Foes ability activation bar

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Dantert.1803

Dantert.1803

I saw many other people having problems with the crowded battles due to the effects on the screen.
I think that adding the ability charging bar like it was in gw1 would solve at least part of the problem.
That way you are able to see the skill activating under the enemy life and you are able to use your skills of dodge accordingly even if you can’t see clearly the movements of the enemy.
You can see what I mean under the mallyx life in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZooidsVHVGc
Please support this!!

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

I don’t know if they want to do that, but I’d love the activation bar back. Helped someone with crummy eyes like me know what was going on. I think they wanted to avoid having people staring at the UI (like the red bar game with healing) and watch the actual game more.

But watching the game has become watching a bizarre light show.

(edited by Mo Mo.1947)

Posted by: Fay the Dark.2854

Fay the Dark.2854

Good idea! All the particle effects make it almost impossible to see what is going on

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

Guys, this is another unnecessary thread about a clear L2P issue.
As the attached images, an example from a recent fractal run, illustrate, reading the telegraphed ability activations is not an issue in GW2.

… Wait a moment….

Attachments:

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

Dantert.1803

I mean, it’s not just only about the fact that you can’t see what the foe is doing but also to give more importance to stun and other control skills, we even have a skill on the daredevil that slows down the ability that interrupts, but maybe, with the bar where you can see the skill you’re interrupting you can plan better your actions.

Posted by: Zalavaaris.5329

Zalavaaris.5329

In regards to the pictures shown I’d love to have all of my damage numbers in a nice orderly column that I can position on the screen as I choose. Having them just pop up is quite intrusive on gameplay as you have just shown.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Yeah the screens point out a raging flaw that’s literally on top of all the other visual trouble created by massively occlusive skill effects: Why are the damage numbers ON the enemy instead of ABOVE the enemy?

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

I’ve always been a fan of being able to turn down effects, but not for the same reasons. The idea behind an MMO is to have as many players in your game as possible, some players (myself not included) do not have to $ to go out any buy a top of the line gaming rig. Turning down effects drastically reduces lag, some people don’t play certain games because they just can’t, the lag is to bad. Allowing effect scaling would probably net Anet more customers.

Posted by: Rabe.2456

Rabe.2456

As the attached images, an example from a recent fractal run, illustrate, reading the telegraphed ability activations is not an issue in GW2.

… Wait a moment….

I’m sorry that I can’t +1 you more than once.

Dantert.1803

Gotta agree with Rabe XD that made me lol

Posted by: PlatinumMember.5274

PlatinumMember.5274

… Wait a moment….

The argument you are making is valid, the pictures you choose are discriminatory. It seems you intentionally choose pictures from a FOV that suited your comment making it far worse than it seems.

It is bad, but your frame of reference is disingenuous.

Dantert.1803

Okok guys! Can we focus on the topic of this post please?
Do you guys think that the skill activation bar on foes would help making the combat better?

Posted by: Quells.2498

Quells.2498

There’s really no reason to not let us turn off combat graphics if we choose. It increases pc performance and allows us to focus on what is going on much easier. I pointed this out three years ago in the beta so don’t get your hopes up though.

Leader of Contre [VS], just a bunch of zen adults
focus on Dungeons, Fractals and Raiding.

Posted by: Kevnikov.6458

Kevnikov.6458

Yup, I think an activation bar would be great. The defiance/break bar already means we have to look at UI, why not add activation bar too

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

GW2 will never have an enemy skill activation bar. Remember how GW1 became a contest of who had the lowest ping + fastest interrupt scripts in competition?

To this day it is still a huge problem, and its really obvious Anet has abandoned efforts to catch them

The best part is you can still always catch one visually when in spectator mode

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Posted by: KotCR.6024

KotCR.6024

I think they wanted to avoid having people staring at the UI (like the red bar game with healing) and watch the actual game more.

Yes, this is exactly why they removed it. I remember them saying as much when somebody mentioned it around the time of the original GW2 pre-release Betas.
Can’t remember if it was via a post or in an interview though, and I don’t care enough to look for it, but I know this is what they said.

Personally though, I’d like to see the return of the enemy ability bar too. No need to have it in PvP if they want to prevent ping-interrupt wars though. It was a cool feature in the original GW1 that made the interrupt playstyle far more viable, and with the incredible strength and neccessity of dodging mob attacks in GW2, IMO I can’t see how it’d do anything but benefit the game and increase the possibility of skilled play (as seriously, with all the particle effects you really can’t see what’s going on otherwise many a time).

It’ was also interesting to see the names of the enemy’s attacks, there was always a couple ones with funny or amusing names in GW1 that if the same was done in GW2 you’d never know that what they were.

Posted by: NapTooN.6283

NapTooN.6283

It’ was also interesting to see the names of the enemy’s attacks, there was always a couple ones with funny or amusing names in GW1 that if the same was done in GW2 you’d never know that what they were.

Let them hit you and check the Log afterwards :-P

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Let them hit you and check the Log afterwards :-P

Yes, that’s how the community got the name of the Jungle Dragon long before HoT or LS1 even started, by the name of one of Subject Alpha’s attacks. The Earth ring attack called Teeths of Mordremoth in the combat log.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

When I see well-reasoned and logical threads such as this I get all excited and then remember that all of this stuff has been ignored for years. We got the first person camera though! Combat effects just need to have an option to be turned off. If they won’t allow for that then a combat bar is a good idea. They seem so tied to not cluttering the screen up, it’s funny that their visual clutter in the form of skill effects never gets addressed. This and Ranger Pet fixes to AI and what commands we can use for them are two of my biggest issues along with Profession bugs that have been in the game since launch.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

The argument you are making is valid, the pictures you choose are discriminatory. It seems you intentionally choose pictures from a FOV that suited your comment making it far worse than it seems.

It is bad, but your frame of reference is disingenuous.

I chose my camera settings for the best overview, your mileage my vary, ofc. I assure you, the pictures are quite representative for my experience.
They show both the particle effects and the damage floater impairing sight on the target.

I admit, however, a certain deal of sarcasm, which, I hope, will suffice to spice the debate yet not to derail it. This kind of humor is my permanent life- and sanity-saver.

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.