From SW to HoT: Changes required!

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: tekfan.3179

tekfan.3179

I really like the way the Silverwastes work and how the concept requires you to use certain tactics. I’m really looking forward to that kind of content in HoT.
But there is one thing that makes the whole concept go down the sink:
Players -who have no intent of learning or thinking- ruin it for the players who stick to the tactics.
I can’t count the times anymore, that people don’t care about the tactics for the different bosses. They ignore the chat, even if multiple languages are used to give hints as to what to do. Say, map…they should see some of it.
Spamming AoE’s at the husk and it’s healing minions, cc’s at the thrasher and mindlessly destroying the bubbles at the terragriffs.
I want content that is hard and rewarding…and punishing to people who don’t care about using their mind or listening to hints.

Let’s look at the husk under red rock bastion for example.
Upon death the minions of the husk should apply a debuff to the player that killed them. As soon as the player stacks the debuff up to 3, the player will die and be thrown out of the hole with another debuff that hinders them to enter again. Similar to the debuff you get after one of the champions at the vinewrath.

I encountered another problem while fighting the mordrem in SW. Some of my friends experienced it too, so I think it’s nothing client-sided:
The AoE-indicators of the mordrem are too small. Thrashers poison-tracks damage you much further than their texture on the ground implies. Same for the usual red circles at the vinewrath-champions and husk stingers. Especially the thrasher at the vinewrath with the huge circular poison-field. Even if you are just outside the circle you will get the damage from it.

Last but not least: Chest farming. Don’t get me wrong, I like it and have done it myself. Two times already I encountered the problem that a player threw his commander-tag on, declared a chest-farm and ruined a map that was on 70 percent preparation.
How about we keep stuff like that limited to maps under a certain completion? So that chests can’t be unearthed once the map reaches 50% or something like that.

Keep up the hard content ANet, but please make it so that map-leechers can’t ruin it for others.

Posted by: darkm.4839

darkm.4839

I agree. A couple of trolls or ignorant kids who don’t read chat is all it takes for the whole event to fail.

There’s also a problem where when everyone goes to fight the big meta boss at the end, EVERY ONE AND THEIR MOM ends up at south and there’s like a handful of people at north. Every. Single. Time. Splitting up like that is an interesting idea, but the way it’s executed means that nobody goes where they’re needed. I’d prefer it if there was a sort of auto-balance where you talk to an NPC and it divides the people into 3 groups of even size randomly. With this idea there’s then the issue of needing to fight the south boss, but getting thrown into north every time against your will. It could be a dialogue box showing the 3 options and how many people are in each group, allowing people to visually see where they’re needed, but having the freedom to choose where to go. I just want something in similar events that help divide people evenly.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

~Snip~

Spamming AoE’s at the husk and it’s healing minions, cc’s at the thrasher

~Snip~

First off, you’re not quite on the ball there with Husk…the adds give minimal, very minimal regen to the Boss, so insignificant that it can be ignored. The proper mechanics for Husk, if anyone really paid attention and read descriptions is Condition Overload…load up Husk with every condition, and I do mean every, not just the HP degen ones. Also, kite the adds AWAY from the Boss and AoE the Bubbles BEFORE they reach him as that is what causes him to heal. In addition, if someone has the Husks aggro, they absolutely must bring him over to near the ledge at the entrance to his area. IF enough conditions are applied, full stacks of ALL conditions then the Husk will melt in less than a minute.

The Trasher Boss I have had people say no CC, but really they mean no hard CC, what ever that happens to be, and here is where you shouldn’t AoE, because when you pop the poison bubbles it charges one of the Thrashers attacks. However, I rarely see the Trasher fail so it’s not really a problem what people do there.

I do agree on the Griff twins, but there’s another factor that people need to take into affect, and that is trying to kill them both at the same time. Pick one, either silver or gold and just attack that one first and only that one, individually they melt pretty fast and one by itself will melt faster than two together. I’ve seen first hand the Griff twins the first to be killed in under 2 minutes, and that was by an 8 man unit.

As for VW, North doesn’t need more than 10 people to succeed, as a matter of fact, the more people you have the greater chance you have of having to defend the siege carrier from Champions and Elites. Even the Dark Wing can be killed by only 10 people, especially if you get the buffs from the other siege carriers, which actually help kill any/all of the VW Champions.

Posted by: tekfan.3179

tekfan.3179

~Snip~

Spamming AoE’s at the husk and it’s healing minions, cc’s at the thrasher

~Snip~

First off, you’re not quite on the ball there with Husk…the adds give minimal, very minimal regen to the Boss, so insignificant that it can be ignored. The proper mechanics for Husk, if anyone really paid attention and read descriptions is Condition Overload…load up Husk with every condition, and I do mean every, not just the HP degen ones. Also, kite the adds AWAY from the Boss and AoE the Bubbles BEFORE they reach him as that is what causes him to heal. In addition, if someone has the Husks aggro, they absolutely must bring him over to near the ledge at the entrance to his area. IF enough conditions are applied, full stacks of ALL conditions then the Husk will melt in less than a minute.

I forgot to mention the conditions, true.
However, did you ever see how the husk heals up after an ignorant ele, probably with berserker-gear, drops his base-combo of Meteor Storm and Ice Bow 4 on the husk right when all the minions are cuddling with it? Especially if the group in the hole isn’t the biggest, one player can kitten it up big time.

The Trasher Boss I have had people say no CC, but really they mean no hard CC, what ever that happens to be, and here is where you shouldn’t AoE, because when you pop the poison bubbles it charges one of the Thrashers attacks. However, I rarely see the Trasher fail so it’s not really a problem what people do there.

I counted the bubbles as CC. I explained the tactics in the chats quite often, not as often as I read them, luckily. No offense, but I didn’t expect that I need to post a guide here in order to convey my thoughts.

I do agree on the Griff twins, but there’s another factor that people need to take into affect, and that is trying to kill them both at the same time. Pick one, either silver or gold and just attack that one first and only that one, individually they melt pretty fast and one by itself will melt faster than two together. I’ve seen first hand the Griff twins the first to be killed in under 2 minutes, and that was by an 8 man unit.

People not able to focus on one of the twins is a problem too, I agree. However I always found the griffs not being interrupted by the bubbles and therefore blasting through the group to be far more problematic, especially if the other one is coming around the corner in the exact same time.

As for VW, North doesn’t need more than 10 people to succeed, as a matter of fact, the more people you have the greater chance you have of having to defend the siege carrier from Champions and Elites. Even the Dark Wing can be killed by only 10 people, especially if you get the buffs from the other siege carriers, which actually help kill any/all of the VW Champions.

My problem with the VW-event is not player-sided. I just wanted to bring up that the AoE-indicators of the attacks from the VW-champions are too small. The real effect of multiple attacks is bigger. Same for the Husk Stingers and the dmg-effect of the vile thrashers, which is bigger than their green track of goo.
Pretty much like the field-indicators of Eles with the Blasting Staff-trait.
Especially in large battles with a lot of fields this can be irritating.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

However, did you ever see how the husk heals up after an ignorant ele, probably with berserker-gear, drops his base-combo of Meteor Storm and Ice Bow 4 on the husk right when all the minions are cuddling with it? Especially if the group in the hole isn’t the biggest, one player can kitten it up big time.

Doesn’t matter – all the small minions do is apply regen buff. Regen doesn’t stack in intensity – kill more of adds? It just adds more regen time. Which is ignorable. What heals husk is the big bubbles – and they pop anyway when they get close, so if they healed them after getting killed, they were already close enough that they were going to heal him anyway, just maybe a second later. What you do need is kill them before they get close enough, or keep them away with cc/boss pulling.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

I thought the ‘no CC’ thing is just another made-up rumour?

Also, ‘hard CC’ usually refers to stuns, knockbacks, dazes, fears.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by RashanDale.3609)

Posted by: Dramen Maidria.1034

Dramen Maidria.1034

The husk went from being down every time to always failing when that no aoe nonsense started. It’s started succeeding again lately because of the research people did on the boss and figured out what really did the healing and how it worked. If people aoe in a wide zone around him almost no bubbles will reach him to heal.

Dramen Maidria
Knights of ARES, Dragonbrand
Good times, good memories

Posted by: BrettM.9062

BrettM.9062

I have had thoughts similar to the OP’s regarding player performance in Dry Top.

The main problem seems to be that most of the pre-Maguuma-Wastes maps and events teach players to zerg. Zerg = Win, as they’ve seen over and over. But then they come into Dry Top, where zerging is almost universally punished, wanting to know where the train is and looking for a tag to follow.

As with SW, they ignore the advice in map chat and don’t want to think about the subtler tactics required by many events. They don’t want to learn where and when the events occur, or the necessity for being in position before an event begins. There’s always a “hero” who comes along and goes straight for the tendril, ignoring the roots, because Kill the Boss always = Win, right? There’s always some Groo who mindlessly charges into the fray, not realizing that the timer is ticking and the foe needs to be lured outside the border around the oasis. Events are missed, events are done late, events are failed, bonuses are lost … and the frustrations of players who took the time to learn the ropes grow as they beg over and over “stop attacking the tendril, please!”, “lure that elemental over here, please!”, “only two at basket, please!” Not to mention the frustrations of players who constantly find themselves alone at the start of an event that is difficult or impossible to solo, frequently dying as they try to hold out long enough for others to finally get around to it. If they do.

Possibly HoT will wake people up, but I fear it’s going to get off to a ragged start if players don’t start learning in the Maguuma Wastes training ground.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

You do realize the AoE indicator being too small is a thing for our own targeting indicators as well, right? The indicator to lay down a Firestorm is quite a bit smaller than the actual white circle and damage even occurs a bit outside that white circle as well.

This is a general glitch that needs to be addressed as I feel fairly confident both enemy and ally AoE indicators have a common code base (but the could be completely separate). I seem to recall this issue (AoE targeting indicators size vs damage zone) being altered at some point in the near-past via a patch (or adjusted and maybe adjusted back?).

As for the general “stupid players” complaint, I’m not sure there is much to be done as my theory is there are players out there that turn off all chat and pretend they are playing a single player game (not that I have not been tempted to do the same at times).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)