Gliding...

Gliding...

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: JackDaniels.1697

JackDaniels.1697

Love this, but there is just one part that bothers me about this and that is that it is only available in the Maguuma Jungle.

While it is unique to that map, it’s sad because it would have been such an amazing feature if we could glide on the rest of Tyria. With the exception of dungeons and fractals, and you have to be on high altitudes to jump down and start gliding, so you can’t just glide from the ground.

Imagine gliding in Mount Maelstrom’s Hidden Garden! Oh the possibilities…

“I got a fever! And the only prescription, is more COWBELL!”

Gliding...

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Oh the possibilities…

Attachments:

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

Gliding...

Posted by: Samarak.7519

Samarak.7519

Has it been confirmed it is only possible to glide in the jungle, I assumed so but haven’t had a quote yet confirming or denying.

IF they are worried about diving rocks being broken they can just make the goggles cancel out the glider. Or in jumping puzzles just have gliders be disabled and issued a cooldown for the paths you have to take. Plenty of ways around breaking the rest of the game I think. Then again, where else would you use gliders. They seem to have made maguma a lot more vertical.

Loving the game, thanks Anet.

Gliding...

Posted by: Rayti.6531

Rayti.6531

I guess the main issue would be the possibility of breaking out of maps. If they allowed gliders all over the currently existing maps, they would need to review every single map for possible spots where you could break out of the map while gliding and fix said spots. I highly doubt this will happen (would be nice though).

Gliding...

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Has it been confirmed it is only possible to glide in the jungle, I assumed so but haven’t had a quote yet confirming or denying.

I haven’t come across any reliable quotes either.

Gliding...

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Yeah by all means lets break all jumping puzzles, vistas and other hard-to-reach places and make them redundant.

At the same time, why don’t we enable flying in WvW, too? Why batter a door with a ram when you can just glide into that pesky keep and take it by surprise!

One – Piken Square

Gliding...

Posted by: Dr Aggravation.3245

Dr Aggravation.3245

Arenanet and ncsoft…. Has anyone played aion. You can glide everywhere there, and fly in some areas. it’s probably the best part of the game. I’m sure gliding will be disabled in areas that it would negatively effect. I don’t see why gliding would only be avalible in the jungle alone, that would be a huge letdown to players.

Gliding...

Posted by: Dr Aggravation.3245

Dr Aggravation.3245

Yeah by all means lets break all jumping puzzles, vistas and other hard-to-reach places and make them redundant.

At the same time, why don’t we enable flying in WvW, too? Why batter a door with a ram when you can just glide into that pesky keep and take it by surprise!

There are other games with a wvw dynamic and they have ways to prevent people gliding into forts, check out AION and see how it works.

Gliding...

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

Arenanet and ncsoft…. Has anyone played aion. You can glide everywhere there, and fly in some areas. it’s probably the best part of the game. I’m sure gliding will be disabled in areas that it would negatively effect. I don’t see why gliding would only be avalible in the jungle alone, that would be a huge letdown to players.

Aion, PW, Archeage and other games were thought with gliding/flying as a feature from the start. Those worlds are fully Open, not instances of each map. Plus those games don’t have actual Jumping puzzles and whatever stuff akin to it they have is designed with flying in its scope.

I’ve been trying out Archeage recently, and i have to say the one thing i missed from AA when playing GW2 was the gliders, because they make going from A to B so much faster (while walking). And while I’d love to be able to use gliders everywhere, i don’t think its feasible within GW2, because all the older maps would require new “Invisible walls” to prevent gliding out of the maps, they’d have to hard-code restrictions to gliding to prevent them from being used in JPs.

And while its not been confirmed that they are restricted to the new maps, i wouldn’t be surprised at all if they were. It would be an extremely pleasant surprise if it were otherwise.