First Impressions of HoT

First Impressions of HoT

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

-Moredremoth guards seem OP or UP. way to much dmg or ignorable dmg (seems to mostly be the bow users that do overkill burst dmg, while melee i can sit there alt tabbed and not care)
-Reaper to easy to interrupt non stop(GS) or dodge with ease.
-reaper GS 1 frost is to short (its over before you get 1 more hit in). 5 to….flimsy. doesnt work correctly
-2 Mordremoth menders is a PAIN TO KILL. turn down the healing on those. i don’t have a full part
-female asura armor is STILL copy pasted male…..come on T.T
-Trahearne is still alive(apparently…..why can’t he die)

+reaper GS 2 3 and 4 are epic
+love how character speaks now. giving belief i really a commander (instead of a silent stalker who only talks when her “master” lets her in a conversation
+Story seems FAR superior to vanilla (believable quests. survive till dawn. far superior than “survive”)
+amazing visuals (skills AND enemies AND terrain)
+Anet defenitly brought their A-Game.
+Reaper Ult is best ult for Necro yet!
+believable mistrust of Sylvari. not just “i dont trust”, but actually fleshed out and believable! (the atmosphere also helps with that)
+LOVE new reaper shroud. but i kinda miss my old necro shroud. so theres merits to both. necro is ranged. reaper is melee

Bug: Reaper GS 2 skill if used when stationary can’t move while using. but if used while moving, can continue to move. or stop.

*Mist Scrim is Heavy armor only?! my Necro wants it!!!

all in all. i can’t freakin wait for this!!!!
but PLZ make female asura armor NOT COPY PASTE MALE

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

(edited by arenta.2953)

First Impressions of HoT

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

My first impression is that Shiro should have been a Thief Elite Specialization

(edited by Monk Tank.5897)

First Impressions of HoT

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

Maguma Jungle: really boring and not much different than anything else I have seen since launch.

Maguma Mobs: lots and lots and lots of knock downs, sometimes endless chains of them. Is that really what they call ‘harder mobs’? Then there is those lovely archers…with full tank gear I was getting owned by those even if I dodge a lot since they can apparently spam that ranged ability near non-stop. Meh.

Maguma events; same thing as any other part of tyria but far less since most zone is still locked. Many events break too. Since there isn’t much to do here, I can’t be bothered to try to level up the new spec lines since BWE exp is pathetic and slow as molasses. /yawn

Revenant: the additions are really nice with the weapon swap/added shiro line/swords but in the end I cannot get excited about this class since I rarely use more than a couple of buttons since most are fairly useless/super situational/generally a waste of energy….

*Celestial gear: did alright but it felt lack luster and ineffective over all.

*Cleric gear/healer build (buffed over 2k heals): an almost unoticable increase of heals/dmg since last build. I would not suggest anyone going this route since you have no dps and weak heals + I struggle to get credit for events/loot drops. Seriously, all I ever get is bronze no matter how much I support the people around me. I felt…totally useless and infact detrimental to other players; DPS >>>>>>> support even still.

*Beserker gear/build: unsuprisingly this felt like the proper set up for the Rev….just like most other classes. While being super squishie, I am able to kill stuff so much easier/get credit. This feels like the only real gearing option that matters. Still, my thief does 5x the dps and has more survivability.

Might try condi…but I dunno, the class just does not feel fun to play. Yes the weapon swap addtion is welcome (and totally needed) however the issues I had in the previous build is still here; there is ZERO choice when it comes to skill customization beyond trait lines and even then there is clear cut choices for those that are better than others. No choice is boring, sorry. I was going to make a rev alt and probably ascend it…but idk no more, think I will just stick to ele for support and my theif for kill everything mode.

New mastery things: I got a glider, it’s kinda cool to fly around but it all feels pointless and a waste of time. I don’t think I will even bother with these at HoT launch; any unlocks I will get will be by pure accident. I find these boring. Each their own.

New area and loots; there is none, this same crap I been finding for years and that is again disappointing.

Not tried much beyond what I described and honestly I do not feel compelled to test any further; what is in these BWE can be seen in under an hour. I really do hope there is more to HoT than this, so far I am not impressed. If this is 25% of the content then I expect I will have it at least explored in a few days…k.

(edited by fixit.7189)

First Impressions of HoT

arenta.2953

-snip-

as WoW says. if its not broke. don’t fix it.

sure the gameplay is the same. but did you expect them to change it? how?
if they changed it it wouldnt be GW2 anymore.

heck. GW1 expansions all kept stuff the same. “same but more and different colors”
thats how WoW does it as well

its how CoD does it every release.

and it works.

if you don’t want HoT then thats your loss.

but ask yourself this. if you don’t like what HoT offers…WHY ARE YOU PLAYING GW2.

HoT is GW2 +more.
if you dont like HoT. then you dont like GW2.

aka, why are you here

First Impressions of HoT

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

Maguma Jungle: really boring and not much different than anything else I have seen since launch.

Maguma Mobs: lots and lots and lots of knock downs, sometimes endless chains of them. Is that really what they call ‘harder mobs’?

Maguma events; same thing as any other part of tyria but far less since most zone is still locked. Many events break too. Since there isn’t much to do here, I can’t be bothered to try to level up the new spec lines since BWE exp is pathetic and slow as molasses. /yawn

Revenant: the additions are really nice with the weapon swap added shiro line but in the end I cannot get excited about this class since I rarely use more than a couple of buttons since most are fairly useless/waste of energy….

*Celestial gear: did alright but it felt lack luster and ineffective over all.

*Cleric gear/healer build: an almost unoticable increase of heals/dmg since last build. I would not suggest anyone going this route since you have no dps and weak heals + I struggle to get credit for events/loot drops. Seriously, all I ever get is bronze no matter how much I support the people around me. I felt…useless.

*Beserker gear/build: unsuprisingly this felt like the proper set up for the Rev….just like most other classes. While being super squishie, I am able to kill stuff so much easier/get credit. This feels like the only real gearing option that matters. Still, my thief does 5x the dps and has more survivability.

Might try condi…but I dunno, the class just does not feel fun to play. Yes the weapon swap addtion is welcome (and totally needed) however the issues I had in the previous build is still here; there is ZERO choice when it comes to skill customization beyond trait lines and even then there is clear cut choices for those that are better than others. No choice is boring, sorry. I was going to make a rev alt and probably ascend it…but idk no more, think I will just stick to ele for support and my theif for kill everything mode.

New mastery things: I got a glider, it’s kinda cool to fly around but it all feels pointless and a waste of time. I don’t think I will even bother with these at HoT launch; any unlocks I will get will be by pure accident. I find these boring. Each their own.

New area and loots; there is none, this same crap I been finding for years and that is again disappointing.

Not tried much beyond what I described and honestly I do not feel compelled to test any further; what is in these BWE can be seen in under an hour. I really do hope there is more to HoT than this, so far I am not impressed. If this is 25% of the content then I expect I will have it at least explored in a few days…k.

The reasons you give confirm what I thought HoT would be like. Maybe one or two cool additions and a new set of hoops to jump through. This is why I didn’t pre-purchase. For me to drop more money on this game the expansion would have to be mindblowing.

Prehaps they’ll prove me wrong? I can always buy it later. I’m taking a wait and see approach for now.

First Impressions of HoT

SHM.7628

-snip-

as WoW says. if its not broke. don’t fix it.

sure the gameplay is the same. but did you expect them to change it? how?
if they changed it it wouldnt be GW2 anymore.

heck. GW1 expansions all kept stuff the same. “same but more and different colors”
thats how WoW does it as well

its how CoD does it every release.

and it works.

if you don’t want HoT then thats your loss.

but ask yourself this. if you don’t like what HoT offers…WHY ARE YOU PLAYING GW2.

HoT is GW2 +more.
if you dont like HoT. then you dont like GW2.

aka, why are you here

Speaking for myself, I’m here from an extended break. I liked aspects of GW2 for sure but a fanboi I am not. the game was lackluster in areas and it got old fast. Why play it? Its not an awful game and its paid for. Will I pay for an expansion? That remains to be seen.

First Impressions of HoT

Posted by: GummyBearSummoner.7941

GummyBearSummoner.7941

I really like the new map. I think its beautiful and very detailed.

I love the trash mobs. it makes you learn how not to just spam your skills randomly and actually make you think because one wrong move and you can die instantly with those mobs. I hope they don’t nerf them.

I really dislike the norn female voice in the story. It sounds like the actress isn’t even trying. like its just so dull. I really don’t understand how anet decided to give the OK on her voice.

I like what they did with necro, although I dislike the shouts, the greatsword and new deathshroud skills are really amazing (could always be improved though)

Tempest is okay but not that great. warhorn only seems to have one field (fire), and we have no blocks or reflects. I feel maybe earth overload should be a sandstorm with blinds and it might be worth using more. Also, it would be nice to have stability while channeling our overloads since it can be easily interrupted by an enemy.

As for the other classes, I cant give any comment since I have yet to really test them out.

First Impressions of HoT

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I was surprised to see no vistas. I always enjoyed getting to vistas that required some effort to get to and were rewarded with a sweeping view of their lovely world

First Impressions of HoT

arenta.2953

I was surprised to see no vistas. I always enjoyed getting to vistas that required some effort to get to and were rewarded with a sweeping view of their lovely world

now that you mention it….
wow didnt notice those missing xD

maybe they not in yet?

First Impressions of HoT

arenta.2953

gotta remember guys
what we see in beta will likely not even be 30% of the content(if they follow the vanilla formula)

First Impressions of HoT

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

Speaking for myself, I’m here from an extended break. I liked aspects of GW2 for sure but a fanboi I am not. the game was lackluster in areas and it got old fast. Why play it? Its not an awful game and its paid for. Will I pay for an expansion? That remains to be seen.

That is your good right, but the player in question clearly had already bought the expansion without seeking info and being bored of the core game, now that’s being plain stupid.

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

First Impressions of HoT

Posted by: CrimsonDX.4821

CrimsonDX.4821

I think the mobs could be toned down a bit.

First Impressions of HoT

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

After playing for a few hours, here’s a full first impression…..
- even without an elite spec, I still like my Ranger best. There is definitely some bias since I have a thousand hours on her, and maybe a hundred max on anything else.
- Gear set didn’t seem to matter. If you didn’t know what to do, you would get destroyed. I ran for awhile in both Cleric’s and Assassin’s. I was getting downed from fighting just one enemy sometimes, which kind of reminds me of Orr before it was patched to be way easier. If we had all runes and other upgrades to work with instead of a small selection, things would have been very different though.
- Bag space was annoying since 90% of it gets taken up by opening two boxes. Kind of a paradox of my previous complaint though….
- Some enemies should have had their abilities explained better, like the veteran dinosaur things that were invulnerable when attacked from the front.
- I still think the map was designed poorly. For such a large map, your confined to cramped cliff sides and passageways. the color palette is completely washed out due to there being almost nothing but greens and oranges to look at. Mobs are everywhere giving you little room to breath and enjoy the alomst nonexistent scenery anyways.
- Tigers, but no Tiger pet…..for now Anet…I am disappoint.
- map is as useless as its ever been because of the multi-layer nature of the area.
- What little of Gliding I did, I liked. Its a shame its only used in expansion areas, and you aren’t retrofitting any maps to use the mechanic in other places, and instead are placing some much less interesting things in its place.

First Impressions of HoT

fixit.7189

Been playing since vanilla beta…I still think this is the BEST mmo out there even though I been playing that other one for 10 years; each one has their pluses and minuses in my mind.

So you are saying to quit because I am unimpressed what I see so far? I won’t quit, I will soldier on but imo HoT does not really seem like much at least from what I have been shown. I would think that an expansion here would be a perfect opportunity to really flip things around but in the end nothings really changed. ie. beserker meta is still alive and well! Also, many things like these new ‘masteries’ feel like a gimmick rather than improving the over all game experience; you won’t be able to use this new fancy stuff outside of the new zone anyways. Each their own opinion man.

now that’s being plain stupid.

Gotta love people responding with personal attacks instead of debating with poise but hey that’s expected in this day and age; when in doubt, use insults. Bravo.

(edited by fixit.7189)

First Impressions of HoT

Posted by: The Great Al.2546

The Great Al.2546

The map is visually stunning. My only complaint so far is that the events seemed like more of the same…and for a large percentage of the time that I spent walking through the map, I hardly came across any events.

First Impressions of HoT

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

Gotta love people responding with personal attacks instead of debating with poise but hey that’s expected in this day and age; when in doubt, use insults. Bravo.

What is there to debate with someone who put down a beta after an hour and then complains about it. You probally spent more time on the forums already then actually testing.
At least that’s what i assume due to the ignorance of all the systems in the map, in your post.

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

(edited by Fox.3469)

First Impressions of HoT

fixit.7189

More insults, gee whizz!

8 hours and counting testing the new stuff; quit assuming things.

Switched to test ele and enjoying myself a whole lot more so it’s not all bad; really love the ele additions! It’s awesome.

p.s. clearly someone here is looking for an internet fight and I am unwilling to participate; have a good day fox.

(edited by fixit.7189)

First Impressions of HoT

Posted by: Fluffy Ferocious.9807

Fluffy Ferocious.9807

Highs:

Visuals. The updated art in the environments, animations for skills, and design of the enemies were great. Definitely an upgrade from an already gorgeous game.
Chronomancer – the shield, wells, and continuum split are a blast to play. And 25% speed boost, finally!
Revenant – 2 swords is a lot of fun. Especially love mace/axe though.
Reaper – lots of fun to play this one, especially when chaining the skills, elite, and shroud together for a bazillion seconds of chill.
Verdant Brink Environment – one thing I feel has been lost in GW2 from GW1 was the sense of exploration – there are so many waypoints that there isn’t an incentive to walk the map anymore. VB is so labyrinthine and with the glider it appears there will be a much greater need and desire to explore.
Gliding – no explanation necessary I think.
Story Mode looks very promising and I like that my character is interacting real time in the cut scenes.
Enemies – love the pocket raptors, mushroom people, and mounted baddies the most.

Lows:

Dragonhunter – it just didn’t have a good feel to me. The range options seemed kinda weak and the only trap I really liked much was the elite.
Tempest – all of the other specializations felt like they took the professions in a bold new direction. Tempest did NOT feel that way to me at all. Felt like more of the same and the shouts seem very underpowered to me. I do like the air, water, and earth overcharges. Fire was meh.
Shiro Spec – Kinda weak in comparison to Mallyx and the Great Dwarf, in my opinion. And what is the point of the staff on this proff? It’s a nerf staff.
Map Rewards – I was hoping the new map rewards would give me reason to go back to the lower level zones. Getting a T3 mat isn’t carrot enough. Very disappointed. Also – unclear on exactly how those work. Seemed spotty.
Verdant Brink Events seem broken? At least some of them. To be expected in beta, so not too worried about this.

Overall the highs far outweighed the lows to me and the lows aren’t low enough to keep me from getting more acquainted with them. All in all the beta was a great showcase of the upcoming game and I’m eager to play the real thing! Great work!

First Impressions of HoT

arenta.2953

oh god i forgot the pocket raptors.
remind me to get a mini for them xD

First Impressions of HoT

SHM.7628

What is there to debate with someone who put down a beta after an hour and then complains about it. You probally spent more time on the forums already then actually testing.
At least that’s what i assume due to the ignorance of all the systems in the map, in your post.

It’s Ok to praise it but not put it down? He gave his honest assessment. Of course it’s his opinion. Opinions are subjective.

First Impressions of HoT

SHM.7628

That is your good right, but the player in question clearly had already bought the expansion without seeking info and being bored of the core game, now that’s being plain stupid.

Not necessarily, He may just not like what he sees in the expansion. Many people (probably most people) pre-purchased the core game on good faith and developer promises.

Whether or not its good or bad, The final game will likely be nothing like the Beta anyway. The core game underwent massive changes from what it was originally. Time will tell.

First Impressions of HoT

Posted by: Xernth.8561

Xernth.8561

Just started in the new area, do these people ever stop talking so the game can be played?