Flax and linseed oil

Flax and linseed oil

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: hibari.9836

hibari.9836

I know there’s plans to address the costs for scribe and guild hall decorations, but I don’t know if this change is on the table. Please though, anet, for the love of god, reduce the number of flax seed required to make one vial of linseed oil.

20 piles of flax seed for one vial is just too much. 10 or even 15 would be much more reasonable.

Our (small, 5 person) guild recently managed to get a guild hall and we know that being small the upgrades are going to take us a long time, but we’ve been managing to chip away.

Now though, we’re having to park all our alts at the flax node farms and spend all our time running around farming flax for linseed oil, and it’s still going at a snail’s pace, even with all of us pooling our resources. And looking ahead it doesn’t seem like matters are going to improve.

We’re just trying to build a workshop now, but then what? Vials of linseed oil are upwards of 80 silver each on the trading post and a basic finishing kit for scribe takes 6 of them. That’s just totally out of line. We shouldn’t be feeling discouraged with a whole crafting discipline before even unlocking it.

Flax and linseed oil

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

I doubt you’ll get much sympathy.

Vials of Linseed Oil were at over 10g a piece at HoT launch (and Flax was at 15-20s a piece).

So Vials being now at 80s a piece is a huge decrease in cost.

Flax and linseed oil

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Maybe it’s a huge decrease in cost, but even now that cost is simply too great. Flax, dust, resonating slivers and pigments requirements for guildhall do need to be addressed. Either by reducing requirements, or by increasing supply.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Flax and linseed oil

Cyninja.2954

Maybe it’s a huge decrease in cost, but even now that cost is simply too great. Flax, dust, resonating slivers and pigments requirements for guildhall do need to be addressed. Either by reducing requirements, or by increasing supply.

Says who?

Maybe arenanet like where the costs are at the moment. Maybe having everything available for 20 copper is not what makes a balanced economy…

Flax and linseed oil

hibari.9836

Yeah, that’s exactly right. The fact that the price was completely astronomical before doesn’t change that it’s still too high now. The devs have acknowledged this.

I’m just suggesting that reducing the number of flax seed that need to go into one linseed oil would be a good way to reduce the sting of what currently feels like a really punishing grind needed to get something that’s functioning as a pretty basic material.

Flax and linseed oil

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

I think Anet devs have missed the chance to drastically reduce the mats in the first step of Scribing (e.g. making Linseed Oil), but nevertheless, there will be an update to make Scribing costs go down (a bit). Ruby announced that at the beginning of last week’s Guild Chat.

The problem with Linseed Oil is, that it is
a) limited to HoT maps only (+ WvW & GH nodes)
b) used in a lot of upgrades
c) usually used in very large quantities per upgrade compared to other mats

To address that Anet will either have to reduce over all costs (expect an uproar from those who paid for upgrades already) or add more chances to gain Flax (+ Sand and Pigments).

To be honest, I don’t like them to mess with the loot tables (too many chances to break stuff) and hope they will add a “once a day” Karma Vendor to either LA or GH that sells 12 Flax, 2 Flax Fibers, 12 Coarse Sand and a random Pigment. That would allow a time-gate to limit the influx on the current “economy” and give small guilds (and WvW guilds) to gradually gain materials over time for upgrades.

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)

Flax and linseed oil

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

i parked 9 toons at the flax farm, so far, i have gotten about 8k flax through these 9 toons
this also include flax gotten through wintersday chest
this also include very very tiny amount of flax gotten through openworld since i didnt do HOT much

so yea, it will take a very long time for 5-men to get enough flax to power up everything

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Flax and linseed oil

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

The fewer people in the guild, the more investment it will require.
The more people in the guild, the more whipping it will require.

Put all those unused alts at flax farm and do them daily. Not just you, everyone.

Flax and linseed oil

hibari.9836

I think the point is that, regardless of how many people there are in the guild, requiring TWENTY of any single mat that you gain by harvesting to refine ONE of a thing that is a basic component in a crafting discipline is exponentially higher than the ratio required for any other basic crafting material in the game.

The ratio of flax to linseed is totally out of whack. Whatever other changes are being made to scribing, that ratio can and should be fixed.

Flax and linseed oil

Astralporing.1957

Says who?

Maybe arenanet like where the costs are at the moment.

Well, they have admitted that both leveling up scribe and making decorations are too costly now, and they are planning to address it, so i guess they at least partially agree with me already.

Actions, not words.

Flax and linseed oil

Cyninja.2954

Says who?

Well, they have admitted that both leveling up scribe and making decorations are too costly now, and they are planning to address it, so i guess they at least partially agree with me already.

So arenanet deciding that a crafting proffession that requires a couple of hundred to thousands of gold due to bazillion of very expensive ingredients and a workbench that is not openly available (with insane requirements) is now proof that 1 ingredient is overpriced.

Cool story bro.

Flax and linseed oil

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

I’ve been thinking flax req should be reduced to 10 for a while.
Thinking about how many of thousands of flax needed for a hall I kinda want it reduced to 5. But 10 would still be a good improvement.

I understand that there are vendors gated behind gathering glad/linseed which directly reduce the cost of scribing. So making these cheaper to get would directly reduce the scribe cost.

This and pigment req reduced to 1 from 10 on scribing kits..

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Flax and linseed oil

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I think they should just remove all material costs from game. They could just be tokens we can link in chat for bragging rights.

Flax and linseed oil

Astralporing.1957

Says who?

So arenanet deciding that a crafting proffession that requires a couple of hundred to thousands of gold due to bazillion of very expensive ingredients and a workbench that is not openly available (with insane requirements) is now proof that 1 ingredient is overpriced.

Cool story bro.

Cool story, bro. If you have read more carefully what i have written, you’d have noticed i was talking about more than one component. And yes, most of the prices and difficulty of scribing is a fault of those 4 components i mentioned.

Actions, not words.

Flax and linseed oil

Posted by: Blindfoldedchaos.9265

Blindfoldedchaos.9265

I know there’s plans to address the costs for scribe and guild hall decorations, but I don’t know if this change is on the table. Please though, anet, for the love of god, reduce the number of flax seed required to make one vial of linseed oil.

20 piles of flax seed for one vial is just too much. 10 or even 15 would be much more reasonable.

Our (small, 5 person) guild recently managed to get a guild hall and we know that being small the upgrades are going to take us a long time, but we’ve been managing to chip away.

Now though, we’re having to park all our alts at the flax node farms and spend all our time running around farming flax for linseed oil, and it’s still going at a snail’s pace, even with all of us pooling our resources. And looking ahead it doesn’t seem like matters are going to improve.

We’re just trying to build a workshop now, but then what? Vials of linseed oil are upwards of 80 silver each on the trading post and a basic finishing kit for scribe takes 6 of them. That’s just totally out of line. We shouldn’t be feeling discouraged with a whole crafting discipline before even unlocking it.

Linseed is expensive as its only found on HoT maps and such is priced higher..
Upgrades take a long time, but guild halls are a grind fest with little rewards in between, telling you now, unless you have something like the market and the decoration trader, you have a loooooong way to go when it comes to scribing my friend.

Flax and linseed oil

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

Agree – 240 Flax for 4 kegs!! Thats just insane – and those kegs are needed for huge ammounts for all sorts of things in the GH, TOGHETHER with even more huge ammounts of Elder Wood logs. Such a cheap gold sink. Nice treatment of Guilds that doesn’t have many Active members working on the GH or small Guilds. I aint gonna do it.

Lower the ammount of flax needed for making kegs at least. Othewise the intire game will be a flax-grind-fest if u ever wanna get anywhere with u’r GH = not fun.

Kima & Co

Flax and linseed oil

Posted by: Koomaster.9176

Koomaster.9176

I currently run 9 chracters through the VB flax farm and the TD flax farm. Every day I’m able to make 12-15 vials of linseed oil. It’s not that big of a time investment especially for something your guild needs.

Make alts, level them, go go go.

Flax and linseed oil

Astralporing.1957

So, it’s perfectly okay… if you can put aside 9 alts just for farming it? Seriously?
And how exactly it’s going to make this game less of a “flax-grind fest”?

Actions, not words.

Flax and linseed oil

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Just because I can park most of my alts there doesn’t mean I want to do that.

I agree with the cost getting a reduction. Even reducing it to 10 Flax Seeds per vial would be nice.

(edited by Nilkemia.8507)

Flax and linseed oil

hibari.9836

Making alts and leveling them just to park them at a node farm to get what’s needed for a single basic mat? Kind of sounds like evidence of something being broken, doesn’kitten