Everything wrong with HoT

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

2) Only thing that requires a group is raids. The open world is easy enough to solo or duo (especially since they nerfed the content in BWE3). The entire game does NOT have to be soloable. There needs to be stuff for guilds to do, which thankfully HoT is adding.

Guild Missions you need players 3 or more players, Claiming Guild hall you need 5 or more players, Raids of course several players.

BW3 difficulty was bugged according to Anet or just a PR spin no one will really know outside of their studio.

I’ll believe it when I see it as far as the difficulty goes. I think BWE2 was just about perfect personally.

And yes, I should have thrown guild missions in there but to be honest….we already have guild missions in the game and they currently are not for solo players. So it should not come as a surprise that guild halls and new missions are not going to be that. It’s a given that anything guild related is not for the solo folk. And there NEEDS to be more guild content, it’s sorely lacking in this game.

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

If the “GW2 community is the friendliest community out there” as Anet touts then most likely OP, myself and others wouldn’t have an certain issue/s. Since its clearly isn’t the friendliest community out there hence we have some issue/s.

There are other ways to kitten the situation; you’re being in some way awkward, friendliest doesn’t mean “shares all JediYoda’s values,” friendliest just means most friendly (doesn’t mean will be everyone’s friend).

You could maybe try to make your own guild which you can build with likeminded people if you’re having trouble finding those preconstructed out there.

I am aware of that and that’s not what I’m saying you taking it out of context just little bit too far. Less toxicity in the community would go a long way is what I’m saying!

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

(edited by JediYoda.1275)

Posted by: Warlock.7136

Warlock.7136

2) Only thing that requires a group is raids. The open world is easy enough to solo or duo (especially since they nerfed the content in BWE3). The entire game does NOT have to be soloable. There needs to be stuff for guilds to do, which thankfully HoT is adding.

Guild Missions you need players 3 or more players, Claiming Guild hall you need 5 or more players, Raids of course several players.

BW3 difficulty was bugged according to Anet or just a PR spin no one will really know outside of their studio.

I’ll believe it when I see it as far as the difficulty goes. I think BWE2 was just about perfect personally.

And yes, I should have thrown guild missions in there but to be honest….we already have guild missions in the game and they currently are not for solo players. So it should not come as a surprise that guild halls and new missions are not going to be that. It’s a given that anything guild related is not for the solo folk. And there NEEDS to be more guild content, it’s sorely lacking in this game.

i would accept all of what you said here except that anet specifically said in it’s guild hall preview articles that “every guild would be able to participate no matter how small including single player banking guilds who would be slow to build but would also be allowed a guild hall” it’s ok to not deliver content without a group focus. unless of course you promise that thats not whats happening first.

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

Participate is not the same as accomplish alone. You can participate, get a couple more people to help you, this is participating. It seems you have misinterpreted what they said.

Any guild can achieve a hall just as any player can play all the content available (provided you purchased the xpac) you may need help from other players though. You are limiting yourself, no one else is limiting you, not the players, not Anet, it’s all on you. You are more than entitled to play anyway you like but you need to accept the consequences that come with those decisions.

Warlock.7136

Participate is not the same as accomplish alone. You can participate, get a couple more people to help you, this is participating. It seems you have misinterpreted what they said.

Any guild can achieve a hall just as any player can play all the content available (provided you purchased the xpac) you may need help from other players though. You are limiting yourself, no one else is limiting you, not the players, not Anet, it’s all on you. You are more than entitled to play anyway you like but you need to accept the consequences that come with those decisions.

Me and my wife have a guild. it has several high tier upgrades that we managed. it also has some locked off content that requires more players then we are willing to deal with.(as virtualy every player interaction we have is negative, including btw this interaction) we expected the same from HoT i.e. want a guild hall? ok here it is. want to make improvements? ok but you will work harder and move slower then larger guilds. no problem. some rewards held in reserve unless you are a guild balancing things like player drama. also ok. tbh we would be happy with a guild hall that has a couple of merchants and some decorations, like the guild hall mordrem decoration that we bought with the supposed “ultimate pack” paying extra for something we can’t use feels abrasive. are we asking for equal content. no. are we asking for some content? yes.

Random.4691

Maybe everyone else is not the problem if every interaction you have is negative ? You say including this one, why is that ? Was I rude to you ? Did I fling insults at you ? Did I call you names ?

I really think you should look inwards, there are plenty of helpful nice people in this game and on these forums, i strongly believe that if every interaction you have in this game is negative then it’s probably not healthy for you to play such a game.

No, that is not meant as insulting, you seem like a nice enough person, a little over sensitive imo but still maybe you just need not to take every little thing to heart.

The bottom line is, they said everyone will be able to participate, you are not being left out of that, you are choosing not to participate because you don’t like that it’s not your version of participation. Would it really be that bad to find some like minded people to help you and your wife achieve your guild hall ?

(edited by Random.4691)

Warlock.7136

ok. i think i’m coming off wrong here. an interaction can be “negative” without directly violating the tos. something that i think is being equivalated here. you do not have to be rude(allthough more players are then aren’t i can screen shot just about any heavily populated city and show an overlay of the tos to prove this.) negative can be many things. running the same dungeon path for 4 hrs straight for example is a negative interaction regardless of the side effect of having or not having rude behavoir. being kicked from a group without a word other then “not meta” is a negative interaction but not based in rude. dealing with a player in a thread who is suggesting that somehow you don’t deserve content that you paid for,can be negative and again not technically rude or tos violating. negative means just that i walked away with more stress then i came to it with. it’s a game it is supposed to be stress releaving not stress elevating.

Warlock.7136

as for the “would it be so bad to find some like minded people to help you.” yes. they don’t exist we have tried sense launch. if you stick your hand into a slot labeled “surprise” and you receive an electric shock as your “surprise” eventually you stop beliving in pleasant surprises and you pavlovianly associate the word surprise with the electric shock. at which time you stop trying. which is why the twin flames guild was formed in gw1 and carried through to gw2. we are a guild that is 10+years old. we deserve some content especially if it was one of the reasons anet said we should spend extra on. just a note as of posting this anet got 200$ from us. we deserve what we paid for.

Random.4691

I certainly didn’t suggest you don’t deserve it, you deserve it and it is obtainable that seems to be what you’re not understanding. They shouldn’t change the game for 1 or 2 people who seem unwilling to work with others. As I said you’re entitled to play the game how you choose but there are consequences to those choices. Anet is not preventing you from obtaining a guild hall, you are preventing you from obtaining it.

Anyways, I can see where this is going, you’re not going to accept any answer but the one you want to hear, so best of luck to you and your wife, I hope you figure out a solution to your problem.

Posted by: Shevek.2691

Shevek.2691

And A.net is affording you the ability to play said content. But it doesn’t matter how much you’ve played or paid—everybody has to make a conscious choice on what’s attainable and what’s not. Would I like to try some of the PvP content at a higher tier/rank? Sure, but I also realize that I’m just not that great in a PvP environment.

So despite what I paid and how long I’ve played, I’m not gonna “get” to play that content because of a choice. The content of HoT is still very much open to you, but you’re making a choice to -not- adapt and flex. Which is fine. But it also means A.net isn’t necessarily responsible for it.

For you and your wife, you’ve the following: Open World content with World Bosses, HoT Personal Story, Adventures, and Guild Halls (if you can stomach getting the people).

Posted by: King Noob IV.3560

King Noob IV.3560

don’t forget thief specialization

D/D Elementalist takes no skill but is good at everything in the game.
Mesmer is unfun to play against and does everything better than thieves.
Hoping those two get gutted with nerfs

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If it’s impossible to find like minded people, yet the content requires more people than what your guild has, maybe you should consider hiring “mercenaries.” You hire them to do the content with you, making them temporary no benefits members if that’s required by the content, and pay them to go with you to the spot and open up the guild halls. Have emails between you and each person spelling out what you expect of them and how much you are paying with a return email from them accepting the terms.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Warlock.7136

ty you have been one of the reasonable people on here. all i was trying to say is that we paid extra for some features otherwise why buy ultimate rather then deluxe. we deserve to use these things. regardless of how we play the game.

Posted by: Lysander Freeman.4186

Lysander Freeman.4186

I haven’t played much in the beta. This past weekend was the first one I participated in… sort of. I’m perfectly fine with waiting to experience a new game when it launches. All I did this weekend was create a Dragonhunter, Druid, Rev, and Chronomancer to take a peek at how the theory of these highly touted new specializations and the rev play out in practice.

I was honestly let down overall with the class upgrades. On the one hand, I like new skills. We desperately need them. We need more to do with our characters than play the same builds every day/scenario. What I wasn’t a planning on was how short of a time span you had to actually use the new special stuff . Chronomancer’s time-rift thing for four seconds, tops? Really? And the druid… seems like an inconsistent burst heal? The Rev was ok. I could dig that, the you didn’t have such a brief time to use the new cool stuff. As for the Dragonhunter… I think by that time I just got tired of reading paragraphs of skill tool tips and figuring things out.

New places to play in, great. I dig that.

But I think that someone somewhere was trying to get too “clever” with the skills. I much prefer the good old fashioned “Heals X Players by Y amount over Z seconds”. The new skills overall just looked like they were made too complicated for what they were.

I’m sure my opinion will change a little during actual play when things go live. But I do hope the very short time spans to use some of these skills is made to last a bit longer so you can really use them.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

ty you have been one of the reasonable people on here. all i was trying to say is that we paid extra for some features otherwise why buy ultimate rather then deluxe. we deserve to use these things. regardless of how we play the game.

No one who bought HoT deserves any content more than others who bought HoT. No matter which version they bought.

The players who paid $50 are just as entitled to the content as you are, even though you paid $100.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I agree. Games based around giving up large quantities of your time to advance in a computer generated world where you have no face to face interaction with anyone else, are so not designed for social misfits.

Ok, this made me laugh. Thank you.

Posted by: Gav.1425

Gav.1425

I’mma let you finish, but SAB was the greatest content release of all time.

OF ALL TIME.

Warlock.7136

every person deserves to be allowed to play the base content regardless of purchase package. I.e. be able to beat the game/participate in stronghold/have acsess to new classes/able to do raids. etc. but the whole point of offering extras on collector’s editions. ultimate editions w/e you want to name them is that those players paid extra to get their packages. so they should be capable of using all of it. otherwise why offer the extra pack with the extra perks. it’s like saying when you pay for a hotel room that you deserve the grand suite when you paid a bargain price for your room. no. you are allowed to stay at the hotel. that is what your base package bought you. for extra they can upgrade your suite(to continue the metaphor) to a deluxe. and for their top price you can have the grand suite. regardless this thread became hyperfocused on one small detail when what it was originaly opened for was to discuss the idea of instanced raids. as this would meet anets self stated goals of “every player/class/build accepted to every party, everytime” and to simultaneously help them with a problem they acknowledged in the statement “when any one rune/build becomes the only acceptable build/rune that is unacceptable.”. but it has sense degenerated into bickering. when they get like this i wish you could simply close the thread you opened. so i will handle this like a tech support ticket.

Closed. Post service consumer survey:I have not recived helpful tech support but no longer wish to keep this ticket open.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Just an FYI… The only ‘feature’ that the Ultimate Edition has over the Deluxe Edition is fifty dollars worth of Gems for an additional twenty-five dollars. If you were only interested in the bonus items, you could have just purchased the Deluxe Edition.

Shevek.2691

I wouldn’t consider this bickering. It’s more people trying to explain that your way of doing this is in the minority, and that there’s no way A.net can appease everybody. I mean, Just a flesh wound has a good idea—hire people out who’re willing to help take your guild hall with you. Hell, I’ll even do it with you; conditions are entirely on you, and I don’t care how you play.

But as to why A.net offers it? Well. They figured that somebody who’s getting this for the guild decorations is already in a large enough guild/has a plan for taking the guild hall. It’s generally impossible for them to plan for every single contingency without risking intended value/purpose of said content.

(edited by Shevek.2691)

Random.4691

It’s actually come down to trying to explain simple basics, the key word is trying because he just isn’t understanding or accepting that it is him putting up the blockade for himself. He is more than capable of achieving a guild hall and using his “extras” that he paid for but he refuses to do so and that somehow is Anet’s or other player’s fault.

It’s almost unbelievable that someone can be so blind to reality, he actually seems to believe this game should change to cater to his unwillingness.

It’s kind of sad actually.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

every person deserves to be allowed to play the base content regardless of purchase package. I.e. be able to beat the game/participate in stronghold/have acsess to new classes/able to do raids. etc. but the whole point of offering extras on collector’s editions. ultimate editions w/e you want to name them is that those players paid extra to get their packages. so they should be capable of using all of it. otherwise why offer the extra pack with the extra perks. it’s like saying when you pay for a hotel room that you deserve the grand suite when you paid a bargain price for your room. no. you are allowed to stay at the hotel. that is what your base package bought you. for extra they can upgrade your suite(to continue the metaphor) to a deluxe. and for their top price you can have the grand suite. regardless this thread became hyperfocused on one small detail when what it was originaly opened for was to discuss the idea of instanced raids. as this would meet anets self stated goals of “every player/class/build accepted to every party, everytime” and to simultaneously help them with a problem they acknowledged in the statement “when any one rune/build becomes the only acceptable build/rune that is unacceptable.”. but it has sense degenerated into bickering. when they get like this i wish you could simply close the thread you opened. so i will handle this like a tech support ticket.

Closed. Post service consumer survey:I have not recived helpful tech support but no longer wish to keep this ticket open.

I’m sorry, can you post a link to where it says you get preferential treatment to HoT standard purchasers by purchasing HoT Ultimate. I must have missed it.

The ONLY extras offered for Ultimate that are different from every other package was 4000 gems. That’s it. No preferential treatment. The Deluxe version also doesn’t mention any preferential treatment.

And others have mentioned how you and your wife can get a guild hall so you can use your guild decoration. Just because you choose to not do so doesn’t mean that ANet’s at fault.

That’s like paying for the grand suite at a hotel which comes with complimentary alcoholic beverages, among other things, but not being 21 and therefore can’t consume it. It’s not the hotel’s fault that you’re not 21 and can’t drink it and didn’t look into what was in the package before buying. You chose to buy before learning that guild halls would need more than 2 people to claim them. ANet didn’t force you to prepurchase when you did. You had free choice to wait and see what would be required to obtain guild halls. Yes, I sympathize with your situation, but I also realize that ANet can’t please everyone and they likely had their reasons for cutting off the scaling where they did. I’m sure they didn’t choose to cut off small player guilds out of spite or malice and instead it was a lesser of two evils. It may have been better tuning for large groups or for small groups. And small groups can band together to make large groups. Large groups would have to split apart to be able not make the content way too easy. ANet chose for things to be inclusive instead of exclusive. Where guilds didn’t have to worry as much about “will too many guild members show up”.

You also were free to wait until you heard more about raids before buying. Raids in other MMO’s were never something able to be done by a small group of people and was build initially as challenging group content. This would lead one to believe that it may take certain skills to beat the raid (and the skills could be from a variety of classes and builds).

When you prepurchase, you take on the risk that information given out later will turn you off of the game.

Posted by: Schurge.5194

Schurge.5194

Everything great about HoT (first the rules: I am not priggish enough to tell people what they can and cannot say in response to my post):

Revenant – I enjoyed it. I doubt I will be in a hurry to make one though, Reaper is just too much fun. The limited ability customization is fine. It is the only way they could keep each Legendary themed, strong, and balanced. It isn’t unlike other mechanics already in the game.

“Group Content” – everything is new and scary. And just like the rest of the game you don’t need to group to get things done as you get credit for participating. Events scale with the number of people on the map so when it is literally just me and my girl friend Palmula Handerson logged into Guild Wars and no one else I can still do everything in HoT that I could in Vanilla. I play the game, complete quests, and kill other players by myself or with the select few I deign to grace with my presence without giving a darn about the rest of the server. As for Raid, I’ve never been into Raids but I may give them a go once or twice just to check the encounters out but I don’t really care about Legendary gear and the people I tend to play with prefer PvP and quickly tire of static PvE content.

Vertical Map – I like the claustrophobic feel of the zone. Not a big fan of jump puzzles… thankfully from what I’ve seen thus far I don’t have to be a Ninja to play. Either way going in I knew that PvE aspects of the game weren’t targeted towards me.

Anyways, I love strong spirited trash talk so flame away if you don’t agree with me. I warn you, my vague literary references are brutal.

Champion Phantom
We are not friends.

(edited by Schurge.5194)

Posted by: Quozex.9430

Quozex.9430

Many people in this forum post have offered their opinions and constructive feedback on what you view in the game to be displeasing and unobtainable. None of those comments has harassed or distastefully lashed out at any of your opinions.

I very much agree with the consensus of people posting here that you yourself are putting up barriers that do not actually exist for the common GW2 player such as restricting yourself to a 2 man group to accomplish all content in the game whether or not it was designed for 2 or 10 people.

I am sad to hear that most of your experiences with the general community in game have been unsatisfying as I have not shared many of those experiences save for a few occasions. In such occasions there is nothing that is demanding me, as a fellow player, to keep myself in that situation which I am not comfortable in. I also do not wish to remain in a team that has either harassed me or another in my group. So I leave, make my own lfg and wait at maximum for 10 minutes before it most likely fills and we go on our way to completing that content.

Which leads me to talk about guilds and the up-coming group content. I have been in multiple guilds since launch, ~13. Many of which were small guilds roughly 9 or so people trying to start something big. A few of them succeeded, but I moved on to find other guilds as I personally did not mesh well. I have also encountered 2 guilds (to remain unnamed) that had demanding requirements to partake in activities. Such as the dreaded 100% rep. I personally made a friend in one such guild that required you be in WvW 100% of the time and I did stay in the guild for awhile. Eventually when it came down to being harassed for not dedicating my life to content I didn’t like, I left.

I am now in a comfortable guild that has no requirements. A come and go, be nice to people and lets do stuff guild. We are 494 members strong with 120 on at peak times. All it took was some searching but it sounds as if you refuse to give people a chance when considering adding people to your guild or partaking in another guild.

On the topic of raids. A.net has stated that they are not for the majority of the player base. They are not distastefully rubbing their hands together in a dark room at the idea of players that cannot access 10 man content because they refuse to interact with the player base. This goes back to the idea that you do not give people or yourself the chance to open up to others and make connections. MMO’s are in the end a social game meant to band people together to complete content.

I am not at all attacking you in this post, I am simply restating what many others have tried to offer as constructive feedback on up coming content as well as my own opinions. I do hope that you find a way to interact and enjoy the game that so many others have found and enjoyed.

As for a general comment to those who have posted in the thread, thank you. This has been the single most constructive and civil thread that shows no out-lash at specific posters. I am truly surprised that upon entering this threads second page it has remained constructive and insightful. It does show the truley helpful people that GW2 has for its community that make us so great and friendly. In the event that this thread does become somewhat hostile, I only see it as a reaction that the OP has refused to acknowledge many peoples opinion and to only restate the same thing in many of his responses.

Do not over-use the word toxic as many people in today’s world use tragic.

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

“Everything wrong with HoT”

Dragon Hunter

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

I think that where a lot of folks, and the OP, run into problems is that they buy a game because of what they hope it will become, rather than buying it for what it is now.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

OP, i feel your pain. It is MMORPG, the second M is “multiplayer”, it is not “social”, then it would be MSORPG. Secondly the R stands for “role” and lone wolf is a perfect role. I typically also prefer to roam around on my own, sometimes in a small guild group.
I do however hope that the new maps are full of solo-explorable places (or at least some, that you can get to with the people you meet randomly). On the BW3 at last I felt I could participate in most event flows as a single player. Raids will be a problem, but they will be a problem anyways.

Solo activities will be in Verdant Brink and the other new maps on release.

Warlock.7136

Warlock: when I said closed I meant it. so against my better judgement I will reply to this post as because the poster said they are being calm and trying to be productive and I wish to encourage that. sorry about the quoting you in cut and paste style my partial post quote is broken and shows only blank posts with what I assume is html code when I use the quoting system.

Quozex.9430: Many people in this forum post have offered their opinions and constructive feedback on what you view in the game to be displeasing and unobtainable. None of those comments has harassed or distastefully lashed out at any of your opinions. base. They are not distastefully rubbing their hands together in a dark room at the idea of players that cannot access 10 man content because they refuse to interact with the player base. This goes back to the idea that you do not give people or yourself the

Warlock: having my opinion being called absurd/ridiculous etc as happened in the first page of posts is insulting. everyone’s opinion is of equal value.

Quozex.9430: I very much agree with the consensus of people posting here that you yourself are putting up barriers that do not actually exist for the common GW2 player such as restricting yourself to a 2 man group to accomplish all content in the game whether or not it was designed for 2 or 10 people.

Warlock: as I stated previously this thread was about instancing raids to bypass some of the elitism encountered from the meta zerk and group forming. I have no problem participating in a group. other then dealing with player harassment which has occurred in 3/4 parties I have been in. in my experience, keeping your head down and participating in silence seems best for dealing with this. again not the point of this thread but fine.

Quozex.9430: I am sad to hear that most of your experiences with the general community in game have been unsatisfying as I have not shared many of those experiences save for a few occasions. In such occasions there is nothing that is demanding me, as a fellow player, to keep myself in that situation which I am not comfortable in. I also do not wish to remain in a team that has either harassed me or another in my group. So I leave, make my own lfg and wait at maximum for 10 minutes before it most likely fills and we go on our way to completing that content.

Warlock: i’m not sure I believe you on this(and I apologize for that) as every post to lfg I have started is never answered. but if this has been your experience i’m glad to hear it. if I left every group that was unsatisfactory on a social level I would never get any group content done.

Quozex.9430: Which leads me to talk about guilds and the up-coming group content. I have been in multiple guilds since launch, ~13. Many of which were small guilds roughly 9 or so people trying to start something big. A few of them succeeded, but I moved on to find other guilds as I personally did not mesh well. I have also encountered 2 guilds (to remain unnamed) that had demanding requirements to partake in activities. Such as the dreaded 100% rep. I personally made a friend in one such guild that required you be in WvW 100% of the time and I did stay in the guild for awhile. Eventually when it came down to being harassed for not dedicating my life to content I didn’t like, I left.

Warlock: you sound here like you think I haven’t tried to repeatedly test for friendlier people in friendlier guilds. the fact which I stated earlier in the thread is that I have. repeatedly. also you sound like you think I just bought the game. I did not I have been here sense launch. there is a point here that you make that has been my experience.
“Eventually when it came down to being harassed for not dedicating my life to content I didn’t like, I left.” that sounds like my experiences with at least 20 guilds sense launch.

Quozex.9430: I am now in a comfortable guild that has no requirements. A come and go, be nice to people and lets do stuff guild. We are 494 members strong with 120 on at peak times. All it took was some searching but it sounds as if you refuse to give people a chance when considering adding people to your guild or partaking in another guild.

Warlock: I am glad to hear that you found a home.

Quozex.9430: I am not at all attacking you in this post, I am simply restating what many others have tried to offer as constructive feedback on up coming content as well as my own opinions. I do hope that you find a way to interact and enjoy the game that so many others have found and enjoyed.

Warlock: I agree, which is the only reason I am responding.

Quozex.9430: As for a general comment to those who have posted in the thread, thank you. This has been the single most constructive and civil thread that shows no out-lash at specific posters. I am truly surprised that upon entering this threads second page it has remained constructive and insightful. It does show the truley helpful people that GW2 has for its community that make us so great and friendly. In the event that this thread does become somewhat hostile, I only see it as a reaction that the OP has refused to acknowledge many peoples opinion and to only restate the same thing in many of his responses.

Warlock: I have repeatedly stated that everyones opinion on this thread is of equal value. I am not however not going to comment on “ignoring peoples opinions” as this simply isn’t true. like i said everyones opinion is of equal value because it is just that an opinion.i have acknowledged each, i simply don’t share the perception that gw2 or any online game for that matter has a friendly community. this is from 20+ years of gaming online and represents thousands of negative interactions.

Quozex.9430: Do not over-use the word toxic as many people in today’s world use _tragic

Warlock: again i belive i am being misunderstood here. toxic=damaging to overall gaming or thread experience. something that is intentionaly inflammatory or derogatory is toxic i.e. it “poisons” the current thing being experience with a negative tone. Tragic= causing or characterized by extreme distress or sorrow. this is not what i am expressing when i say toxic.

Warlock: I am glad even though that is not being perceived that other players have had such a wonderful experience with the community. as stated previously I have on a regular basis retested the community water so to speak. each time it has resulted in tos social violations that i reported and nothing was done about. with the exception of a few people who had a ban placed on them for harassing me about my rl learning disorder. but that is neither here nor there. as i have said repeatedly this thread was about instancing raids through a similar system to the current pvp system. it has sense gotten massively side tracked because of a small side comment on my own experiences within that community. i group. i still group. when i have to. and i handle the groups now with silence. this has worked the best i can expect it to given the repeated end result. “insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.”
and yet i try the same thing, hoping for a different result. thank you for your time posting to this thread in a calm and civilized manner.

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Warlock: having my opinion being called absurd/ridiculous etc as happened in the first page of posts is insulting. everyone’s opinion is of equal value.

Because you said this :

“being kicked from a group because you are not the glass cannon meta should not happen and should count as a form of harrasment that is causing players to be excluded from content”

Which is ridiculous, there is nothing mean about that.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

“outliers, and social misfits” is a bit harsh here in context of OP post as the Op clearly laid out his issues.

Like the OP says and I agree with “is it so wrong to want to play the game content silently and in my own way that I enjoy?”

It’s not hurting anyone

You are hurting people if you’re a small group that feels that way and you’re asking for changes to be made that will affect the much larger group of people.

HoT is soloable, but not every event is. However, the OP doesn’t have the full experience, because he’s had neither adventures which are solo or the stories, which are very very likely to be solo.

He ran a beta that tested the event chains in a zone and from that he drew erroneous conclusions. Which is fair since that’s all he’s seen.

But saying the game needs to change for someone like you, when even more people are saying the open world is too easy does affect other people.

People are like us are the only getting hurt because the Dev’s are no longer being accommodating with H.O.T along with certain changes to core game since they are heavily focusing on guilds based on 10 or players. Since that’s what the Guild Hall is balanced around to max them out in 6 to 9 months.

Open world content isn’t the issue here as everyone just pretty much goes from event to event and so on their own without having to form a group to do said events. The issue comes when being forced to go big guild or go home is what putting players like us off for various reasons as the OP posted above.

If the “GW2 community is the friendliest community out there” as Anet touts then most likely OP, myself and others wouldn’t have an certain issue/s. Since its clearly isn’t the friendliest community out there hence we have some issue/s.

Forced to get a big guild? 10 people is not a big guild. This is the core of your argument. Forced to have what most people, including Anet, considers a reasonable number of people is not an issue.

You can say anything you want, but Anet has always tuned away from single person guilds. For example, if you’re alone in a guild and you do an event you get 2 influence. If you are with just one single guildie in an event, you get 20. Anet never encouraged single player guilds and those who make them are using a gap in the system to their advantage.

Anet never said they would support 1-2 people guilds, they didn’t design guild missions so that 2 people guilds can even do most of them, and now you’re saying something has changed. Nothing has changed. If anything, by letting 5 people get a guild Hall, Anet is making it easier for small guilds, because there are guild puzzles and challenges that would be very very hard for a five person guild to do.

Warlock.7136

Warlock: as I have stated the thread was supposed to be about revenant not having any setable utility skills and thus no build potential as they are all essentialy the same without out this, and the idea of raids using a pvp style join. click on raid you want, get qued for the raid.

Coulter: Because you said this :

“being kicked from a group because you are not the glass cannon meta should not happen and should count as a form of harrasment that is causing players to be excluded from content”

Warlock: incorrect. being forced to play zerk or being kicked from groups IS an issue. it is an issue that even anet acknowledged. “when any one build/rune is the only acceptable build/rune that is unacceptable” being kicked from a group for not having “the one acceptable rune/build” is a problem. my suggestion was to use the pvp join style to bypass people being able to kick based on build/rune. another suggestion I had was that this become a reportable offense. this also would solve anet’s acknowledged “zerker only” problem. being told that a suggestion for solving something that they acknowledge as a problem is ridiculous is in fact rude. your opinion matters. my opinion matters. neither is “ridiculous” you keep bringing this up and it keeps getting addressed and yet for some reason your not considered to be trolling this thread. here is an idea. lets stop talking about the community as it is a covo that is going no where slowly. and talk about the thread topics of the revenant having no utility skills and weither an instanced raiding system would be useful.

(edited by Warlock.7136)

Posted by: Bellatrixa.3546

Bellatrixa.3546

i have acknowledged each, i simply don’t share the perception that gw2 or any online game for that matter has a friendly community. this is from 20+ years of gaming online and represents thousands of negative interactions.

“insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.”

So if you know that online games are hostile and unfriendly, why do you continue to make your stress problems worse by playing them? If you know something’s bad for you, the logical thing to do is to avoid it and find something to replace it. There are loads of multiplayer games out there that you and your wife could play together. There’s no shame in walking away from something that you once enjoyed but can no longer tolerate for whatever reason. I just can’t get my head around what it is you want to change, other than the entirety of the game and community to suit your personal levels of tolerance. Plenty of people here have said that they have had experiences that aren’t like yours and that it’s not as bad as it all seems to you. That there are decent people out there, decent guilds out there, heck even decent pugs out there.

Reading between the lines, it looks as if you don’t have great coping mechanisms when it comes to dealing with other people, no matter how objective they try to be. People saying your opinions are ‘absurd/ridiculous’ are simply saying what they feel about your opinions, not personally attacking you or saying your opinion is worthless. There is a difference which you seem unable to see and given you mentioned health issues, I’m going to be generous and attribute it to that. I have health issues of my own which mean I don’t deal with people as best as I could at times, a lot of people do. A lot of those people play online games because they struggle to deal with people in RL – went through a phase of that myself a couple of years ago. However, it was through all the ‘drama’ that went with my interactions that I stepped back and reflected on whether I was dealing with things the right way or if I could improve. As much as there’s this attitude of ‘I am who I am so accept me or gtfo’, personal development is a good thing and shows maturity – the ability to admit that you or how you acted was wrong along with the ability to change. Why do you think so many people hate politicians? :P

By identifying what others were having problems with, I realised that there were things I could try myself to get along better with others. This doesn’t mean descending to the level of calling someone a bigoted slur, but simply realising that if some people want to be kittenbags, it doesn’t mean everyone’s like that or that you have to acknowledge their behaviour. As people said from the start, report if it’s serious, block anyway. ANet give us the block function so we can do our own moderation of what we see so they can deal with serious transgressions. Such is the case in any game with a blacklist/block function. What can seem serious to you can seem trivial to others as it’s all about context and how a person reacts as an individual. The interactions you see in LA between people seemingly arguing/harassing each other… you don’t know the context. It could be people who know each other larking about, it could be that you have a higher standard of what’s ‘abusive’ in terms of dialogue. From reading your responses in this thread and seeing you call out people for being rude/harassing in their replies when this is one of the most civil threads despite the massive opportunity for people to seriously lay into you, I think that’s why ANet are doing ‘nothing’ about some of your reports. As much as different people respond to things differently, the ToS/UA/EULA/whatever it’s called now has to be a standard set of rules as otherwise GMing would be a bloody nightmare trying to cater for the multitude of levels of tolerance of thousands and thousands of players. It might mean that some things get said that action won’t be taken over that hurt you. The solution is to block that person so you no longer have to interact with them and moving on. Move on through ranting to your wife, go for a walk, start a personal blog to vent all your frustrations in… but you need to move on.

I don’t think I or anyone else here can really help you unless you’re willing to listen to criticism (as much as you don’t like it), actually reflect on your own actions, work out how you got to this point and how it can change. There’s been plenty of suggestions here (and outright offers of help!) which you don’t seem to be taking on board. Other people are offering their opinions of why they disagree with what you think is ‘wrong’ with HoT and how you could make your own experience more enjoyable. That’s why the thread’s deviating from its intention.

Finally, saying a thread is closed doesn’t close a thread. A moderator closing the thread closes a thread. You are not a moderator therefore you don’t have the power to tell people if they can post or not. If you wish the thread to be closed, I suggest you use the report button and give your reasons for wanting the thread closed. Otherwise, it’s fair game. That’s coming from 15 years of using/modding internet forums and is standard ops everywhere.

Best of luck OP, I really hope you find the peace you’re looking for.

P.S. I for one am greatly looking forward to more group content to do with my guild and I’m happy that HoT will be supplying us with that. I’ve met some truly amazing people in this franchise in the last 5 years and hope to meet many more as well as seeing my guild expand further. As long as I can get raids on a different night to missions seeing as an EU running with a NA guild means I have to stay up until ungodly hours. But I choose to do so because of the people.

“Even if we find a way to save the world from the
dragons, I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever find a way to save us from ourselves.”

(edited by Bellatrixa.3546)

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Warlock: as I have stated the thread was supposed to be about revenant not having any setable utility skills and thus no build potential as they are all essentialy the same without out this, and the idea of raids using a pvp style join. click on raid you want, get qued for the raid.

Coulter: Because you said this :

Warlock: incorrect. being forced to play zerk or being kicked from groups IS an issue. it is an issue that even anet acknowledged. “when any one build/rune is the only acceptable build/rune that is unacceptable” being kicked from a group for not having “the one acceptable rune/build” is a problem. my suggestion was to use the pvp join style to bypass people being able to kick based on build/rune. another suggestion I had was that this become a reportable offense. this also would solve anet’s acknowledged “zerker only” problem. being told that a suggestion for solving something that they acknowledge as a problem is ridiculous is in fact rude. your opinion matters. my opinion matters. neither is “ridiculous” you keep bringing this up and it keeps getting addressed and yet for some reason your not considered to be trolling this thread. here is an idea. lets stop talking about the community as it is a covo that is going no where slowly. and talk about the thread topics of the revenant having no utility skills and weither an instanced raiding system would be useful.

So people forcing you to play the build they want is bad, but forcing people to play with you is ok?

I’m not a fan of excluding people. I never ask for anything in a LFG except to be 80 and sometime to be experienced when I don’t bring a newby from my guilde. Bring whatever build you want and I’ll play whatever build I want. But that doesn’t mean that people don’t have the right to play with like minded people. Meta zerker players also paid for the game just like you and they can have fun with it the way they want.

Now, we can argue that the game have some problem, like the fact that only a small portion of the gear is view as good, that the LFG could do a better job with requirement, that the person that start the party should be the party leader and not be kicked, that people can be scrub and don’t read the description on both sides, etc

But to force people to play with whoever is not a solution, it just create problem.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: ebslike.1852

ebslike.1852

@Warlock: you expect people you are playing with to conform to your rules/wants? That is they should not be allowed to play meta/zerker because you don’t want to. This is like a 5 year old on the playground going up to a bunch of kids playing hide and seek and demanding they play tag and then when the other kids don’t listen the parents are dragged in because they have to force the other kids to tag. Don’t you see how backwards this is?

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

No we dont want the party dictators back please noone should be unkickable. (unless they get a clear cut other section of lfg so noone join them by accident)

The all welcome groups or chilled runs are none meta partys.

Only been kicked from those if I dont answer a direct question to me or being afk without saying.
And I have likewise kicked players for doing the same.

Last I can remember was a lvl 41 thief in ac p3 while being down or dead on every boss then asking -do you know the last boss fight name.
Repeating it once and saying no answer and we kick and take another guy.

He was still silent so he got kicked.

Edit
I dont join groups stating only p1 etc or 80 anymore since I been kicked from them for not being zerker. ( its kitten irritating how lazy some people can be in their lfg )

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

I solo most of what I can, but (sigh) this has been said every which way it can. This is an MMO, there are plenty of other games that are designed to fit your solo tastes. By making content stiff enough that you have to group into party it builds upon the social aspect that is the spine of all MMOs. A game like this is only as strong as its players, and if the population is running around by themselves the game will suffer for it.

Super Adventure Box is just there, when it dropped, you either entered or did not. Sometimes retro IS cutting edge.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Random.4691

Why do you all continue to argue with him ? I think it’s a safe assessment to say it’s pointless. He came here to “ask for opinions” and has received many. He chooses to ignore them and continue searching for one that will agree with him. It’s simply not going to happen, he is far to delusional to see the truth. I have no doubt this will be marked down as an insult when everything he is doing/saying is the very definition of delusional.

Just let him figure out his own solution because he doesn’t want our help, he is just looking for someone to support his preposterous idea of how the game should be.

(edited by Random.4691)

Warlock.7136

I am still responding because I would still like a dialog on instanced raids and the revenant class. I have repeatedly tried to drop the subject of gw2 community. I have acknowledged that my view may not be shared and I would indeed like to move past the gw2 group/community topic. this was never intended to be what this thread was about.

would anyone like to discuss these two things and not the community/grouping subject?

Posted by: blackdeth.3956

blackdeth.3956

I joined a group when I first started doing the paths….it said zerk meta and I didn’t know what that meant, so I was told and kicked.

So I made a group myself and advertised “All welcome”. Guess what happened?

Nothing, a bunch of randoms joined and we did the dungeon.

I don’t undertand how someone on a computer game can “Force” you to do anything. If you join someone elses group you play by their rules, it’s not harassment to get kicked if you refuse to comply with the the rules the group leader set.

If you join a group you didn’t know expected zerk meta? “Sorry guys, joined group by mistake!”

Anyway you keep bringing up “wife”. I suspect that is why you run just the two of you. I have met husband/wife duo’s a lot in my gaming career. Usually they don’t do well in guilds, the first time a member says anything to the wife the husband has a cow and drama is created. Usually husband/wife combos are kicked for being to dramatic.

Anyway, I wouldn’t group with you either. You seem far to serious and demanding, I prefer to just chill when I play and roll with whatever comes my way. Sometimes it’s solo play, other times duo with a friend. Sometimes fractals and whatever.

Don’t clench your kitten hole so tight and enjoy life.

Thaddeus.4891

No we dont want the party dictators back please noone should be unkickable. (unless they get a clear cut other section of lfg so noone join them by accident)

Well i don’t know. Me personnally, I don’t have problem with either ways. A unkickable party leader or not. I’m a decent player, with decent build so I never get kicked and anyway most of the time I play with 2-4 guildmates, creating my own LFG.

Still, I understand people screaming that they don’t want to play the meta, create a LFG and then some people join, not reading their description, hijacking their run and kicking them.

I think that making on unkickable party leader with a better system that we had before, would be the best option.

Posted by: AdaephonDelat.3890

AdaephonDelat.3890

I am still responding because I would still like a dialog on instanced raids and the revenant class.
would anyone like to discuss these two things and not the community/grouping subject?

Revenant – I enjoyed it. I have quick access to 2 heals, 6 utilities and 2 elites in combat. Something no other class has. I also have access to 10 weapon skills in combat (like all the others). By picking the weapons/legends suitable for the encounters i.e. the red boss at the start of the raid was vulnerable to condition damage so equipping mace/axe and Malyx allowed me quick easy access to condi damage whilst I could swap to Glint quickly to gain might/fury and share it with my team mates.

[BAD] a casual PvE guild on Aurora Glade.
http://bad-eu.guildlaunch.com
The Family Deuce. Asuran Adventure Specialists.

Random.4691

1) The Revenant – I’m sure many will agree it’s frustrating but as a poster has already said, it is the only class in the game that allows you to swap weapons and swap utilities so they had to balance it somehow. I personally really enjoyed the Rev, I do agree with you on the point that it would be nice if it had more utilities to swap but, it doesn’t and I’m willing to accept that they had a good reason for this.

2) Raids – You never asked anything about raids, you mentioned they need a Commander tag and then went on a rant about not enjoying/liking the idea of SAB, what exactly are you asking about raids ? That you would like them presented to you in a different way ? different from what, SAB ? They have presented Raids differently then they have in the past, they are 10 man difficult content.

(edited by Random.4691)

Shevek.2691

Well, the issue with wanting to drop the social aspect of the conversation, Warlock, is that it’s pertinent to one of your desired pieces of discussion: instanced raids.

Granted, raids are already “instanced”—what I’m guessing you’re asking for is flex raids akin to World of Warcraft? Go in with however many people you want (below the normal max) and have it scaled to accommodate?

See, I think that goes directly against what they want out of raids: to offer challenging endgame content for larger groups, to give the people who’re veterans of “old school” progression a place in the game. Could they add in something similar to flex? Sure, but I don’t see that happening until they’ve got a few raids under their belt. You’d also have to deal with restricted rewards (as a guess), but if that’s something you’re willing to deal with, then alright.

On Revenant? Bar none, my favorite class in the game. I love all the themes it has going for it, and I adore the legend swapping mechanic—I don’t mind that utilities are bound to them, making it “limited.” To me? It means I have to adapt better; I have to step up my game to compete and think outside the box when the going gets tough. It’s the old classic of “easy to play, hard to master.” Not to mention it cuts out the middle man of figuring out what abilities I want. Want some condition? Mallyx, go. Wanna be a walking boon fountain? Hey there, Glint.

(edited by Shevek.2691)

Warlock.7136

an unkickable group leader would be one way to go on fighting the zerk meta. it is indeed an idea I had not thought about. thank you for this. I am still unsure if when I say “instanced” I am using that term correctly. in dc universe when you want to join a multiplayer raid you que your character up and a team is put together for you. the advantage I see in this is that all builds are allowed an equal opportunity to participate in the game. I think that raids would benefit from this system in gw2. the coding for this system is already in the game. it is how pvp teams are assembled. using this system for both raids/dungeons could see some advantages. I had not thought of the idea of an unkickable leader. that would at least prevent the group hijacking that you expressed frustration in. good idea.

Shevek.2691

an unkickable group leader would be one way to go on fighting the zerk meta. it is indeed an idea I had not thought about. thank you for this. I am still unsure if when I say “instanced” I am using that term correctly. in dc universe when you want to join a multiplayer raid you que your character up and a team is put together for you. the advantage I see in this is that all builds are allowed an equal opportunity to participate in the game. I think that raids would benefit from this system in gw2. the coding for this system is already in the game. it is how pvp teams are assembled. using this system for both raids/dungeons could see some advantages. I had not thought of the idea of an unkickable leader. that would at least prevent the group hijacking that you expressed frustration in. good idea.

If that’s what you mean, then you’re effectively asking for LFR—Looking For Raid.

Random.4691

Raids from what we saw in beta will not be zerk meta, you require several different types of builds. One boss as an example can only be damaged by conditions.

Anet also stated that raid groups will require several different builds and the zerk meta will not work. As for if you will be able to bring whatever you like … that is to be determined, HoT has yet to be release so anything we say at this point is pure assumption.

A LFR or Looking for Raid system wouldn’t be a bad thing imo so long as they stuck to requiring 10 people and didn’t make it any easier. All it should be used for is to accommodate folks who may not be able to form a group of 10 people, I should say rather, to make it easier for people to form a pug group but then again I suppose they have the LFG system in place so there’s really no need for a LFR.

(edited by Random.4691)

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

1 – Revenants are a new profession. Their versatility is that their weapon AND their utility skills change. No other profession can do this. ANet had to balance this somehow.

He said customization, not versatility. And mathematically speaking he’s right, revenants literally have less than 1/10th the amount of choices for a build compared to any other class.

They need to add in 12 or so utility skills that you can swap in to your legends. Glyphs, spirits, and signets would probably be perfect. Glyphs will adapt to either each legend or each weapon, and spirits and signets will provide skills themed to the mists but no particular legend.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

The only thing I’m afraid of is with the introduction of raids the game becoming raid centric.

I have seen it before and so have you most likely. Raids get consumed fast, demand for new raids on forums, devs focus on churning out raids. This in turn pushes development of any other content aside and you only see other content released with an expansion. Sadly I could totally see the LF stuff become nothing but window dressing for the next raid wing and pvp, wvw and open world stuff only added too during a paid expansion.

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

Thaddeus.4891

About Revenants. Like Tregarde said, Revenants are the only profession that have two bar of utilities and Anet need to balance them so that they won’t be overpowered. That said, Conncept is also right that this limite the choice you have on a Revenant.

In the end, Revenant is a flawed system. Anet had a nice idea, but it doesn’t work that well. That said, it won’t stop the Revenant to be a good profession. Players will just have to live with a limited amount of choice when they build their Revenant and a very bad adaptability during content. Compare to another profession that change change one specific utility skill for a specific fight.

I still enjoy the kitten out of my Shiro/Herald in PvE

Thaddeus.4891

See that’s the reason why this conversation will have a hard time staying constructive. ‘’fighting the zerk meta’‘. There is no meta to fight. This sound like you are in a blind crusade to eliminate the meta. Just like you suggestion to make LFG random and to not allow people to put requirement. There is plenty of player and they all want to play differently. Your way of playing isn’t more pure or good than any other way other player would want to play the game. There is place for everybody and that include the meta. I enjoy the hell out of a good meta run, but I also love to do other stuff.

Why do you have to use those words ‘’fighting the zerk meta’‘. I don’t like the limited amount of choice in build diverstiy in PvE. I want to open the choice. I want condition to be on par with direct damage (not just specific burn build). I want content hard enough that a healer could be a good option, but I also want to be able to do the job with blind, aegis, reflect, and a group of kitten veteran players. I want to everybody to be able to create their LFG with their own requirement and that those requirement will be respected by people joining. I want everybody to play the way they want, accepting that some will be more efficient, but that not everybody will be able to be optimal.

I want less restriction, not more, but bias toward another way of playing just to kill the current meta.