Getting the expansion but pricing?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: JackofQueens.5019

JackofQueens.5019

Hello GW2 community!

I’ve had a long break, and played the game on and off… I’ve decided to give it a go again with the new expansion looking pretty good… But the price seems to be a bit steep? When i click on the available now button, it brings me to a screen where i can choose between 3 versions. The standard edition is set to 44,59 euros, and includes the core game? For me that is a bit much, since i already have the core game, got it back at launch. Is there a way to buy the expansion without buying the core game? If so could someone please direct me to that?

Thank you in advance.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Welcome to …3? months ago. :/

Also no.

Occasionally some of the other retailers will have sales and that is about the best you can do. DLGamer had it for a decent discount for a while but it has stopped now. It is only 5% off now.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Core game is free if you apply the product key to a new or F2P account. The core game is not part of the expansion’s cost.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’d look for it on sale if I were you, but ONLY from an authorized dealer.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Super old discussion. The answer is what you see is the price of the expansion and they give a core game to new players as a marketing tools because new player don’t want to pay 10$ for the core game + the 50$ of the expansion.

That said. The expansion isn’t worth 50$ so far. The HoT maps are good, the story is better than the original, but not great and super short, they made WvW worst than it was and fractal is kind of half a mess, they didn’t had enough time so they promised stuff for later and just cancelled new Legendary weapons, 5 months after the expansion, there is stuff that are still not in-game like fractal leaderboard (it’s a joke at this point) or the Fractal legendary back item. They plan on fixing some of that stuff, but it won’t be for soon. In april there will be some fixed to HoT maps and fractal, but there will only be a beta for the WvW patch. They won’t fix or complete the expansion for at least a year.

That said, they kind of scewed over the players wihtout HoT, so the expansion is a must have. It’s not all dark. Like I said, the HoT maps are really good, some of the elite spec are nice to play and the raid are great and so far keep their schedule.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

(edited by Thaddeus.4891)

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

That said. The expansion isn’t worth 50$ so far.

Your opinion only. I paid $100 for the ultimate edition and have not been disappointed at all. I do not regret the $100 for it. So again it is your opinion, stop trying to push your opinion as the only correct version.

Thaddeus.4891

Your opinion only. I paid $100 for the ultimate edition and have not been disappointed at all. I do not regret the $100 for it. So again it is your opinion, stop trying to push your opinion as the only correct version.

I’ll said whatever I want and you are free to disagree. I paid 100$ and I was higly disappointed for even 50$. It was my decision to put that cash into a game that I loved for the last 3 years, it was my mistake. I know some people like how the game go, but they seem in my opinion to be in the minority. Not saying that the game is bad now. But for me they took a direction and make me love the game less and it’s the same ting will most of the my friends. It’s ok, I’ll just continue to raid and i’ll be more skeptical and wait before purchasing the next expansion.

If you can’t understand that all everybody said in the forum is their own opinion even if they don’t specify that It’s their opinion, it’s not my problem.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

At any price, you’re not getting what you paid for.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

It would be weird if he was pushing someone else’s opinion….

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

If you’re a PvP player, it’s mandatory. None of the core specs come even close to the elites, and balance at the moment is pretty (understatement) wonky.

If you’re a open-world grinder and loved playing the Silverwastes over and over, you’ll love it.

If you played mostly WvW, don’t bother and save your money for either another game or until they fix a lot of the garbage brought into WvW with HoT.

If you ran dungeons, again, don’t bother, as rewards got nerfed. If you liked to run super-organized/hardcore groups, well, there are raids.

Imho, the only reason to get the expansion is the specializations you see as fun. I like HoT only because the reaper is an enjoyable and fresh take on necro. Otherwise I dislike the entire expansion and think the price is far too steep for what is offered.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Where did he say that his was the only correct one? Or are you just trying to be argumentative?

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

True but but P.T. Barnums’ quote does come to mind.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’ll said whatever I want and you are free to disagree. I paid 100$ and I was higly disappointed for even 50$. It was my decision to put that cash into a game that I loved for the last 3 years, it was my mistake. I know some people like how the game go, but they seem in my opinion to be in the minority. Not saying that the game is bad now. But for me they took a direction and make me love the game less and it’s the same ting will most of the my friends. It’s ok, I’ll just continue to raid and i’ll be more skeptical and wait before purchasing the next expansion.

If you can’t understand that all everybody said in the forum is their own opinion even if they don’t specify that It’s their opinion, it’s not my problem.

True enough. But since it almost always causes the thread to derail from people picking that up to discuss it, it’s best to throw in the imo anyway.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Thaddeus.4891

True enough. But since it almost always causes the thread to derail from people picking that up to discuss it, it’s best to throw in the imo anyway.

You are right that’s the best thing to do, but since for most people it’s obvious that what people talk about in forums are opinions, especially on that specific subject, I won’t walk on eggshells and apologize each time I forget to put a IMO in there.

Ayrilana.1396

You are right that’s the best thing to do, but since for most people it’s obvious that what people talk about in forums are opinions, especially on that specific subject, I won’t walk on eggshells and apologize each time I forget to put a IMO in there.

The problem is that there are people who actually pass off their opinions as facts.

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

Hello GW2 community!

I’ve had a long break, and played the game on and off… I’ve decided to give it a go again with the new expansion looking pretty good… But the price seems to be a bit steep? When i click on the available now button, it brings me to a screen where i can choose between 3 versions. The standard edition is set to 44,59 euros, and includes the core game? For me that is a bit much, since i already have the core game, got it back at launch. Is there a way to buy the expansion without buying the core game? If so could someone please direct me to that?

Thank you in advance.

and so this question again. The answer is you are not paying for Core, you are paying the standard price for an expansion. Players who do not have core also get it free as an incentive to commit to HOT.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

That was for pre sales only.

But he has a point, don’t go buying it from some shady ebay seller. Most company stock boxed copy’s now. I got.mine from Amazon in the UK for £28 3 or 4 days before launch. So look around, you’ll get it cheaper that directly from ANet.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Vayne.8563

But he has a point, don’t go buying it from some shady ebay seller. Most company stock boxed copy’s now. I got.mine from Amazon in the UK for £28 3 or 4 days before launch. So look around, you’ll get it cheaper that directly from ANet.

There are a lot of sites, particualrly sites that sell keys that people think are legit, but really aren’t, and they’re certainly not authorized.

What I’m saying has nothing to do with presales. What I’m talking about is people buying keys from Kinguin or G2A and getting banned, because the key was bought with a stolen credit card.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

There are a lot of sites, particualrly sites that sell keys that people think are legit, but really aren’t, and they’re certainly not authorized.

What I’m saying has nothing to do with presales. What I’m talking about is people buying keys from Kinguin or G2A and getting banned, because the key was bought with a stolen credit card.

Well I did say not some shady seller. There are plenty of stores where I live that sell boxed copies, and these are national chains, so the stock is legit. But these stores do not appear on the authorities sellers list. I also said you had a point. But hay argue for arguments sake much?

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

Full game expac price for a DLC release.

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Most game expansions fall in price over time , and any future expansion will also include in it HOT, so just wait a while and the price will eventually drop.

Posted by: Yunielesca.2850

Yunielesca.2850

You can have it for 25 pounds on amazon UK and 26 euros on amazon FR.

These are not digital, you’ll receive it at home, so you might pay for delivery depending on where you live.

(edited by Yunielesca.2850)

Posted by: LoL NooBs.5076

LoL NooBs.5076

You can call this an expansion, but it’s really just a bad patch with a pretentious price tag. I wouldn’t play it if ANet paid me to.

According to my immature name I seem not a big loss for the community.

Posted by: Silverforte.8540

Silverforte.8540

Core game is free if you apply the product key to a new or F2P account. The core game is not part of the expansion’s cost.

I have an account from way back before HoT was released. I’m not going to give it up but I’m also not going to pay another 40+ for an expansion that, after this long, should have dropped around 30 or less. That’s virtually the price of a full game and it’s ridiculous.

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

So have we all. It is your your right however not to buy it, its not ridiculous however, its market demand and the standard price for an AAA expansion. (in fact much cheaper since there’s no sub)

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Vayne.8563

I have an account from way back before HoT was released. I’m not going to give it up but I’m also not going to pay another 40+ for an expansion that, after this long, should have dropped around 30 or less. That’s virtually the price of a full game and it’s ridiculous.

It’s often on sale at DLGamer for $35.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Supposedly you will get H.o.T. for free if/when you buy the next expansion. If the next expansion, lets call it C.o.L.D., costs $50 then you will have gotten two expansions for $50, or $25 each.

Ayrilana.1396

Then wait until it goes on sale or when the next expansion rolls out.