Give it some time...

Give it some time...

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: WhiteFox.9432

WhiteFox.9432

For the love of god, give Anet some time to clear things up, patch a few bugs, leave people that want to grind events for masteries grind until their hearts content.
It’s been only out of a week or so, and I just completed my first endgame boss event. Why? Because only now they got their heads around the best way to use a mechanic that doesn’t involve standing about defending.
I don’t even think the developers saw this tactic coming even. But it works, after so many days, it works. That is, if people step up and start organising.

I also believe the developers tried to take a step into something new, something bold. Maps with hundreds of players constantly doing events. Their “dream”.
But… I’ve yet to see a map that holds two guilds working toghether along with the rest of the people on it do make things work. (for example) Cause in my eyes, that’s how the game is designed. Bigger, faster, harder.

I guess, we both need time, the players as well as the developers. But I’m certainly wondering if things are going as planned. If I should log in today and try to keep this game alive or just leave it like it is, until they patch it up (HP’s being bugged, NPC’s en events bugged, getting thrown out of the game, etc etc..) and come come back to see those hundreds of players/guilds being active again. Don’t get me wrong, it’s active alright, but not that active to complete a night tier 4 on Verdant Brink for example. Nor do I see a lot of people running around with high number of masteries. (hence my topic title.)

This is a new kind of thing in the world of MMO’s…. Mega events. Silverwastes and Drytop was just a prelude. And it worked, somehow. Now they pushed the limit once more with more maps, bigger meta events, harder enemies.

So I guess I’ll give it some time to let itself point out if this thing will work or not. For now, it’s still rough around the edges to me. It’s fun, there is lots of stuff to do and masteries to get.

I hereby close my rambling with a few questions for you all. Even the developers:
Do you think the maps are active enough? Should there be more players already in these first few days that every meta event should work just like that? Or should we give this expansion more time to let itself solve it out? And is this mega event mechanic a good thing for the future, when people will be bored again and hard content will be left aside, only for new players to be unable to finish it properly? Are these things thought trough enough?

edit
I’m not giving up on GW, just have my doubts about HoT. I’m always in for a world boss or two. (or more)

(edited by WhiteFox.9432)

Give it some time...

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

Do you think the maps are active enough?

I don’t. I still think the game opens up new maps too quickly. It’s not that it’s quiet, it’s just not busy enough for the meta events to really have a chance, it seems.

Auric Basin is a bit of an exception though. It’s an easy meta event to understand and fairly unorganised maps seem to be able to complete it with relative ease these days. Tangled Depths and Verdant Brink never seem busy enough to actually get anywhere meaningful… and Dragon’s Stand…every time I enter that map there are 20-30 people standing around the start but no-one is prepared to go and wait next to the NPCs.

When it takes players so long to organise themelves in Dragon’s Stand it means those of us who do go straight to the NPCs to kick-start the meta chains are… as Colin would say… standing around waiting to have fun. This might be exacerbated by the fact that I often enter Dragon’s Stand at 20 minutes remaining and the meta’s not been started. I think to myself “what’s the point?”, and leave to do other things, so I imagine other players may think similarly. I suppose I should be checking on LFG to see if there are any taxis up, but the two-hour kick-out timer doesn’t really do it for me.

That’s more than I was intending to type.

In short: They feel quiet.

Give it some time...

Posted by: WhiteFox.9432

WhiteFox.9432

Do you think the maps are active enough?

I don’t. I still think the game opens up new maps too quickly. It’s not that it’s quiet, it’s just not busy enough for the meta events to really have a chance, it seems.

Auric Basin is a bit of an exception though. It’s an easy meta event to understand and fairly unorganised maps seem to be able to complete it with relative ease these days. Tangled Depths and Verdant Brink never seem busy enough to actually get anywhere meaningful… and Dragon’s Stand…every time I enter that map there are 20-30 people standing around the start but no-one is prepared to go and wait next to the NPCs.

I’ll do like David in Prometheus did… repeat that one phrase that catches my interest:
“It’s not that it’s quiet, it’s just not busy enough for the meta events to really have a chance.”

Hence my worries for the future and my demand for time. I’ll go level up my Revenant in Tyria the old fashioned way for now and do my daily world bosses. Until I see or hear from an increase in either population or succesfull meta events in HoT.

I do hope we see some improvement in the next couple of weeks. Cause if not, more and more people are going to get bored real fast (seeing a topic or three pop up now, not a good sign), or frustrated. (more then enough of those.)

Let us pray to Susan…