Guild Hall Decoration Enhancements

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Zarenda Mal.1364

Zarenda Mal.1364

We have been discussing the issues around using the guild hall and the arena decorations for various things, and several issues have arisen. They all boil down to:

Can we have the following abilities?

1. Save GH decorations as: <name>.
2. Remove all GH decorations.
3. Restore GH decorations from: <name>.

Same for the arena.

Having these abilities would allow us to have a standard look for our guild hall that we can save off, and then allow us to create themed looks for special events, jumping puzzles, etc.

This is even more important with the arena, where we might want to create various game modes and we wouldn’t want to just throw all that work away later.

Even if you can’t do it yet,please consider it strongly, since it will make a powerful feature really useful.

Where these get stored is obviously an issue, and how many slots if you have to store them server side is also an issue, but I doubt they take up that much space, compared to other stuff.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Many of your questions were answered in the Guild Halls Guild Chat videos. You can find them on Twitch, and likely on YouTube now, as well.

Good luck.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Inculpatus, I think the OP is asking for decoration templates as an option for future development, not asking how decoration works. So instead of having to rebuild all your regular stuff after rearranging for a holiday, you can just say “load normal theme” and voila, it’s back where it was. Then you can re-save the “normal” theme whenever you add stuff to it, and go nuts with holiday themes when seasonally appropriate.

Seems like a cool idea to me, perhaps even more useful than gear/build templates as those just require some tedious clicking whereas it will be very difficult to remember exactly where you had each wall and item in the Hall, let alone precisely reposition it all in the same places, once you have 2000 items scattered over a large map.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

And, as I said, the Devs addressed that ‘feature’ in the Guild Chats. Seth, I believe, stated there were no templates to save decoration themes. Removal is done with 3 sizes of ‘erasers’. Arenas placements are saved if at least one person remains, though I’m a bit fuzzy on that one.

(To save time, I believe the questions were answered on the last Guild Chat, so one might start there, but I could be mistaken on which one.)

That’s why watching the Guild Chats might be informative. Up to Op, of course.

Posted by: Seth Moonshadow.2710

Seth Moonshadow.2710

I would prefer to see reusable Guild Hall decorations rather than having to buy 10’s or 100’s of the same thing in order to decorate our halls. More like how skins are used or as an unlock.

| Dungeon Adventures | Blackgate | PvE | Lost Precipice | Gilded Hallow | Windswept Haven (soon)
http://www.dungeon-adventures.com

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Oh, and I believe once a decoration is ‘erased’/removed, it goes back into ‘storage’ to be used again.

Again, addressed in said Guild Chats.

Seth Moonshadow.2710

Oh, and I believe once a decoration is ‘erased’/removed, it goes back into ‘storage’ to be used again.

Again, addressed in said Guild Chats.

Not according to the video. If you erase the item it is deleted and you must either place another one or buy a replacement for it. Check it out Decorations

| Dungeon Adventures | Blackgate | PvE | Lost Precipice | Gilded Hallow | Windswept Haven (soon)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Then, my bad. Thanks for the information.

Edit: I watched the stream, and at 40:43, Seth stated you never lose any decorations placed. If you remove it, it goes back into inventory. So….maybe I am interpreting what he said in another way.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Seth Moonshadow.2710

No Problem. Bummer that it gets deleted

hope that does not happen to our rare Mordremoths banes one!

Inculpatus cedo.9234

See above. It doesn’t.

Seth Moonshadow.2710

Edit: I watched the stream, and at 40:43, Seth stated you never lose any decorations placed. If you remove it, it goes back into inventory. So….maybe I am interpreting what he said in another way.

Well, yeah. If you placed them they are not lost or removed and therefore the UI shows the “difference between the two”. Notice that the 5 buckets are no tin his inventory anymore? They are talking about Placements not after you “remove” an item.

Good Luck

Besides, the point of this post is about asking for changes to what we have already seen or read. We are not talking about what is we are talking about what changes we would like to see.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

O…k…

Posted by: Alina Chadwick

Alina Chadwick

Gameplay Programmer

To clarify any confusion. Once your guild has a decoration it has it. You can place it, erase it, and place it again as many times as you want.
Placing a decoration does NOT destroy the decoration.

Edit: What this means is that buying another decoration will increase the total number of that decoration you can have placed in your Guild Hall at once.

The only way to loose a decoration is to use it in a scribing recipe (you will loose the old one and gain the improved one).

(edited by Alina Chadwick.8264)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Thanks, Seth, for the clarification. =)

Seth Moonshadow.2710

To clarify any confusion. Once your guild has a decoration it has it. You can place it, erase it, and place it again as many times as you want.
Placing a decoration does NOT destroy the decoration.

Edit: What this means is that buying another decoration will increase the total number of that decoration you can have placed in your Guild Hall at once.

The only way to loose a decoration is to use it in a scribing recipe (you will loose the old one and gain the improved one).

Thank You very much for this clarification Seth. I am relieved that my Mordremoth’s Banes will not be as useless as I feared.

Unfortunately this still is not as awesome as I had hoped. For just 250 different decorations, it will cost 125 gold. Another 100 gold for the expedition and another 100 gold for a merchant, repair station and vault. 300 gold just to have a decently decorated and basic functions of a guild hall? And we have yet to see the prices for tiers 2-6 of the upgrades.

Absolutely awesome concept for the design of the guild halls. Cost of guild halls it becoming quite high sadly. True, numbers are still being “balanced”

I guess we’ll see Oct. 23rd

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

why are you complaining about the gold cost? These things are always meant to cost gold

Posted by: Zarenda Mal.1364

Zarenda Mal.1364

And, as I said, the Devs addressed that ‘feature’ in the Guild Chats. Seth, I believe, stated there were no templates to save decoration themes. Removal is done with 3 sizes of ‘erasers’. Arenas placements are saved if at least one person remains, though I’m a bit fuzzy on that one.

(To save time, I believe the questions were answered on the last Guild Chat, so one might start there, but I could be mistaken on which one.)

That’s why watching the Guild Chats might be informative. Up to Op, of course.

Actually I watched those. If you read my original post you would see that I was asking for the ability to save, clear and reload complete templates. I appreciate that this functionality isn’t in there yet, but one of the stated goals of the guild halls is that we the players could create new game modes.

I have been designing software systems for 30+ years, and as a result I tend to immediately think about the consequences of something in software. For me that means that I see the bottlenecks that can be resolved with a bit of thought. In a 500-person guild, there will be numerous people who want to decorate the hall or the arena, design new game modes, etc. With the current situation, it will greatly inhibit our ability to create new game modes, do special designs for holidays, etc.

I am not looking for this immediately, but I see it as being a very worthwhile enhancement that supports the original goal of helping players create new game modes.

Posted by: kooiu.2457

kooiu.2457

+1 to save some intermediate work. Those decorators can be dangerous.