Gating gating gating.

Gating gating gating.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Every thing is gated behind grind. Not fun grind either. Elite specializations? Grind gate. Story? Grind gate. Masteries? Grind gate. Masteries that you need for other masteries? We heard you like to grind whilst you grind.

You heard wrong.

Is this NGE v2?

I can’t even play with guildies because they can’t access areas and need to grind for hours just to get to the next step. Not to mention masteries are poorly explained and presented to the average player.

Gating gating gating.

Posted by: MrH.2591

MrH.2591

There’s a good Reddit post about this here: http://www.reddit.com/r/guildwars2/comments/3q0d0e/_/

They’ve definitely moved away from the casual friendly philosophy with HoT and that’s a shame, it’s what I and I assume many others found so appealing when compared to other MMOs. I played WoW like a job for 5.5 years and I didn’t want that again, but I missed the genre and GW2 was perfect but not so much any more. Even the story is gated behind masteries.

Gating gating gating.

Posted by: Cactus Brawler.7415

Cactus Brawler.7415

Hey remember when they said they were against ‘waiting to have fun’?

Gating gating gating.

Posted by: Kevan.8912

Kevan.8912

There’s a good Reddit post about this here: http://www.reddit.com/r/guildwars2/comments/3q0d0e/_/

They’ve definitely moved away from the casual friendly philosophy with HoT and that’s a shame, it’s what I and I assume many others found so appealing when compared to other MMOs. I played WoW like a job for 5.5 years and I didn’t want that again, but I missed the genre and GW2 was perfect but not so much any more. Even the story is gated behind masteries.

I’m sure that, when they’ll realize that if people wanted to play another wow clone, wow is still online… and players will just come back to it, so HoT will end losing both gw veterans AND wow-ers, we’ll see a manifesto 2.0 and another 180degrees change of direction.

And I won’t buy HoT or play gw2 until that moment

(edited by Kevan.8912)

Gating gating gating.

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

I’m sure that, when they’ll realize that if people wanted to play another wow clone, wow is still online… and players will just come back to it, so HoT will end losing both gw veterans AND wow-ers, we’ll see a manifesto 2.0 and another 180degrees change of direction.

Going back to WoW is a good choice, if you can’t handle some real tough gameplay that takes more than mindless walkthrough to unlock everything.
They might leave ? Good… less weaklings to worry about.
This is what MMORGP is about: grind, grind and I forgot to mention of course GRIND !
The best of all ? I do not even play that much now as I used to. Job, social stuff etc… I bet I am not the only one that likes the hard long and seemingly boring grind. You don’t need to be an elitist no-life to handle it. Just slowly soak in and admire what you have.
Only the most pursuing and unyielding will deserve the elite specs and masteries.
If you can’t handle it then ask for help, aid others so that they might get to places they can’t. If you stay here and complain, then wait until it gets easier (doubt it) or look for other games.

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.

Gating gating gating.

Posted by: Kevan.8912

Kevan.8912

I can’t go back to wow neither to gw2 because they’re both “mindless walkthrough to unlock everything”. Or any other mmo.

This is what MMORGP is about: grind, grind and I forgot to mention of course GRIND !

You’re right, that’s exactly the reason.
And gw2 nothing different.

Gating gating gating.

Posted by: Quells.2498

Quells.2498

It’s not a grind if it’s things you would be doing anyways. Besides, many people usually praise this style of play, otherwise referred to as “metroidvania” in which exploring yields new abilities that open up previously unseen areas.

Leader of Contre [VS], just a bunch of zen adults
focus on Dungeons, Fractals and Raiding.

Gating gating gating.

Posted by: Semak.4065

Semak.4065

It’s not a grind if it’s things you would be doing anyways. Besides, many people usually praise this style of play, otherwise referred to as “metroidvania” in which exploring yields new abilities that open up previously unseen areas.

the problem, the way I see it, is not the “metroidvania” aspect. Its more like how its done.

If I run into something I cant get past in Zelda/Metroid I should have the feeling of “I wonder whats behind this rock/wall” etc.

In HoT its more like: yea I want that hero point, I SEE that hero point, but I cant get there unless I level some form of mastery.

there is no aspect of wonder/exploration in regards to HP that are gated behind mastery and that is just bad imo.

I’m even okay with champs guarding that challenge but why does it need a timer?

Gating gating gating.

Posted by: Wiperas.7240

Wiperas.7240

Every expansion in any game has some type of grinding . U just want to have everything in 1st week that’s all. If they had raised the level cap would u still whine ?

Gating gating gating.

Posted by: Lakshmi.5941

Lakshmi.5941

I like the current unlock system a lot. Just play the game, everything unlocks.

Gating gating gating.

Azure Prower.8701

I like the current unlock system a lot. Just play the game, everything unlocks.

Play the game until you hit hard gating where you can’t play the game any further? Sure.

Gating gating gating.

Posted by: Thanathos.2063

Thanathos.2063

The first story mission gave me experience for maybe 80% of gliding #1. I got the rest through exploring the starter area.
I finished Itzel #1 because there was nothing else I needed at that time and started with Itzel #2 afterwards. I’m now through gliding #2 too and I still haven’t seen half of the events in Verdant Brink (and I just finished the last story mission on this map).
Maybe you’re all skipping every mob you encounter? I can’t explain it any other way…
If that’s grindy for you, you haven’t played any other MMO before, no offense…

Gating gating gating.

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

I don’t particularly have an issue with the Masteries, they seem to level up ok, but the Elite specs is definitely a grind, going from hero challenge to hero challenge trying to unlock on from having no HP is tough going, it takes so long.

The problem with the one line I quoted you on is that Guild Wars 2 was always the “no grind” MMO, you just played and did what you wanted. You were never forced to grind anything to unlock parts of the game so this is a bit of a U-turn. Comparing the grind in other MMOs to this one just doesn’t work because this one went out of its way to keep grind to a minimum and it appealed to a lot of “casual” gamers.

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

Gating gating gating.

Posted by: myself.2143

myself.2143

Anet: “HEY GUISE!!!1!!! LOOKIT WAT CARBINE IZ DOON!!!”

And thus was the beginning of the end for GW2. /sadtrombone

Gating gating gating.

Azure Prower.8701

I’ve played plenty MMOs before. Even Korean grinders.

Guild Wars 2 is starting to become a Korean grinder. Hours of mindlessly, grinding of mobs to progress.

Gating gating gating.

Posted by: MrH.2591

MrH.2591

I’ve played plenty MMOs before. Even Korean grinders.

Guild Wars 2 is starting to become a Korean grinder. Hours of mindlessly, grinding of mobs to progress.

GW2’s greatest strength was it wasn’t like other MMOs, so I have no idea why they went in a completely different direction with the expansion.

Gating gating gating.

Posted by: Thanathos.2063

Thanathos.2063

It kinda confuses me, since I unlocked the first masteries in gliding and Itzel while exploring the starter area of Verdant Brink and doing the first 2-3 story missions with two of my toons.
I’ve got 4 masteries now and I haven’t even seen half of the events here…

(I’m not sarcastic or anything, I’m really wondering how it comes that so many seem to need grinding mobs/events)

Gating gating gating.

Posted by: nikdik.1934

nikdik.1934

Going back to WoW is a good choice, if you can’t handle some real tough gameplay that takes more than mindless walkthrough to unlock everything.
They might leave ? Good… less weaklings to worry about.
The best of all ? I do not even play that much now as I used to. Job, social stuff etc… I bet I am not the only one that likes the hard long and seemingly boring grind. You don’t need to be an elitist no-life to handle it. Just slowly soak in and admire what you have.
Only the most pursuing and unyielding will deserve the elite specs and masteries.
If you can’t handle it then ask for help, aid others so that they might get to places they can’t. If you stay here and complain, then wait until it gets easier (doubt it) or look for other games.

Then why did the Guild Wars 2 team say they want to maintain a no-grind philosophy back when Heart of Thorns was first announced?

Gating gating gating.

Posted by: MarTn.3810

MarTn.3810

It kinda confuses me, since I unlocked the first masteries in gliding and Itzel while exploring the starter area of Verdant Brink and doing the first 2-3 story missions with two of my toons.

(I’m not sarcastic or anything, I’m really wondering how it comes that so many seem to need grinding mobs/events)

Because it gets worse. Much worse. Gaining xp for your masteries becomes much more tedious later.

Gating gating gating.

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

It was a Level 4 mastery that was eventually required. That’s significantly more effort than a Level 1, which yes you can just get easily by exploring.

That said, the requirement is being removed as of tomorrow.