Elixir Recipe Requires Story...

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Mr Cranch.3768

Mr Cranch.3768

…which means you can’t get into the Bitter Cold without doing the story. This is apparently per character. I don’t want to do the story again. I have no problem remaking the elixir. Why is the recipe not an account-bound acquisition? Reminds me of how you couldn’t complete Auric Basin (i.e. get to the Inner Chamber poi) without doing the story. Anet fixed that. They apparently forgot the lesson…

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

You only need to go there for a couple achievements and the mastery point.

The PoI can be obtained without the elixir. I did that on my second character just to check. Just use the thermal turn on the side of the cliff with the warning sign next to it.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Can’t you make the elixer on alternate characters by completing the Heart for the ingredients?

As for the bug with the Firestone, the Devs will likely address it when they return. They are aware.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Can’t you make the elixer on alternate characters by completing the Heart for the ingredients?

No. I tried doing that. When you get to the heat source area, you get an onscreen message saying you don’t know the recipe.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ahh, I was unaware one required the ‘recipe’ first. Pity.

Perhaps, the Devs will adjust that.

Good luck.

Posted by: Towatha.4671

Towatha.4671

I recently found this to be the case too. I wanted to change to my mesmer so my friend, who doesn’t have lava tube mastery required to get it because she recently bought the expansion, could get the mastery point – even though she had done the story and had the elixir recipe.

Slightly annoying, but it didn’t take long for her to get the lava tube mastery and in fact she obtained that before I could finish the story up to the elixir recipe on my mesmer so she got the mastery point herself – but it did create an annoying detour to our playtime.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Huh? I thought once one character got there all your characters got in so you do not have to repeat the story? You mean they found ANOTHER way to gate it? Kitten.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Huh? I thought once one character got there all your characters got in so you do not have to repeat the story? You mean they found ANOTHER way to gate it? Kitten.

Why would they make part of the LS account bound?

Khisanth.2948

Well they did make the ability to collect unbound magic account bound…

Ayrilana.1396

Which has nothing to do with the story. The stories have always been character bound. Loot and such varies and the choices made for specific ones, such as unbound magic, are separate from that made for the story.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Which has nothing to do with the story. The stories have always been character bound. Loot and such varies and the choices made for specific ones, such as unbound magic, are separate from that made for the story.

If you do the PS or LS with a character you only get an achievement for doing it once, not twice. For example, you do not get both the achievements for doing the norn PS and the charr PS.

In the first two chapters the big thing was access to the zone. They sold teleport scrolls so you you only had to do it with one character. It was my understanding that once one character could use the zone portal for the chapter 3 zone any of your characters could.

True, in chapter 2 if you do not have the dwarf thumb you can not get into the area with the head but that is hardly something major. After you do the story there is not much need to go in there again unless you want to wake the skritt that are there.

Khisanth.2948

The ability to collect unbound magic and the elixir are pretty much the same. In both cases it requires doing part of the story to discover how some other group has been doing it. White Mantle for unbound magic and Svanir for the elixir.

Ayrilana.1396

If you do the PS or LS with a character you only get an achievement for doing it once, not twice. For example, you do not get both the achievements for doing the norn PS and the charr PS.

In the first two chapters the big thing was access to the zone. They sold teleport scrolls so you you only had to do it with one character. It was my understanding that once one character could use the zone portal for the chapter 3 zone any of your characters could.

True, in chapter 2 if you do not have the dwarf thumb you can not get into the area with the head but that is hardly something major. After you do the story there is not much need to go in there again unless you want to wake the skritt that are there.

All achievements are by default account bound. The achievements themselves are not a function of the LS although they can be completed within them. In other words, the system for achievements operates independently of the one for the LS.

All of your characters can access the map by using the portal scrolls. I’ve ran several alts through map completion and berry farming. This is just a design choice by Anet to restrict access behind the story.

Ayrilana.1396

The ability to collect unbound magic and the elixir are pretty much the same. In both cases it requires doing part of the story to discover how some other group has been doing it. White Mantle for unbound magic and Svanir for the elixir.

Oh, I didn’t notice that it was part of the story as I had completed that first. I personally don’t have an issue with the recipe being character bound or account bound. I can understand why access was restricted through the story as it was likely a design choice.

Anyway, it’s now account bound once you’ve earned it after doing the story step after the fix went into place. The issue brought up by the OP has been resolved.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Day Trooper.3605

Day Trooper.3605

I have a related issue. Currently I can’t purchase additional firestones from the Kodan npc.

I’m really hoping this is a bug? As obviously I don’t want to redo the story anytime I want to access the Bitter Cold qq.

Khisanth.2948

Oh, I didn’t notice that it was part of the story as I had completed that first. I personally don’t have an issue with the recipe being character bound or account bound. I can understand why access was restricted through the story as it was likely a design choice.

Anyway, it’s now account bound once you’ve earned it after doing the story step after the fix went into place. The issue brought up by the OP has been resolved.

It is still not account bound. You have misread the patch notes.

The fix was simply to prevent your character from forgetting the recipe and for the game to stop forgetting to drop the suet for your character if you restart the episode.

I have a related issue. Currently I can’t purchase additional firestones from the Kodan npc.

I’m really hoping this is a bug? As obviously I don’t want to redo the story anytime I want to access the Bitter Cold qq.

I recommend doing everything you need to do there in one go and then forgetting the place exists except when doing the story. The minimum duration for the elixir is 2 hours so that should be more than enough time to do everything.

(edited by Khisanth.2948)