Gliding doesn't work well enough when you lag

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

This is bad design. The glider only deploys after taking your latency into consideration.

As an Australian, this means with my average ping being 200ms (absolutely no way to lower it), I will have to fall 1/5th of a second before the glider pops, losing me considerable altitude.

Tonight I am lagging for whatever reason, with 500ms. Falling for half a second before the glider deploys, I might as well not be able to glide at all. It’s useless.

This is one of those game technicalities which should ignore your latency and compensate on the server side. It’s honestly the same level as pressing W and your character taking 200ms to respond and move forward. It does not happen because this is compensated on the server by delaying the response and showing other players you move 200ms later, instead of forcing your client to move 200ms later, which would literally break your ability to play the game (sorry hard to explain this, but this is how it works).

Anyway, I am enjoying the new zones, but this is a big complaint for me.

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

Has this stop you from getting anywhere?
Have you tried holding the space to deploy it quicker?

Posted by: Luche Lenardon.4951

Luche Lenardon.4951

It does stop me to some extent in getting some HP that really need precise gliding.

OP is still lucky, I myself have average ping of 370-450. I can’t even fight mordremoth in LW normally in his aoe phase.

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

I just figure knowing problem areas may help them maybe fix it, though unsure how easy or hard such a feat could be, lol.

Esquilax.3491

Here I made a small illustration to explain why this is bad

Attachments:

(edited by Esquilax.3491)

Posted by: Llethander.3972

Llethander.3972

[Redacted]

Something about that site caused my Firefox browser to throw a hissy before having a seizure. :<

Esquilax.3491

[Redacted]

Something about that site caused my Firefox browser to throw a hissy before having a seizure. :<

I am sorry, it is a really cool site, it lets you draw pictures and post replays of you drawing them (artpad is site name) but I made a paint one instead.

Posted by: zareyo.3186

zareyo.3186

Agreed, please make it a regular movement or improve glider deployment somehow please. My other regular gameplay performes fine. But because of the lag I cannot reach certain updrafts to complete some achievements or keep up with certain glider boss fights

Posted by: Kampilan.3895

Kampilan.3895

I’m from the Philippines. I regularly plant my face on Maguuma ground after jumping.

Funny thing is I don’t get damage because my glider deploys just as I faceplant.

It becomes interesting when I have to cross a chasm, though.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Online games do not work well enough when you lag.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

This.

It sucks, but the reality here is that Anet doesn’t have an oceanic server cluster and the game is not (and won’t ever be) designed to play with a 200ish ping.

You’re connecting to a game you know is going to be laggy and unresponsive, then complaining it is laggy and unresponsive.

Anet needs to just establish an oceanic cluster for you guys alreaday. There are so many people I see on US servers and I’d bet just as many on EU servers that a small cluster would easily pay for itself.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Lag affects more than just gliding, but I feel your pain.

I was running around dry top Saturday, on my human necro. Just working through the Gates of Maguuma chapter achievements, so I had to do aspect crytsal steps to proceed . Running with a 1900ms ping (glutton for punishment, I know. Hubby was streaming a movie while I was playing….anyway). Ever tried a lightning crystal with a ping that high? Woooo-boy, those face plants hurt.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

This.

It sucks, but the reality here is that Anet doesn’t have an oceanic server cluster and the game is not (and won’t ever be) designed to play with a 200ish ping.

You’re connecting to a game you know is going to be laggy and unresponsive, then complaining it is laggy and unresponsive.

Anet needs to just establish an oceanic cluster for you guys alreaday. There are so many people I see on US servers and I’d bet just as many on EU servers that a small cluster would easily pay for itself.

To be honest, my partner plays just fine on 300-400ish ping in the entire game. Most game mechanics work fine and lag really only destroys gliding. Even accurate dodge rolls can usually be done on a high ping if you see the tell coming…

Labyrinthine Cliffs and Dry Top were a pain but not impossible.

Even gliding works if the dang thing will open on time, but it almost never does. But when it does manage to open then its all good after that.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

The issue is that unlike some game mechanics, falling itself is not affected by lag. The physics for falling will trigger on your screen, regardless of whether you’re lagging. So you fall and by the time your client catches back up to the server and sends it the message to deploy your glider, you’ve already fallen way past where you wanted to be.

To fix this, they would almost need to make falling a thing that happens on the server end, instead of client end (if that’s even possible). It would be a bit weird, as you’d have moments where you could walk through the air like Wile E Coyote. The main trouble with this solution is that even if it is possible, you then end up opening to the door to exploitation (people finding ways to force lag to allow themselves to cross a large gap). People who are lagging would actually have something of an advantage now, since they stay level longer.

Unfortunately, I don’t think the reverse would possible (allowing gliding to deploy while lagging) since it requires both a keystroke and stamina information.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It’s very unlikely that there are enough players (both existing and future) to justify the cost of three servers (the minimum for WvW matches) and certainly not enough for 9 new servers (the minimum for WvW toureys, not that we have seen any recently). The servers themselves are cheap; the local expertise required to maintain them 24/7 for this game would not be.

Further, while this reduces lag for the Eastern Hemisphere, the effect is only substantial for those nearby the cluster. Japan-to-Sydney is nearly 8,000 km; Germany-to-Japan is just over 9,000 — so that big relief for Aussie players won’t be felt by those in eastern Asia.

(Plus, there are other minor issues: loss of efficiency for NA/EU server systems, requiring consolidating the existing ones; significant impact on existing match-ups, etc. None of these by itself should influence whether or not to add a new server farm, but they do make it less attractive to do so.)

In short, ANet isn’t likely to setup any new clusters anytime soon, unless someone figures out a way to generate enough new players local to those clusters to make it financially viable.

That said, I would like to see such servers, because, as Pope Urban said: the game really depends on low latency and that means that far-away players just have to deal with it — that seems unfair to me, even if that’s that nature of physics + economics in 2015.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Rhea Ravenseeker.7105

Rhea Ravenseeker.7105

Developers / client liaison / Gaile …. Please read and respond to the forums like support promise you will.

Posted by: foxcat.4096

foxcat.4096

The worst is when you hit space ,wait a second glider doesn’t appear so you hit space again just as glider pops then disappears again.

Posted by: Axialbloom.8109

Axialbloom.8109

That picture above is dead accurate.

Esquilax.3491

I see this has been bumped and as I was the OP I feel obligated to respond again with a follow up.

I have managed to complete all of the masteries and most achievements with some 200-300 ms latency, it doesn’t really prevent any of the stuff with rewards tied to it, glides to those areas usually have some room to deal with lag. But for random glides where you think you can make it to a ledge and then you don’t make it because the glider delayed, it’s still very annyong.

But it’s not particular game breaking unless you are lagging a lot, like more than half a second.

Also, some other things like the bouncing mushrooms and some adventure abilities are also badly affected by lag, in particular Fallen Masks: Gold since there is so much bouncing mushrooms and gliding on that adventure.

I know it’s a technicality and Anet can’t defy the laws of physics when it comes to delivering network code through long distance fibre optics. Putting technicalities aside, I have had immense fun in this expansion and would like to thank Anet for that, but please when designing movement oriented abilities in the future keep in mind network stuff

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

I don’t think anything works well when it lags, lol, except standing still.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

Posted by: Kaiser.9873

Kaiser.9873

Of course last night in TD I hit a small lag spike while in an updraft, and I flew over the map. Ended up in an odd place above everything. Nothing really up there, but I was able to find kitten to fall through to get back to the playable area.

Posted by: steveway.3167

steveway.3167

I have to agree with the OP. While I live in NA, I have satellite internet. Since satellite internet has built in lag, unavoidably unfortunately, I tend to face plant a lot when trying to glide.

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

I also live in NA but have to use satellite internet because my area doesn’t have broadband coverage. That one Hylek scout that won’t talk to you unless you glide by them took me forever to do because I had to try several times from different areas to actually reach him, as the area they tell you to jump off of wasn’t high enough to account for my lag.

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

It’s not just gliding in open world, there is gliding in Spirit Vale that is very difficult if you have any lag, so I cannot participate in that, bell choir too will not work properly, this is with a 280 ping using WTFast.

Posted by: Silvaren.5186

Silvaren.5186

Saying that lag plays a huge role and that it’s something outside Anet’s control is factually true, however there are many games that are demanding skill-wise but are still playable with oceanic lag. Design plays a big role.

This goes all the way back to Labyrinthine Cliffs, where even tethered jumps could miss. How is that even possible? You tell the server “here, play my toon for me”, there is no precise aiming or timing involved and yet the server cannot make the jump. THIS is something that can be solved on Anet’s end by coding things differently, but years have passed since then and same problems exist today.

Anet cannot “solve” lag for you, but they can code things that are not so sensitive to lag.

Posted by: Heimdallr.7021

Heimdallr.7021

I can’t remember how many times i’ve died in the fight with Mordremoth because of lag, my glider wouldn’t deploy in the second phase :\

norn warrior