Expansion question

Expansion question

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Sickle.6502

Sickle.6502

I have a burning question for people who may know, or a Dev to answer if possible.

I would like to know what will be available to the players who only use the normal game, and not HoT.
So when HoT releases, and if someone doesn’t buy the expansion for whatever reason they may have, what will still be available to them? and will any of the new content be available?… such as Guild Halls and new WvW/PvP areas.

Reason I want to know is because, some of the newer members of my guild, may not buy the HoT expansion, and I plan to build up a guild hall… will they still be able to use the guild hall, if I make it in the HoT expansion?… Or will the Guild hall only be available to those who have the HoT?… the latter meaning that some members of the guild won’t be able to use thew guild halls.

Expansion question

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

What I understood was that people without HoT can enter guild halls but certain features of guild halls are unavailable.

The new WvW and PvP areas are also accessible for people without HoT.

The jungle areas, masteries, specializations, the Revenant and so on are HoT-only.

Expansion question

Sickle.6502

This was what I was to understand too, but some people have told me otherwise, so I would love to know exactly what to expect.

Expansion question

Posted by: x Charlie.4820

x Charlie.4820

I don’t think anything has been confirmed yet. Except to get revenant and masterys you DO need HoT.

Everything else is just speculation i think. If i’m wrong someone feel free to correct me with a source.

Chazwyne, Necromancer <3
Smallscale <3 Vabbi
The Original Dudes [to]

Expansion question

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

This was what I was to understand too, but some people have told me otherwise, so I would love to know exactly what to expect.

What is your question in detail? Maybe there are explicit quotes for your question. Otherwise: It is not offical, what exactly is in the HoT-Expansion and what is for free.

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

Expansion question

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

I think I remember an interview where they said that PvP and WvW changes would apply to everyone, so as to not separate the player base. Can’t find it right now, but it would make sense since the borderlands map will replace the one we currently have, so would anybody without HoT really be excluded from an entire game mode? I don’t think so.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Expansion question

x Charlie.4820

I think I remember an interview where they said that PvP and WvW changes would apply to everyone, so as to not separate the player base. Can’t find it right now, but it would make sense since the borderlands map will replace the one we currently have, so would anybody without HoT really be excluded from an entire game mode? I don’t think so.

If they did this the people who didn’t have HoT could still use EB so they can still play WvW.

It would be a marketing tactic, A dirty one that would anger many players due to large queues on eb, But a marketing tactic nonetheless.

Chazwyne, Necromancer <3
Smallscale <3 Vabbi
The Original Dudes [to]

Expansion question

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

How anyone would think “let’s make it so that anyone who doesn’t buy HoT can only play on EB – that’ll make people super-happy and make them ALL buy HoT!” is beyond me. That would be terrible marketing.
If the new borderlands are cool and fun to play, it might serve as an incentive for players to buy HoT who didn’t previously mean to do it, or weren’t sure. That’d be a far better strategy – make people go “hey, this new map is pretty great, I wonder if the HoT content is just as good, maybe I should buy it…” rather than “what the hell, I have to wait an hour to play WvW all the time now? Bite me, I’m out of this game!”.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Expansion question

x Charlie.4820

How anyone would think “let’s make it so that anyone who doesn’t buy HoT can only play on EB – that’ll make people super-happy and make them ALL buy HoT!” is beyond me. That would be terrible marketing.

Money > peoples feelings.

Anet are a company, As i said it’s not the best marketing tactic and i highly doubt they would do it. It is a marketing tactic nonetheless though.

Personally i only play spvp and wvw and couldn’t care less about pve, I’ll still be buying the expansion regardless though but i can see how other people with the same playstyle as me wouldn’t bother if they got them for free. Esp ones with limited playtime and/or money.

Chazwyne, Necromancer <3
Smallscale <3 Vabbi
The Original Dudes [to]

Expansion question

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Anet are a company, As i said it’s not the best marketing tactic and i highly doubt they would do it. It is a marketing tactic nonetheless though.

You make a common mistake by forgetting that customer satisfaction is part of the equation. Doing a disservice to your customers = losing potential money, so they can’t just go waltzing around making decisions solely on projected profits.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

(edited by Andred.1087)

Expansion question

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

You make a common mistake by forgetting that customer satisfaction is part of the equation. Doing a disservice to your customers = losing potential money, so they can’t just go waltzing around making decisions solely on projected profits.

I agree with the point you are making but.. wouldn’t projected profits include projections for customer retention and customer spending?

Expansion question

Sickle.6502

My humble opinion is that people will only spend money, if they are happy to do so… so whilst yes, Arena-net ARE a big company and do want/need money to run, they also have to cater towards peoples feelings to GET that money first hand and deliver what they want, otherwise there is no willingness to pay out for something they don’t want.

People in general, will only pay out for something they like and enjoy, and are less likely to shell out for something which they don’t.

I believe Arena-net know this to be true also, and will cater towards this fact.

Expansion question

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I recall a dev explicitly stating that the new WvW and sPvP would be available even to HoTless players. I think it was in a video interview during PAX or REZZED. As someone unlikely to more than dip my toe in either, I took brief mental “that makes sense” note of it and didn’t bother trumpeting it to all and sundry, nor did I pay attention to which dev in which media. Anyway, they’ve said it will be, so no need to fret and make arguments why they should make it happen.

As to Guild Halls they have been very close-lipped. Colin’s full of glee as to how cool it will all be, though he kept saying the Angry Army (Angry Joe’s followers) would like it. They are likely a large guild.

I expect everyone in my small guild will buy HoT, so my questions revolve more around what a small guild can manage and where we should focus our efforts in preparation. Sadly they’re only giving us one blog a week right now, if that, so next Thursday is probably our next chance to get information.

Expansion question

Posted by: Wwefan.4982

Wwefan.4982

Emm Guild halls will probably be unavailable for people without HoT as these will only be in the new maps and none of the current maps.

Sylvari mean

Expansion question

Donari.5237

Except there likely will be a way to waypoint to the guild hall. They are unlikely to make low level alts who are in the guild wait until 80+exploration to enter the hall. The hall itself will be instanced, and thus not require setting foot in the HoT zone, as it were.

I really hope we get guild info next week, and then they can start in on specializations if they really want to make me happy

Expansion question

Sickle.6502

Emm Guild halls will probably be unavailable for people without HoT as these will only be in the new maps and none of the current maps.

I disagree with this entirely.

Expansion question

Posted by: Wwefan.4982

Wwefan.4982

I disagree with this entirely.

Well they aren’t going to be able to get into the new maps to get to their guild halls and by the sound of it the new WvW and PvP maps will be the only things available to people without the expansion well depending on how testing goes they may change that.

Sylvari mean

Expansion question

Donari.5237

But they don’t have to get into the map to enter the guild hall if the guild hall is a separate instance reachable via the guild panel from anywhere in the world. Once we get the guild hall blog we’ll have a better idea of who will have how much access.

I join in Sickle’s disagreement.