Elite specs deserve their own stories not HP

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: DavyMcB.1603

DavyMcB.1603

Each one of them deserves to have a unique story that brings players to different zones/lores. Imagine getting traits/skills for a chrono and you have to travel to meet people and face different events/npcs/challenges to gradually learn about chrono. Of course I’m not talking about the infamous trait unlocks through irrelevant events. I’m talking about real stories/quests.

Imagine going to the first NPC and he says “so, you want to master the magic of time?”

Why? why? why? why? are they gated behind vanilla point grinding?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Because that’s how the system has been since launch for abilities at least and since June for traits.

Posted by: Ambrosia.9120

Ambrosia.9120

Why not both? I would love some story behind becoming a druid. I loved when Warcraft did class quests, I was so sad when they took away the bear/seal form quest lines and just threw them at you for obtaining a certain level. I guess the real answer is that some people do not PvE, so the profession elite track lines have to be obtainable from other ways and not solely on quests.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Well they could do a story quest to unlock the ability to apply points to the specilization but it’s a little too late for that now.

Posted by: Agares.6073

Agares.6073

yea i would have loved to unlock my elite with a epic questline, oh well hp farming it is then…. so exciting

Posted by: lorddarkflare.9186

lorddarkflare.9186

What we have now is not a grind, but yes, this would have been preferable.

That said, I assume they did not think this was a good use of resources.

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

I could only imagine the absurd complaining that would accompany a change like this. Imagine people comparing across professions and crying that theirs is harder/grindier/easier/less fun/more fun/shorter/longer/cooler/etc./etc.

These forums already contain enough salt to kill every human on Earth. No need to add more.

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

I agree there should be some small story mode for introducing/becoming an elite spec.

Posted by: OnizukaBR.8537

OnizukaBR.8537

It would be cool, but it would take even more time from then, i prefer much more that they start to work on the next elite espec than waste time in story for it, and if you main one or two class you would only see a small % of these new stories

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

People are already up in arms that they can’t fully unlock their elite spec the instant HoT goes live.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Imagine going to the first NPC and he says “so, you want to master the magic of time?”

But what if you were the first one. Marjory for example took the greatsword, asked Rox for tips and was like I am a reaper now.

I would guess that the other members of the team will basically do the same thing when they encounter the crashed ship and the old team in HoT. Perhaps the story will briefly mention them willing to teach the player, at which point access to the elite specialization (the ability to spend points) will be unlocked.

Posted by: Dark Saviour.9410

Dark Saviour.9410

I agree with this topic. GW2 is really lacking in terms of story and world-building, IMO, so having ‘side-quests’ associated with unlocking the Elites would be great.

Was thinking that GW2 could benefit from taking some queues from something like FFXIV. And it did; just the wrong ones…

Gone for good after Halloween 2Ø12.
A shame fun things could not simply be fun.

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

That’s one thing I wish this game had, more content and story specific to your class and a bit more towards your race as well.
They had that in the beginning originally with the skill points, but decided to combine them all together. I believe as the time they said they wanted everyone from the alt welding maniac to the die-hard X class to be able to experience 100% of the content.
I doubt they’ve change that attitude in the last 3 years