in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

Seriously, get rid of them.
They just limit build diversity without bringing anything serious to the table

There’s hardly any reason to pick them in sPvP, and for WvW they feel trollish more than anything.
I can admit that could be fun to see them working from time to time, but in this case it could be better to make the effect baseline like many other things.

The 50% damage reduction can’t be understood as anything but a little help for explorers (which might come handy if the player is not specially good with jumping puzzles and such) or an escape mechanism for WvW roamers (which would need to kitten their builds for that edge).
All of this could easily be covered by a food/consumable.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I disagree.

Instead, there should be more effects added to them. People should be picking them for the secondary bonuses not for the fall reduction damage. The fall reduction damage should be a small added bonus no one cares about.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

agree that the current fall traits are pretty terrible, but at least i can almost see them having a purpose in wvw if the effects were better (one damage related effect and one effect that helps escaping).

honestly, i’d rather they get rid of the revive traits. can’t think of any way i’d ever take such a situational trait

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

agree that the current fall traits are pretty terrible, but at least i can almost see them having a purpose in wvw if the effects were better (one damage related effect and one effect that helps escaping).

honestly, i’d rather they get rid of the revive traits. can’t think of any way i’d ever take such a situational trait

Maybe when one of your party member is downed?

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Relshdan.6854

not for only a 10% speed increase and a skill proc that may or may not prove useful in securing the revive.

MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Many profession’s revive traits are forgettable, but I find both the thief and guardian versions to be game-changers… and both of them got better.

On the topic of falling damage traits the thief one needs to be a model for the future. There are some obvious generic triggers like “on falling or using a healing skill” or “on falling or using an elite skill” that could fill gaps for classes that don’t have other thematic 30-second-ish clocks built into the class already.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

not for only a 10% speed increase and a skill proc that may or may not prove useful in securing the revive.

I run Mercy Runes on my Beastmaster Ranger as well as Healer’s Celerity. The only two traits I’d pick over Healer’s Celerity are Wilderness Knowledge (becoming a Grandmaster) and the Soften the Fall when it’s relevant. Being stuck reviving an ally isn’t a safe position to be in during team fights, but Beastmaster Ranger can usually get away with it. Combine with Zephyr’s Speed for quickness on every revive.
I wouldn’t dream of running the build without the huge swiftness that allows us to get back in position on revive and that little bit extra res speed.

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

Relshdan.6854

fair enough…but i just hate seeing the very limited trait options within a tier(only 3) be used up w/ the fall and revive traits they revealed……i’d rather they have been rolled into other traits, or be given to each class as a utility skill, in away that makes them worth having in all modes of play.

MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

It could be worse… you could be a necro. their fall damage trait now damages themselves and gives them 10s of weakness.

Posted by: Spectrum.4985

Spectrum.4985

In all honesty, when do you ever equip a fall damage trait outside of doing a jumping puzzle? The problem is, fall damage is never a part of combat for 99% of the game (even in WvW with all its cliffs there are better trait choices). Yet fall damage Traits still stuck around even when so many other traits were merged or went baseline.

Fall damage doesn’t encourage build diversity. It doesn’t encourage playing differently. You use it when you think there’s a good chance of dying from falling and that’s it. There absolutely shouldn’t be a trait in Adept let alone Master(!) tiers dedicated to a very small portion of the game competing against two practical, beneficial traits.

Reduced fall damage should either become baseline (or even just removed) and replaced with something that affects game play in a meaningful way. With fewer options to now choose from and with many of them currently lackluster, fall damage Traits really don’t have a place in the game anymore.

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

I rather they just are innate to the profession, same goes for 25%base speed traits/signets. If anything just for better/funner gameplay.

JQ Druid

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

In one word : WvW

Fall trait are incredibly usefull in every content where you can fall. And since they want to ad more vertical map in PvE, they gain even more value.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

In one word : WvW

Fall trait are incredibly usefull in every content where you can fall. And since they want to ad more vertical map in PvE, they gain even more value.

And in certain places they don’t. There is one section of the new map where if you control it you dont take fall damage. They are seriously very niche and in ArenaNet trying to streamline all of this, those could go and it wouldn’t be a bi deal.

Or they could do what they should have done for years and do skill splits and keep them for WvW and get rid of them everywhere else where they have little to no value.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Combine all Fall damage traits and “on revive” traits into pure “survivor” traits. Freeing up slots and making them more worthwhile as even if you’re not near a cliff it’ll help on pickups, even if you’re alone it’ll help you traverse area, less situational as it’d have more possible applications.

Posted by: CodeHavoc.7926

CodeHavoc.7926

I don’t have a problem with fall damage reduction per say though I go into Death Shroud beforehand, but I do see your point. My suggestion would make it so its automaticly choosen when you spec into your respected spec traitline mine would be Blood Magic so you don’t exactly have to choose either or it being a waste of a minor trait that most people will just bypass anyway.

Necro Jesus is a thing apparently
The Zerker Bunker meta is the biggest bug in the game

CodeHavoc.7926

It could be worse… you could be a necro. their fall damage trait now damages themselves and gives them 10s of weakness.

Two words: [Consume Conditions] but I see your point. They clearly gave skills to the most underused (borderline useless, lol) trait instead of focusing on things that are currently still crippling the Necro

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

Personally, I have one slotted at almost all times on every character. Most of what I do ends up being world exploration or puzzles. Those both can involve lots of falling and I don’t like dying to fall damage. So while you don’t use them, I certainly do.

Posted by: Halcyon.5340

Halcyon.5340

When there are only three traits per tier (Adept, Master, Grandmaster), seeing a fall damage reduction trait fills one of those spots makes me angry and bitter. Traits and specializations should all be combat-oriented.

Yes, fall damage reduction is neat to have for jumping puzzle (JP), and JP is one of the major aspects of Guild Wars 2. However, I feel like ALL the fall damage reduction traits in Specializations should be moved into one rune family.

Anyway, thank you for reading thus far on my rant. I hope you have a good day!

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

I agree. It’s stupid

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Nike.2631

That you don’t know what fall damage traits are for doesn’t mean they don’t have a place.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

As I said in the nearly identical thread on this topic: I’d be happy with moving the capability to reduce falling damage into a ‘toy,’ like a kite. People would adapt just fine and we’d lose a minor WvW niche build.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Bronze Knight.9231

Bronze Knight.9231

However, I feel like ALL the fall damage reduction traits in Specializations should be moved into one rune family.

Meh people would still complain about the loss of DPS as most of the stuff people want from runes is in the 6th rune.

Now if it were something you could put on a back item or trinket…..

Just let me know when the PVE/PVP skill separation happens.

Can Engi please have more than one viable skill set in PVE? Turrets maybe?

CodeHavoc.7926

However, I feel like ALL the fall damage reduction traits in Specializations should be moved into one rune family.

Meh people would still complain about the loss of DPS as most of the stuff people want from runes is in the 6th rune.

Now if it were something you could put on a back item or trinket…..

It wouldn’t be used by 90% of user base simply beacause it isn’t zercker.

Relshdan.6854

Combine all Fall damage traits and “on revive” traits into pure “survivor” traits. Freeing up slots and making them more worthwhile as even if you’re not near a cliff it’ll help on pickups, even if you’re alone it’ll help you traverse area, less situational as it’d have more possible applications.

i like that.

MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Ish.2846

Ish.2846

I agree. Along with downstate traits they are just filler across all classes.

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

Bearing in mind that (a) fall damage reduction is incredibly useful in most of WvW, and (b) it’s no longer possible to dip into a traitline to snag a minor; wouldn’t it be better to make fall damage mitigation a signet (or gadget for engineers)? I wouldn’t mind sacrificing a utility slot in WvW (or while doing a JP or some other specific instance) so I can move with fewer restrictions.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

Bearing in mind that (a) fall damage reduction is incredibly useful in most of WvW, and (b) it’s no longer possible to dip into a traitline to snag a minor; wouldn’t it be better to make fall damage mitigation a signet (or gadget for engineers)? I wouldn’t mind sacrificing a utility slot in WvW (or while doing a JP or some other specific instance) so I can move with fewer restrictions.

An utility slot still sounds like a huge investment to me. Some nourishment granting fall damage reduction for 30m / 1h could get the work done without having to touch class building options.

Merging fall damage traits with other niche ones, like downed state and/or even resurrection ones would clean some room and sounds great too.

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

An utility slot still sounds like a huge investment to me. Some nourishment granting fall damage reduction for 30m / 1h could get the work done without having to touch class building options.

Merging fall damage traits with other niche ones, like downed state and/or even resurrection ones would clean some room and sounds great too.

I think that it should be a pretty huge investment but if it’s used as a signet/gadget then it’ll have an activated/toolbelt function too so the investment isn’t perhaps too high.

The issue I have with merging fall damage with other traits is that because we can no longer “dip” into trait lines we’ll end up having to go grandmaster in an otherwise useless line … now that strikes me as too much of an investment.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

What i would love to see is some spvp maps that actually allow for some tactical use of the falling traits. Most of them stink, but given right map conditions, some professions like warrior and rager could use falling mechanic for some tactical gameplay.

Nike.2631

What i would love to see is some spvp maps that actually allow for some tactical use of the falling traits.

Have you watched the videos for the new borderlands map?

People were screaming at how blatantly vertical/fall-inducing it is.