Guild Armor and Weapons

Guild Armor and Weapons

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Pilgrim.1436

Pilgrim.1436

Why do i have to get crystalline ore to unlock the recipes for GUILD armor and weapons?

shouldnt be the guild currency enough to get guild related skins?

i understand (not agree) that u want to lock stuff into map currency to force the players to play a map (??) but it doesnt make sense that something thats not related with that map and that it already has its own currency (obtained by playing with ur guild) is tied to the currency of that map.

plz fix

Guild Armor and Weapons

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Doesn’t need a fix, since it’s not broken.
The reason it needs crystalline ore is to make it artificially rarer, so that not everyone is running around with it.

It really only needs one (successful) run of dragon’s stand to get the 40 crystalline ore though.

There’s 6 noxious pods per camp (when all events done successfully) times 6 camps which is at least 36 crystalline ore.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Guild Armor and Weapons

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

The reason it needs crystalline ore is to make it artificially rarer, so that not everyone is running around with it.

It really only needs one (successful) run of dragon’s stand to get the 40 crystalline ore though.

There’s 6 noxious pods per camp (when all events done successfully) times 6 camps which is at least 36 crystalline ore.

Not every pod drops ore. Even with the additional post-victory areas pods added to all the camps ones, it’s not really uncommon to end with less than 40 ore. Besides, it requires an over-hour long single meta. Just to get enough for one piece of armor.

It would have been better if they just used higher guild commendations cost, or some other guild based resource (like those shimmering/tenebrous crystals), instead of basing it on farming a specific, single map in the game. Over and over and over and over again.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Guild Armor and Weapons

FrizzFreston.5290

Not every pod drops ore. It would have been better if they just used higher guild commendations cost, or some other guild based resource, instead of basing it on farming a specific, single map in the game. Over and over and over and over again.

And some drop 3 or even 10. I’m pretty sure it balances out upwards rather than downwards. And I only called the camps, there’s some in between as well and on a successful run there’s even more.

So for one weapon you just really need to do the map once. So for the full set about 32 times. If you really care to have them all anyway.

Doing Dragon’s Stand once for one weapon is hardly farming over and over and over again. Even Dungeons are grindier.

Guild Armor and Weapons

Posted by: JaddynnStarr.5201

JaddynnStarr.5201

I will have to disagree, you can make things artificially rare without gating them behind a 2 hour map. And who says a guild item has to be RARE to begin with. Legendarys should be rare…. ascendeds should be rare… simple guild skins do not need to be RARE. You also need a hell of a lot more then 40 ore to get a full set of the skins. it takes 40 per piece…. x6 =240 crystalline ore per set. Also consider theres 3 sets so you need 720 crystalline ore for all 3 sets. Then theres each of the weapons… which have a shimmer and a tenebrous skin, so take all those times 2 and you can see you are gonna need to spend a few months in DS to get all the skins you want. that’s IF you have a solid 8-12 hours of play time per day….

edit: and if the events are successful…. we still get fail maps.

Guild Armor and Weapons

FrizzFreston.5290

I don’t think 6 times dragon’s stand successfully is a huge deal for an armor set. That’s about a week if you do it once every day of the week. Granted you have the machetes I suppose.

But maybe that’s just me then.

Guild Armor and Weapons

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

I did a run of dragon stand today and opened 85 noxious pods in one run which yielded over 100 crystalline ores. So crystalline ore is hardly a problem anymore after April patch.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Guild Armor and Weapons

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

I did a run of dragon stand today and opened 85 noxious pods in one run which yielded over 100 crystalline ores. So crystalline ore is hardly a problem anymore after April patch.

I know… the April patch has made the ore so much more abundant. I never bother buying machetes anymore, I just use what I am awarded and leave a bunch of unopened pods.

Guild Armor and Weapons

JaddynnStarr.5201

@Malediktus Hmmm your going to have to share the location of the extra pods with me then. by my count you have 30 with all the camps, end reward areas have an additional 15-20 with 5-7 random across the map. thats around 50-55 on average. Where are you finding the additional 30+ pods at?

Guild Armor and Weapons

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

@Malediktus Hmmm your going to have to share the location of the extra pods with me then. by my count you have 30 with all the camps, end reward areas have an additional 15-20 with 5-7 random across the map. thats around 50-55 on average. Where are you finding the additional 30+ pods at?

DS Multimap!!!! ;D ;D

Guild Armor and Weapons

JaddynnStarr.5201

I should have thought of that… im part of AB and EB for goodness sakes…. ugh… that means a potential 150 then!

Guild Armor and Weapons

Astralporing.1957

That was a joke, you can’t really multimap DS. While the meta is running, any map that is going to do the events is going to be filled to the max within minutes, and after the boss is killed the instance gets locked.

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Guild Armor and Weapons

Malediktus.3740

I dont have a map, but I did another run and found 88 pods, I think I could push it to at least 90

Guild Armor and Weapons

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

You can’t even unlock the ability to buy the recipes until you have a pretty high-level guild, that keeps them rare enough.

There’s really no reason for guild weapon/armor recipes to cost crystalline ore at all, especially when they also cost guild commendations (and every shimmering/tenebrous weapon requires a regular guild weapon as crafting material, and that costs commendations too). It doesn’t even make any sense, there’s nothing DS-related about these items.

(also the cost of the minipets are ludicrous, especially considering how uninteresting most of them are, but that’s another topic).

Guild Armor and Weapons

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

You can’t even unlock the ability to buy the recipes until you have a pretty high-level guild, that keeps them rare enough.

There’s really no reason for guild weapon/armor recipes to cost crystalline ore at all, especially when they also cost guild commendations (and every shimmering/tenebrous weapon requires a regular guild weapon as crafting material, and that costs commendations too). It doesn’t even make any sense, there’s nothing DS-related about these items.

(also the cost of the minipets are ludicrous, especially considering how uninteresting most of them are, but that’s another topic).

I agree, it doesn’t make sense but it is the way it is

Guild Armor and Weapons

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

That was a joke, you can’t really multimap DS. While the meta is running, any map that is going to do the events is going to be filled to the max within minutes, and after the boss is killed the instance gets locked.

That is not quite true. Prior to the April patch jumping between DS instances or with different characters was a great way to get the Ore. It does depend on how many characters you have.

Guild Armor and Weapons

Malediktus.3740

The guild hall level is not a prestige factor anymore. Plenty of community guilds have lvl 40+ and are more than welcome to invite you to buy the recipes.

Guild Armor and Weapons

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

Not every pod drops ore.

Since the April patch, and maybe even the January one, every pod drops at least one Crystalline Ore.

There are six camps to conquer on the way, two on each path, giving 36 pods there. There are going to be 4-5 pods just naturally along the way on each path as well, and usually a pod underneath each Blighting Tower as well. After finishing the map, the four reward areas with champion/legendary bosses get pods, with 5-7 in the Spider and Mushroom areas, and around 10-15 in the Wyvern and Saurian areas. With the extra post-meta time given, you can get over 80 pods, though the Saurian area in particular can be a pain to harvest them from.

I rarely see people go to the Wyvern area, located east of the end of the northern path’s meta. The pods there are very easy to find and harvest without being attacked. It often pops up a Rich Orichalcum Node as well when the meta ends.

Guild Armor and Weapons

Khisanth.2948

Not every pod drops ore.

Since the April patch, and maybe even the January one, every pod drops at least one Crystalline Ore.

It was like that even before the April patch. I remember because when I was making Astralaria I thought the most horrible thing to get was going to be the Crystalline Ore but it turned out to be not too bad because I always got at least one and sometimes 10. As it turns out the really horrible thing to get was the Ley Line Sparks.

Guild Armor and Weapons

Posted by: HnRkLnXqZ.1870

HnRkLnXqZ.1870

Many months ago our small, free-for-all & relax guild was level 8. When our leader and I first discovered the recipes and skins for the guild armor and weapons. I only wanted the armorer, he wanted the Tenebrous Weapons as well. It took us many months, thousands of gold and ridiculous ammounts of materials. Not to mention the stuip flax grind. The guild has changed a lot, concept wise and the guildhall became a nice place – although only about 5 % of our members really visit it. We like it and we enjoy the hall with all the perks we unlocked. Few weeks ago we finally unlocked the weapon-recipes.

The only thing which prevents me and many others in our guild from using the vendor are the crystalline ores. Because we do not farm DS. The only person who farms DS is our leader. And a few people who actually do not care about the guild armor/wepons.
Well I guess it could be worse. They could lock every recipe behind another 10k flax I guess?

But the crystalline ores ruined the armors and weapons for me. I’m so frustrated, I don’t want them anymore! Few weeks ago I wanted to change part of my armor/weapon-stats. The recipes for the inscriptions also consumed the crystalline ore. Took me an entire week to collect all the ore – and no will not farm that map because ANet wants me to. I also do not PvP although ANet wants me to. ANet wants me to play PvP and join the tournaments, as they put so much money in there. I’m not interested in PvP and I’m not interested in DS.

Well. Thats it. After all the work we’ve put in, no skins. It was a huge disappointment. Nearly as huge as the one after we completed Tier 1 of the PvP arena. But on the other hand it is a common theme in the guildhall.

Instead I started to decorate the guildhall now. Ofcourse the good decorations are once again locked behind a huge list of materials, lots of flax ofcourse, and tons of other expensive stuff. We have one scribe. It is quite impressive how much a scribe with level 300 can NOT craft. Still the guildhall is a nice place now. I enjoy what I have and try not to be sad about what is locked away.

dulfy-effect: Knowledge is power. But without fame, you are just a freak.

Guild Armor and Weapons

Khisanth.2948

The only thing which prevents me and many others in our guild from using the vendor are the crystalline ores. Because we do not farm DS. The only person who farms DS is our leader. And a few people who actually do not care about the guild armor/wepons.
Well I guess it could be worse. They could lock every recipe behind another 10k flax I guess?

That wouldn’t be worse because you can buy the flax which means you can get it by doing pretty much anything. Flax is also a random loot drop.

Guild Armor and Weapons

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Why shouldn’t everyone who belongs to a Guild be able to “run around” wearing Guild gear?

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Guild Armor and Weapons

FrizzFreston.5290

Why shouldn’t everyone who belongs to a Guild be able to “run around” wearing Guild gear?

I didn’t make it, you know, ask ArenaNet. I can only speculate that merely having the merchant available isn’t very prestigious at some point. Which is why it has a cost. I don’t really see the added cost of crystalline ore as too big a hurdle though. So it’s just so that it adds more value to the weapons than simply unlocking the merchant. Which is a fairly small cost for a big guild, or people could easily leech. Now they have to put in some effort themselves as well. I can only guess that that is the reason.

It’s just not broken is what I meant mostly, and getting the crystalline Ore isn’t super impossible either. More guild commendations could be a solution but making people grind that doesn’t seem really nice either if it was 40 guild commendations. Dragon’s stand is more suitable to play over and over, and there are very little other HoT currencies that fit the same spot.

But other than that, I think this is mostly to do with Dragon’s Stand being not very liked rather than anything else. I’m sure they thought it would be more popular. But I think the map mechanics of events not starting unless you have 15 players, and ending and killing your progress in one fell swoop, which possibly is why you need 15 players to start it, but still why do the map if you can’t do anything by yourself in it if it’s too empty. It’s a very finicky design in my opinion.

Guild Armor and Weapons

Djinn.9245

I didn’t make it, you know, ask ArenaNet. I can only speculate

So you’re just guessing that it needs crystalline ore to make it more rare and presenting your guess as fact?

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Guild Armor and Weapons

FrizzFreston.5290

I didn’t make it, you know, ask ArenaNet. I can only speculate

So you’re just guessing that it needs crystalline ore to make it more rare and presenting your guess as fact?

It’s a logical deduction. It needs more stuff, so it takes more effort, thus you see it less often as not everyone is willing to put in that effort. Super simple logic lol.

Your question was WHY it needs to be more rare, and that I dunno for sure.

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)

Guild Armor and Weapons

Malediktus.3740

It is not just guild gear, it is ornate guild gear. Why should everyone be able to run around in ornate gear?
There is also non ornate guild gear, but I think it is not available anymore (used to come from pvp).

Guild Armor and Weapons

Djinn.9245

It is not just guild gear, it is ornate guild gear. Why should everyone be able to run around in ornate gear?
There is also non ornate guild gear, but I think it is not available anymore (used to come from pvp).

So there actually ISN’T non-ornate guild gear. So my question remains: Why shouldn’t everyone who belongs to a Guild be able to “run around” wearing (the only) Guild gear?

Guild Armor and Weapons

Astralporing.1957

It’s a logical deduction. It needs more stuff, so it takes more effort, thus you see it less often as not everyone is willing to put in that effort. Super simple logic lol.

Not really. There’s a much simpler explanation after all – that it (as well as a lot of other things) costs crystalline ore because Anet wanted everyone to farm DS. A lot.
Which only shows they doubted even then that those areas would be interesting to players in the long run.

Actions, not words.

Guild Armor and Weapons

FrizzFreston.5290

Not really. There’s a much simpler explanation after all – that it (as well as a lot of other things) costs crystalline ore because Anet wanted everyone to farm DS. A lot.
Which only shows they doubted even then that those areas would be interesting to players in the long run.

That’s not really sound logic, in my opinion. First of all, I doubt that ArenaNet had this goal of making everyone farm Dragon’s Stand because they thought it wouldn’t be fun enough on its own. ArenaNet usually stands behind their product, more often than saying oh we don’t think this will be fun, but we put it in anyway. That doesn’t sound like ArenaNet (Or any game company for that matter). I’m pretty sure they believed Dragon’s Stand to be fairly amazing, and that people would farm there eventually, instead of Auric Basin.

Secondly, since Machetes cost all the previous map currencies, and the noxious pods rewarding all the ascended materials for fulgurite, making DS the endgame of HoT so to speak, I’m fairly sure that the guild team found crystalline ore to be the most encompassing currency of HoT. And they wanted Guild weapons and armor to have this additional value within HoT beyond just commendations.

FOr which the reason would be that they wanted to keep it for people who actually bought HoT (thus a HoT currency, rather than anything else).

In either case it will always be additional/more stuff in order to make it more prestige/ more rare. Regardless of where ArenaNet wants us to get it from.

Regarding the “old” Guild armor. The chestpieces were the only old guild armor pieces that were unique, and those are still available.
The armorsets those chest pieces belong to were a bit harder to find but they are Banded armor(rare drop) for heavy, Devout armor(lvl 15-25 karma vendor armor) for light and Council Watch armor(caudacus’ manor) for medium. If you swap out the chest piece of those armors for one of the guild chest armors you have the old guild armor sets. They discontinued the rest of the PvP sets as the skins were identical.

Guild Armor and Weapons

JaddynnStarr.5201

so we have just made a circle…. ugh. one of the two needs to change. either drop the crystalline cost of the recipe, or adjust the map so its not a 2 hour tedious crawl fest thru endless mobs. I understand they want the map to be epic in scale and grandiose in its glorious fighting!!! we want that too, but the current state of DS is neither of those.

Guild Armor and Weapons

Malediktus.3740

So there actually ISN’T non-ornate guild gear. So my question remains: Why shouldn’t everyone who belongs to a Guild be able to “run around” wearing (the only) Guild gear?

It exists, I have the old non ornate guild armors. You could go beg armor to add them to the legacy armor boxes.

Guild Armor and Weapons

Djinn.9245

It exists, I have the old non ornate guild armors. You could go beg armor to add them to the legacy armor boxes.

I meant available of course… O.o

Guild Armor and Weapons

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Hm… if one of the problems is being stuck in one map, that could be solved by using existing maps to make new stuff:

• Using Arah dungeon as the base for a final map in Orr, with a final boss in a shared city of Arah map in which we actually defeat the felled Zhaitan. The story of the ‘explorable zone’ version of Arah would intermingle with Victory or Death, but as troops following the ships on the ground and pushing the front line instead flying. At the end of the map-wide meta event, the event of Victory or Death happen, and players reach the Dragon’s nest, and Zhaitan falls from far above, a the pact forces lead by players finish what’s left of him: Head, torso and one arm, while fending off undead dragons, kings, eyes, mouths, abominations and other elite risen forces.
    • In this Arah map players can earn some crystalline ore, but not as much as in Dragon’s Stand, since it’s core content and enemies will be relatively easier.
  • Every expansion’s final open world fight will also give some crystalline ore, more or less at the same rate as Dragon’s Stand.
  • Crystalline ore keeps being used as an end-game material, but now it can be earned in more places instead by repeating just one map ad nauseam.
SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!