First Glimpse on Twitch.

First Glimpse on Twitch.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Would have been nice to know if what we saw on the mini-map is the actual size of that map-plane or just a part of it. Since the POI I’m fearing we might just get maps that are smaller than the current cities.

As for the Twitch-chat…I’m always ignoring that, that’s better for my health.

It looked to me like that was just a small portion thanks to the irregular shape and all the smudgy brown around it. It looked like other maps where you haven’t explored yet.

First Glimpse on Twitch.

Posted by: Toepac.9076

Toepac.9076

Soooo,…. am I the only one who liked the stream?
Am I the only one who apreciates the open attitude of the developers and the constant updates so shortly after the expansion anouncement.
I personally find half the posts in this thread far more insulting than anything said in the twitch chatbox that evening.
Learn to have some patience people, more information will come soon.

And great job on the livestream, Big fan of PoI format

First Glimpse on Twitch.

Posted by: Errannar.8263

Errannar.8263

Twitch chat, like Youtube comments and most of Twitter, is just a toxic environment that’s best avoided. Exceptions exist, but usually there’s nothing lost in ignoring it or turning it off.

As for the presentation and the gameplay shown:

These are devs talking about the game they’re working on, not people trained at public speaking or how to play the crowd. That makes it a bit awkward at times, as they think of what they can and want to say and how they can say it, but also comes off as more genuine and spontaneous. Also, playing and talking to an audience at the same time is difficult.

The same is true about the footage. For one, they’re limited in what they can show us. This was the first showing of gameplay footage. They would not show us things that weren’t talked about in depth in a blog yet. In fact, what was announced is this:

They’ll venture into the Maguuma Jungle to show you one of the adventures we heard about earlier this week. Plus, they’ll discuss how some of the systems work.

They told us what we would get to see and that is what we got, but we also got to see a couple of things that they probably didn’t mean for us to see.

Some people here are asking for prerecorded footage, but what makes you think we would see more than we did now? If anything, we would’ve seen less. In anything going out to the players, PR will be involved. Producers and PR want everything to be controlled for a certain reaction. Non-live footage can and will be edited to show exactly what they want to show. No crashes that show us the Revenant icon, no Pop or Testcine hopping into the screen, no fps and video information, no message about guilds and chapters. All of the random stuff that happened would have been edited out. I, for one, would rather see live gameplay than edited footage.

Also, the map obviously showed only the tiny area they had explored on that character. You see the same on any character on an unexplored map.

I’m happy with what I got to see. Devs sounding excited about the game makes me more excited about what’s coming than hearing a PR person talk about it would. And the raw gameplay gives me stuff to think about. Then again, I don’t let unreasonable expectations cloud my mind going into these showings. It’s still early in the reveals, we’ll get more as we get closer to PAX East, Rezzed and beta.

“I like going on adventures, helping my friends and watching things burn.”
~ Spring Flow, Sylvari Guardian

(edited by Errannar.8263)

First Glimpse on Twitch.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Am I the only one who apreciates the open attitude of the developers and the constant updates so shortly after the expansion anouncement.
I personally find half the posts in this thread far more insulting than anything said in the twitch chatbox that evening.

Open attitude would have included more data or at the very least they could have picked several good questions to go over on these events and answer those, there are plenty here in the forums that are really really good questions

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

First Glimpse on Twitch.

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

nah, but complaints always sound louder than praise, especially on the internet.

i personally enjoy getting these little tidbits, and then trying to deconstruct whatever else we get that isn’t directly mentioned (like the warrior F2 skill, among other things).

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

First Glimpse on Twitch.

Posted by: Manifibel.8420

Manifibel.8420

We did know that people would want to see even more, which is why I decided to add a bonus episode in addition to the regular one. Which means I have a lot of work to do this weekend, but I think it’s going to be worth it.

Happy that you decided to do that Looking forward to wednesday for more talk and game play. And as you said yourself, keep the dev guests moveing the character while you talk so we can see stuff you want to show of for now!
HYPE!

Dungeons being about how fast you clear then compared to being able to clear them makes me sad.

First Glimpse on Twitch.

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

There are two things happening here. 1) People didn’t pay attention to/didn’t know about what was outlined to be discussed at this POI and 2) People don’t care about point one.

You can still go look at the news announcement on the front page. It says “Heart of Thorns gameplay” – so how can you say people who expected to actually see some gameplay didn’t know what was going to happen?

The announcement has been made already. It’s time for the devs to stop treating any information on HoT like the nuclear launch codes. I love hearing about funny things that happen during the design and design philosophy and that stuff after I actually know what the design is and can make some guesses on the impact.

Attachments:

First Glimpse on Twitch.

BrunoBRS.5178

There are two things happening here. 1) People didn’t pay attention to/didn’t know about what was outlined to be discussed at this POI and 2) People don’t care about point one.

You can still go look at the news announcement on the front page. It says “Heart of Thorns gameplay” – so how can you say people who expected to actually see some gameplay didn’t know what was going to happen?

The announcement has been made already. It’s time for the devs to stop treating any information on HoT like the nuclear launch codes. I love hearing about funny things that happen during the design and design philosophy and that stuff after I actually know what the design is and can make some guesses on the impact.

psst… maybe you should’ve clicked that link.

“They’ll venture into the Maguuma Jungle to show you one of the adventures we heard about earlier this week. Plus, they’ll discuss how some of the systems work.”

also, please tell me how what we’ve seen friday isn’t gameplay.

First Glimpse on Twitch.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

psst… maybe you should’ve clicked that link.

“They’ll venture into the Maguuma Jungle to show you one of the adventures we heard about earlier this week. Plus, they’ll discuss how some of the systems work.”

also, please tell me how what we’ve seen friday isn’t gameplay.

A few minutes of it was gameplay, but it was mostly just talking.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

First Glimpse on Twitch.

Posted by: Pockethole.5031

Pockethole.5031

given how little actual information – and compressed, too, instead its like dropping 1ml vodka into 1 litre of apple juice, oh god nobody mix it like that…
there is no reason to watch the vids.
i think gw2 has made a deal with twitch, and so, profits come, i guess.
why else the vids are so long and … blah blah blah?

if it’s pointless to watch the vids and waste my time on them, then i’m just ignoring it and waiting for actualy expansion, i mean i will see everything ANYWAY without watching vids, because information comes quicker trough playing the game, btw, why are there vids? oh yeah company profit.
sorry.

First Glimpse on Twitch.

Posted by: Foefaller.1082

Foefaller.1082

Anyone noticed the speech bubble over the player character’s head when he got close to Lithanir and started that adventure?

Will our characters talk to npcs as they travel the world now?

First Glimpse on Twitch.

BrunoBRS.5178

given how little actual information – and compressed, too, instead its like dropping 1ml vodka into 1 litre of apple juice, oh god nobody mix it like that…
there is no reason to watch the vids.
i think gw2 has made a deal with twitch, and so, profits come, i guess.
why else the vids are so long and … blah blah blah?

if it’s pointless to watch the vids and waste my time on them, then i’m just ignoring it and waiting for actualy expansion, i mean i will see everything ANYWAY without watching vids, because information comes quicker trough playing the game, btw, why are there vids? oh yeah company profit.
sorry.

that’s the most ridiculous accusation i’ve seen in a long time.

First Glimpse on Twitch.

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

You were right about “celebrate the year of the ram.” Good catch.

i hid the twitch chat and focused on noticing interesting things, like enemy names, and the fact that they have a festival on the dev client called “celebrate the year of the ram”.

also, that warrior had an F2 skill that was locked and hiding behind its F1 sibling for some reason.

and i’m not sure if we have all those booster icons in game (red MF booster for example).

First Glimpse on Twitch.

BrunoBRS.5178

You were right about “celebrate the year of the ram.” Good catch.

i hid the twitch chat and focused on noticing interesting things, like enemy names, and the fact that they have a festival on the dev client called “celebrate the year of the ram”.

also, that warrior had an F2 skill that was locked and hiding behind its F1 sibling for some reason.

and i’m not sure if we have all those booster icons in game (red MF booster for example).

thanks, but i was hardly the only one that spotted it :P

First Glimpse on Twitch.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

well… from that stream i got some infos…

-the rev is gonna have an OH dagger (shown for a split second) and im glad for that…
finally a use for my massive knive collection that i got for no reason (cause i dont play any class that uses daggers enough to appreciate em) also it might be time to make a legendary i actually like and never could use it.. the incinerator-

-the warrior used a flamethrower that was STOWED on the back like a rifle
and had no darn hobosack (lets hope thats the norm for engi kits soon)

-seems the map they showed its gonna be a sort of thing like you see in a zombie game
basically preparing for the night and hoping you survive it…just that we get mordi´s
radish field trying to claw your face off rather then zombies…yup gonna be fun if its like i hope it is

- dont quote me on that one.. but that rifle in the event seems to be a new weapon
skin…i could be horrible wrong though

-adventures can be restarted if you done goofd and get a leaderboard thingy

-not all sylvari of the pact turned into kittennozzles

-mordi´s armies of radishes seems to be rather creative and gross

-war gets an f2 skill…whatever that might mean for the class mechanic
(i hope it makes it somewhat more enjoyable to play, cause right now its not for me)

- outposts gonna be “hubs” for more events and adapt to whats going on

- the map seems to be rather vertical and many people will fall off (like me with my
elixir gun acid bomb) cept they also take the terrain into account at fighting
(i personally like that)

-i didnt see enough for my personal taste…but i guess i get my fair share soon enough

so far so good…alone to see a flamethrower holstered on the back of a char sparked the hope in me to finally see my beloved main without a glitching galore on the back. The rev certainly looks interresting so far too…i really do hope its the heavy version of an engi\ele and requires skill to play and comes with the same amount of adaptation powers like ele and engi. For me war and guard just dont interrest me enough to play em…and the rev gets my hopes up that this might be the (heavy) class i waited for.

(edited by Basaltface.2786)

First Glimpse on Twitch.

Posted by: synfullydevine.3642

synfullydevine.3642

think players are trying to bleed a rock. When something is incomplete the facts are not there. Anet then will have a hard time in the pr department if the complete version gets stuff added or taken away. Designers need a sense of freedom to change things without worrying about backlash