Grind Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Rentapest.6503

Rentapest.6503

Yes, my heart is filled with thorns at the thought and feeling of this new ‘expansion’.

The concept of GW2 was that it was not intended to be a grindfest game, but rather a game that any player, both experienced and casual, could pick up and play when they wanted to play and more importantly how often they wanted to play!

With the new concepts in HoT however, the game has now become an unpleasant grindfest! Obviously, all the ‘experienced’ hardcore players will complain and try counter that it is not a grindfest, but it is. Just because you have all day to play and are willing to spend hours upon hours unlocking 200 hero points accross 20 characters, does not mean the rest of us are willing to do that!

What I enjoyed most about GW2, was how easy it was to make alts, gear them up and play with them and their many different specs.

I am dying to try out all the specializations on my alts, but since I detest grinding, none of my characters have more than 5% map completion. This makes it almost impossible to get to the new zones, plus if I want to try a specialization, I have to spend hours on EACH character unlocking map and hero points in the new zones. This is a grind.

You’ve taken away too many things that I personally enjoyed in this game! You ruined Fractals, ruined dungeons, removed the ability to easily play alts and make new characters (without grinding). What is there left to do for me in the game? I’m not interested in the new zones, events etc.

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Why would you buy HoT if you think that map completion is grinding and you aren’t interested in the new zones or events?

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Grind? What is this grind you and others speak of? I have played pretty much every day since the Head start / Beta days just over 3 yrs ago for an avg of 3 hours a day and I have yet to do any grinding …… NONE ….. I just go an play and have fun (yes still having fun) and just enjoy myself in every part of it – core and HoT. Again NO GRINDING have I done. I am working on Mawdry and core Bolt plus every Legendary so far that I can. Yep all at once. I am just playing and letting the stuff and things come as they will. Still NO GRINDING for me in 3 years.

Posted by: sonicsix.5713

sonicsix.5713

I was able to complete all the new zones because I happened to be able to play during “the rush”. Now, the zones are dead. And by complete, I mean I got 100% map completion… no way have I done the achievements nor will I. Now I am left to grind experience to spend what mastery points I have. The ones I don’t have are behind content I do not enjoy participating in like fractals, dungeons, etc. So now I log in each day, farm my home instance, get my daily chest and log right back out.

Putting mastery points in fractals will not make me do fractals. I will simply quit playing.

Posted by: Takoyakii.2146

Takoyakii.2146

Another “grind” thread :/….

And why did you buy expansion if you not interested in new zone //major part . Save your money.

Posted by: Grim West.3194

Grim West.3194

I agree OP. I think all the empty zones and endless complaints about HoT prove you are right.

The game isn’t about fun anymore.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Or people are busy with raids might be that too.

Grim West.3194

Most players don’t care about raids. The game is emptying out because HoT is garbage.

Posted by: nobleroar.2078

nobleroar.2078

I agree OP. I think all the empty zones and endless complaints about HoT prove you are right.

The game isn’t about fun anymore.

of course, it is fun about transferring wealth from players to players or finding out what item is gonna be the next hot cakes on TP or parking alts with gathering tools at harvest points for maximum profit.

so fun.

Jade Quarry
Mesmer | Night

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

To be honest- all MMOs are grindy…if you really don’t like grind then I suggest you look at other game types.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

The original Guild Wars issued a warning when you were playing for 2 hours.

In Guild Wars 2: HoT, it’s suddenly the minimum amount of time you need to play continuously to get anywhere.

What happened?

Grim West.3194

To be honest- all MMOs are grindy…if you really don’t like grind then I suggest you look at other game types.

Lol. Been playing MMO’s for a loooong time. The difference between grinding and not grinding is the fun factor. If you are having fun then it isn’t a grind. HoT is all about the grind without any of the fun.

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

Lol. Been playing MMO’s for a loooong time. The difference between grinding and not grinding is the fun factor. If you are having fun then it isn’t a grind. HoT is all about the grind without any of the fun.

Fun is subjective.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Grim West.3194

And apparently a huge portion of HoT players don’t think it is fun… hence the empty maps and endless complaints.

Posted by: nobleroar.2078

nobleroar.2078

Fun is subjective.

Fun is subjective but the major gold sink and material sink in place is not.

Jade Quarry
Mesmer | Night

Posted by: ZachAttack.3957

ZachAttack.3957

It’s all about the mindset. If you go in thinking, “Ugh I have to grind out 1.25 mil exp and go do events and crap I don’t even want to do to unlock this stuff, grumble grrr grumble” than you’re not going to have fun. Or you could just go into the new zones, explore, see an event that looks interesting and participate in it. The exp will come. I may not be a high mastery level, but I have a lot more fun doing what I want to do even if the levels come more slowly. And if you’re complaining about empty maps (not you OP), throw a tag up on a fresh one and start taxiing people in see tons of people doing this, so why you can’t do the same is beyond me (in reality you don’t even need a tag). As for the how the heck you have less than 5% on any of your characters is beyond me (unless you’re an INSANE casual). If you just go out and explore the zones of the world you’ll get more than that. To address your other complaints:

-Fractals are being fixed
-Taking liquid gold out of dungeons does not “ruin” them – they still offer quite a good amount of rewards for the time they can be completed in nowadays
-You can start playing your elite spec from the first trait point you put into it- you don’t need to fully unlock everything (and if you wanted to, hero challenges in maguuma offer 10 points per completion, and most of the ones in VB are just communes lol)
-Why the heck you would buy the expansion of you are not interested in the new zones is BEYOND me (considering that that includes the story as well, that’s like more than 50% of the expansion)

Honestly man, just change your mindset. If we didn’t spend so much time grumbling about things on the forums we’d actually be getting stuff done.

(edited by ZachAttack.3957)

Posted by: Notsoperky.2348

Notsoperky.2348

/quote:You can start playing your elite spec from the first trait point you put into it- you don’t need to fully unlock everything

If that is the best defence you can come up with, then we don’t need to say any more.

Anyone who changes to their elite spec with just the first trait opened is playing a kitten character, basically asking others to let them leech.

It’s a big time gated/meta gated grindfest. Add in content that is locked behind reliance on being online and lucky enough to get in to a meta that actually succeeds so you can explore that map and it’s frustrating as well. And to top it off, completion of the new maps is mandatory if you ever want to craft your precursor for the gifts.

Having less than 5% on a toon is easy- just play wvw.

ZachAttack.3957

/quote:You can start playing your elite spec from the first trait point you put into it- you don’t need to fully unlock everything

If that is the best defence you can come up with, then we don’t need to say any more.

Anyone who changes to their elite spec with just the first trait opened is playing a kitten character, basically asking others to let them leech.

It’s a big time gated/meta gated grindfest. Add in content that is locked behind reliance on being online and lucky enough to get in to a meta that actually succeeds so you can explore that map and it’s frustrating as well. And to top it off, completion of the new maps is mandatory if you ever want to craft your precursor for the gifts.

Having less than 5% on a toon is easy- just play wvw.

If he was a mainly WvW player he would not have bought the expansion, and he would have mentioned something about it in his post (since plenty of people seem to dislike the new stuff). And lol man, it is NOT that hard to unlock most if not all of your elite spec. After spending like half an hour in the new maps (and not even focusing specifically on hero points the whole time – meta’s got to me) I got like 4-5 hero challenges done. That’s not that long. And if you remember, they used to be 400 points.

Also take into conserideration the fact that you get the full spec in pvp. And considering he is not interested in the new maps, which are PvE, as well as only having 5% map completion, he’s probably into PvP.

And I’ve been having plenty of fun on my scrapper who is not fully unlocked. It’s PvE dude. Who bloody well cares if you don’t have the full spec? If you go into raids, sure, but he’s not even into the new maps, let alone raids.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

And apparently a huge portion of HoT players don’t think it is fun… hence the empty maps and endless complaints.

A huge portion of the players do think it’s fun. See how easy that is. I get on full maps. Not sure what your problem is. And I’m not grinding. I’m having fun. Yes, I enjoy the events on the maps. I enjoy some of the adventures. I enjoy protecting camps from Modrem. I enjoy gliding and trying to discover stuff in the canopy. I enjoy playing story missions. I enjoy learning how to use different character’s in the jungle.

So yeah, HoT is fun FOR me. Now how much exactly is a huge portion? Because frankly I think that, while there are people who hate hot, there are plenty of people having fun in game.

ZachAttack.3957

A huge portion of the players do think it’s fun. See how easy that is. I get on full maps. Not sure what your problem is. And I’m not grinding. I’m having fun. Yes, I enjoy the events on the maps. I enjoy some of the adventures. I enjoy protecting camps from Modrem. I enjoy gliding and trying to discover stuff in the canopy. I enjoy playing story missions. I enjoy learning how to use different character’s in the jungle.

So yeah, HoT is fun FOR me. Now how much exactly is a huge portion? Because frankly I think that, while there are people who hate hot, there are plenty of people having fun in game.

Exactly. This so called “huge portion” is everyone that feels they need to post some complaint on the forums. The people that are having fun are actually in-game having fun, so why bother posting on the forums? Therefore we get the false perception that “so many people” are not having fun and hate HoT.

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

Exactly. This so called “huge portion” is everyone that feels they need to post some complaint on the forums. The people that are having fun are actually in-game having fun, so why bother posting on the forums? Therefore we get the false perception that “so many people” are not having fun and hate HoT.

" The people that are having fun are actually in-game having fun, "

so you agree that MANY people not heaving fun

because majority of the maps are almost empty
and its getting worst…..

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

and its getting worst…..

How do you know that? there might be 1 2 3 4 5 6 maps full that you dont get into and nr7 is empty so oooh doom there is noone playing.

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

and its getting worst…..

How do you know that? there might be 1 2 3 4 5 6 maps full that you dont get into and nr7 is empty so oooh doom there is noone playing.

always watching LFG
and jumping in and out of maps

and i can say yeah its getting worse and its getting way harder now to do an event.

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

ZachAttack.3957

and its getting worst…..

Way to put words in my mouth man.

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

Grind? Don’t make me laugh! How on earth you give meaningfull progression without a bit of of work? Don’t mistake progression with grind….I see too much of this mistake around…

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

Grind? Don’t make me laugh! How on earth you give meaningfull progression without a bit of of work? Don’t mistake progression with grind….I see too much of this mistake around…

Exactly this, Thank you for saying this, time consuming=/= grind. People have no idea what actual grind is.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

ZachAttack.3957

Exactly this, Thank you for saying this, time consuming=/= grind. People have no idea what actual grind is.

Grind is a pretty relative term as well. Everyone seems to have their own definition of what they think a grind is.

Posted by: Rentapest.6503

Rentapest.6503

I decided to waste (yes waste) my Sunday afternoon getting Hero Points to play my Reaper. I’ve been at this for 4 hours, and still have a way to go. It’ll probably take my 5+ hours to complete.

So, spending 5-7hours GRINDING ‘Hero Points’ JUST to be able to play an elite specialization on my alt, is GRINDING.

Let’s say it takes 5 hours. If I have to do this on every alt I want to play, that’s (13×5=65) a total of 65 hours grinding!!! Just to get enough Hero Points for my alts.

That is rediculous, and way, WAY too much time imo. That is why I’m complaining that everything about HoT is grind-based.

Before you even start to do these hero points, you need gliding, upgrafts and mushroom bouncing. So that’s 3 levels of experience to unlock the masteries before you can even start. I think the mastery system is way too grindy. Why not let us use tomes of knowledge?

Posted by: GangNamTwo.9780

GangNamTwo.9780

Been grinding myself for some achievements, but it always feel like a slave.

Work to me is something I make profit on.

A slave works for no pay. When I don’t get paid, I’m a slave. lol yep it’s like having a slave master telling me, “Do it or you don’t get lunch. Do it or you don’t get this fantasy sword, which is by the way the fun you get in our game.”

Huh? Fun in your game means “work”? Omg I must be crazy to play your game. lol no pay?!? for work in this so-called game? This so-called game means “work”?

Game is something I spend $ on. Hence, no more spending money on a game that wants me to “work”. Can’t believe the new ethics some gamers have. Every time I read the word “work”,… Ok, you do the work. In my job I can make far more money with my time and just pay in the gem store. BUT, hey, wait a minute, why should I provide for your fun with my donation in cash to the gem store, just so you who can not donate to the game in cash lecture me about “work”?

Mmm, mmmm, all along I’ve been donating $ to the gem store so those who want to “work” in a game can actually have ANet be a profitable company and be able to play for free with their ample game time, and “game effort”. Lol, the so-called “effort”. Man wake up, in real life, your effort is work. In a game you should be paying for your fun. Not expect people like me to donate $ to support the game. I am done supporting Grind Wars 2. :p My entertainment value has changed, thanks to the lecture of those who feel I should “work” in this game.

Grim West.3194

Combine mastery xp for Tyria and HoT. Let all modes of gameplay (PvE, WvW and PvP) earn xp for masteries (if not leveling). Just make people pay for HoT to unlock the tracks.

PvP and WvW can have their separate tracks like they do now. Just don’t force them to PvE .

Posted by: GangNamTwo.9780

GangNamTwo.9780

P.S. I was an idealist that tried to support gem store with $ to help many players who may be jobless. Back in EQ I had close friends who were disabled, and unable to work. I once even mailed a check to a jobless in-game friend. When I began playing GW2, I loved the game so much, and felt the game needed a lot of players with time on their hands to support the gaming world. So a part of me felt it was my duty to support ANet revenue so that the game will in effect, employ the jobless players who can staff a game world with activities .. Yes they all look cool running around me, no matter if they are employed or not. In the game world we are all equal. I loved that feeling because I know many jobless people are good people. So.. I had intentionally spent a lot of $ in GW2 gem store just to support this idea of player cooperation via invisible donation to the game by players who can afford it, to help populate the game with players who otherwise would not be able to afford to play.

Well, as it turns out, I have to admit I was wrong. What we have here in this game, as in many other games, is a dysfunctional social environment. That, I don’t need.

Sorry for the spill of how I really feel at this moment. I am very disenchanted, having lost my old concept of a “game world” is where everyone appears equal, no matter what their real life situation is. But when some people who view “grind” as “work”, and lecture people like me about it, it’s an awakening to me. People’s values are now screwed up. And I want no part of this. Sorry for the rant. It’s actually a painful story I have learned after years of mmorpg games. Sad for me to realize. Kind of ugly in reality. Especially when the game company is the profit-making force in this dysfunctional “social” game.

Grind Wars.

(edited by GangNamTwo.9780)

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Again NO GRINDING have I done.

Well, that’s you. Other people have had different experiences. Theirs is just as valid as yours.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

-You can start playing your elite spec from the first trait point you put into it- you don’t need to fully unlock everything

Yeah, but to be fair, you’re not going to have much of an elite spec if all you have is the weapon unlocked and don’t have any of the traits or utlities that go along with them. lol

Posted by: Lilith.2541

Lilith.2541

I love the new maps, I love the how the story develops around the events in different areas of every map, i really dislike that i need to play these events for 10 to 20 hours to lvl up.
I love the guild halls, i hate the fact that small friendly guilds need to spend a lot of gold just to get 1 basic upgrade with no use for them, then even more gold to get useful stuff, my guild is level 8 and i already donated like 600 gold.
I love the new mechanics in raid bosses (they could improve some things but they are ok), i dont like that there are 0 new dungeons since thats the content that I can handle with the time I have.
Overall i see punishment to the casual community that has been supporting this game for years
I think is time for me to leave since i can only play for 1-2 hours per day and the things i do just feel like i making 0 progress in the game, I mean the game may be pretty good for some people now but its just not something for me anymore and that makes me kinda sad.

PS: I dont regret buying HoT it was a nice experience for 45 dollars

(edited by Lilith.2541)

ZachAttack.3957

-You can start playing your elite spec from the first trait point you put into it- you don’t need to fully unlock everything

Yeah, but to be fair, you’re not going to have much of an elite spec if all you have is the weapon unlocked and don’t have any of the traits or utlities that go along with them. lol

Oh of course, I agree with that. My point there was that it wasn’t completely gated until you unlocked everything. Like I had a lot of fun with my scrapper still not having everything unlocked. I guess it’s possible that it’s different between people, and maybe between classes as well (with how much you need the utilities and elites).

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I see a lot of people mistaking grind for progression, too. I think there’s some truth to both points of view.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

The original Guild Wars issued a warning when you were playing for 2 hours.

In Guild Wars 2: HoT, it’s suddenly the minimum amount of time you need to play continuously to get anywhere.

What happened?

Ah, I remember the good old “take a break” message. The game used to care about us so much, eh? But yeah, meta events are now designed to snatch up a large chunk of players and make them take very long periods of time without breaks. Take a 5 min break, and all the other people involved are (almost) guaranteed to rant at you!

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: Velarian.6290

Velarian.6290

uhmn… does no one else think that OP is trolling?

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

I was able to complete all the new zones because I happened to be able to play during “the rush”. Now, the zones are dead. And by complete, I mean I got 100% map completion… no way have I done the achievements nor will I. Now I am left to grind experience to spend what mastery points I have. The ones I don’t have are behind content I do not enjoy participating in like fractals, dungeons, etc. So now I log in each day, farm my home instance, get my daily chest and log right back out.

Putting mastery points in fractals will not make me do fractals. I will simply quit playing.

Hmmm, I see tons of people in all the new maps, all the time.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Been grinding myself for some achievements, but it always feel like a slave.

Work to me is something I make profit on.

A slave works for no pay. When I don’t get paid, I’m a slave. lol yep it’s like having a slave master telling me, “Do it or you don’t get lunch. Do it or you don’t get this fantasy sword, which is by the way the fun you get in our game.”

Huh? Fun in your game means “work”? Omg I must be crazy to play your game. lol no pay?!? for work in this so-called game? This so-called game means “work”?

Game is something I spend $ on. Hence, no more spending money on a game that wants me to “work”. Can’t believe the new ethics some gamers have. Every time I read the word “work”,… Ok, you do the work. In my job I can make far more money with my time and just pay in the gem store. BUT, hey, wait a minute, why should I provide for your fun with my donation in cash to the gem store, just so you who can not donate to the game in cash lecture me about “work”?

Mmm, mmmm, all along I’ve been donating $ to the gem store so those who want to “work” in a game can actually have ANet be a profitable company and be able to play for free with their ample game time, and “game effort”. Lol, the so-called “effort”. Man wake up, in real life, your effort is work. In a game you should be paying for your fun. Not expect people like me to donate $ to support the game. I am done supporting Grind Wars 2. :p My entertainment value has changed, thanks to the lecture of those who feel I should “work” in this game.

Not only is the comparison to slave work potentially offensive, but your entire argument is nullified by the fact that you can walk away from the game at any time if you are not having any fun, and be none the lesser for it. The only one to blame for your lack of satisfaction is yourself.

Posted by: Goldrock.9076

Goldrock.9076

I love how people throw around the word grind now man if you dont like to grind go back to linear console games mmos are not the genre for you sad to say because no matter what something in it will be considered grind. Rememr what you find grind isnt gonna be a grind to others. Let me guess do you get on diablo and complain because its all grind and farming gear? Its the concept behind the game just like here its a concept and a formula that most of us enjoy if you dont enjoy it well not our fault you bought a game and didnt like it.

Posted by: thewaterguy.4796

thewaterguy.4796

Grinding=doing the exact same thing over and over and over, playing the game=running around and doing stuff in the game, I think you are confusing the two far too much, if you don’t like having to play the game to earn stuff then why the hell are you playing an MMO? Go play fallout or skyrim where you can just skip a bunch of stuff if you don’t like it

Posted by: karik.8293

karik.8293

I agree with the op,guild wars 2 has become a very grindy game,and you dont get much reward for the grind either,Most of the masteries in Hot are crap.

I played everquest for 9 years and enjoyed every minute,and that game was grindy,but it was a lot of fun,gaining levels was slow,and if you died you lost experiance and had to go on a corpse run to get your gear back.

Once you were at max level you grinded alternative advancement skills,and they were well worth getting,they really helped improve your class.

I really dont get how people are saying there is no grind in guild wars 2.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Grinding is doing something you don’t enjoy to get something you want.

Pointless grinding is doing something you don’t enjoy to get something you don’t want.

What people enjoy doing or want is up to them to decide.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Chiccotot.7296

Chiccotot.7296

I do Hero Points farm in the new maps for my guildies and friends.
If anyone wants to do it, add me and message me when I’m online
FREE OF CHARGE

I am pretty much bummed out about WvW cause ANet decided to crap on our guild upgrades, so, I mostly sit in LA, or any random map, thinking about the poor life decision I made in buying HoT.

I do try to make things “fun” but… optimism can only take you so far until that feeling of my preferred gameplay being dumped on starts creeping up on me again.

Anyway, yeah, hit me up if you want help in Hero Points. I pretty much mastered Verdant Brink and Auric Basin, having done it 12 times on all my toons

Grim West.3194

Hmmm, I see tons of people in all the new maps, all the time.

Lol, yeah right /rolls eyes.