Extra account

Extra account

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: blackoil.2673

blackoil.2673

I’m sure this has been asked before, but I can’t find it back.

If I pre-purchase HoT, can I get my account upgraded and a “core game” account?
I’m sure I’ve read that no, we don’t get that extra account. However, taken from the pre-purchase page:

A game serial code for account creation or upgrade for the GW2: HoT expansion and the award-winning Guild Wars 2 core game

Attachments:

Extra account

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

No, when you buy HoT you are buying the expansion. The core game is included free with the expansion for new customers/accounts. If you upgrade your current account you will not get a second core game account.

The Burninator

Extra account

blackoil.2673

Now, I’d like an official source :/
The screenshot provided comes from an original source (buy.guildwars2.com)

Extra account

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I think it’s quite clear:

A game serial code for account creation or upgrade for the GW2: HoT expansion and the award-winning Guild Wars 2 core game

You get one code that can be used to create a new account or to upgrade an existing one.

Extra account

Posted by: dsslive.8473

dsslive.8473

You either upgrade you current account or make a new one entirely with hot on it. You can’t make a new account of the core game while upgrading your old account.

Extra account

blackoil.2673

You get one code that can be used to create a new account or to upgrade an existing one.

Lemme just put in bold just a bit more:

It seems like it says that it includes the GW2 HoT and GW2 core game

Extra account

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

“A game serial code for account creation OR upgrade for the GW2: HoT expansion and the award-winning Guild Wars 2 core game”

It’s an either/or. Either you make a new account which has the HoT expansion (and your old account will remain in its original form) OR you upgrade your old account to give it the HoT (and you won’t also get a new, separate account).

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Extra account

Posted by: Sae.8453

Sae.8453

“A game serial code for account creation OR upgrade for the GW2: HoT expansion and the award-winning Guild Wars 2 core game”

It’s an either/or. Either you make a new account which has the HoT expansion (and your old account will remain in its original form) OR you upgrade your old account to give it the HoT (and you won’t also get a new, separate account).

This. I can see how it can be confusing though- could be worded much better.

Extra account

Posted by: Brown Fang Thump.9482

Brown Fang Thump.9482

I created a new account, on a new email address, with my HoT purchase.

Up side: extra daily rewards and 5 extra toon slots for 50 USD.

Down side: no HoT pre-purchase title on my main account (don’t care) and no playing HoT with my original toons (still don’t care)

I get to play HoT regardless and Anet gets to spend my money like they want to: win/win.

Since I had the gems already, I did “buy” an extra toon slot for my original account because I anticipate eventually being able to buy HoT for my original account with gems some time in the future.

Your mileage may vary. Do what’s fun for ya

Extra account

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Down side: no HoT pre-purchase title on my main account (don’t care) and no playing HoT with my original toons (still don’t care)

I get to play HoT regardless and Anet gets to spend my money like they want to: win/win.

Since I had the gems already, I did “buy” an extra toon slot for my original account because I anticipate eventually being able to buy HoT for my original account with gems some time in the future.

See this wouldn’t have worked for me. My account bound magic find, for example, is up to well over 200%. That’s something I’ve gotten up there. I start with a new account, I’m starting all over.

I’ve already done the work to level all my crafting professions to 500, so I could craft ascended weapons and even armor for my characters, if I so choose. I wouldn’t look forward to doing that again.

I have a lot of achievement points which unlocked a lot of skins, which I wouldn’t look forward to doing again.

I have six legendary weapons, which I can use on any of my characters. Starting a new account might work for some people, but there are reasons not to do it as well.

Extra account

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Now, I’d like an official source :/

If you’re having trouble finding it on the forums, what makes you think people replying to you will have an easier time? It’s not like we keep links of every official response handy for indefinite periods of time, just waiting to pounce on the first person to ask with citations and links.

You don’t get an extra account. ANet said there won’t be an extra account and it has been confirmed by every single person who already prepurchased that there is no extra account.

[…]because I anticipate eventually being able to buy HoT for my original account with gems some time in the future.

Don’t hold your breath, because that’s never going to happen. HoT is the new “core”, ANet isn’t going to let you buy additional copies of the game with gems.

(edited by Pandaman.4758)

Extra account

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Glad that worked for you.

My main account though has the Hall Of Monument titles, skins, mini pets and ranger pets. It also has all the titles, skins, crafting, achieves, ascended weapons, trinkets and armor, mini pets, dyes, magic find, gemstore outfits, copper fed salvage, permanent bank access and what ever else I’ve accumulate over the last 3 years. To leave that all behind for the sake of 5 more character slots is like leaving your comfortable, well furnished home for a house with no furniture, just the blank walls and flooring.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Extra account

Posted by: WSG Delen.9203

WSG Delen.9203

This has been discussed quite heavily here.

The long and the short of it though is that if you have an existing account, pre-purchase HoT, and then register it to that account you should receive either an extra character slot or refund for your original purchase of GW2 depending on the circumstances (I believe the refund applies to direct sales since 23rd January 2015).

(edited by WSG Delen.9203)

Extra account

Posted by: Kecal.3964

Kecal.3964

Actually you can no longer get the refund for accounts bought since 23ed January that had a deadline of 31st July. You can still get the extra character slot for pre-announcment account.

Extra account

Posted by: WSG Delen.9203

WSG Delen.9203

Actually you can no longer get the refund for accounts bought since 23ed January that had a deadline of 31st July. You can still get the extra character slot for pre-announcment account.

Thanks for the clarification, I had forgotten about that.

Extra account

Pifil.5193

Lemme just put in bold just a bit more:

It seems like it says that it includes the GW2 HoT and GW2 core game

Well, if you ignore the OR there I can see how you’d get confused. All the words are important.

Their use of “A game serial code” should make it obvious that don’t get two separate serial codes. Similarly their use of OR should make it obvious you can either create a new account which will have both the base game and HoT OR upgrade an existing account to HoT.

Anyway, lots of people have already pre-purchased the expansion and there was only one key.

Extra account

blackoil.2673

Well, if you ignore the OR there I can see how you’d get confused. All the words are important.

Their use of “A game serial code” should make it obvious that don’t get two separate serial codes. Similarly their use of OR should make it obvious you can either create a new account which will have both the base game and HoT OR upgrade an existing account to HoT.

Anyway, lots of people have already pre-purchased the expansion and there was only one key.

Yup, now i’m sure we don’t get an extra account…. I still have to rethink if I should or not buy the expansion then ;p

However, let’s analyze their text. The thing that really gets to their balance is that “A game serial code”, but even that “or” and “and” mess that up:

(A serial code for account creation or upgrade for HoT) and (the award-winning GW2 core game)
- Then I choose the serial code for account upgrade (and i get the core game as well)

If you put the parenthesis the other way… it’s still wrong
(A serial code for account creation) or (upgrade for HoT and the award-winning GW2 core game)
- Then I choose the upgrade for HoT and the core game.

Maybe I can buy it and ask them to give me as well the core game, because their purchase page it says it includes both? =D
I’m just not taking that risk

Extra account

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

Yup, now i’m sure we don’t get an extra account…. I still have to rethink if I should or not buy the expansion then ;p

However, let’s analyze their text. The thing that really gets to their balance is that “A game serial code”, but even that “or” and “and” mess that up:

(A serial code for account creation or upgrade for HoT) and (the award-winning GW2 core game)
- Then I choose the serial code for account upgrade (and i get the core game as well)

(A serial code for account creation) or (upgrade for HoT and the award-winning GW2 core game)
- Then I chose the upgrade for HoT and the core game.

Maybe I can buy it and ask them to give me as well the core game, because their purchase page it says it includes both? =D

There’s a third way to read it, which is:

Since they are packaging HoT and the core game together (and will do this for all subsequent expansions as well), HoT is GW2. In that regard, it is still the award-winning core game but as the expansion.

So no, you don’t get a core game serial code for upgrading to HoT and it isn’t implied anywhere that you should. If you have an issue with the price as a whole, that’s a different issue, but they are not handing out free core games.

Extra account

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Geee… no, you don’t get a free GW2 core, it either upgrades your already owned core game, or comes as the whole package.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Extra account

blackoil.2673

If you have an issue with the price as a whole, that’s a different issue, but they are not handing out free core games.

Wrong!
From Regina Buenaobra:

To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.

My point is really valid. Although I know it’s a mistake from their part, because it leads to misinterpretation.

Now don’t go to “the free bonus is only for new players”. They say they include the core game as a free bonus, and I really don’t care the reason. They just do

(edited by blackoil.2673)

Extra account

dsslive.8473

If you have an issue with the price as a whole, that’s a different issue, but they are not handing out free core games.

Wrong!
From Regina Buenaobra:

To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.

My point is really valid. Although I know it’s a mistake from their part, because it leads to misinterpretation.

Now don’t go to “the free bonus is only for new players”. They say they include the core game as a free bonus, and I really don’t care the reason. They just do

The quote from Regina says “make it easier for new people to get into it” this part is quite important to the sentence.

Extra account

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Wrong!
From Regina Buenaobra:

Yes and your free to start fresh as a new player on your new account that give you the main game and expansion in 1 serial code. Just let your old account collect dust and daily logins.

Extra account

blackoil.2673

The quote from Regina says “make it easier for new people to get into it” this part is quite important to the sentence.

Again, it’s really not important, because it’s explaining the reason they put the free bonus GW2 core game. Again:

“We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.”

It would be important if it were something like:

“We included the core game as a free bonus for new players to make it easier to get into it.”

As this “for new players” goes with “we included the core game”, meaning that the core game is only for new players. Then again, the “to make it…” it’s not important, because it’s also explaining the reason.

There’s a huge difference. In the way they said it, they included the core game for everyone, and the reason they did this is to make it easier for new players. This “for new players” goes to “to make it easier”.

My point is still valid. I’m considering now buying HoT and suing them "giggle*

not really ;P

Extra account

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

How would the game be easier to get into for an existing player? It’s clearly meant for new players specifically. You need to focus on the intent of her message rather than pick it apart and argue what it means out of context.

If you must have the core game, apply it to a new account like new players would. You’ll start from the beginning just like they would.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Extra account

blackoil.2673

You are not getting my point.
They made it to make it easy for new players. But they made it for everyone.

Kinda repeating the same sentence…. Can’t you spot the difference between:
“Do something for someone to reason”
And
“Do something to reason” (where reason is for someone in particular, but only the reason, not the something. But that something is something done, for everyone)
?

“I’m donating food to kids in africa because they are hungry”
Here it’s clear that i’m giving food to kids in africa

“I’m donating food, because kids in africa are hungry”
Here is not that clear. Maybe I’m donating food to an ONG that distributes this food between Africa, Middle-east, etc?

(edited by blackoil.2673)

Extra account

dsslive.8473

You are not getting my point.
They made it to make it easy for new players. But they made it for everyone.

Kinda repeating the same sentence…. Can’t you spot the difference between:
“Do something for someone to reason”
And
“Do something to reason” (where reason is for someone in particular, but only the reason, not the something. But that something is something done, for everyone)
?

“I’m donating food to kids in africa because they are hungry”
Here it’s clear that i’m giving food to kids in africa

“I’m donating food, because kids in africa are hungry”
Here is not that clear. Maybe I’m donating food to an ONG that distributes this food between Africa, Middle-east, etc?

But in the end it doesn’t matter how you choose to interpret the sentence but how Anet interprets it. It says what it says, if you choose to see it differently , in the end, won’t matter even a little bit

Extra account

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

Not sure why it was hard to find as it clearly a topic on the same page.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/HoT-Price-Feedback-Base-game-included-merged/page/6#post5156129
“To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.”

Extra account

blackoil.2673

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/HoT-Price-Feedback-Base-game-included-merged/page/6#post5156129
“To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.”

As I said, this sentence is also confusing
Read my lasts messages plz .-.

Extra account

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

As I said, this sentence is also confusing
Read my lasts messages plz .-.

It’s not. It’s only confusing to you because you’re making it that way.

Extra account

Pifil.5193

- Then I choose the upgrade for HoT and the core game.

I apologise if I’ve been rude or brusque with you, I try not to be. I can definitely see that the wording could be clearer.

If it was me, I’d have said something more like:

A serial code that will allow you to either upgrade an existing GW2 account to HoT or to create a brand new account that will include both HoT and free access to the award-winning GW2 core game.

After all, it’s not like they’re paying per word or anything, they can afford to elaborate a little.