Expansion too reliant on strangers

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Dengar.1785

Dengar.1785

I don’t like it when a multiplayer game makes me play with other people.

Posted by: Malthurius.6870

Malthurius.6870

You’re complaining about playing with strangers in an MMO…

I can’t even contain the amount of facepalm I have.

There was a time where you didn’t know how an event worked either; these events will be smoother as time goes on and people become more familiar with them. You claiming they won’t listen and waving them off like they’re inferior doesn’t improve anyone’s experience and helps no one.

Posted by: Roxanne.6140

Roxanne.6140

I totally understand your point as I’ve been playing DS maps alot for the past few days. On the bright side, we can only hope that things will only improve as more players know what to do. My success rate has been increasing for the last few rounds. That aside, it is extremely easy for people to troll the event

gaem not made for mi
===========

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Strangers are friends you haven’t introduced yourself too, yet. Meet some and learn that the incompetence was your unwillingness to do so.

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I’m not complaining about playing with strangers, I’m complaining about the lack of payout for the effort put into participating in the events. It’s a matter of mutual respect and doing all that you can to help the group succeed. A lot, not all, but a lot of players choose to neither listen nor try to understand how trying certain events can be. It’s about at least being reflexive enough to learn by watching others or asking for help. I would never have complained about this if I hadn’t seen this very thing happen over and over again. It’s not an issue with being forced to play with strangers, but rather how punishing it is for those of us who get snubbed on rewards because of others.

I think I understand better. My own experience suggests that people are just waiting for good leaders, and what may be needed is just more of that.

When I went from “I play by myself” mode to “Fine, I’ll join a guild to kill Tequatl” my experience with successful events grew exponentially, to the point where I am comfortable throwing myself into a pug Teq map and leading them all to victory.

It’s not an easy first step to find that guild, but it is critical to having regular successes in the map metas.

Now, that said…

I like that it is possible to explore the maps without regard for the meta events, but perhaps that’s what makes them more difficult? Not everyone is there for the same reason.

Which brings me back to the same experiential conclusion: when players discover that there is a well organized attempt being made on the meta event, they are more likely to jump in where they can.

.. and the benefit is that having people around, helping you kill monsters, makes the content a lot easier to play.

As for failure of the meta. I watch my son play Geometry Dash — 1,000 attempts to win a level? We know nothing of persisting through failure.

Posted by: MarshMellow.8560

MarshMellow.8560

You’re seeing this the wrong way. My experience: show up to a hero point. Advertise in map chat or wait for someone. Chat with whoever shows up. Do a few more challenges. Add each other to friends list. HoT pushes you to turn strangers into friends or even just fun social encounters.

Posted by: Drox.4562

Drox.4562

Join a guild that does groups together. Then you don’t have to deal with random people much.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Obvious OP is obvious.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Chemie.7804

Chemie.7804

Why are people complaining about this? this game is an extreamly social game. weather it be having to explain fights for people who dont know it, communicateing for map meta events, and so on. HoT is just another way for Anet to bring the community together to work together to succeed. and not everything is soloable and given how each hero point in HoT gives 10 points it is totally understandable that you may need 1 or 2 more people to take down a champ to get your points. this game is all about relying on other people even in core tyria with world boss fights, certain map meta events, wvw, pvp, dungeons. it all relys on having other people with you and communicating. nobody just happened to know the dungeons right off the bat. back when the game first launched the dungeons were actually hard and you had to work together because nobody knew them.