Feedback on HoT Stress Test [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Grumpy.6027

Grumpy.6027

TBH the beta is fun. For those having issues using mushrooms or glider(also controlling it) first off u need to put mastery points and the glider hold the right button down on mouse turns perfectly. FPS drop yea, but only about 10-20% and no matter what your gonna have FPS drop, also I am used to playing WVW and this is on the highest settings. Yea Anet not sure if you meant for 1 heal on 1 legendary then legendary swap poof instant heal ready to use. The CD’s are about where they should be but maybe increase some of the actions on the weapons, way to telegraphed. Also playing the second session to see how the server handles from earlier today and there is no lag what so ever from both sessions.

Posted by: Krysin.7103

Krysin.7103

First impressions are pretty good, didnt experience any lag or fps issues in the new zone which is great.
Skills look great and i love the art style of the skills (heres hoping everyone else gets a upgrade!) I think theres definitely some balancing to get around to.

One issue though is the masteries bar section when opened, on a triple monitor 5760p it goes across all of the screens as current, im hoping to see this changed so it opens only on the central monitor with all of our other UI elements at launch.

Edit: For the mastery system, i found this initially confusing. Honestly i didnt notice it was a scroll bar and was confused as to where gliding and mushrooms were lol. But maybe a quick tutorial is needed.
Also gliding isnt great….its just missing something. Ive played a few mmos with flying or gliding and they have a thrill to it, here its just ‘meh’. Its one thing i think archeage had right was gliding.

(edited by Krysin.7103)

Posted by: ichigomotoko.6423

ichigomotoko.6423

Thank you for the invitation to the stress test beta! I thoroughly enjoyed playing as a revenant. The only odd thing for me was that the hammer 3 skill seemed to often awkwardly move the camera on its own. I understand that the skill moves our character to the enemy location and then back, but the unintentional (horizontal) rotation of the camera during the skill seems a bit disorienting.

That said, I enjoyed the rest of the experience provided in the beta, the Legendary Wyvern fight especially. I’m excited to see how gliding develops as it is upgraded with mastery points. Also thank you very much for making it available to mac players even in the beta stages! I’m excited for the xpac to come out!

Posted by: Blads.6132

Blads.6132

I also want to add my feedback. (non native speaker)

- the sniper part was so much fun
- the dragon fight with the new defiance bar reminded me of tootsie in drytop and it was fun to fight and great to watch (all those revenant chains pulling that dragon!!)
- can’t say much about the revenant’s skills because I’m a slow learner but I liked the design of hammer skill 3 (but not the camera turn at the end)
- the mastery system ui is too huge for my taste and although it is filling half my screen, I didn’t notice that I needed to scroll down for the other mastery lines until my guildie pointed it out. maybe don’t put so much unused space under the third line and it will be less confusing
- the mastery ui opens through clicking ANYWHERE on the experience bar but closes only in the top corners. I am clicking my skills and don’t like to open this huge thing by mistake. I know it only does this if you’re not in fight, but it can also mess up the fight beginning for me. please make it, so it opens only in the corners (preferably the right one) or give us an option to toggle it off and to assign it to a random key
- and i think the mastery ui needs some kind of better tutorial, because I had a lot of trouble using it intuitively

((- oh and I know this isn’t the german forum but please don’t call it Widergänger. It implies another meaning and should really be Wiedergänger (with e).))

(edited by Blads.6132)

Posted by: Myrden.2456

Myrden.2456

Thoughts:

- loved the way our character interacted with others vocally and visually. Well done, devs.
- did not feel the Revenant was OP in any way. I ran through with a rev, Mesmer and warrior, and the Revenant fell behind both of those greatly in DPS. Of course, this was my first time with it, so take it for what it’s worth.
- gliding was more fun than I thought, but definitely needs work. It’s very clunky to deploy.
- the mastery UI and intuitiveness of use needs work. Also, after getting a point in mushrooms, I still couldn’t use it until I spent another point. I don’t see myself spending any point on this, TBH.
- the wavers fight was fun, and you could definitely see teamwork make it easier. It wI’ll be interesting to see with all classes going at him.
- didn’t experience any lag or crashes on upper-tier system.
- attack skills did seem to have a bit of a delay.
- fun demo! Can’t wait for the open-world beta!

Posted by: Kenny.9462

Kenny.9462

Enjoyed the beta, especially sniping during the Assist the Pale Riders event.
Found a few issues :
Couldn’t change weapons during the Destroy Mordrem Breachers event. This may have been due to lag since I was able to do so successfully a few seconds later.
During the Tendril Torching adventure I was unsure of the progress being made.
I was also able to to take part in the adventure by selecting Torch(F) instead of starting the adventure. (Starting the adventure did work as expected)
Also is it possible to reach the Maguuma Mastery Orb?

Posted by: DONNIE.8241

DONNIE.8241

I’m a WvW player, I will “analyze” according to this fact.

The Revenant

The stability is not too much, in my opinion. Sense it changed from duration to stacking, it is very easy to counter even though, if no one stuns you, it might seem permanent. It is also on a preset path, which in many cases will be hard to walk on. When other players see this path of Revenant stability, all the Lines of warding and Static fields will be placed on it. You must keep on the path to keep the stability up, but not only will it be hard to always predict where to place this path, it will most of the times be covered with CC (in WvW).

The hammer is great. The only thing I’d like as a change is the same as you did with warrior a while back. Skill 4 on hammer, warrior, was in the beginning a skill where the player was stuck in position while casting it. This was correctly removed. Seeing since the Revenant doesn’t have the mobility of a warrior, the skill 3, on Revenant should be changed so that you are not stuck in position while it’s casting. It gives very terrible mobility and it will make WvW players not use the skill at all.

The utility skills are too limited. Seeing since they only change depending on your legendary, it really limits the kind of build that you can use.

The healing skills are both good in their own way. You can heal in Demon legendary to use the condition that is applied to you, to your advantage. Then simply swap legendary to remove three of the conditions. Hard to say how this will be used. I believe it would be better if the healing skill stayed the same on both legendaries and increase the heal a bit and maybe heal per condition as well as taking three conditions away. Otherwise it could be a bit overpowered, being able to heal 4k plus heal per condition, then swap and heal 5k plus removing three conditions. It’s hard to say, Revenant doesn’t appear to have the regeneration as the warrior or even guardian. Guardian that also have a lot of healing on Orb of light, Empower, etc. The healing on Revenant might be good as it is, yet again, hard to say.

Hammer will be the weapon of choise for many WvW players. I would have loved to see a weapon swap sigil in this beta, like energy. Would this sigil trigger when swapping legendaries? If so, giving us a bit more room to work with the utility skills would be great.

Elite skill duration is a bit low. It is similar to Renewed focus, but since it does not make you invulnerable nor immune to CC, the duration could be a bit longer.

Ability to remove conditions. Revenant has a lot of self inflicting conditions, even with that it has only, as far as I could see, the one healing skill to remove three of them. Additional condition removing is needed.

All in all, I enjoyed playing the Revenant. It’s an exciting new profession with a lot of potential and I believe that we will see a lot of them in WvW when HoT is out.

Thanks ArenaNet for letting me take part in this stress test!

Posted by: walgierz.8369

walgierz.8369

Ok, second part of my beta-stress test.
This time i focused in events and gliding. Fight with Wyvern is cool and I assume this event won’t be so often in normal mode because of rewards (3 armored scales every 5 minutes ). I’m rather dissapointed with Tendril Torching Adventure because in my opinion it is boring. You can do it for mastery point(s?) but why I should get back to that after achieved this mastery point?
My personal favourite part of this beta was gliding. Trying to reach orbs for mastery was really cool. Exploring, enjoying the views during flight.
Now I’m going to sleep becouse it’s 2:22 am and I must go to work in a couple of hours Thx a lot for invite to this stress test, ANet.

Posted by: FrostyBou.5491

FrostyBou.5491

I can’t give much feedback on the revenant as it’s hard to jump into a new class and figure it out in a rather short time, looking forward to seeing the other weapons… Was hoping to find out what its underwater weapon is so I can decide whether to make the trident legendary now. :P

The wyvern fight worked well once folks started noticing that when the bar went blue that was the time to try and chain him down. he’s kinda like the roadrunner in drytop was my impression once I figured it out. a hint might be helpful for the new defiance bar to let people know that when it goes blue its time to use their CC abilities.

I’m a little on the fence about the wyvern fight not having the usual ‘tells’ about where attacks are going to land. This is an issue with the mordrem teragriffs and the rocks that popup from the ground in the last LS episode boss fight as well. I’ve gotten so used to looking for it to determine if I’m going to get hit that not having it on random things now causes me to get hit more often than I think I should.

The most confusing part to me was the mastery UI. It is not clear to me how you actually progress in it. I went straight to the glider line and tried to put my two points in and picked up a third, and it told me that I needed a total of three points to get to the next tier but I had that. I understand there’s supposed to be a XP requirement as well, but it was not clear if I was progressing along that. I think I was because I had it selected. I then tried to put a point into the mushroom track as it appeared that would unlock the bouncing mushrooms but that did not unlock anything. Maybe something that resembles the pvp reward track ui more might be a little more clear with a continuously visible xp bar and the ability to spend points when it hits the next tic rather than having them compress to the left as they are selected? Alternatively with a pvplike ui, you have the progress the xp first than that unlocks the ability to spend the mastery point to actually get the skill? I’m not sure what would work best.

(edited by FrostyBou.5491)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Side note for those who are wondering: Having the wings backpack does nothing special when you glide. Sorry.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Derrelli.8649

Derrelli.8649

Not much to add to what’s already been stated; overall impression is good as far as the purpose of the stress test is concerned. I experienced no lag, major FPS drops, or outstanding bugs.

I am eager to see what the rest of the expansion has in store, esp. the specialties, and also eager to learn Rev from ground up.

I do agree that the gliding needs tweaking…. and looking forward to soaring across the skies. Would be nice to be able to trigger it sooner…. and trigger it again quicker if you shut it off in flight.

Posted by: alleriapython.4159

alleriapython.4159

Just finished the stress test for the beta, late hour. Thoughts:

On the whole I think it was excellent; well done Anet. The story is intriguing, full of mystery and excitement. I agree with other posters that the MC or our character is talking straight up without the clicking of several dialogue boxes. The world/zone itself has amazing graphics and new/not-so-new terrain mixed in. I’m looking forward to exploring everything in this map, beyond what I could see around the testing zone.

Overall I didn’t have many issues, though I noticed the hang gliding is not completely up to par quite yet. I had some issues making it work, especially figuring out where the drafts were, because unless your camera angle is pointed downwards it’s difficult to see them, unless that was your intention. There was a period where my character floated straight to the bottom of the map, after 3 attempts to get the gliding down.

The mace/axe weapon set on the Revenant I favored over the hammer, but I can see the use in having both sets. I feel like there needs to be a ranged weapon in the future, especially for the wyvern fight, in which if not many players used the “Forced Engagement” skill to keep the Legendary down then one would be able to dodge/avoid the fire pits and trails.

I absolutely loved the F1 skills, and the utilities between the two def/off, but still maintaining the damage output and skill sets however different between the two stances. Playing the class in a PVE or even PVP/WVW area would greatly enhance my viewpoint on the class as a whole.

In the story at the last boss, I had a problem with the NPC’s that were with me. When they got rooted/immobilized, they stopped attacking the boss, even with their mediocre damage output, but thus rendering them completely useless. I don’t know if this is intentional, or just an annoying bug I had.

Looking forward to Heart of Thorns! =)

Posted by: Greymarch.3291

Greymarch.3291

I honestly liked it in both fluidity of the class and the story that came with it couldn’t do it any better. Keep at it Anet this class looks very chipper and unique. I really liked Legendary Demon Stance for its condition evasion abilities and Dwarf stance for its defensive fighting. The hammer made me admire its damage but sadly mace/axe is very niche atm. But I am pretty sure you guys will fix that. ty for letting me participate in your stress test – Boo Glorygear (GoM)[ART]

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

Cant say much really, it was a stress test and the amount of content was very limited.

I hope the real beta will have more content for us to browse through and more things open.

Fighting the dragon was OK, but once you got people doing things properly it became rather boring. Shame we couldnt play on the new WvW map.

Posted by: VAngel.4562

VAngel.4562

I played 2 hrs in the morning and 1 in the evening and I only found that my computer had a problem with the fire in the Wyvern fight once. Other than that
The fights ran smooth
My gliding was elusive space bar command did not show till I was well into the fall
and the jumping mushroom never happened (even though I did have the mastery points) said I didn’t.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Sticking on topic of this being a Stress Test first, I noticed no discernible issues in regards to frame rates or other related areas. I was going to mention a delay in the response of the request to deploy the glider, when I just remembered I kept jumping off the ledges as opposed to falling, it seems to wait until your character is falling before the prompt appears, not as soon as you’re airborne(descending). Wyvern was, well, interesting, I tried to see if I could watch for the tell of the fire breath, but it was usually a little to hectic to notice if I could see it or not, so far so good(knowing that everything will be tweaked many, many times still). The Tendril Torching…Flame Resistant Husks?!?, took me a few to realize I had to try and blow them up with the unexploded ordinance(at least I think that’s what I was supposed to do), besides trying unsuccessfully to burn the jungle tendrils. As for the Revenant, enjoyed it, even though 75% of the time I had no clue as to what the heck I was doing, though I was doing damage(the log said so). I think it’ll be a quite interesting profession to play.

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

Ok…I have to make a small correction to my first statement..this zone is actually huge

..like…

there is an entire seperate part below us that i didn’t notice

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Posted by: Tibicia.8315

Tibicia.8315

The video was disappointing and created terrible frustration. I had no sound, and I was adjusting everything I could think of as fast as I could that I had access to given the video somewhat takes over! This happened at the end of the Silver Wastes missions, too, and I was really upset not knowing what I was missing, because I love the stories and the music in GW2. Problem is the video is not like anything else used in the game, and there is no warning. If this is something Arenanet is determined to use on a regular basis, please, please, PLEASE attach something to your expansion so some of us have an idea of what to adjust before we miss any more content.

Revenant; It was really great get to try it out. You gave us a second set of weapons to tinker with, too, which was pretty awesome. One little little negative, and that is the healing on it is a bit OP. Revenant already seemed a bit hard to damage. Not that this is a huge complaint as I do plan on playing this character class as soon as it’s available, but just have to be honest here.

Thank you for a chance to try this out!!! Super cool!

Posted by: Dany.3094

Dany.3094

Very good first impression of the class!

Fun to play, its new, never seen anything like this before, i like the weapon, armor skins, trait and mastery system. The Glider is hard to control since its not instant ‘cast’. But i’d like to see what we can do in a full map! Love the bouncing shroom!
A had a bit of probleme with the connection, got a lots of Anet Error while fighting Wyvern but except that no issues.

I can’t wait to play the actual expension and create my own revenant and work for my masteries!

Good jobs!

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

I got my chance to take part in the small beta stress test and I found the experience enjoyable after a few setbacks at first.

I had to restart my client four times just so I could fully play through the demo of the story instance. I’ve coined that to terrible internet.
However, speaking of terrible internet, it was still fairly easy to adapt with the Revenant class and use it’s abilities to some effect still.

As a real stickler for performance and remembering past instances of say, old Lion’s Arch, Southsun Cove, and some other maps, I was highly expecting this map to drop down in frames-per-second. To my pleasant surprise, that was not the case. It played pretty decently performance wise in majority of areas. Note that my system spec consists of an i7 4790K running at 4.4 GHz with two R9 290X with a 5760×1080 triple monitor setup.

That reminds me. The Masteries UI is very bad. It also stretches across all three of my monitors, with buttons in respective positions as if treating my Eyefinity setup as one entire monitor. It was very bad.

Activating the glider was a bit finicky but that too can probably be coined to the fact I have 700 ping.

I didn’t encounter bugs of any sort either, but I don’t doubt that anyone else did.

All in all, despite my bad internet (700 ping at all times fosrs) the demoing was very good, and a fairly enjoyable experience.

(edited by Avelos.6798)

Posted by: dominus nok.9263

dominus nok.9263

I enjoyed the stress test and was happy to be a part of it. i like the new class and how it works within a structured group. thank you for letting me be a part of the beta test.

Posted by: Dona Elizabeta.4261

Dona Elizabeta.4261

I loved it. Thank you.

I had one disconnect during first wyvern fight but not later. I did not have any lag during the morning two hours. I had a small amount during the first half hour of the evening.

I really enjoyed gliding and gave it both my points so it was even more fun. I look forward to the Mastery trait system and agree it should be in the hero panel.

The tendril burning activity was fun but a little hard to do. I also could not get out of it when I blew it and wanted to start over. That would be a pain in the rear at release.

I played a revenant for a while which was fun. Then I played it on ranger which is my favorite. It was also fun and about the same difficulty level as playing the revenant.

Thanks. It was a fun day.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Well the only thing I didn’t get to take part in was some mushroom thing. I had no idea how to do it and didn’t see any help to figure it out so I just left it. I put my 2 points into gliding. I agree with many others that say the UI for the masteries is not great. It’s way too big and it actually took me a minute to figure out how to actually use a point. I was clicking this and that and I’m still not sure if there was some glitch or I’m just too kitten to figure out stuff like that :p

My FPS was between 58 and 89 for those times I looked. I use a gaming tower, maybe that helps. It was 58 during the biggest, first fight with the dragon when lots of players were in on it. On the last dragon fight there were maybe 4 or 5 of us and that’s where I checked and saw the 89 FPS.

I was DC’d once in the first fight with the dragon. I really enjoyed the fight although it did seem fairly easy. The skills you get with hammer seem to really be made for a fight just like that. Keep the dragon from flying away and use some combo fields, etc.

The overall look was really nice. However, of course being a test it was pretty boring pretty quick. Do this, do that, fight dragon, rinse, repeat. I also enjoyed the laser sniping part. I fought on the ground a few times then did the sniper and I liked it because I was always stuck on the ground in some CC and found it frustrating at times. With sniping you just shoot and kill and it was pretty cool.

As another poster mentioned, many times that I went to place a bomb I just had to run over the thing and didn’t have to interact (no pressing F) and it just happened.

Overall the weapons and skills worked well. It was hard to tell if sometimes the skills didn’t work because I was caught in some CC or maybe the skills overlapped and maybe cancelled each other out. Did not happen often. The glider was pretty easy to figure out and it was quite nice. I wasn’t sure though how to end it, or if I could end it, sooner than when it just stopped on its own. I found maneuvering with it quite easy.

I loved the look of the new armor!

I played the Revanent and found the hammer fun to play with. I also tried the mace and axe and they were also good but better for the first section, not for the dragon – it was too hard to get in close many times for that.

Thanks for the invite. I really enjoyed my time in the Beta The sound was amazing, by the way. I had no issues watching the scenes. They were the best ones to date (coming from someone who usually skips every one in game!).

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: KiKi.9458

KiKi.9458

I enjoyed the stress test, had no problems with lag or anything. The content was fun and I enjoyed the new class. Look forward to release!

Posted by: Zafira.7560

Zafira.7560

Mastery Window

When using 3 monitors (5760 × 1080) the window extends across all 3 monitors and makes it difficult to see. Suggest confining it to the center window.

Bill from Moran
MSI X99A SLI Plus / Intel 87-5820K / 2 GB DDR$ Ram
2 x NVIDIA GTX 690 in quad SLI / 3 x BenQ 27" Monitors

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

I got bored after 5 minutes, there’s literally nothing to do.

Sorry for all those who found the xpac to be less than stellar. Hopefully Anet takes heed and throws more content/features into HoT initial release versus holding back for future updates.

Note: since it was a stress test some of the PvE content may have been locked. Let’s hope so.

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

Other than being able to feel how the Revenant plays, it wasn’t really too impressive.

I would have been interested in seeing more than what was already spammed all over Reddit, and the newer stuff just wasn’t here, it felt like.

The Revenant is going to be fun to play and be a monster in WvW, but i really have nothing else to say, good, bad, or otherwise because there really just wasn’t much here that was noteworthy.

Sorry, but thanks for the invite.

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Posted by: Majsan.5870

Majsan.5870

I had no problems at all, it all ran smoothly on my end; however, it ended too quickly, I miss the demo already even when it’s been 6 minutes since I played it >.>

Posted by: MercWatcher.1397

MercWatcher.1397

Was pretty smooth to me. I expected a few bugs and lag or disconnections, but none of that occurred to me. There could have been a decent bit more explanation about how to level and maintain masteries. I couldn’t figure out at all how people were getting their gliding and mushroom abilities no matter how many screens I looked at until I realized the mastery screen scrolled. =P Other than that, pretty impressive.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Great first impression!

The cinematics are gorgeous, the environment is amazing, and the Revenant is extremely fun to play. The only suggestion I can offer so far is I think the Mastery UI needs a some polishing, it feels over-large and the switching between bars in each mastery line does not feel intuitive at all. It took me some minutes to figure out if I’d spent my points or not. I kind of like the Wxp UI, maybe something similar to that would work well and feel more consistent with existing systems? Possibly add the colorful explanation popups without the huge bars?

Also, my first run through I missed most of the story since the little exit door triggered right after the first part, as Braham was running down the hill. I thought it was done so I left and didn’t realize until later talking with someone that I’d actually missed most of the story.

Posted by: MotherTrucker.2174

MotherTrucker.2174

I’m a WvW player, I will “analyze” according to this fact.

All in all, I enjoyed playing the Revenant. It’s an exciting new profession with a lot of potential and I believe that we will see a lot of them in WvW when HoT is out.

I agree, I can’t wait to get a Rev into WvW. I had fun in the beta, I don’t understand all the haters.

Posted by: monx.6510

monx.6510

it was a really good experience, i loved the new boss mechanics, i fought him 3 times and didn’t get bored which is kind of surprising for me.
one thing i did not like about the glider is, it takes about 2 seconds to be activated, i’d prefer to have the ability to activate it anytime while in the air, or maybe holding space for like a second instead of jumping then pressing space again after.
and i’m hoping they are customizable, for example, skinning them and the ability to dye them!.
looking forward for the expansion!.

(edited by monx.6510)

Posted by: Kreejaffa.3682

Kreejaffa.3682

My two cents:

I played for both of the two hour sessions today. Had a good time. Fun messing around with the Rev for the first time. I experienced no crashes, which was surprising, but good. I figured for at least one during the whole 4 hours played.

I did have one issue when messing around with the traits on the Rev. I decided to reset them and play around with them a little, and when I did, I was unable to slot my tier two and tier three traits in the second category (I wish I would have taken screenies).

Basically, I maxed out the second and third sets, and just put two points into the first set. I started with the second set, slotted the tier 1 trait, and when i went to slot the tier two trait, it would not allow me. No messages or anything, it just acted like it was not an option. So, I went down to the third set, maxed it out, and it allowed me to then slot all three tiers of traits, so I was like, what the heck. Went back to the second set, and it now allowed me to slot tier two and tier three traits.

Only issue I had really.

I would suggest though, for gliding, that the option to start take effect a little sooner than it currently does. Feels like there is too much drop before you get the option.

It’s looking good though. I like the things I am seeing.

Kreejaffa [Ferguson’s Crossing]
Leader of Looking For Gandalf [LFG]
Worst Commander of Ferguson’s Crossing (Self Proclaimed)

Posted by: kdose.5309

kdose.5309

Had a blast! I’m so excited to see what’s down on the jungle floor! Such a tease!

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Thank you Anet for the invitation, my experience is as follows:

Hardware
=====
Network Performance – Great no lag noticed at all
Graphics Performance – Very high framerate on a Nvidia GTX 770

Revenant
=====
This is a great class, I mean truly it is awesome. I hope the specializations for the other classes compete with the Revenant.

Story Instance
==
Great! I was surprised at my character’s awesome voice. Being able to stun the final boss with well time CCs was great. Excited to play the other story instances.

Mastery Points
==
These are great but there is one point that I would like to address that may confuse new players. I understand that you have to spend points to purchase a mastery skill, like WvW points. However, it took a large amount of time to figure out that you have to earn the right to unlock the skill by gaining experience. I don’t remember reading any dialogue about this but once I figured it out….I was eventually able to jump on mushrooms.

Events
=
1) Pale Reavers Sniper event is fun but it seems like they did not get attack at all, side stepping some Mordrem attacks would be fun.
2) The easy version of the Wyvern fight was very engaging and fun
3) The flamethrower adventure event was ok, wasn’t exciting which is similar to heart quests. Maybe have portions of the ship exploding or have those exploding canister activate on proximity rather than interaction.

Gliding
===
Gliding is very easy to control with the mouse. Good job nailing flight controls down, if there was a mastery point to “Do a barrel roll” (or aileron roll) to evade enemy fire that would be epic! lol

Thank you, Anet for the Beta Invite!

(edited by reapex.8546)

Posted by: Moonless Midnight.1360

Moonless Midnight.1360

Had fun in the stress test. Had no problems with overall performance, enjoyed the new area and events, and enjoyed the new class. There were some problems with not being able to use the mushrooms even if you had the mastery point in there for it and the flamethrower for the vine clearing event was acting sorta wonky (wouldn’t always aim properly). Aside from those two problems everything was fine.

Posted by: Dolphinash.8736

Dolphinash.8736

I had a great time. Only problem I had was that orb on the rock that only the Revenant could get. I think gliding will be something I will have to get used to.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

As a stress test, I think – at least on my computer and in the instances I was in – the game passed with flying colors.

Of the little gameplay we were able to see (and keeping in mind this is an early stress test), I was sufficiently impressed.

The things I would point to specifically that could use improvements at this time -

1. The mastery screen is not very intuitive. Was never sure how many mastery points I had invested or how it was advancing. This seemed to be the case with many, given how many tried to use the mushrooms and couldnt.

2. The Wyvern could be a little tougher – even as an early encounter (most just a balance issue though).

3. I interacted with a tendril and found myself in the adventure without really knowing why. I then jumped off the edge and couldn’t glide (because I was in the adventure). Could be more intuitive.

I also would worry about the validity of how much stress you actually put on the condi stacking. Since everyone was on a revenant, and people werent experienced with how that profession stacks torment, there were never many condi stacks on any target that I saw.

Overall, the stress test was an enjoyable experience and leaves me hoping the data they’ve collected means they are ready to take the next step.

(edited by Blaeys.3102)

Posted by: Eirian Direstorm.9748

Eirian Direstorm.9748

I missed the second window completely… :P But I can’t wait to play more. Hope there is more of a Beta soon and that I can be in it!

So I have my beta revenant just sitting on my login page now, and I’m getting a little attached to her. Will it just disappear with some update soon, or will it persist in any form?

Posted by: Leonia.2031

Leonia.2031

I found it very chaotic, largely in a good sense – there’s a lot going on and people working together.

The Rev was impossible to judge straight in at level 80, although I hated the hammer as a weapon and enjoyed mac/axe far, far more. That’s more a playstyle thing though.

Gliding didn’t feel intuitive, but there wasn’t much chance to really test it over a wide area. Probably one of those things that will become more natural with play.

I liked the Wyvern and I loved he didn’t have a timer. He was very much a boss straight out of TSW world though (anyone who remembers Flappy will see some small similarities here).

Yeah fps was a major issue with so many effects – smoke especially. I mainly tried the beta to decide whether my PC needs upgrading and I think this will give encourage me to do so. It should be playable just fine on lower settings though for anyone else with fps issues in effects heavy zones.

Apart from the latter, there was very little negative to take away. There were certainly less bugs than I expected too.

Sums up my own thoughts as well, minus the FPS issues (didn’t seem to have any noticeable lag or framerate loss). Oh, and couldn’t get the mushrooms to work even when equipping the proper mastery. I’m really eager to see more of Verdant Brink and now find going back to my less condition-heavy builds kind of dull. Super excited for the next one. Definitely one of the less stressful stress tests I’ve ever experienced.

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

Regarding the class and available weps, I preferred the axe and mace over the hammer. The hammer and its associated skills just seemed sub-par in comparison.

The skins looked good, and as some others have noted already: I found the Jalis set more useful than the Mallyx set.

It was interesting to see how the masteries were set up, but seeing as HoT will be an 80+ zone, I suppose its ok how the previous skill points are used for mastery points.

Hot-tips might be needed when introducing the glider though as well as other masteries. (just a suggestion)

As for the fights, I had no connection problems nor did I notice much else regarding fps. It was definitely chaotic at first though.

And the map/area just seemed really restricting, but ofc it’s a stress test.

I also liked how your character was able to actually talk that was cool to see.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Posted by: Devilsown.9376

Devilsown.9376

The Mastery System must be much better explained ingame or it must be impossible to choose “no Mastery”. I lost 3 Level until I even noticed the small Icons and 5 more until I understood how it works.

Posted by: Bubba.9203

Bubba.9203

Loved the boss fight. There were new aspects to avoid different than other gw2 world bosses. The wyvern gave me a chance to explore the new slot skills for the Revenant. Next I will work on exploring the development of the masteries. So little time to try and explore all on the first play, but thoroughly enjoyed.

Posted by: shygirl fourfivetwo.3751

shygirl fourfivetwo.3751

Overall I thought the stress test was a success, didn’t disconnect and some skill lag of about 3 seconds but wasn’t too hard to overcome. The only bugs I noticed was the handgliding system.. the vertical ascension was either laggy or just difficult to use because of rubber-banding effects. I had pointed my camera down to look at where to jump, so maybe that was why I couldn’t land too well? Even after I got better at it, I still had an error message that I was leaving the beta area lol
On the mace 2 skill for Revenant, I noticed was a combo field for fire but it doesn’t have “combo field: fire” in the description of the skill (thought that was noteworthy). The other skills of the new class seem to be OK so far, I really liked that the hammer has 2 blasts, even if both use groundtargeting. Seeing a lot of potential for the Revenant!
Everything else looked great, the events were fun lots of time to practice the new skills and explore the class a bit. The environment looks amazing, can’t wait to explore more!

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

keep the revenant as it is. don’t do the same mistakes you did with the dervish class in gw1, where it was nerfed, and nerfed again after it was newly released.

fps issues. running 40 fps at medium low settings.

i loved the revenant. meant for pve and wvw.

Posted by: OtakuDFifty.2965

OtakuDFifty.2965

I’ve found that if the Wyvern’s wingbeat knocked you into an updraft, you’d get tossed up an extreme distance. Not much of a problem once you have Gliding Basics, but without it… haha.

BTW, was the ability to glide by hitting an updraft even if you didn’t have Gliding Basics intentional?

Posted by: Eirian Direstorm.9748

Eirian Direstorm.9748

The environment looked really great, I agree., and the Living story bits were really good. I actually feel anxious about what may happen to Destiny’s Edge, and I like the idea of the biconics having to rescue them. ( I assume that’s where the story is headed).

Posted by: Camplet.9827

Camplet.9827

Ranged Hammer, who would have thought! I loved it, no lag in beta, first time ever! I really enjoyed it. Great Job ArenaNet!!

Posted by: Draykrah.1980

Draykrah.1980

I enjoyed the test, it ran smoothly for me the entire time except for one DC while i was fighting the wyvern. The revenant feels like it will be strong probably too strong. It has an abnormally high access to stability and the stunbreak on legend swap trait gives it very fast and easy access to stunbreaks. On the other hand you have to trait for that and it really doesn’t look like it will have other stunbreaks so that might balance out. The story in the beginning was fun and looks like it is going to be pretty interesting going forward. the zone afterwards was pretty busy to just be dropped into. The hang gliding worked fine for me, but i was never able to get the mushroom mastery to work.

Posted by: Hibiki.4065

Hibiki.4065

My main issue with the stress test was the low frame rate. My comp definitely isn’t high end but the game usually runs smoothly. But the new areas like Dry Top and the Silverwastes give it a hard time, and the same was sadly true for the Beta area. It mainly occurred when smoke, flames, and explosions were on my screen, sadly the entire area was pretty much all smoke, flames and explosions. Getting a separate graphics settings for those effects would be awesome.

The Revenant was fun to experiment with and it feels like we only got a taste for the class, but it’s easy to tell already that they’ll be a big compliment to zergs in WvW. Most of their skills seem intended for zerg use (i.e. the long path of stability and a kitten ton of AoE attacks). But again, it feels like we only got a taste of what the class is like, especially since it was with a predesigned set of balanced stats. Facing a full zerker Revenant with their current skill set would be terrifying.

The gliding was the coolest mechanic in the test in my opinion. I see a few people in this thread complaining about it but it seemed to fit my expectations and it was really fun to just fool around with it. My favorite thing to do was to jump off a high point and start gliding, watching the people fight below me, then drop into a hotspot and start killing things like I was Batman. If you have any new ideas for gliding, I can’t wait to see them.

All in all I enjoyed the stress test, but there’s some room for improvement. I am anxious to see what’s in store for the expansion. Thanks for including me in this test, I hope to be in open beta too!