Farming elite specs on multiple characters.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: cyst.3108

cyst.3108

so.. if i get the ulty spec on thief (darevil) i will have to unlock it on my (input any random class) AGAIN?

After June 25 im like… 90% happier

Posted by: Daniel Handler.4816

Daniel Handler.4816

Yes. Have fun. Simply use 80 tomes of knowledge and do 35ish hero challenges in the news map. You will be done by the first day.

“Kentigem”-chief. Born cycle of Dusk. Wyld Hunt:
Learn as much mending and medical info as possible so that it can be added to the Dream.
Become the first Chief of Mending and guide the newly awaken as well as those who want to learn.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I LOVE how people simultaneously think the new hero challenges will be easy/accessible on the first day and yet should also be worth TEN TIMES AS MUCH as the existing hero challenges.

I kinda think some of them are going to be further gated behind ‘mobility’ masteries.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Have fun getting the masteries maxed out to reach map completion to get those HP’s lol. I do believe its 300 level ups after 80 per mastery? Or was it closer to 600?

Posted by: Kaiser.9873

Kaiser.9873

Have fun getting the masteries maxed out to reach map completion to get those HP’s lol. I do believe its 300 level ups after 80 per mastery? Or was it closer to 600?

Someone was saying 16 million-ish xp. That’s the equivalent of leveling up 800 times from level 80.

DeceiverX.8361

Sure. I do recall it being several hundred level ups, though.

Would actually be kind of funny if the elite specs were heavily-gated behind this. Maybe PvE players would begin to understand the feelings WvW’ers are experiencing now.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Sure. I do recall it being several hundred level ups, though.

Would actually be kind of funny if the elite specs were heavily-gated behind this. Maybe PvE players would begin to understand the feelings WvW’ers are experiencing now.

Some PvE players do I understand. I for one do.

Hopefully, the skills and traits are in the line first and all of the cosmetic stuff comes after. And that the skills and traits don’t require that many hero points all together and the cosmetic stuff requires a good chunk of the points.

DeceiverX.8361

I sincerely doubt it. Based on a variety of posts and information that has been thrown around, I’d still wager the HP cost is well-likely over 200 or closer to 300.

The specialization unlocks at 60. You get your first minor adept 60 deep. Datamined numbers in the past were already near or close to the 200-300 area.

It’s cool that you understand, unfortunately there is a lot of “Deal with it I like to explore so do what I do” mentality going on by PvE players or completionists.

Posted by: Schurge.5194

Schurge.5194

You only need to do the Masteries once… after that all characters will breeze right through.

Champion Phantom
We are not friends.

Posted by: Pompeia.5483

Pompeia.5483

The only ‘headache’ in doing it for your alts is having to unlock all the other trait lines.
The only ‘headache’ in doing it for your mains is having to play.

I admit, I was hating this whole thing till an hour ago when I broke it down in Excel and ran some numbers.

To take a quote from a boss in Rift— “It’s really not as bad as…everyone made it seem.”

Amanda Corsiva – Revenant && Katereyna – Chillomancer
Jenna Gracen – Scrapper && Merit Sullivan – Guardian
Daenerys Ceridwen – Druid && Vexia Gracen – Chronomancer

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Someone was saying 16 million-ish xp. That’s the equivalent of leveling up 800 times from level 80.

250k ish Xp per level, so more like 64 times.

Posted by: Chazz.6709

Chazz.6709

Hmm … if i was right it was about 400 ? i have right now 78 hp on my engi … so i can unlock the trait line , but if im right max hp spots in hot will be 20 ? which grants you 10 hp each of them ,which mean 200 … so half missing or well 140 ? 122 ? but still thats a bit much … so i have to grind sw ? and if i was right you gain every 20 min one level there at level 80 so happy grinding ? also i have no tomes aswell.

“All genius said it’s impossible – until someone just did it.”

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

i am sure alts will be easier. For one, your mastery are account bound, meaning moment in the jungle will be easier. Two, you will have a good idea where HP even are.
The third, though is a theory, is that we really have no real number data above 60. If you level your character naturally, that means most likely collecting core HP too, which gives a boost to what you need already.
Also, 400 I believe is the number given to max the whole thing, but atm, that line supposed to have weapons and skins and such. If they are at the end of the line, means less points to just use Elite.

Posted by: Bitoku Kishi.8346

Bitoku Kishi.8346

The biggest problem I see with this right off the bat is trying to track down these mysterious HoT hero challenges using a Herald-less Revenant… which won’t be impossible by any stretch, but it’s almost certain to be annoying.

Posted by: Chazz.6709

Chazz.6709

Well for some classes , which have a “kitten” spec like " tempest" ( it feels so boring and not special at all so far) is 400 hp kind of a “waste” ? … i mean that effort for … well yeah … tempest ? or other unloved specs ?

“All genius said it’s impossible – until someone just did it.”

Posted by: Bitoku Kishi.8346

Bitoku Kishi.8346

Well for some classes , which have a “kitten” spec like " tempest" ( it feels so boring and not special at all so far) is 400 hp kind of a “waste” ? … i mean that effort for … well yeah … tempest ? or other unloved specs ?

To be honest at this point I’m not even necessarily planning on getting half of them. At least not unless it eventually becomes really easy to get them once I have Mastery built up enough.

Posted by: drkmgic.9583

drkmgic.9583

I second that guy saying. I hopetrait lines are easy to unlock and cosmetics are the ones we have to grind. That i don’t mind.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

250k ish Xp per level, so more like 64 times.

Can the xp come from any characters? If so, mastery points would be the gate when most level a revenant.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Wow some of you are talking about the Elite specs and some are talking about masteries ……

Elite specs (aka Hero Points) are done on a per char basis, which means if you have multiple chars then you need to do them again for each char. Been this way since the game started by the way.

Masteries are done by account, which means that once you do it on one char than that mastery is done for all chars.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

The only ‘headache’ in doing it for your alts is having to unlock all the other trait lines.
The only ‘headache’ in doing it for your mains is having to play.

I admit, I was hating this whole thing till an hour ago when I broke it down in Excel and ran some numbers.

To take a quote from a boss in Rift— “It’s really not as bad as…everyone made it seem.”

I dunno, Rift was pretty bad. :p

Jokes aside, I’ve reconciled with how this is going to work, and I’ll just have to accept some delayed gratification. I still think it’s foolish to lock a major mechanical portion of the content behind the mastery grind (which should have been there to lock the actual content), but I’ll be working through my legion of alts eventually. :P

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

Yes. Have fun. Simply use 80 tomes of knowledge and do 35ish hero challenges in the news map. You will be done by the first day.

There are only 40 hero challenges in the entire Heart of Thorns game. Those 40 hero challenges are spread across three very large maps. Progression on those maps is said to be blocked and require x Mastery level to be completed. So what you’re suggesting “in one day” is grossly under exaggerating what’s coming.

And what is coming? Love for the lush new world and rich narrative? NO. By designing the Elite Spec unlock to work in the way they have it will be all about the Elite Spec which means grind for XP to unlock the Mastery’s needed to get though maps to the hero challenges. This is what ArenaNet has reduced Heart of Thorns to.

It’s not the most of us don’t care about the new story narrative. I think many do, but we care about obtaining the Elite Spec much more than anything else because most of us want to take the spec into dungeons or into WvW so it will be all about the grind for Hero Points and XP for Mastery’s to facilitate the Hero Point hunt. This is now what the game is all about.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

so.. if i get the ulty spec on thief (darevil) i will have to unlock it on my (input any random class) AGAIN?

Yup. Just like unlocking skills/traits on (input any random class) ever since…oh…the life of the game.

That much really should have been expected, considering they bluntly stated that elites specs are character progression.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I’ve seen the warhorn air skill which pulls in mobs. That sounds great for countering point blank and multi-knockback trolls so you can ensure all mobs get AoE’d most efficiently. Only problem with it though is sacrificing a dagger to have access to it, but staff is typically better in large group outings anyway (I remember in WvW regretting going d/d since I ran into many situations where staff would have been better)

Posted by: Ganathar.4956

Ganathar.4956

I’ve seen the warhorn air skill which pulls in mobs. That sounds great for countering point blank and multi-knockback trolls so you can ensure all mobs get AoE’d most efficiently. Only problem with it though is sacrificing a dagger to have access to it, but staff is typically better in large group outings anyway (I remember in WvW regretting going d/d since I ran into many situations where staff would have been better)

Sacrificing a dagger is not the only problem, you also have to give up a perfectly good trait line for one that isn’t that great in comparison. This is the biggest problem with the spec in my opinion, as the weapon is optional.