Forums Filled With Complaining

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

We’re complaining because HoT introduced a lot of systems that make the game not the same as it was before the expansion released.

It is no longer “play how you want.” It is now “you must play with a huge glob of people you don’t know and do instanced content.”

And don’t forget to include the term grindfest !! You can’t simply pick up an alt and try out the new specializations because you need to go grind a ton of hero points …. boring.

Sure you can spvp is a thing my friend.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Your complaining about complaining and I’m complaining about your complaining about the complaining on the forums.

Nobody complain about my complaining.

To be fair, this isn’t really a complaint about complaining.

It is a request for Anet to fix the issues, so the complaining isn’t necessary anymore.

That’s a reasonable enough request.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Tigaseye.2047

Let’s be honest: ANet included raids because players asked for them. They made HoT harder because players asked for challenging content. They added masteries and hero points because players complained that there wasn’t much left to do once you reach a certain point in the game. Of course ANet made mistakes in the way they implemented these things, but you can’t deny that GW2 becoming more and more like most other 08/15 MMOs is because many players want GW2 to be like other MMOs. This is what happens when developers listen too much to their players.

What I don’t understand is why these devs (not just Anet devs – pretty much ALL devs) STILL don’t seem to get that one type of person’s opinion isn’t, necessarily, as representative of the playbase, as a whole, as another’s.

Surely, they must have noticed, by now, that a certain type of player – let’s call them “hardcore” – tends to comment about games, on the internet, far more often than another type – let’s call them “casual” – ever does.

They MUST have noticed this, surely?!

…and yet, they seem to treat all comments as if they were created equal and are all equally representative of the playerbase make-up, as a whole.

Despite all the mounting evidence to the contrary, all around them…

I just don’t get it.

I don’t even, really, consider myself to be a true “casual” – I play far too much and even “real” raided, a bit, in WoW.

But, this is ridiculous.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: Pezz.4758

Pezz.4758

Let’s be honest: ANet included raids because players asked for them. They made HoT harder because players asked for challenging content. They added masteries and hero points because players complained that there wasn’t much left to do once you reach a certain point in the game. Of course ANet made mistakes in the way they implemented these things, but you can’t deny that GW2 becoming more and more like most other 08/15 MMOs is because many players want GW2 to be like other MMOs. This is what happens when developers listen too much to their players.

What I don’t understand is why these devs (not just Anet devs – pretty much ALL devs) STILL don’t seem to get that one type of person’s opinion isn’t, necessarily, as representative of the playbase, as a whole, as another’s.

Surely, they must have noticed, by now, that a certain type of player – let’s call them “hardcore” – tends to comment about games, on the internet, far more often than another type – let’s call them “casual” – ever does.

…and yet, they seem to treat all comments as if they were created equal and are all equally representative of the playerbase make-up, as a whole.

I just don’t get it.

its not just Anet alot of companies do this
what i dont understand AT ALL is this is the same umbrella company as wildstar

wildstar, i game that MARKETED from day 1 as hardcore old school MMO
FAILED MISERABLY . And now GW2, arguably the most casual friendly, relaxed
no set goal chill out MMO is trying to adopt a more hardcore approach?
if a game strictly marketed as such failed, how did t hey think the homebase for all the people who left raid games like wow, wildstar FF would fair? i honestly cant even begin to fathom how this was thought to be a good idea.

Tigaseye.2047

I just don’t get it.

if a game strictly marketed as such failed, how did they think the homebase for all the people who left raid games like wow, wildstar FF would fair? i honestly cant even begin to fathom how this was thought to be a good idea.

I know – absolutely.

I was thinking about Wildstar as I wrote that, actually.

I never played it, but from what I understand, it is basically a combination of the least widely popular things from WoW and GW2.

A good combination of WoW and GW2 could (and should) be absolutely amazing.

…and yet, apparently, they managed to get it completely wrong.

Almost, literally, the opposite of what it should have been.

…and then they do the same here? O.o

Bizarre.

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

I’d rather have people complaining than be silent…that’s when you know the game has gone down the kittenter

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

(edited by Lunar Sunset.8742)

Posted by: Traumwind.3487

Traumwind.3487

A good combination of WoW and GW2 could and should be absolutely amazing.

Amazing for us. But that’s unfortunately not their goal. The goal is to amaze the share holders. So the first priority of Anet, maybe by order of NCSOFT, is to maximize profit, not to maximize the fun for players, nor maximize the size of the player base.

This HoT expansion is so bad (my personal and subjective opinion), because it’s constructed not to let you smile and happily open your eyes, but to open your wallet and let them smile. And it’s bad in a technical way, too, because it’s an unfinished product, a festival of bugs, that was rushed on the market too early.

Sorry, but I am a very dissapointed casual gamer. And sad, cause I love this game, but fear, this expansion (better: modification) could be the beginning of it’s end…

(edited by Traumwind.3487)

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I just don’t get it.

I don’t even, really, consider myself to be a true “casual” – I play far too much and even “real” raided, a bit, in WoW.

But, this is ridiculous.

By this logic we should have had alot more nerf to raid difficulty, alot more in open world ( true we had afew)
And lowering the materials for guild halls by 90% but we havent yet.

Also we should have had mounts in game by now.

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

I just don’t get it.

if a game strictly marketed as such failed, how did they think the homebase for all the people who left raid games like wow, wildstar FF would fair? i honestly cant even begin to fathom how this was thought to be a good idea.

I know – absolutely.

I never played it, but from what I understand, it is basically a combination of the least widely popular things from WoW and GW2.

Bizarre.

Keep your WoW out of my GW2. LOL!

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

- Armor
Ascended Weapons and Armor have just been invalidated as the highest tier of weapons and armor in the game with the coming Legendary armor, which means everyone that doesn’t have ascended already has just been marginalized from any raid content and the access to their character’s final development (as things are).
- Ascended Armor accessibility essentially removed from the game
Ascended Armor, for those that have it already, means you can do raids and have access to the only dungeon content now getting much play. Simultaneously this means already having Ascended Armor means you can still hope to get into raids, be accepted by other players, and generally get on with the game.
Not having Ascended Armor means you’re basically screwed. It doesn’t drop anymore like it did and that’s increasingly been getting worse over the years. At this point if you don’t have it you don’t have a way to get it that those of us who already do have had until now.
This inaccessibility to Ascended materials is generally regarded as a money-scheme – on one hand (because you have to go to the gem store to get gold for Damask) – and a broken system that makes being so because the only place to get Empyreal Shards is from dungeons, which no one is doing because the incentive to do them (money) was removed.

Going to correct you right there, because this is 100% wrong.

1. Legendary gear is equal to Ascended. You can’t perform any better with Legendary than you can with Ascended, period, because numerically (which is what performance is determined by), they are identical. There has been and will be no gear grind since Ascended got introduced. Maybe it can be argued if Ascended rings/trinkets/backpieces later come in stat sets like Zealots or Vipers. Right now, Legendary gear is the only way to get Ascended level for some stat spreads on particular slots (and then, only backpiece).

2. Raids are doable in Exotics. It’s not balanced around that, sure, because hardcore content is always going to be balanced around the highest stats, but because the difference is so low between Ascended and Exotics, an unlucky bout of non-crits would doom you to failure just as easily as Exotics. Still, the intent was that the majority of people attempting raids were going to at minimum have Ascended amulet, rings, accessories, and backpiece, which is true for most veteran players, I would wager.

3. Ascended gear drops just as much as before everywhere with exception of Fractals, and ANet has already stated that they are addressing that, as it wasn’t intended to drop less.

4. Ascended gear is still accessible, even without gem purchases. I’m swimming in silk and T5 leather, it’s the T2 and T3 I’m having difficulties with (just like before HoT). And you know what? I can farm those now via map rewards.

5. Empyral shards come from every open-world chest when opened by a level 80. They also come from trick-or-treat bags which we once again have an abundance of available. Silverwastes is also a great spot to get them. I haven’t done dungeons in a long time, yet haven’t needed to do much hunting for shards as I’ve been keeping my crafting going.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

(edited by Drarnor Kunoram.5180)

Posted by: Goldrock.9076

Goldrock.9076

I just don’t get it.

I know – absolutely.

Bizarre.

Agreed but its too late these complainer are turning the forums into the wow forums they are almost identical now. I didnt see these forums get so negative untill they decided to make the game free.They really should restrict the forums to the payed vets or something or restrict the threads if they havnt already.Im literally gettin eye cancer from all these negative salty people who need a new past time.

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Agreed but its too late these complainer are turning the forums into the wow forums they are almost identical now. I didnt see these forums get so negative untill they decided to make the game free.They really should restrict the forums to the payed vets or something or restrict the threads if they havnt already.Im literally gettin eye cancer from all these negative salty people who need a new past time.

Actually, they already did. Everyone posting has paid for the game. Free accounts don’t get forum access.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I didnt see these forums get so negative untill they decided to make the game free.

Yet 99% of the complaints are about HoT.

Im literally gettin eye cancer from all these negative salty people who need a new past time.

Classy.

Have you considered not reading the complaint? I hear it’s a free option.

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

I payed for the game and the xpac + a kitten tone of additional money and do not like what they have turned the game into.grind grind grind.Content(RAIDS) thats meant for only a small percentage of the player base that payed for buy all.This game was casual and chilled that i played for fun and to relax.its my right as an angry frustrated consumer to complain when i don’t get what i payed for.Give us back our game,why the hell do i want to pay for someone else to play content.

(edited by eldrin.6471)

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

People complain when they want change in a game they play.

People that don’t complain are either enjoying it or have left.

Without the numbers I cannot say, but I know for sure that ANet would rather have complaints over an empty game. Offering suggestions is always a plus, but some players are just frustrated so they vent; IMO there is no harm in it.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I’d rather have people complaining than be silent…that’s when you know the game has gone down the kittenter

Pretty much this. When an MMO’s forums go silent, it isn’t a sign of happy players not posting.

It’s a sign of people not playing.

They’ve moved on.

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

I think our biggest issue with seeing the flood of complaints on the forums is the lack of developer response since launch. In the past, I could look under the “What are the Devs Saying” feature, and find two or three dozen responses. Since HoT dropped though it seems like our “community oriented developers” have gone into hiding. I know they’ve been busy, and I know they’ve got a ton of work on their plates, but it would be nice to see at least a response or two that we are being heard.

Agreed. They have a community liaison, so we don’t need to hear from the devs. ANY word would be good.

I do understand their lack of communication a little, though. If they are reading, they know they’ve really screwed up. They may be putting a lid on posting until they can formulate a complete response. For game companies, sometimes a partial response or a response that turns out to be incorrect later, is worse than silence.

But, just hearing that they’re reading would be a major step forward.

Daddicus.6128

If masteries is the only thing you aren’t enjoying in HoT, I may have a tip for you that may improve your experience. Try to consider masteries as some kind of a long-time progression method. Don’t try to rush them, take your time collecting them as long-time goals while trying different kind of things in the expansion. I know it may sound bad since you maybe interested to play one part of the expansion and the masteries create a wall that prevents you from doing that. However, trying to look at the mastery system with a different mindset, may actually improve your gameplay. This may not help you to be fair, and you may still dislike how GW2 have developed… however, giving it a try may make some kind of a change.

I already operate in that mode, and have from the beginning. What you are missing is that XP is REPLACED by masteries. It’s not masking it and it’s not a progression system. Once all masteries are full, there’s no more advancement. And, even during mastery progression, we’ve lost spirit shards (except one-off rewards like the dailies).

How am I supposed to complete the outfitting of my 9 main characters with ascended equipment? You can’t make ascended equipment without spirit shards.

Perhaps I’m wrong, but several people have stated emphatically that XP is dead. If that’s wrong, then some part of my issues goes away, leaving only the gating and gold nerfing as huge issues. But, at this time, it’s what we know. And it is unacceptable to me.

Daddicus.6128

Pretty much this. When an MMO’s forums go silent, it isn’t a sign of happy players not posting.

They’ve moved on.

Exactly.

Posted by: Steel Courage.1250

Steel Courage.1250

That is true, i might as well go on reddit then in this case ha ha.

[MAD] Malicious And Dangerous-Maguma

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

They’ve moved on.

Exactly.

Great choice of words, and good call.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: saturn.4810

saturn.4810

So the complaining is a sign that many people still care about GW2. Good

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Your complaining about complaining and I’m complaining about your complaining about the complaining on the forums.

Nobody complain about my complaining.

I want to make a complaint.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: Petrol.9086

Petrol.9086

Whenever a new game is released or new content is added, it’s going to upset someone and they’ll head of to the forums and complain about it. Nothing new here, you can’t please everyone.

Posted by: Tiburon.8634

Tiburon.8634

I want to come back to the old forums!

I want to come back to the old game. HoT ruined them both.

Swift.1930

I want to come back to the old forums!

I want to come back to the old game. HoT ruined them both.

And that’s the thing that astonished me most – rather than simply expanding upon the gameplay, HoT has replaced a lot of things. Traits, for example – you can only equip three specializations, rather than being able to mix and match elements from all the specializations (limited only by the amount of points to share between them).

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

if people were having fun, they wouldn’t bother coming to the forums, they come because they hope their input will make a change. Little do they know, anet doesn’t care, they think only apathetic people complain. [backwards anet logic as usual]

What many of you should realize is that most of these purportedly “loud” messages do nothing because they likely do not follow forum etiquette and are largely ignored. The only “input for change” that can be respected is one that’s given in respect. I myself would ignore most of these posts were I in their feet, and if you are honest, so would you.

Rage gets nothing, really. Post intelligently before considering even being considered (not aimed at you, but to everyone in general.) You could make a genuine, intelligent game complaint without sounding like a ranting jerk like many tend to do (“passion” for the game “you love” will probably get you zero results.)

Swift.1930

if people were having fun, they wouldn’t bother coming to the forums, they come because they hope their input will make a change. Little do they know, anet doesn’t care, they think only apathetic people complain. [backwards anet logic as usual]

What many of you should realize is that most of these purportedly “loud” messages do nothing because they likely do not follow forum etiquette and are largely ignored. The only “input for change” that can be respected is one that’s given in respect. I myself would ignore most of these posts were I in their feet, and if you are honest, so would you.

Rage gets nothing, really. Post intelligently before considering even being considered (not aimed at you, but to everyone in general.) You could make a genuine, intelligent game complaint without sounding like a ranting jerk like many tend to do (“passion” for the game “you love” will probably get you zero results.)

The biggest problem is that it’s sometimes a pretty tiring slog through poor/overzealous/angrily passionate comments to find even a few good pieces of feedback. I’d like to say that that’s why Anet doesn’t interact much with us on the forums, but I could be wrong.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: Tiburon.8634

Tiburon.8634

The game doesn’t respect people’s time anymore. Anyone paying attention can see that. It isn’t just the same old complaint about poor rewards or whether or not the game is grindy. It is the nature of the HoT maps, events and related systems themselves.

Swift.1930

The game doesn’t respect people’s time anymore. Anyone paying attention can see that. It isn’t just the same old complaint about poor rewards or whether or not the game is grindy. It is the nature of the HoT maps, events and related systems themselves.

Certainly aims at the full-timers more than casual gamers now. Two-hour-long meta chains? Yeah… and all the new maps are like that. =/

It’s one thing that inspired me to post a suggestion on the forum. (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Exploration-Maps-Idea/) I know there are a lot of casual gamers playing Guild Wars 2, and we don’t all enjoy spending our limited time on the huge event chains and leveling masteries!

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Tigaseye.2047

I just don’t get it.

I know – absolutely.

Bizarre.

I agree, assuming they really can’t seem to see which are, truly, the best bits and which are, purely, the niche interests/levels of grind/difficulty.

Frankly, it’s like a bunch of aliens, who don’t understand typical human nature, or habits, at all, have been left to design games.

Please note that I don’t include the artists in the above comment…

They do a very good job, on the whole and seem far more like real people.

I tend to think they should be left in charge of the big decisions, rather than the gameplay devs (or whoever else is making the decisions, currently).

Their levels of intuition and people skills are probably far better, for a start.

Sorry to sound a bit harsh, but it needs to be said.

Whenever a new game is released or new content is added, it’s going to upset someone and they’ll head of to the forums and complain about it. Nothing new here, you can’t please everyone.

You can’t please everyone, but striving to please the fewest number of people possible is surely not the goal?

…and that is what games devs (not just in this game, but in many games, lately) seem to be doing.

Maybe the real problem is, that most of us simply shouldn’t be playing these games, at all?

Maybe the problem is that we were lured-in under false pretences?

If so, it’s extremely rude and unfair to lure people into what they think is going to be one thing and then switch it to another.

Like being lured into what you think is a normal party, only to discover, two hours in, that it’s not actually a normal party, at all…

This is not what you are supposed to do to people; especially paying customers.

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: enlightened.5396

enlightened.5396

People are complaining because they aren’t satisfied and because they care.

The amount of bugs in this game now is insane and the communication from ANet is very poor indeed. Hardly surprising that people aren’t satisfied.

IGN – San Jacinto
Vanishing Legacy (VALE)

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

I said it a while ago, November was not a good month for having unhappy (gaming) customers.

Huge titles out and it will get to the point where the complains stop and so do the logins…

saturn.4810

I said it a while ago, November was not a good month for having unhappy (gaming) customers.

Huge titles out and it will get to the point where the complains stop and so do the logins…

Fortunately, despite many other games coming out, ppl still complain on the forums instead of playing them. Considering that, HoT was a success

We are complaining now for one month, straight.

Posted by: Steel Courage.1250

Steel Courage.1250

Im just hoping that there will be a major patch almost like a second expansion fixing a lot of things that would be marvelous. It would bring joy and be a great christmas present!

[MAD] Malicious And Dangerous-Maguma

Posted by: Matisse.9356

Matisse.9356

Due to this expansion, pugging is flatlining.
And raids de facto force you to use TS and join (large) guilds, which is an absolute immersion-breaker for me.
I’d hope they change both issues, but I am quite sure that they won’t.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

We’re complaining because HoT introduced a lot of systems that make the game not the same as it was before the expansion released.

It is no longer “play how you want.” It is now “you must play with a huge glob of people you don’t know and do instanced content.”

I don’t get what you mean when you say, “It is no longer play how you want.”

• If I am a solo/small group player type in open world, I can play in Auric Basin, Verdant Brink, Tangled Depths or any zone in the core world
  • If I am a solo/small group player in a instance world, I can play fractals or personal storyline.
  • If I am a large group player in a open world, I can play Dragon stand, Silverwaste or go World boss farming.
  • If I am a large group player type in a instance, I can play Raids.

This is what Play how you want is. It is not: I don’t want other type to exist or else I cannot feel like I can play how I want.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

(edited by runeblade.7514)

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Too late, Anet just did that by adding raids.

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

Too late, Anet just did that by adding raids.

Just because it’s called raid doesn’t mean it’s a step closer to wow, or else you might as well calling gw2 a wow clone for have levels and dungeons.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Mahou.3924

Mahou.3924

It is not: I don’t want other type to exist or else I cannot feel like I can play how I want.

And such a sentence shows that you have missed the issue.

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

Fortunately, despite many other games coming out, ppl still complain on the forums instead of playing them. Considering that, HoT was a success

Yeah, huge success… Let’s see how this plays out then.

Posted by: ShelBlackblood.7826

ShelBlackblood.7826

Fortunately, despite many other games coming out, ppl still complain on the forums instead of playing them. Considering that, HoT was a success :)

Sorry to kill the mood here, saturn, but I (and probably some more) indeed moved on and play F4 and DS2 atm. Haven’t logged in to GW2 for over a month now, but I visit the forum on a daily basis to see if something about HoT changes or not.

The reasons why I still complain, in a nutshell:
- core game nerfs to make Xpac more attractive (dungeons, SW, fractals, guilds)
- PVE direction change to force people to do group-activities on all(!) new maps for hours
- barely did WvW, but this seems to be almost completely deserted
- bad/non-existent communication between devs and players in the OFFICIAL forum (little Howler greets you <3) yep, I don’t do reddit!
- mistreatment of small guilds – is scaling requirements really this hard?
- raids are elitsts only, c’mon I can even solo raids in Vindictus (after failing 30 times in a row before I figure out all boss combos haha)
- endless bug-list that should have been dealt with during the closed beta weekends
((- dunno about the grind because I didn’t play it, but since you are forced to get the exp in group content or cof1 I can certainly see it))
- and finally, community-wise: certain people who always have to defend and hail every little change in this game – I won’t use the “f”-word here. Those people take advantage of so-called “nerfs” (more likely corrections?) and are grateful for them but always try to pssst! people who’s complains might be the reason for the better change. Honestly, I can’t take the 10/10 kids as well as 0/10 haters serious

Woops, complained again! <( ^.^ )>

(edited by ShelBlackblood.7826)

saturn.4810

If you visit the forums daily, you haven’t really moved on

Posted by: MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

Yes, two of our commanders have been heavy into Fallout for the past few weeks, and yesterday was the first day I didn’t bother completing my dailies in GW2 because I was also playing Fallout. The slow creep begins…

Posted by: ShelBlackblood.7826

ShelBlackblood.7826

If you visit the forums daily, you haven’t really moved on

;) You got me here! Let’s say the forum is more enjoyable than anything the games offers right now.

I mean… Fallout doesn’t force me to be online 2+ hours straight, I can always turn it off to eat or… errm….. read the gw2 forum again x)