Explain the logic of multimap?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

I don’t mean to support multimapping AB or supporting exploits or anything like that. I just wanted to criticize the procedure for these squads and highlight the source of the toxicity this behavior creates.

So maybe I’m wrong (so correct me please) but I gather that in a multimap squad you have group 1 be the “lobby” and all the other groups are the different maps? And I’m supposed to go to the lobby before switching maps, then go to the group of that map while I’m there? So like this:

• Group1 —- Lobby
  • Group2 —- Map1
  • Group3 —- Map2
  • Group4 —- Map3
  • Group5 —- Map4

So if I start on map 3 I’m supposed to put myself in group 4. When I’m done there, I move to group 1, and then I join someone in group 2 to get to map 1. Once I’m done loading into map 1, I switch from group 1 to group 2…..

Question: Why don’t we get rid of the stupid lobby and just join the group of the map you want to be on? That way group 1 would be map 1, group 2 map 2, group 3 map 3, etc. All the numbers would match up and it would remove a pointless step in this convoluted process.

• Group 1 —- Map 1
  • Group 2 —- Map 2
  • Group 3 —- Map 3
  • Group 4 —- Map 4
  • Group 5 —- Map 5

And then uppity commanders with anal fixations and short tempers wouldn’t have to sit there kicking dozens of people for “camping the lobby” or forgetting to switch groups TWICE for each map swap. No more would we have to punish people for the AUDACITY of taking SLIGHTLY too long in loading screens.

TL;DR – The concept of the lobby is stupid. That’s just my opinion.

Posted by: Roquen.5406

Roquen.5406

It’s there so that you keep consistency with the map. Here’s an example…

Player 1 is in group 3.
Player 2 is in group 4.
Player 3 wants to join group 3’s map.

Player 1 stays in group 3 but joins group 4’s map. Player 3 doesn’t know this but they want to join 3 so they use player 1 to join group 3’s map because they are in group 3. However, player 1 has already moved to another map without moving group. So now player 3 is actually in group 4’s map.

Now do this wide-scale and you have maps closing on themselves, people joining the wrong maps…etc.

So it’s there to keep order and help the multi-map function properly.

Posted by: Enko.6123

Enko.6123

Its because new people who join the squad go to squad 1 first which is why it has turned into a lobby of sorts for multi mapping AB. If people just joined, others may try to join on them and end up on the wrong map. It’s more of a place to people to sort themselves out to where they’re supposed to go.

If you don’t have a lobby, while you’re swapping maps, you’ll be in the wrong map for a little bit as you either sat in your current squad, changed maps, then changed squads, or you changed squads then swapped maps. Either way, someone who may be trying to get into the squad’s map may join on you when you’re on the wrong map and end up in the wrong place.

Xenon.4537

I suppose that makes sense, but I’ve been kicked from squad for spending 9 seconds in the lobby which was the amount of time I needed to drag my icon from one group to another and sit in the loading screen… This system is flawed because people are way too up-tight and trigger-happy. I’ll be glad to see it nerfed if only to spite these freakazoid commanders…

Posted by: Roquen.5406

Roquen.5406

So you want everyone else to suffer because some people are tools? And I highly doubt you were only in the lobby for 9 seconds. Commanders whisper you and see if you are there then they give you a heads up then they boot you…

And even if one or two did…then those are one or two bad apple…

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Once I’m done loading into map 1, I switch from group 1 to group 2

Wait, what? You’re not supposed to “load into” map 1 (lobby). You just drag yourself to lobby to switch to an other map (2+) so people don’t join the wrong map.

Example: If you are in group 2 and instantly jump to group 3 without dragging yourself to lobby, then someone who wants to go to 2 will end up in 3 because of you.

Posted by: trub.1657

trub.1657

I ain’t happy, I’m feeling glad, I got anchorcake inna bag…
:)
Just follow your commanders instructions, you’ll be fine.
If you need to step away while in a lobby, tell your commander first.
(It is still co operative play yanno)

I have Splinter Barrage- I am a Ritualist.
I have a pet- I am a Ranger.
I have Avatar of Balthazar- I am a Dervish.

(edited by trub.1657)

Xenon.4537

Wait, what? You’re not supposed to “load into” map 1 (lobby). You just drag yourself to lobby to switch to an other map (2+) so people don’t join the wrong map.

Example: If you are in group 2 and instantly jump to group 3 without dragging yourself to lobby, then someone who wants to go to 2 will end up in 3 because of you.

I meant that group 1 isn’t really a map group… it’s the lobby right? So that must mean group 2 is map 1? I think you just illustrated my point that the lobby system is a little confusing.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

So you want everyone else to suffer because some people are tools? And I highly doubt you were only in the lobby for 9 seconds. Commanders whisper you and see if you are there then they give you a heads up then they boot you…

And even if one or two did…then those are one or two bad apple…

I have seen a lot of those. I have also seen commanders that will kick you out if you won’t find a new ip instance within 10 seconds of joining (new, because other, already existing subgroups get filled in and locked within seconds of appearing). That’s in the event phase, of course, not during the actual multiloot.

This is a tangential argument however. To answer OP, lobby is definitely needed, because it gets confusing without it (as you wouldn’t know what map the person you’re jumping to is really on).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: GreyMouser.1235

GreyMouser.1235

I meant that group 1 isn’t really a map group… it’s the lobby right? So that must mean group 2 is map 1? I think you just illustrated my point that the lobby system is a little confusing.

“Map 2” is not referred to as “Map 1,” it’s referred to as “Map 2.” All the map names correspond to the group number.

It’s really quite simple. The process is:
1) Load into map (let’s use #2 as an example).
2) Loot map.
3) Drag icon to lobby (group 1- it’s holding lots of maps, so don’t join on people here). This prevents someone from joining on you, expecting to get into Map 2, and instead going to whatever map you’re about to load into.
4) Join on a character in the next map you want to load into (low-population maps first, please!) Let’s say #4.
5) Drag your icon into your new map group, in this case, #4, so when people want to load into that map, they can use you and go to the expected map.

The lobby is the easiest way to manage things and prevent people from loading into maps they didn’t intend to, as well as (mentioned before) it being the group you always join into when you join a squad, again, so people don’t join on you and go to the wrong map.

[SOF]
Servants of Fortuna
Yak’s Bend

(edited by GreyMouser.1235)