Grind not bad - elite can be done in 8 hrs

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Good Tofu.9376

Good Tofu.9376

My journey:

I already had map completion, so that was 200 HP right there.

The last 200 HP took roughly 13-14 hours or so…and this was with me messing around with other stuff and doing story mode too.

Masteries needed for last 200:

Gliding – 2
Mushroom jump – 1
Exalted – 1

That’s it. This easily could have been done in less time if I had just optimized for getting elite spec instead of exploring and doing story missions. (I have no regrets since the new content is quite enjoyable)

Getting full elite alone could have easily taken only 8 hours or so if you really wanted to do it quickly and ignore everything else.

Also, since masteries are account bound, my druid (also 100 map completion) is literally going to take like 2-3 hours to get full elite.

(edited by Good Tofu.9376)

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

Without map completion makes it more tedious. I only have map completion on one, maybe two characters and I decided to do the first elite on a Revenant.

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

Posted by: RapidSausage.4620

RapidSausage.4620

The HP grind is not so bad at first, but if you want all the 40 points in HoT it’s gonna take a loooooong time.

Not complaining though, the new maps are fun.

Posted by: Ice.5162

Ice.5162

Two days? TWO DAYS?!

I just wanted to stare at my BEAUTIFUL new utility icons and new trait interface art IMMEDIATELY and skip ALL the other amazing content. THAT IS WAY TOO LONG.

Posted by: BeardRex.6739

BeardRex.6739

I wonder if people have even considered going back into the core world and doing some of the hero points they rushed past before. I know everyone is excited about HoT, but at least a part of me feels like this is like buying HoT and expecting to be leveled to 80 instantly.

Good Tofu.9376

The core content is actually really fun too. I didn’t even really notice much a grind at all.

The only trouble was getting groups together to do some of the harder HP’s, but right now most zones have people willing to tag along (as well as guild members).

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

good to see some rational threads being made now that the dust is starting to clear.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

Nice, 8 hours on a single pre-existing character with 200 points to start with.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

Posted by: markot.3946

markot.3946

How many people have map completion?

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

Without map completion makes it more tedious. I only have map completion on one, maybe two characters and I decided to do the first elite on a Revenant.

i had map completion on my mesmer and could unlock some of the chronomancer abilities and then grinded the heropoints...... on my necro it would require to grind all of them plus the rest of pve ...ill just do wvw instead as i hate pve
Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

Posted by: Nemesis.6938

Nemesis.6938

doing the existing hero points in core is fine, it just feels really overvheliming and frustrating only getting 1 point on your way to 200

Posted by: bLind.6278

bLind.6278

And anyone without map completion is obviously just a sub-human lazy kitten to you, right?

One foot out the door, yet again.

Posted by: Thuggernaut.1250

Thuggernaut.1250

8 hours? Maybe if you get wired up on crystal meth and chain-pop every gem store booster known to man.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

You do realize, without any of the HP from map completion in regular Tyria zones, you need every single HP in HoT? I was originally thinking there were a few extra, but nope. 4 maps, 3 with 11 points and 1 with 7 points, for a total of 40/400.

So the current system actually encourages people to ignore HoT content and go do regular map completion if they want elite spec any time soon. Cause a sizable chunk of HP are gated behind masteries.

Have fun getting them on characters that don’t have map completion, lollllllllll.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Latorn.4209

Latorn.4209

Seriously, thank you for saying this. I can’t believe the entitlement of people who want to have everything right away on all their characters.

If anything this is hella short, but I suppose it’s alt friendly this way.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Yeah finally got my elite spec this morning, but as well, I already had map completion on my Mesmer. So I only needed 200 points.

The last skills are 25 and then 35 points by the way, not 15 points like everything else.

But I’m mostly dreading the fact that I have 8 more characters to do this on, which none of them have map completion. So it’s going to be the full 400 for them and that is going to be a pain.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Seriously, thank you for saying this. I can’t believe the entitlement of people who want to have everything right away on all their characters…

People just want to use the elite spec while experiencing the new content, how’s that entitlement issues? They paid money to use the elite specs to experience the new content.

I don’t get why people would want to have to do 8 hours of maxed out XP boosting to unlock something they already paid real money for. If you do it without grinding at all, by the time you get your elite spec fully unlocked, you have already finished a majority of the new content, where is the point in that?

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

Oh wonderful!! Do you truly mean I only have to spend 8 hours ignoring all content except hero challenges to unlock an elite spec…… That will be so great because since it is an elite it will be so much better than my normal profession…… right?? I mean it is an “elite”…. so it will be worth all that time right?? So to sum it all up. I want to make 7 of my alts to be elite specs… That would mean 56 hours of ignoring content just to play the new specs…. What is elite about these specs???? They are on par with regular professions. This fake character progression is really idiotic.

Posted by: Fizz.8763

Fizz.8763

That’s because you can do the easy ones. I’m starting with one of my alts with no map completion, and so far I’m at 10/11, 7/11, 10/11 and 3/7 for each map. Some of these requirements are absurd, but when you only need 200hp you can just skip them. There are ones that need Adrenal Mushrooms, Ley Line Gliding, extremely hard meta-events to be completed successfully, and one where I had to swim for like 15 minutes only to die to Chak poison instantly once I found where to surface to get to the point. At this point, I’ve gotten every single point that isn’t gated by one of the final masteries in a category or a meta-event that isn’t organized enough to beat yet and I still have 60 points left before I’m maxed out.

Good Tofu.9376

Oh wonderful!! Do you truly mean I only have to spend 8 hours ignoring all content except hero challenges to unlock an elite spec…… That will be so great because since it is an elite it will be so much better than my normal profession…… right?? I mean it is an “elite”…. so it will be worth all that time right?? So to sum it all up. I want to make 7 of my alts to be elite specs… That would mean 56 hours of ignoring content just to play the new specs…. What is elite about these specs???? They are on par with regular professions. This fake character progression is really idiotic.

I got Chronomancer and it is ridiculously fun. You lose some survivability (ie. invisibility and no reduced damage taken from not taking chaos line), but you can really optimize for mobs and henchmen.

I flip between Chrono and regular stealth running depending on what I want to do in PvE, and its quite fun optimizing a build for a specific task or mission.