For those who can't afford $50

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Barzah.8019

Barzah.8019

Don’t hit the preorder button, just wait until they released the HoT release date. Obv @net also know that the current expansion price will hurt people who live outside USA (development country, SEA region, even Middle East and Africa) that already bought the vanilla client, which result in many of them refuse to buy the expansion client = less income for @net.

Posted by: ShelBlackblood.7826

ShelBlackblood.7826

I haven’t counted how often it was already explained in this forum that this whole turmoil has nothing to do with “We can’t afford it!!1!1!11!”

Geez… read at least half an hour in various threads and you know we critic/vets are not as poor as every HoT defender might think of us.

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

$50 is a night out, a tank of gas, a bag of groceries, or a video game on ANY system.

What did you expect?

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Fair treatment and not having ANet taking my money for granted.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

The price isn’t the problem… the value is. Well price is a little bit of the problem but not the main problem. It is priced too high in relation to other expansions. But more importantly it simply isn’t worth $50 right now and anet is too quiet about telling us what is in it to justify any sort of price close to that at the moment.

Posted by: Omocha.4931

Omocha.4931

There are f2p games of roughly the same quality as GW2 that just got fresh updates. And the non-paying customers there are treated just as the veterans are treated here. There are plenty other options beside begging this publisher for common sense or throwing everyone who disagrees at Blizzard or Square Enix. Biggest sharks are most dangerous, hm?! Better to just be slightly annoyed when bitten by a mosquito

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

It’s never been about affordability.

Posted by: Phoenixlin.8624

Phoenixlin.8624

For those who can’t understand that the real problem is not pricing:

Please press the logout button and ask forgiveness from your English teachers.

Posted by: Jitsuryoku.9038

Jitsuryoku.9038

For those who can’t afford $50
…………

Hi! Would you like a [Banana]? It’s 20$! The price is totally legit in some regions around the world. I know you can afford it, so what’s the issue?

Posted by: Channel.9402

Channel.9402

If everyone need to pay 100usd just to get the expansion i’d pay for it. But i won’t pay to be treated like some 2nd class customer. But frankly after 2 days, i don’t think i’ll continue to play or support anet even if they launch HoT for free now. Unless they manage to move me with their PR damage control which i doubt it.
Sincerity and trust is quite lacking from their side.

Posted by: Ranatoa.4869

Ranatoa.4869

There are just as many threads about the cost being to high as there are about any of the other several issues people have with it.

Also that would be Reading Comprehension, it has nothing to do with English

Dinks.2478

There are just as many threads about the cost being to high as there are about any of the other several issues people have with it.

The price being too high does mean people can’t afford it.

price
pr?s/
noun
noun: price; plural noun: prices

the amount of money expected, required, or given in payment for something.

val·ue
?valyo?o/
noun
noun: value; plural noun: values

the regard that something is held to deserve; the importance, worth, or usefulness of something.

Cost and Value are too separate things. What is the value of HoT? We simply do not know. Anet hasn’t given us any useful information to determine it’s worth. How can we know if it is worth a value of $50 if we don’t know what is in it? Just because you can afford $50 doesn’t mean you will spend it on something not worth $50. I can afford $50 but I wouldn’t buy kitten milk shake. Because a milk shake isn’t worth $50.

Posted by: Ranatoa.4869

Ranatoa.4869

That seems like a more accurate explanation to me. And I agree, we don’t know what we are getting so it’s difficult to justify the cost. Hopefully we will start getting more information on new content again after E3 (not forgetting guild halls which they seem to have done a genuinely excellent job on).

DresdenAllblack.1249

Correct. We DO NOT know. It could be brilliance. It might be utter kitten.
We go to movies not knowing the plot.
We buy books only seeing the cover.
I will listen to the value argument a week after release.

Crystal Desert

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

But the cost issue is not about affordability. It’s about the value offered for the price, which is a completely different issue.

Posted by: MMOGamer.6175

MMOGamer.6175

Another poster who doesn’t understand the issue, much like Anet.

Glad ArenaNet isn’t a car dealership.
You would have to rebuy your old car packaged with your new car.

Dinks.2478

Atually, I usually know the basic plot to a movie. I also figure out what genre a book is and read the back before a purchase. You know that old saying don’t judge a book by it’s cover?

Do you really just walk into stores and buy stuff without any knowledge of what you’re buying? Because if you do, I have these magical beans to sell you.

DresdenAllblack.1249

I buy book by author, usually go to movie based on actor and/or director.
All of my decision making based on prior works.
My decision to buy the $100 version of HoT was based on the GW2 core game.
Which despite all our jabs is a fantastic game.
(and yes I understand this could’ve and should’ve been handled better by Anet)

Crystal Desert

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

For those who can’t afford $50
…………

Hi! Would you like a [Banana]? It’s 20$! The price is totally legit in some regions around the world. I know you can afford it, so what’s the issue?

If I did run a bussiness and I would hope to b able to sell something I would choose a price that would make my merchendice sell and also be a profit for me. This Banana of yours is it special or why does it cost so mutch? I would rather go to another trader and buy a banan than buy it from you. This is my choice. Now if you think that the expac isn’t worth 50$ don’t buy it, it is your choice. Now if you realy REALY wanna play GW2:HoT you might be concidering buying it? Well it is still your choice. In the end if you think that Anet made a bad move, well don’t buy it. It is their loss. But what if people are actually okay with 50$? Well it’s their win.

I think 50$ is overpirced but I really want the expac and the Betatests so I will pay for it, my partner though, she will wait for the release and hope that it will be cheaper by then, since she is in no rush.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

DresdenAllblack.1249

I can afford $50 but I wouldn’t buy kitten milk shake. Because a milk shake isn’t worth $50.

Lol, actually I would try that milkshake. Would have to see what a fifty shake tastes like!

Crystal Desert

DresdenAllblack.1249

I have never seen a video game that sold for less than $50 on release.
Are you optimist or a pessimist?
If its little more than skill changes and a map pack than its insanely over-priced and they will lose two-thirds of their population. If its all we can expect it CAN BE, I for one will be stealing money from Anet with the amount of hours I put in.

Crystal Desert

Posted by: Aeon.4583

Aeon.4583

Well since there is talking about movies, comparing that to expansion. I watched Iron man ( first movie, it was good ) in cinema (movie theatre, if you prefer that word for it). Then i heard about 2nd movie, and i noticed a actor re-placement, and i understood that movie will be bad ( and it was bad ). Now we see, arena.net have made a rule: first buy original game, then buy expansion. few days later they have changed that rule. Got my point? It is kinda actor replacement for bad movie.

Posted by: Jaetara.4075

Jaetara.4075

50 euros here is 1/8 of my salary! For such a small expansion and without any bonuses at least for the veteran players this price hurts me…

Posted by: Taiyoroku.1028

Taiyoroku.1028

Actually all arguments are pretty valid. On my case all my family members play, but all of them have jobs and savings so 100 USD is not a issue, actually we just play GW2 (like we play the 1s one) because is a not subs MMO, so we understand the diference with WoW or FF and the “need” for release “new” contents for time to time. that been said I UNDERSTAND WHY VETERAN PLAYERS are kitten, and thats the very same reason why so many people are here… THEY CANT AFFORD MONTHLY PAYMENTS, or like me DONT LIKE IT.

I’m gonna support Anet by buying, but hear me, theres a lot of good (even better) games on Pre-order right now, go buy Fallout 4, or wait for the FF VII release, what the hell go crazy and buy from ubicrap and Electronic Crap, now that they going to release a new mass effect.

in other words, fight for your rights veterans! and some how i found the tittle of this forum some how elitist and discriminatory.

Posted by: Eagle.7208

Eagle.7208

Lol..

This sums it up..
http://puu.sh/itAcM/bffe1e0ea4.png

P.s- Retail sites already offering this game at discounted rates

http://www.gamecard.mobi/guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-addon-pc.html?___store=default&a_aid=ckw

http://www.gamesdeal.com/guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-addon-pc.html?___store=english&a_aid=ckw

Atleast EU players can pay with dollars there and benefit from a normal price, rather then getting double screwed.. And guess what, these sites atleast give us the release date (late december 2015)

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

$50 is not the issue for some of us. However, there is enough posts explaining these issues, do some research, read up, get educated on why people aren’t happy.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I haven’t counted how often it was already explained in this forum that this whole turmoil has nothing to do with “We can’t afford it!!1!1!11!”

Geez… read at least half an hour in various threads and you know we critic/vets are not as poor as every HoT defender might think of us.

It’s meant as an insult, not to be taken literally.

Posted by: BladeNinja.4671

BladeNinja.4671

You should probably go read the other forum post and comments. For the bulk of us veteran players. Affordability isn’t the problem. I not going to go into details as everyone else has already stated above… but this expansion, especially with what it’s offering at Standard is not worth the 50 dollars to vets of the game…

Aura Slicer X Thief. Pvp svr 007 Oh wait! i’m not suppose to tell you that!

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

Lol..

This sums it up..
http://puu.sh/itAcM/bffe1e0ea4.png

P.s- Retail sites already offering this game at discounted rates

http://www.gamecard.mobi/guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-addon-pc.html?___store=default&a_aid=ckw

http://www.gamesdeal.com/guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-addon-pc.html?___store=english&a_aid=ckw

Atleast EU players can pay with dollars there and benefit from a normal price, rather then getting double screwed.. And guess what, these sites atleast give us the release date (late december 2015)

That first link is pretty accurate for one of the key issues.

DresdenAllblack.1249

Iron Man 2 was bad?
And other than the character slot, what do vets deserve?
If the argument is price or value, we will have this discussion in another month or two.

Crystal Desert

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

Movies and books are consumables. To know what they contain, you must consume them first, and consuming them is what you are paying for in the first place. They still let you know the duration of the movie, the cast, show you a trailer. As for the book, you can read it for free in the store, that’s a bad example.

Here, nobody asked for a transcript of the plot and dialogue, screenshots of all in-game locations and gameplay footage of all new content. We don’t even know how much content we are getting and when we are getting it.

A better analogy would be if a restaurant offered a meal for $50, but they won’t tell you how many courses you will get, what’s their cuisine or even when it’s going to happen. They only tell you there’s going to be some meat (probably).

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Iron Man 2 was bad?
And other than the character slot, what do vets deserve?
If the argument is price or value, we will have this discussion in another month or two.

The core GW2 game has some value. Some pretty high value I’d say even.

Veteran players own that. What they deserve is not a decision that robs them of the value of the core GW2, either through the gimmick that pretends the core has no value at all (it’s free now!) or through the fact we buy a bundle containing the core + HoT but do not receive the first.

As such, people will probably complain a lot until they get offered something in return for that core GW2 item they own. For some, a simple char slot might very well be enough to silence any complains.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Some would accept a slot and be totally satisfied.

Others don’t feel the need but really would have liked that core key for an alt account.
Because they feel like they’re paying for it.
Anet can call it free for new players all they want.
But there’s the understanding with bundles that all parts are factored in in some way.

We know nothing is ever “free”
So we’re paying for it.
But then we don’t get it.

This is a perception and marketing 101 thing that could have so easily been avoided with a little thought.

A couple of methods:
Simply add a character slot to the basic version.
Very simple, but there are of course people who don’t “need” it and would complain it wasn’t something else, but far less would feel like they were getting the short end of the stick.

Separate the Core and HoT purchase into two keys
Yes, we have the core and don’t “need” it, but we then feel like we got what we paid for, and the more hardcore can use it as an alt account (yes it’s extra storage space without buying bank tabs, but if we’ve already bought all tab upgrades and still want more space? we may end up putting more gems into the alt account to build it up over time, meaning more money) while the rest can give it to a friend (who may get into the game and buy the expansion and or gems)
Win-Win-Win

Just add 800 gems to the lower two tiers (maybe for upgrade only?) (and maybe add a core key option to the gem store)
This would allow people to choose which option they’d like to take.
Makes both groups feel special, they get something they’d really like and would be most useful
Win-Win

This is fixable and I don’t think it has to be a huge deal.
It wasn’t an intentional slap to loyal fans, it was a nice gesture for new players and they just didn’t think about how it would look
They just need be forward, hey guys we stepped on some toes, we totally didn’t mean to do that we just wanted to do something nice for new players, we love you guys and we’ve got you covered.
That’s it!

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

$50 is a night out, a tank of gas, a bag of groceries, or a video game on ANY system.

What did you expect?

Exactly, a VIDEO GAME not an EXPANSION.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

Posted by: Curae.1837

Curae.1837

My main issues are that
1. We don’t know how much content we’re getting for these $50, with what we currently know I find the price quite high.
2. We don’t know when it releases.
3. I too would like a small extra like a character slot for current players like a character slot.

I think it’s a great gesture to give new players the core game for free along with the expansion, it helps new players to get in without missing out on newer things. But throw the currently players a bone as well and most of the drama will most likely be gone.

“When we remember that we are all mad.
The mysteries dissapear and life stands explained.”

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

What did you expect?

That’s the regular price for any expansion of ……WoW.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

You are very young, and haven’t bought many games yet, right? Either that, or you are talking about the console games, that have always been overpriced compared to the PC ones.
This one is very costly. And besides, the price is only part of the problem – and not even the biggest one.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

papry.8096

Click here
Now you saw one.

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

What did you expect?

That’s the regular price for any expansion of ……WoW.

Since this game is not wow, and there is no chance in hell it could get away with having a monthly fee, i dont see how that is relevant.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

Posted by: Trinnitty.8256

Trinnitty.8256

You consider Maguma jungle an expansion? That is some low expectations. I consider expansion Cantha or Elona. you really think HoT($50) is going to have almost same amount of content we have now gw2($60)? they can’t even tell us if we’ll get the crytal desert with this expansion or if thats going to be next $50 expansion.

Posted by: skowcia.8257

skowcia.8257

Click here
Now you saw one.

I dindt excepted that..but it actually looks interesing and cool O.o something must be wrong with me. Either way just bought it! And that beautiful soundtrack…

obey me

Posted by: Wolfey.3407

Wolfey.3407

Hey that $10 people are complaining about can buy almost two cups of coffee from Starbucks.

Former PvP Forum Specialist
2015-2016
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

Hey that $10 people are complaining about can buy almost two cups of coffee from Starbucks.

Another overpriced product. Apt comparison.

Barzah.8019

Nope, banana price is around $3 on my country and that also quite expensive y know. So yeah there is an issue with the HoT price.

papry.8096

Click here
Now you saw one.

I dindt excepted that..but it actually looks interesing and cool O.o something must be wrong with me. Either way just bought it! And that beautiful soundtrack…

You are welcome.

Barzah.8019

$30 for an expansion is much more logical than $50, assuming that HOT is just one of many expansion GW2 has.

Posted by: dank.3680

dank.3680

What did you expect?

A video games worth of content maybe? That’s not what is coming, so why does it cost a video game’s price?

#MAGSWAG: All class player. XOXO

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

What did you expect?

$50USD is also a months wage in China, I’m betting they don’t charge that for HoT over there.

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

If it’s the value that is the problem…why not just wait for more information? No one is forcing you to buy it now, that is the nature of prepurchase. Sheesh.

NSPride <3