Elite Specs in Gem Store?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I was wondering if the Elite Specs would ever be a thing ArenaNet would sell a la carte in the cash shop? I plan on buying PoF when it comes out, but I didn’t buy HoT. I won’t be buying HoT, BUT there are a few Elite Specs I would purchase if they were on the cash shop a la carte or in an Elite Spec bundle.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

HoT is only $20 if you bought POF. I guarantee you that if anet ever sold what you’re asking for it would cost more than $20.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

HoT is only $20 if you bought POF. I guarantee you that if anet ever sold what you’re asking for it would cost more than $20.

idk. seems to me $5 per spec seems a reasonable price.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Fatalyz.7168

Fatalyz.7168

But yet they just released a 2k gem insta-80 boost, and you are expecting an elite spec for 400 gems. Not gonna happen.

Elite specs in the Gem store most likely won’t happen because Anet will want real money for those, not people trading gold for gems. At your suggested rate of $5 per, that’s all anyone would do. You’d be looking at just over 100 gold per spec (this is taking into account the current conversion rate of 27 gold 64 silver per 100 gems, 100 gems is $1.25), that is ludicrous.

In other words, if Anet did take your suggestion, it wouldn’t be at $5. As Nekretaal alluded to, Anet would charge way more than $5 per.

(edited by Fatalyz.7168)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Even if $5/spec was ‘reasonable’, it’s moot — ANet wants people to play HoT.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

But yet they just released a 2k gem insta-80 boost, and you are expecting an elite spec for 400 gems. Not gonna happen.

Elite specs in the Gem store most likely won’t happen because Anet will want real money for those, not people trading gold for gems. At your suggested rate of $5 per, that’s all anyone would do. You’d be looking at just over 100 gold per spec (this is taking into account the current conversion rate of 27 gold 64 silver per 100 gems, 100 gems is $1.25), that is ludicrous.

In other words, if Anet did take your suggestion, it wouldn’t be at $5. As Nekretaal alluded to, Anet would charge way more than $5 per.

This.

Anything that can be purchased via gems will be bought by at least some players who spend gold. While the gems they’re gaining via the exchange were purchased with real money, the more gems the player needs for whatever it is he wants, the better it is for the gem exchangers and for ANet. More gold in the exchange raises the conversion rate, which makes buying gems to get gold look more attractive.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Elite specs in the gemstore will clearly cross the line of what constitutes p2w in a cashshop, regardless of any gold conversion.

I play GW2 because it isnt an Asian MMO.

Please dont try to make it into one. Lets stick to expansions.

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

I actually think it’s pretty reasonable to offer a service to unlock elite specs. I don’t know why I would ever buy an elite spec apiece instead of the whole expansion since it’s just 20$ now, but perhaps that would be a sell to those people who are still on free accounts.

But there’s a big problem. You would need to get your hero points somewhere to unlock the skills, and there’s not enough hero points in core Tyria to unlock everything? So where would you get those hero points?

If they unlock all the skills for you, you’re essentially buying power because expansion purchaser have to work for their hero points, and buying power is crossing the line.

If you don’t get any hero points you pretty much can’t use your elite spec so what’s the point to buy it?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Elite specs in the gemstore will clearly cross the line of what constitutes p2w in a cashshop, regardless of any gold conversion.

Not a bad point. Doubtless such accusations would be made, as we see them any time ANet puts something in the store that someone doesn’t want to have to pay for.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I think that adding elite specs to the gemstore would be less p2w.

Currently, in order to access elite specs, a player must spend real money. Under the OP’s proposal a player could spend in game gold instead.

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

In GW1 pvpers could buy unlock packs giving access to the skills and professions from a campaign without access to its PvE areas. I don’t really see a difference between that and selling expansion e-specs in the gemstore.

I still don’t think they will do it – simply because they’ve really not shown any inclination to sell expansions features piecemeal!

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

In GW1 pvpers could buy unlock packs giving access to the skills and professions from a campaign without access to its PvE areas. I don’t really see a difference between that and selling expansion e-specs in the gemstore.

I do. In gw1 you weren’t able to do that for ingame currency.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November