H.O.T maps and boom its unlocked since each HP is worth 10 points.

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

(edited by JediYoda.1275)

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

I’m going to kitten everyone off here, all of that assumed you would be able to unlock the Elite Spec on day one only have yourselves to blame. Just because it’s a feature of the HoT expansion doesn’t necessarily mean you get to use the entire thing on day 1, you can unlock it on day 1, but to max it out would require playing the content some(I expected that). I also certainly didn’t expect the BWE numbers to be the same as live numbers, those where adjusted to allow people to test the Elite specs. I have no problem getting the necessary HP beyond the ones I’ve already accumulated on all my characters from HoT…each play through of the maps is different with a different character, even if the map itself is the same.

SamTheGuardian.2938

The initial 60 point investment will unlock the elite line and give you your minor which will allow you to use the new mechanics. The rest will be up to you to earn/spend more points on. If it follows a similar pattern to the other lines, you’ll need ~40 points to unlock the utilities, ~10 for the elite skill, ~10 for the heal skill, ~60 in trait abilities. Since these are ELITE specializations, you can guess that the points are ramped up (hence the HoT content awarding x10 hero points).

I’d guess
~100 for the traits,
~100 for the utilities/elite/heal,
60 for the initial unlock,
40 for the rune,
50 for the weapon skin,
50 for the armor skin

That would put us right at the 400 mark.

Say hello to your Elite Spec finally becoming available as you prepare for the last battle in HoT -or- choose to go into HoT grinding for Hero Points. Bearing in mind the new maps are huge they are just vertical. 20-30 hours doing map competition in core game to get 200 hero points, then expect to spend 10-20 hours (probably much more) running around HoT searching out 20 of the 10 point hero point challenges you’ll need to finish it off.

If you are limited on play time per week or you want to do something other the grind away for hero points expect to spend months, perhaps years at this. If your main is starting with 0 hero points because you’ve spent them all on crafting, unlocking, etc… This is completely unfair, but such is life.

As with most of the new systems it’s designed to bring players into the game and make them play 24/7. This coming from a game who’s initial design was very much “we are for the casual MMO player” and we will never require grind.

Kitten you ArenaNet. You lied to us and you’ve taken the core thing I was looking most forward to and you’ve made so unless I decided to take time away from my job, family and other hobbies I don’t have much to look forward to in PvE. You can say “that’s how MMOs are” and you’re right EXCEPT THIS ONE WAS PROMISED TO NOT GO DOWN THAT PATH. Which is why many of us decided to choose it over other games out there to invest our time in.

On the positive side this does help my decision to focus on PvP and perhaps WvW and to give much a less of a kitten about PvE. Sad thing is the BWE instanced story was actually quite good and I was actually looking forward to PvE again in GW2 Oh well. Enough ranting, my apologies to all it’s just this is such a big let down to hear they’ve made this decision. I’m done responding, they will not change their mind. They think the map designs alone are all the novelty players deserve out the gate for their purchase of the expansion. I don’t agree with that and no amount of discussion will change it because while the maps are great, without the elite specs it really doesn’t feel all that new.

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

So…..get the elite specs?

That’s the core of the complaint, having the elite specs gated behind expansion content. This means we’ll have to play new expansion content with the same ‘ol characters we’ve played for the past 3 years. Likely have to do masteries in order to unlock some hero challenges.

It’s just boring and disappointing to have to play these same ‘ol characters in the new expansion, and have to repeat it over and over and over and over until you’ve done it for all your characters and unlocked their elite specs. All this just so we could play the new elite specs in the new expansion content both in PvE & WvW.

If you don’t understand this, then I’ve got nothing further to say to you. I wish Colin would come back and talk with the playerbase more so players don’t have to tear each other apart on behalf of Anet. It’s clear some are ok with it, some aren’t. No sense letting players kill each other over it because nobody’s going to change anybody’s minds here.

No one was expecting no work, but the amount needed seems high to some, especially to those who have a number of alts.

That’s the life one chooses when they decide to have alts, IMO alts are suppose to be expensive, and time consuming. I would be really rich if it wasn’t for my alts, ( seriously, I made my first legendary for an alt).
Thb, the amount of work is not that high, for what you need, could get done in a few hours.

Posted by: Alukah.2063

Alukah.2063

- Twelve level 80s
- No Legendary

His case is the same as a lot more players then you think. GJ on the ignorance though, mega servers give you the illusion of PvE being more populated. You would be surprised how many WvW players there actually are.

Yeah because there’s a direct relation between WvW population and people with 12 characters.

“His case is the same as a lot more players then you think.”

Citation needed.

Posted by: hurrado.2346

hurrado.2346

/sigh

(Silver platter) here yah go. The whole game unlocked for you. Enjoy.

Would you call having access to a lvl 80 character “the whole game unlocked”? No? Then I wouldn’t consider gaining access to the elite specs that we paid for “the whole game unlocked” either.

The actual game is playing for masteries, raiding, dungeon running, WvWing, PvPing, farming for mats, and map exploration which was always an optional thing not a requirement.

I would rather have access to the elite specs that I paid for, so I can go ahead and enjoy the rest of the game at my own pace, on my own time, when I want to. You know, the Guild Wars way. To the OP, yes today’s news is a buzzkill to many. People who enjoy PvE and map exploration of course are ok with the news. But for the rest of us that prefer other parts of this fine game, it was a buzzkill. It soured my mood 3 days before expansion launch…and here I was hyping and getting excited about it before we were slapped with this info.

Which by the way, the same info players have been asking clarification for weeks and months ago. People already had expectations that they could play their elite specs on day 1. And bang, 3 days before launch we’re slapped with this awful news. Buzzkill indeed. My hype & excitement now is filled with dread. Because frankly, running around unlocking hero points is not what I consider fun. Nor is it having to do it 11 times for my 11 characters.

You get the all core traits unlocked by dinging 80. You get the ELITE traits unlocked by playing the game. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have to play the game to unlock elite traits on all my level 80s.

People who enjoy PvE and map exploration of course are ok with the news. But for the rest of us that prefer other parts of this fine game, it was a buzzkill

It’s unlocked in PvP automatically for HoT owners. You can unlock in WvW just by playing in WvW. So this part of your complaint is not valid.

Why do PvP players get it unlocked for free and WvW players don’t? You cannot give any sort of logical rational argument as to why that is the case. Why don’t PvP’ers have to play X amount of pvp before it’s unlocked for them. It’s what the WvW player has to do. You completely gloss over the fact that PvP are given instant and complete access to the entire content for their favored mode yet WvW and PvE are not. Yet when the WvW community makes comments about the situation you come here with asinine comments about “silver platter”. It’s the pvp community that is given the entire content on a silver platter, why can’t the WvW have the same opportunity to have the content unlocked immediately for their game mode.

I primarily play pvp, rarely play pve content and especially not open world content because I find it tedious. I do play a lot of wvw also because I enjoy the competition. I really would like it even if they made it so you have to unlock them in pvp, but once they are unlocked you can use them in the other game modes so I don’t have to waste my time on content I do not enjoy playing as much or at all.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

You’ll get scrapper way before all 400 points , don’t worry

Also spvp players got everything unlocked except certain rune/sigils for gold.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Keitaro Dragonheart.9047

Keitaro Dragonheart.9047

So 400 hero points, per character, across all 12 of my characters? Plus possible mastery grinding on the very first character? Now that I sit and really think about that…Even with 213 Hero Points already on my main:

Random.4691

- Twelve level 80s
- No Legendary

Yeah because there’s a direct relation between WvW population and people with 12 characters.

“His case is the same as a lot more players then you think.”

Citation needed.

Nice cherry pick, did you just decide to leave out the rest of the list because it did not suit your argument ?

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

/sigh

Because it would be morally wrong to have new maps and new skills at the same time.

Hmmm. I could have sworn that when the game first started I had to unlock the weapon skills then the utility skills then the traits by playing to level 80 and getting skill points, for each and every single char I made.

Could be wrong of course, but that’s what I remember.

Just you. When I played the game at the start, players finished weapon skills by level 3 of a particular set if starting fresh via mob kills, and also received all traits by level 60, there were no level requirements by tier, and all of these were based solely on level instead of any kind of content-gating.

I.E., you had the last 20 levels to enjoy a full build and start working on gear for endgame rather than reaching 80 and just learning about the game or not getting to enjoy the content you’ve just completed to create a build to complete better.

In other words, yes I did have to level without any tomes or writs or by fast leveling in eotm. I had to get to level 60 to unlock everything by playing the game and it me hours and hours to get to level 60 just by map completion and events, and there wasn’t any way to fast track it.

I guess my memory isn’t so faulty after all.

You said 80. You stated you had to unlock everything. All utility skill types were available and did not need to be unlocked, and were available at level 11. Elites came in at 30. You can play sPvP the entire game and end up with a full build via tomes, and that was the ONLY way to get them. There were no dailies, no tomes as rewards in WvW, etc.

You act like getting tomes and using them to level up either a main or second characters isn’t a valid way to play. sPvP players do this, as the game intended, and they exist to allow a choice in what to level up. ANet knows making alts is tedious. Why else would they give free level 20/30 scrolls for character birthdays?

Seriously, don’t act all high-and-mighty on this subject like we’re entitled or that you’re a better individual. I get you want to have fun. I do, too. My fun doesn’t involve running around a map pressing 1 and f and/or grinding away masteries to get there that I frankly deem useless considering I have no intention on playing extensively within the jungle. Why? Because I don’t have that kind of time, but I like this game a lot, so I’m voicing my concerns. I’d like to get the ability to play the new specs from HoT. I really couldn’t care less about the loot or money or skins from them. I just want to play the spec for what it is, and what HoT was sold on, basically.

Is there something wrong with being upset about a purchase, or mislead on what that purchase may entail, or trying to voice concerns about it?

Posted by: Endlos.4852

Endlos.4852

You know what would be fun?

Not being required to sink more than 120 points into trait lines that I don’t want and will never use just to unlock the ‘privilege’ of spending another few hundred on stuff that I do want to use.

There’s no good reason or excuse to require the player to 100% unlock the base class before accessing the elite specialization. I can only equip 3 trait lines at a time, including the elite. Why in the kitten would I need to have fully unlocked 5 trait lines before I can slot the 6th? The only answer that can be given is “well, it extends the grind” and if that’s the only answer, then you need to rethink the design.

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

To all WvW Players:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/earning-hero-points-in-world-vs-world/
“The addition of these new items means you can do every hero challenge in the game by exclusively playing WvW if you wish!”
5 WvW ranks, 10 Hero points with Maguuma Scrolls
1 WvW rank, 1 Hero Point with central Tyrian Scrolls

And note:
a)10 points per challenge in Maguuma.
b)There are enough challenges in Maguuma alone to get all Hero Points required.

So… 200 WvW ranks?

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

- Twelve level 80s
- No Legendary

lol, so what do i have?

• No characters with map completion (89% is the highest)
  • 8 Level 80s
  • 4 with above 60 hero points, but only 2 above 80
  • 37.5% under 20% completion
  • 3560 Hours
  • No legendary
  • 1 full set of ascended gear (Guardian), could finish a 2nd set if I wanted (Engineer missing just 2 armor pieces)
  • I actually just get my gems via gold (pro karma trainer)
  • WvW Rank 1803

Well, not too far off….

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Lorelei.7809

Lorelei.7809

Re: 200 WvW ranks?
Yep.
Note that a lot of people who seriously WvW probably have that many WvW ranks (and much much higher). I haven’t really done it to a large extent and I’m rank 60 or so?
That right there is 120 points.
For the other 280, it can simply be 28 Maguuma hero challenges. Which doesn’t sound too bad to me. And of course, it could be 140 more WvW ranks.
But the fact of the matter is, is that it can be done 100% in WvW. So you can play as you wish.

(edited by Lorelei.7809)

Random.4691

Re: 200 WvW ranks?
Yep.
Note that a lot of people who seriously WvW probably have that many WvW ranks (and much much higher). I haven’t really done it to a large extent and I’m rank 60 or so?
That right there is 120 points.
For the other 280, it can simply be 28 Maguuma hero challenges. Which doesn’t sound too bad to me. And of course, it could be 140 more WvW ranks.
But the fact of the matter is, is that it can be done 100% in WvW. So you can play as you wish.

Most of us do have rank 200 and much higher but its not retroactive that we have been made aware of so even for the most hard core of WvW players 200 ranks will take a couple weeks.

It’s nice that they gave us this as an after thought but thats really not the right word because there wasn’t much thought put into it. The amount we get per rank need to be increased significantly if we’re to keep up with the Jones (PvE). Right now 200 ranks is like spitting in our face, it’s basically the same as leaving a penny for a tip and expecting a thank you from your server.

Posted by: Silvyy.8743

Silvyy.8743

Can somebody please give a link to where every one is getting this information.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

/sigh

Because it would be morally wrong to have new maps and new skills at the same time.

Hmmm. I could have sworn that when the game first started I had to unlock the weapon skills then the utility skills then the traits by playing to level 80 and getting skill points, for each and every single char I made.

Could be wrong of course, but that’s what I remember.

Just you. When I played the game at the start, players finished weapon skills by level 3 of a particular set if starting fresh via mob kills, and also received all traits by level 60, there were no level requirements by tier, and all of these were based solely on level instead of any kind of content-gating.

I.E., you had the last 20 levels to enjoy a full build and start working on gear for endgame rather than reaching 80 and just learning about the game or not getting to enjoy the content you’ve just completed to create a build to complete better.

In other words, yes I did have to level without any tomes or writs or by fast leveling in eotm. I had to get to level 60 to unlock everything by playing the game and it me hours and hours to get to level 60 just by map completion and events, and there wasn’t any way to fast track it.

I guess my memory isn’t so faulty after all.

You said 80. You stated you had to unlock everything. All utility skill types were available and did not need to be unlocked, and were available at level 11. Elites came in at 30. You can play sPvP the entire game and end up with a full build via tomes, and that was the ONLY way to get them. There were no dailies, no tomes as rewards in WvW, etc.

You act like getting tomes and using them to level up either a main or second characters isn’t a valid way to play. sPvP players do this, as the game intended, and they exist to allow a choice in what to level up. ANet knows making alts is tedious. Why else would they give free level 20/30 scrolls for character birthdays?

Seriously, don’t act all high-and-mighty on this subject like we’re entitled or that you’re a better individual. I get you want to have fun. I do, too. My fun doesn’t involve running around a map pressing 1 and f and/or grinding away masteries to get there that I frankly deem useless considering I have no intention on playing extensively within the jungle. Why? Because I don’t have that kind of time, but I like this game a lot, so I’m voicing my concerns. I’d like to get the ability to play the new specs from HoT. I really couldn’t care less about the loot or money or skins from them. I just want to play the spec for what it is, and what HoT was sold on, basically.

Is there something wrong with being upset about a purchase, or mislead on what that purchase may entail, or trying to voice concerns about it?

Calm down. I’m not acting all high and mighty. You’re projecting.

I was wrong about the level 80 part, but what I was trying to say was that just like at launch where you had to play to unlock weapon skills, utility skills, and traits to unlock the core specializations, you’ll need to play to unlock the elite. They haven’t changed how they want you to play. If it’s not already unlocked, you’ll need to play the game to unlock.

And you’re wrong about all utility skills being available at level 11. Here was the unlock schedule at launch. The last tier of utility skills unlocked at level 20. In addition, you couldn’t buy them unless you bought 4 or 5 (I forget now which) skills from each of the 2 levels above and you had to have enough skill points to buy. No skill points, no unlock. No previous purchase of sufficient number of lower tier skills, no unlock.

Utility slots unlock at lvl 4, 10, 20
elite skill slots unlocks at lvl 30
weapon swap unlocks at lvl 7

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Forum bug squish.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: misterdevious.6482

misterdevious.6482

I’m hoping that rewards for all kinds of WvW events are getting a look at. It was always annoying that you needed badges to get the Supply Traps, Siege Disablers, (and even Stealth Traps) for defense… but defense events don’t give the badges you need…

Note to self: Shoulda just been karma-training and let all those keeps flip.