Gift Copy of HoT [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Mitha.7039

Mitha.7039

Anet, if I wanna gift a copy of Heart of Thorns to a friend, how do I do it without it automatically assigning the keycode to my account so that the friend can use it? Thanks.

Sylvari roleplayers and fangirls: We’re suckers for the underdog…

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You buy it from the website like you would a new account.

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

That or buying a boxed version from a retailer. That way, you really can’t accidentally attach it to your account.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

I bought it from the website, like anything else all it does is give you a code. You’re free to do with that code as you please.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

Posted by: Squee Squashington.5189

Squee Squashington.5189

Bump because I’d like to know as well.

Similarly, if the person I’m gifting it to registers the account with the pre-ordered HoT key, will they be able to play the base game now?

Legendary Defender of Casuals

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Buy, send them the code. Same as usual.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

You will have to buy it for them outside of the game from the website. There is no way to gift HoT from within the game.

Since HoT comes bundled with the base game for new players, any friends of yours that do not have GW2 will be able to play the game as soon as they register HoT and download the client.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Yup. Buy them from the main GW2 website versus in game and that way they mail them to you and can pass them along as a gift.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: FlyShy.9613

FlyShy.9613

So if I buy the HoT expansion. Can I give someone else the core game it comes with? I have a friend who wants to play it.

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

Sadly no. As the key you would have would link them both together it would not be possible.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Single key, not separate, and thus sadly not giftable.

Edit: This was in response to a different thread and was moved by mods, it applied to gifting only the core part of a HoT purchase.

The, now, above topic of gifting the whole package can be achieved by purchasing from buy.guildwars2.com and simply sending them the generated key.
They would go to register.guildwars2.com and use the key to create an account (if new) or login and use the add a key button (existing account).

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

(edited by ScribeTheMad.7614)

Posted by: FlyShy.9613

FlyShy.9613

So I would get a useless item. Thats a load of bull.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

No, you would get a character slot.
If you add the code to an existing account, you are simply not given the Core game access but rather a character slot instead.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Kitsune.1902

Kitsune.1902

No, you would get a character slot.
If you add the code to an existing account, you are simply not given the Core game access but rather a character slot instead. (*

.*) Terms and conditions may apply
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pre-purchase-community-address/

(edited by Kitsune.1902)

Posted by: PropheSee.2541

PropheSee.2541

Well, I’m in the US. But play on European servers cause my friend plays on them. I want to gift him the game expansion. but since he is in Russia. Not sure what to do. And with the current issue of how many who bought the game having issues of it crashing and then not being shown. I don’t want to waste the money if this happens. But still want to know what to do to gift it if they fix this issue.

Posted by: pdboddy.4162

pdboddy.4162

How does one buy this as a gift when one already owns the expansion. I only get the option to upgrade, or to say no thanks continue to the shopping cart. Where I choose the option I want only to be given to the option to upgrade or say no thanks continue to the shopping cart. Where I choose the option I want only to be given…

This tornado’s heading for the trailer park.

Help please?

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

How does one buy this as a gift when one already owns the expansion. I only get the option to upgrade, or to say no thanks continue to the shopping cart. Where I choose the option I want only to be given to the option to upgrade or say no thanks continue to the shopping cart. Where I choose the option I want only to be given…

Help please?

Buy it off of the website.

Posted by: Kyon.9735

Kyon.9735

Did I get this right? My friend already has the core game and I’m gifting him HoT since it’s been about a year since he last played.

1. Buy game from buy.guildwars2.com.
2. Give him the code.
3. He logs in at https://account.arena.net using his account and select Redeem a Code.
4. Put in the code I gave him.

Would really love an answer asap

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

I would like to gift a copy of HoT to a guildie, but he lives in US and i’m in Australia. Would it be possible for someone from Anet to respond and let us know if there’s a way to do this in game or however please.

Come on Anet respond to all these people please, you’re losing money here.

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Customer support is doublespeaking on this issue…

Notice also that no one from Anet bothered to answer one of the biggest questions about HoT – and one I see almost every day in game.

Anet doesn’t care about players, just about profits.

Gaming needs to come back to reality – players matter.

Being able to buy the game for portions of it, go look. But they can’t just say in the gem store that you can GIFT the GAME or UPGRADES to another person’s account?

Baloney.

Horrid marketing and even worse IT/database management abused by those who don’t understand computer gamers and our needs at all.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Help please?

If you “buy it on the website” it automatically assigns it to your existing account.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Posted by: Znake.9762

Znake.9762

Help please?

If you “buy it on the website” it automatically assigns it to your existing account.

What Seera.5916 means is you can buy it from any of ArenaNet’s retailers online: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/retailers and then just give the code to a friend.

Kyon.9735

Help please?

What Seera.5916 means is you can buy it from any of ArenaNet’s retailers online: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/retailers and then just give the code to a friend.

Sorry, I have never bought any Digital copies so I don’t know how it really works and I don’t really wanna waste money by making a mistake.

If for example I buy GW2 from an external website like greenmangaming.com, I will just need to send the code to my friend?

Thanks in advance.

pdboddy.4162

Help please?

I was attempting to do so. The mobile part of the website is stuck in that loop.

pdboddy.4162

Help please?

And that was not happening, hence my post asking for help. To which ‘buy it from the website’ is an unhelpful answer.

I waited til I got home to use non-mobile internet.

Kyon.9735

Help please?

Sorry, I have never bought any Digital copies so I don’t know how it really works and I don’t really wanna waste money by making a mistake.

If for example I buy GW2 from an external website like greenmangaming.com, I will just need to send the code to my friend?

Thanks in advance.

Anyone? Please?