Empty Dragon's Stand maps

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: hotcarl.8621

hotcarl.8621

I can never seem to find a populated map… Seems like I always wind up on an empty map, and when I try to taxi ppl in, they leave after about 10 seconds because they don’t feel like doing the whole event or waiting for other people. So I taxi people in until I can’t post anymore due to “excessive messaging”, and still the map is empty.

My personal feeling is that there are tons of players out there looking to do the DS meta, but because there is nothing to do on the map until there are enough people, no one sticks around long enough to get anything done. The sheer number of people who join and then leave in a short period of time when I try to taxi corroborates this explanation.

Anyone else have the same experience with this map?

Posted by: hotcarl.8621

hotcarl.8621

BTW I usually use an event timer, but it just sucks that I have a 5-minute window to join a DS map, or else I’m basically locked out of the event for the next 2 hours. I would’ve thought that for the first 30-40 minutes after the DS meta begins, new maps would be created and filled up. I mean, it really only takes an hour at the most to finish the last blighting tower, so time isn’t really a factor at that point.

Maybe the issue is more that too many new maps are being created and that people don’t stay in one map long enough to actually see if it fills up. Can’t blame them, since even when I’ve tried to taxi people into a “fresh” map (1:30+ remaining), no one stays and I end up wasting my time.

Anyway, I hope Anet is aware of this issue.

Posted by: Rasgalinj.2763

Rasgalinj.2763

Having the same problem, actually still haven’t even completed a DS meta due to maps always being completely void of players. Pretty much gave up on it 3 weeks ago, haven’t even tried since.

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Well, I tried couple times when HoT was released and stopped caring about it when I understood how stupid the system is. Havent bothered for months now.

Posted by: Daewind.1072

Daewind.1072

I tend to do map by map progression (moving to next map when I have done almost all content of previous one). I have done all meta events in VB and AB, but I lack MP’s to feel comfortable to do the last two maps and I suck in stupid arcade games.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

imo, big events should be something you queue in to rather than occurring on the maps themselves and limited to the event’s area, similar to story instances. Dragon’s Stand was almost made that way, but they need to go a little further. When these events are about to happen, a warning should pop up asking if you want to participate (ie, Mordremoth is about to attack… Join the battle?). That way, everyone is on the same page and everyone that joins was active at that moment.

Posted by: Kiza.5630

Kiza.5630

Hotcarl, Rasfalinj, Fogleg, are you playing on EU or NA? If you’re on an EU server I can get you into a full DS map. But only the 18:30 or 20:30 version. Contact me ingame if you’re interested.

I mean, it really only takes an hour at the most to finish the last blighting tower, so time isn’t really a factor at that point.

I’ve seen it use up almost the whole 2 hours. So sadly nobody ever tries with 1:30 left on the timer. Everyone wants to play it safe.

I agree it’s not the best solution. But right now it’s the only thing we can do. And there are ways to at least make the best out of it. Map is still fun, imo.

Posted by: Fade to Black.7042

Fade to Black.7042

http://dulfy.net/2015/11/09/gw2-hot-maps-timer-famme/

Be there 15-20mins before it starts. and make sure to join a commander to stick with your zerk when event starts.

FogLeg.9354

Thanks Kiza, I have WvW raid during the 20:30 version but I may try the earlier map. Again, thanks for helping out

The main thing I was trying to say earlier, I stopped caring about it. I very rarely can play at specific times and even then its mostly 15-20 until I have to take break again. Only WvW raid lasts longer.

FogLeg.9354

I tend to do map by map progression (moving to next map when I have done almost all content of previous one). I have done all meta events in VB and AB, but I lack MP’s to feel comfortable to do the last two maps and I suck in stupid arcade games.

Ah, fellow map completer

Thats how I do them too. I finished every single thing in VB until moving on to AB (ok, I do have this one achievement about maxed tower to do yet). And only when AB was finished with 4 different characters, poked my head into TD. I have done Chak meta there 3 times by now but even my most played char has completed the map only about 50%.

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

I have the same result if I show up after map reset. The trick is to show up about 15 mins before the map resets. You’ll land in a map full of people, who squad up and then reconvene on a single map once it resets.

Personally I think the megaserver is a little loopy about this map, because post-reset it always puts you in an empty copy, when I know there are populated copies that aren’t full.

Posted by: Dinas Dragonbane.2978

Dinas Dragonbane.2978

Personally I feel that too much of the playerbase wants a free ride. While the map works with it being full, it also works with smaller groups as well but you will rarely ever see that happen. I usually try to abuse downscaling to fight the Legendaries before they get close enough to the zerg to get scaled up. Best success with that was killing Stavemaster Adryn with 4 people in just over a minute.
Until a map has 15 players that will actually try and start it off, nothing will happen, even if a map has 50 players standing there looking at LFG, they won’t actually accomplish anything until a few people start herding them.

Dinas Dragonbane, the Danger Ranger
Tri-Lead of Ascension [WAR] of Borlis Pass

Posted by: Kerin.9125

Kerin.9125

I have the same result if I show up after map reset. The trick is to show up about 15 mins before the map resets. You’ll land in a map full of people, who squad up and then reconvene on a single map once it resets.

Personally I think the megaserver is a little loopy about this map, because post-reset it always puts you in an empty copy, when I know there are populated copies that aren’t full.

IMO the map reset in DS is asinine, it prevents people getting themselves organised, VB/AB/TD don’t need this stupid mechanic, it simply makes DS more of a PITA than it already is and for no good reason .. though I expect some will spout the usual “work at it” drivel.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

• The nature of megaservers makes it inevitable that lots of people will zone into seemingly low-pop maps.
  • The design of DS allows smaller groups of people to succeed, if there’s a core of people who know what they are doing, who also take the time to make sure everyone else does, too.

Megaservers & low pop: folks who understand how this works will taxi to coordinated maps. Thus, likely-to-succeed maps are full, nearly-full maps become full quickly, and all other maps are emptied to fill the others. Until ANet figures out how to automatically get people from low-pop to high pop, you need to LFG for taxi (or have friends who do that for you).

Minimum numbers to succeed: As Dinas says, you need a minimum of 5 people at each initial event and (if they know what they are doing) that’s enough to complete the push to the gates. 40+ is probably better (although it’s almost certainly necessary for the experienced folks to explain the various mechanics).

After the gates, people like to have 10 in each center and a zerg for the perimeter, but it can be done with fewer. 6-10 for each center and if the edge group divides into three, they can camp the preserver spawn locations. Yeah, the DPS is lower, but you spawn fewer adds and those adds aren’t chasing across the map. Or you can do it with a traditional zerg. Again, people need to know what they are doing, so the vets have to explain beforehand how it works, so that everyone is contributing to the success.

For final fight, again, it’s essential for lower-pop maps that everyone knows what’s going on, so vets need to explain before events why it’s important to be spread out, why wait on breaking the dragon’s defiance, and how to get bombs to the fight quickly. I recommend reforming to a single squad, so that everyone can see which islands need help (and where they are) rather than guessing and people getting confused & slowing down to ask “where is island 1”.

tl;dr it’s likely that each of us will encounter a low pop map; it’s possible to organize it or it’s easy to taxi to a near-full one.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Alexander Thorsen.3147

Alexander Thorsen.3147

I can never seem to find a populated map… Seems like I always wind up on an empty map, and when I try to taxi ppl in, they leave after about 10 seconds because they don’t feel like doing the whole event or waiting for other people. So I taxi people in until I can’t post anymore due to “excessive messaging”, and still the map is empty.

My personal feeling is that there are tons of players out there looking to do the DS meta, but because there is nothing to do on the map until there are enough people, no one sticks around long enough to get anything done. The sheer number of people who join and then leave in a short period of time when I try to taxi corroborates this explanation.

Anyone else have the same experience with this map?

Posted by: Alexander Thorsen.3147

Alexander Thorsen.3147

I agree, I hate going to Dragon’s Stand because all the waypoints are contested except 2 and with No one to assist you in defeating the insurgents your all alone. Also Wish It would be easier to find the Mastery Points in Dragon’s Stand. Would be great if more people could get together to fight off and move around the map better.

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

In general, use lfg DS taxi. Then have someone tag up, it doesn’t have to be a commander tag a mentor tag work just fine. Continue to taxi people in by saying DS Organized Taxi.