Evil of HoT: Map resets.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: MrNumnut.2635

MrNumnut.2635

How is it possible that i can be nearly alone in Silverwastes, solo defending a fortress for over a hour without the map closing…

While in TD, doing META events with a squad of 20+ will get the map closed, removing my participation bonus, and my motivation?

Why are all HoT maps so poorly designed to close when there is less than 50 players? or what ever the amount is..

TD ALWAYS has people willing to do META, but you ruin this by kicking us out and again making us lose participation. (And we get zoned to a map that didn’t even start META, so we got to do the quests again, how can this be a more active map?!)

I’m now no longer interested in playing these maps because of your poor ’’volunteer’’ design, i had enough of it. (Volunteer? more like forced reset of participation)

I tried long enough, heck i even got 4k Ley Line Crystals of TD, but enough is enough…

Fix it, or lose the few players that are actually playing HoT!

Perhaps give us a note that the map is low on numbers and we should taxi people in, but stop bloody closing maps people been working on!

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

This is an issue that I believe must be fixed, by hook or by crook. Taxiing may be the workaround for everything that is wrong with the mega-server system, but if everyone on at a given time is trying to taxi into whichever map(s) the system considers viable, then someone is likely to get kittened. A system where that can happen is inevitably flawed.

Maybe just allowing participation to be owned by the zone name rather than the shard ID would solve most of the issues. As it is, some of the players who make a good faith effort to try to make a map work by active participation are getting kittened and those who sit back and abandon a zone are rewarded. There may not be a solution, but that seems bassackwards to me.

Posted by: gunslinger.6084

gunslinger.6084

I noticed this problem tonight, if they are going to force you out of a map, then your participation bonus needs to be carried over to the next shard.

MrNumnut.2635

I’m amazed they didn’t even adress this to the next patch notes.

I’m not the first to complain about this, and i’m not the first that will refrain of playing HoT due to it.

So why is this not being addressed, at all?

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Since map closing has been stupid since mega-servers came into existence one has to assume Anet don’t care how badly players are affected by it.

Posted by: nica.5829

nica.5829

Was trying to complete legendary collection in HoT maps yesterday and the maps kept closing. I would be half way to getting the event I needed, map closing pops up, everyone leaves. :|

MrNumnut.2635

Since map closing has been stupid since mega-servers came into existence one has to assume Anet don’t care how badly players are affected by it.

Seeing they ignore this topic, yet spend time to mess around on silly topics, or reddit.

I can only assume you’re right and Anet just slaps us in the face with this system.

MrNumnut.2635

And yet another question on reddit about changing crafting disciplines got answered by a developer…

But topics with real concerns that actually make people quit are getting ignored.

Priorities…

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Let some streamer cry about it and it will get fixed in few hours. Try posting on reddit, they don’t read this forum.

Posted by: ThFH.6048

ThFH.6048

I had this also happen on me, I was in Auric Basin and started the pre events when map closure was announced. Understandable that after the finish of a event cycle they want to consolidate the amount of maps and lower server capacity so I just pressed join after the event was finished on this instance. Getting well into the event chain in the new instance again map closure came up. My guildie said to me there was no way to stop closure not even taxing in people so I decide to go over to the new instance since this one was not the best for events. Well my new instance was even worse it was completly empty 45 minutes into the pre events the tier of the map was zero.

Posted by: rsimoes.3851

rsimoes.3851

For some reason sometimes if you ignore the map closure notice and don’t jump maps the map wont close.

Today i was in Auric Basin, 5m into the meta and the closure notice poped up, there was a solid 20ish 30ish people around me doing the meta chain, so we all mostly ignored it and kept going.

We went and finished the meta, then taxied people in for the Tarir meta and finished the whole thing.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

For some reason sometimes if you ignore the map closure notice and don’t jump maps the map wont close.

After seeing this behavior in the Wintersday JP, I suspect what happened is that the server tried to merge you into a map that capped, found that it couldn’t, and cancelled the map closure instead of moving down the list of populated maps.

MrNumnut.2635

Today i was in Auric Basin, 5m into the meta and the closure notice poped up, there was a solid 20ish 30ish people around me doing the meta chain, so we all mostly ignored it and kept going.

We went and finished the meta, then taxied people in for the Tarir meta and finished the whole thing.

It takes a hour before it will close itself and force kick everyone out, maybe you got lucky on time.

And still no word of Anet.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

It is something that has needed to be changed for a while.

I look forward to seeing it fixed a year or so from now when Arena Net notice a streamer they like raging about it.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

(edited by Aedelric.1287)

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

Let me clear this.

1. Map close because of few ppl left and you get notification for it —> Design
2. Map close with full of people recently get into, without getting any notification —> Bug??

Topic is about second.

On top of that, ethier way, losing participation is frustruating and discouraging.

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

Posted by: ThFH.6048

ThFH.6048

Let me clear this.

2. Map close with full of people recently get into, without getting any notification --> Bug??

Topic is about second.

On top of that, ethier way, losing participation is frustruating and discouraging.

I agree with rodhoc the concept of merging maps to keep the population/playability high is a good concept and I really like it.

However with the Heart of Thorns and how these maps work I think we should start a constructive disscussion about what could be better and how things could be changed.

MrNumnut.2635

Thanks Anet for showing you just don’t give a flying kitten.

I paid for a product i can’t enjoy because of your bad design…
Can fool me once…

Posted by: shaquinna.2869

shaquinna.2869

I’ve been avoiding HoT maps.

I’ve done some Verdant Brink and I really like the events, but I’m worried I’ll spend too much time in the other maps for nothing. Especially because you need to invest so much time.

I can make time for spending around 1,5 to 2 hours in a map, if I knew the maps were stable and I wouldn’t waste my time being kicked out of maps because of the megaserver and loose participation. I’ve heared too many ingame experiences from players ingame, on the forum and guildies to avoid these maps.

I’d love to hear news about this from Anet so I can go and look forward doing the Auric Basin, Tangled Depths, and Dragon’s Stand events. I haven’t even touched those maps yet…

Evanny
[EU] Piken Square
Representing: ‘The Only One’ [One]

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Let me clear this.

2. Map close with full of people recently get into, without getting any notification --> Bug??

Topic is about second.

Well, second is a consequence of first. When the notice pops up, it is irreversible. If the map will fill again later on, the notice will disappear, but the closure internal countdown is still running and the map will still close 1 hour after first notice. It is not a bug, it is how it is designed to be.
That design needs to be changed (participation loss on changing shards need to be addressed as well).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

I have to agree with the map mess issue, which is being discussed in this thread. I cannot remember when it happened (last week sometime I think), but I was involved in a meta group and somewhere a lane failed, so of course, the entire event failed (I believe this was a Gerent event).

Was so close to obtaining full participation % when the map closure pops up on my screen. Since I was under the impression this progression issue had already been dealt with (my error in believing this), I clicked to go to next map.

However, when I got to the next map, my percentage was gone. This is a total failure in my book.

Anet, you really need to fix this problem.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

And how do you know they aren’t trying to find a fix that will work but the fix isn’t as easy as you think it is?

What if they’ve found possible fixes but in their testing of it, it breaks other things or has unintended negative side effects?

And the have multiple teams of people. Everyone at ANet doesn’t focus on one thing. They can have a team reworking world bosses and a team working on trying to figure out the mega-server issue on HoT maps.

And by the way, the devs who would have your answers are not the moderators of this forum. There are rules on forums if your frustration causes you to break a rule, you should get infracted for it. Because there should be no exceptions to the rules. No one should get an exception to a rule because they’re posting what they feel is constructive criticism.

If you feel you were unjustly infracted, you can appeal the infraction and possibly get it overturned. But I would be polite yet firm in your appeal.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The Devs actually did acknowledge the issue; I can’t remember where, it could have been on a Guild Chat stream.

I suspect it’s more difficult to address and takes more time than players would like.