Guild Halls Done Right

Guild Halls Done Right

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: ToothyMcFang.2305

ToothyMcFang.2305

I am in the process of working with my small guild to upgrade my guild hall. Since I’m in the leadership of the guild, I can see clearly what it’s like to get the required materials to purchase each upgrade. I am completely in favor of the current system in place for Guild Halls.

The correct mentality is needed to enjoy the experience. Any player who has the mentality that they “must get all of the possible upgrades right away” is going to be disappointed. This is not a fast-paced MOBA; this is not an RTS where you can build an entire base in a matter of minutes; and I could list countless other examples. This is an MMORPG, where things take time but are rewarding.

If you try to get all of the upgrades alone, you will be overwhelmed. That’s why you are in a Guild. The task is meant to be done as a team. If you take a team and gather elder wood and mithril in Orr, or go to Dry Top and Silverwastes for Coarse Sand, it goes infinitely faster than if you go farm alone. Plus, it’s more fun to be in the company of your friends.

Even working together, a Guild Hall takes time to build. It is meant to be that way. It makes sense. And it is satisfying to see it coming together as time goes on. It should be expected by everyone that it will take time and effort.

The way Guild Halls are set up encourages the mentality of team work. It is up to players to accept that mentality. Doing it alone, and doing it all at once, is NOT what the game is about, and having that mentality is going to make you mad. Embrace the mentality of teamwork and gradual progression, and you will be much more satisfied with the results.

The game was NOT meant to be played like this: farm farm farm all day every day until you get all the rewards you can possibly get. It is much healthier to do this: spend a little time every day helping gather materials for the guild hall, and then spend the rest of the time doing what you enjoy, be it dungeons, exploring, gliding, jumping puzzles, PvP, or WvW, or any other thing. You will be surprised to find that you will not only be happier, but you will still get the upgraded guild hall that you want.

Yes, I have every alt that I am not currently actively playing at the Daily Flax Farm. I do that because that means I spend just a few minutes on my characters gathering, and then I switch to my main for the activities that I actively want to do. It also means that I am contributing to my guild hall every day, which is something that I want. I do more farming than that for the guild hall, but that is the example that I am sharing.

Guild Halls do NOT demand that you build ALL of the upgrades in ALL of the branches. There are guilds with a PvP focus, so they are meant to spend most of their focus on the PvP branch of the guild hall. There are also plenty of guilds that do not do much PvP, so that part of their guild hall is left unbuilt for a long time. It is meant to be that way. There is no shame in not having EVERY upgrade. You are meant to get the ones that you will use.

The materials required is realistic and possible.

I have an example from real life that I want to share: I was baffled to read in the newspaper that one bridge across a river cost more than 11 million dollars to complete. Yes, the project took several years, but it’s still staggering to me. The point of me sharing this example is that now I understand better the actual costs of construction. Bearing that in mind, the amount of materials required for certain things makes much more sense.

It’s possible that some things need to be tweaked, but if Anet decides to make those changes, I will accept that too. Heart of Thorns has not even been out for one month yet, and I know expecting everything to be perfect right away is unrealistic and ridiculous. If people could get a glimpse of Anet’s side of this game and issue, they might complain less and praise them more. This is a huge update all at once, and they have to monitor and work on current content AT THE SAME TIME as working on making new content.

My bottom line is this: learn to be patient, and you will be much happier.

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

Thank you! The forums are just chock full of these “i need it NOW” whiners and it’s nice to see someone who understands that these things are supposed to take time and are meant to be a journey the Guild takes together. For the first upgrade my guild was a little taken aback at the silky sand cost for making the mugs, but we split into temas to farm in the Silverwastes and some of the PvP tracks and got it in an hour or two (and had some great conversations and fun while doing it).

The Instant Gratification mentality that pervades the forums is going to be the death of GW2 someday. Whatever happened to enjoying the journey?

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

The only problem I have with this is that I was able to contribute to my guild by PLAYING the game. It didn’t matter what I did, whether it was PVE or WvW events, running dungeons or doing guild missions, influence grew from PLAYING the way we wanted to PLAY.

That is out now. Now you have to grind, grind, grind. Grind mats and gold for upgrades. Grind mats and gold for scribing. Grind, grind, grind for masteries. Grind grind grind the new zones hoping for a successful meta to get a pittance of new materials needed for hall upgrades. Grind for ley line tools, grind for kegs, grind for glass mugs, grind for sand, grind for flax.

And I am in an extremely large PVx guild, I can only imagine what it is like for a small WvW focused guild who just saw their net worth plummet and their operating costs skyrocket. These guilds typically don’t touch PVE areas, but now they have to grind grind grind them just to get some rudimentary WvW upgrades from their hall.

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

The only problem I have with this is that I was able to contribute to my guild by PLAYING the game. It didn’t matter what I did, whether it was PVE or WvW events, running dungeons or doing guild missions, influence grew from PLAYING the way we wanted to PLAY.

That is out now. Now you have to grind, grind, grind. Grind mats and gold for upgrades. Grind mats and gold for scribing. Grind, grind, grind for masteries. Grind grind grind the new zones hoping for a successful meta to get a pittance of new materials needed for hall upgrades. Grind for ley line tools, grind for kegs, grind for glass mugs, grind for sand, grind for flax.

And I am in an extremely large PVx guild, I can only imagine what it is like for a small WvW focused guild who just saw their net worth plummet and their operating costs skyrocket. These guilds typically don’t touch PVE areas, but now they have to grind grind grind them just to get some rudimentary WvW upgrades from their hall.

Grinding for the most efficient means of influence in the old system is no different than grinding for the most efficient means of materials in the new one. Grinding for gold was the most efficient way to progress the old system as well

What has changed is that it’s not a passive system any more. I understand why some people don’t like this, but I feel its an improvement. It was always silly to get guild features for “free” while needing to “work” for personal upgrades, features, and shinies.

Now you have to invest materials, and that comes at the expense of personal gain, making the new system much more of a team effort rather than something that “just happens”

In the new system, a small guild that makes an effort to take on the project as a team can actually advance faster than the large guild that doesn’t do anything but wear a guild tag and solo.

It is my personal opinion this is an improvement, though I understand some people liked the old passive and effortless system.

I do agree with you in terms of WvW though. The cost of upgrading and using the new tactics system was designed without a single though as to how to improve income for active WvW guilds that are using it. Guild claiming and holding objectives should somehow offset the cost of using tactics, as the way the system is now tactics are a huge cash sink that is even worse than the old wvw money pit.

War room upgrades should revolve around wvw materials gained from playing wvw successfully, and tactics should require mats gained exclusively from playing wvw successfully.

The PvE end of the system is fine. It requires a diverse array of PvE content. The arena is also fine. It’s cheap to obtain and the upgrades are sandbox toys that are completely optional.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: Klaugh.7415

Klaugh.7415

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_upgrade

Many of those upgrades do create a sense of urgency, especially for WvW. Having those upgrades in place adds depth to the game mode, so it’s understandable that a lot of guilds are trying to rush them.

There’s also some upfront frustration, because many of the benefits we had access to before Guild Halls have been taken away and locked behind upgrades. It’s not fun sacrificing all your crafting mats to get back something you already had.

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

And this is why myself and guild members quit WvW. We now have to grind for buffs we already had and stripped away. Have fun with the new system.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

God, it never gets old does it. This telling other people how they’re supposed to play the game nonsense.

It’s one thing to offer a suggestion. It’s a whole other thing to pretend like subjective mindsets are objectively wrong.

As it is, the OP reads like Stockholm Syndrome grade stuff. “It’s not that bad once you just accept your fate and realize that you have no power in how this will work.” It’s a little scary tbh.

Or words to that effect.

Guild Halls Done Right

UnbentMars.9126

And this is why myself and guild members quit WvW. We now have to grind for buffs we already had and stripped away. Have fun with the new system.

Good for you, I hope you find somewhere you like better.

Why do people who don’t even play insist on coming to the forums and raining on everyone else’s parade?

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: Kamirose.4986

Kamirose.4986

My main wish is that the materials needed scaled with the size of the guild. I wouldn’t mind having to put together like 300g worth of materials between everyone in my 15 person guild, if a guild with 450 members had to get together more like 600g or more.

The current system just sees small guilds punished and large guilds incentivised. We can’t wrangle enough people to get more than the easy mission done each week, so we have to wait a full week to upgrade our guild hall even though we’re all active (just at different times) and we have ALL of the required materials except for favor. Meanwhile, 200+ member guilds have had an easier time getting upgrades, so people leave or stop repping smaller guilds in favor of those large guilds because hey, there they can get their WvW, Magic Find, EXP etc bonuses that my small, close-knit guild can’t provide yet.

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

Why do people who don’t even play insist on coming to the forums and raining on everyone else’s parade?

And what I see here is someone defending the changes, raining on the “parade” of all those who got completely screwed with the new system.

Its not fun to lose absolutely everything you had for no reason, and if you aren’t someone who lost all of your hard work over the last few years from HoT, then you really should not be here and should not be discussing the subject. Its like popping into a school reunion for a school that you never went to.

Its okay to compliment things, but stick to complimenting things that are not directly and indescriminately bad for your fellow players.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: Brangwen Liana.5632

Brangwen Liana.5632

In the old set up we had everything unlocked except the puzzles. We regularly kept buffs on the guild of karma, exp, magic find and gathering. We WvW, so frequently ran the +5 supply buff. When the release came out and the system was re-worked, it was frustrating to lose the ability we had before. At the tavern we added in the merchant to allow 1 24 hour buff, so far just exp and karma are available. We used to run multiples and I don’t see anything showing that will allow multiple buffs for a guildie like before. I would like to see that functionality added back in.

We are level 18 so far with the guild and steadily building our better mouse trap. We are enjoying the experience of making our guild hall grand. Do I wish it was less expensive and took a shorter time? Of course. I knew though from watching Twitch and all the interview regarding the guild hall, what to expect. I went into it with knowledge. Building your guild hall is like building a great big puzzle. Each piece impacts a build in another building toward another upgrade for the benefit of the guild.

I spent a lot of hours piecing together my guild’s battle plan, and I enjoyed that experience, and my guild is enjoying the fun of building that hall together.

So far I am liking the changes over all. I would like to see the ability for multiple buffs to be run simultaneously, and it would be nice if some of the reqs were not quite so pricey. A good for instance is the necessity for PvP Reward Potions. My guild likes PvP, but we are not a seasoned team. Since there is no ranked stuff going on right now, the ranked teams are playing unranked and making it really hard for those of us playing unranked to win anything.

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

God, it never gets old does it. This telling other people how they’re supposed to play the game nonsense.

It’s one thing to offer a suggestion. It’s a whole other thing to pretend like subjective mindsets are objectively wrong.

As it is, the OP reads like Stockholm Syndrome grade stuff. “It’s not that bad once you just accept your fate and realize that you have no power in how this will work.” It’s a little scary tbh.

Completely agree. The OP acts as if our guilds have not already gone through the process to provide boosts and buffs to our members. We did. I’m happy the OP is happy. But, that doesn’t make me any happier with the changes and the way they’ve been handled. I love the guild hall. I don’t love dumping personal wealth into it. I don’t love that our GUILD doesn’t earn the things that we need for upgrades and instead the mats and gold has to come from individual players.

If there were map rewards for guilds the way there are for individuals, so that when players from a guild were teamed up on the same map the rewards were guild rewards going to the guild upgrades that would be cool. But the way they’ve done things isn’t good, and taking away what we had already achieved totally sucks.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Guild Halls Done Right

UnbentMars.9126

And what I see here is someone defending the changes, raining on the “parade” of all those who got completely screwed with the new system.

Its not fun to lose absolutely everything you had for no reason, and if you aren’t someone who lost all of your hard work over the last few years from HoT, then you really should not be here and should not be discussing the subject. Its like popping into a school reunion for a school that you never went to.

Its okay to compliment things, but stick to complimenting things that are not directly and indescriminately bad for your fellow players.

When did I defend the changes? What part of anything I said (all of 2 short sentences) defended the problems that people are having? When did I compliment anything other than their decision to switch to a game they like better? Or did you miss the “Good for you” that I started with?

You’ve put a lot of words in my mouth, and I’m rather curious where you got them from.

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: Mercurias.1826

Mercurias.1826

For what it’s worth, OP, I agree that a stiff challenge makes the reward feel sweeter when you finally get it. I’m also thirty years old, however. It’s easier for me to step back, take a breath, and get a little bit of perspective from the fact that this is only a game.

One of the best memories of a prior MMO involved everyone in my guild throw down an extremely high money goal for a piece of housing and then bend themselves to it. Over the course of a week, my newbie self learned how to craft, gather, and farm alongside much more experienced players while we threw every nickel and time towards the effort.

Eventually we made it, got our house, and by that time were so ambitious that we bought another small house just to prove how awesome we were.

I don’t care that a few things were rewound a little bit. The chance in this game to build a fully functioning base which supports your group has my fingers itching.

I’ve gotten into PvP on this game for the first real time since launch. I played it for hours to save up mats to use for building an arena, and I had a blast.

If you’re having fun, then be glad you’re having fun. Don’t look to the forums for the main opinion of people playing the game, because this place is so freaking salty that it could brine every Thanksgiving turkey about to be cooked in the US at no charge and so self-entitled about it that they’d get mad unless there was a salt achievement.

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

I like the new system overall. But I hate that they took away Influence as a part of the Guild mechanics. Influence was a way for every Guild member to feel useful, in doing what they want to do. There were no need to do what the Guild wants to do. Seriously, Influence could have existed nicely alongside Favor and Aetherium. E.g., you could have a vendor that allows you to buy (x amount of) materials (daily/weekly) that gets deposited directly into the Treasury for upgrades. At the same time, you could allow members to donate as they currently are forced to do, for upgrading their Guild Hall. I see no reason why Influence had to go. A silly design decision if you ask me.

I also thoroughly hate the * Disciplines Research Commemorative Statues that us pre-existing Guilds got. Why in the world would you make it so that there are, for one tiers of statues, meaning if a Guild were unaware of the need to fully upgrade (and you sure didn’t give us much warning about this), they could be stuck now with say the Majority statue, wanting that Comprehensive one. And what about Guilds made after HoT? In the years to come? Why should there be decorations that they can not receive? I would rather see these statues taken away. You already wiped most of my effort, in time, Gold and real money (in some Gems to Gold conversions) from the past 3 years. Getting some statues is just insulting. Make them something that Guilds can earn, and they’re cool, but not when they are just reminders of all the money you just flushed into the toilet for me, and something new Guilds will be unable to obtain.

That said, I do think the upgrade paths available within the Halls are fairly alright. I mean, even as a smaller Guild, let’s say you are 5 players. To gather say 1000 Flax, all you need to do, is set aside a bit of time each day to run together and collect some Flax nodes in one or more Magus Falls maps. Let’s say you set a goal of gaining 15 Flax per person, per day, as that’s reasonable and rather fast to do, in less than 30 minutes. You’d have what you need in 2 weeks time, with very little effort put into it overall. And you can do that socially, chatting, using VoIP, etc.—the more members the Guild has, the easier this becomes. I am upgrading my solo Guild and are at Lv.11 currently, and aren’t having too much issues getting the upgrades I want as they become available to me. I just need to wait a bit for Aetherium, time I spend playing the game as I want, and that includes gathering if I am out and about in PvE, or WvW. If you need components from Dragon’s Stand, then do that together. Want the Arena? Get up to 6 Potion of PvP Reward from hopping into Unranked with your 5 friends and doing the PvP dailies. You’ll have the potions to unlock that within 2 days. And so on forth.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by Absconditus.6804)

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I find it telling that someone who supports the current system specifically states that enjoying the game is something that you do AFTER working on your guild hall. Even someone who supports this system enough to be motivated to create a topic and write about it at length essentially says that it is not to be enjoyed.

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

My main wish is that the materials needed scaled with the size of the guild. I wouldn’t mind having to put together like 300g worth of materials between everyone in my 15 person guild, if a guild with 450 members had to get together more like 600g or more.

The current system just sees small guilds punished and large guilds incentivised. We can’t wrangle enough people to get more than the easy mission done each week, so we have to wait a full week to upgrade our guild hall even though we’re all active (just at different times) and we have ALL of the required materials except for favor. Meanwhile, 200+ member guilds have had an easier time getting upgrades, so people leave or stop repping smaller guilds in favor of those large guilds because hey, there they can get their WvW, Magic Find, EXP etc bonuses that my small, close-knit guild can’t provide yet.

Putting up a counter argument, your perspective is from a small guild perspective that bias towards small guild. From a larger guild perspective, that arrangement will means the larger guilds are taxed for being larger even though they worked to be larger in the first place but they are penalized for what they worked for.

In the pre-HOT context, cost for upgrades are the same for all guilds. So, in that case, why should the cost of upgrades be subjective to guild size in HOT?

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Guild Halls Done Right

ToothyMcFang.2305

This is nothing like Stockholme Syndrome. I am not a prisoner or hostage, and neither are you. I have the freedom to choose to do anything in the world. I enjoy playing games when I have spare time, so I could play any other game. I love this game, and I choose to play it.

I don’t waste time and energy on a nonexistent alternate reality where things are more convenient for me, hoping that Anet will make a patch just for me; I live in this current present, and I make the choice to live with and accept the current circumstances. If I thought that the Guild Hall costs were too difficult for me, then I wouldn’t bother with it.

I’m sharing my opinion, and sharing what helps me to enjoy the game more. I never said that all other opinions were wrong. I did indicate that certain other views wouldn’t enjoy this game or this experience. I offered suggestions on how some other people may enjoy the game more, specifically citing my own experiences as examples. “Individual experience may vary”, after all, so why not try to see the world from someone else’s perspective and learn from it? I am aware of the other viewpoints on the subject; I have seen them both in-game and on the forums. I decided to offer my viewpoint.

I find it telling that someone who supports the current system specifically states that enjoying the game is something that you do AFTER working on your guild hall. Even someone who supports this system enough to be motivated to create a topic and write about it at length essentially says that it is not to be enjoyed.

Where did you hear it said that the only time to enjoy the game is after working on your guild hall?

I gave examples of what I do, which is farm before I get to other activities. I happen to enjoy my time farming, which is why I do it. If I didn’t enjoy it, I wouldn’t do it. It’s that simple.

If I farmed all day every day, I would get sick and tired of it. I’d also get sick and tired of the things I enjoy more, too, if I did those all the time. I enjoy WvW, but if I did that all day I’d be frustrated. I enjoy the daily Activities, but if I did that all day I’d go mad. I know what makes me happy, so that’s why I generally spend a little bit of time doing a variety of activities throughout the day.

And besides that, I have goals. I know that to accomplish my goals, sacrifices must be made. One goal I have is to go to Dry Top and earn enough Geodes so that I can get some Ambrite Weapons. I make time to go to Dry Top and farm events for Geodes. Would I enjoy other activities more? Probably. But I know that I wouldn’t enjoy farming there all day, so I don’t. I spend a little time there, make some progress, and enjoy my time there without overwhelming myself. Now I can also earn Coarse Sand for the guild while I farm Geodes for my personal goal, so it’s doubly rewarding to spend some time farming there.

(edited by ToothyMcFang.2305)

Guild Halls Done Right

Labjax.2465

This is nothing like Stockholme Syndrome. I am not a prisoner or hostage, and neither are you. I have the freedom to choose to do anything in the world. I enjoy playing games when I have spare time, so I could play any other game. I love this game, and I choose to play it.

I don’t waste time and energy on a nonexistent alternate reality where things are more convenient for me, hoping that Anet will make a patch just for me; I live in this current present, and I make the choice to live with and accept the current circumstances. If I thought that the Guild Hall costs were too difficult for me, then I wouldn’t bother with it.

I’m sharing my opinion, and sharing what helps me to enjoy the game more. I never said that all other opinions were wrong. I did indicate that certain other views wouldn’t enjoy this game or this experience. I offered suggestions on how some other people may enjoy the game more, specifically citing my own experiences as examples. “Individual experience may vary”, after all, so why not try to see the world from someone else’s perspective and learn from it? I am aware of the other viewpoints on the subject; I have seen them both in-game and on the forums. I decided to offer my viewpoint.

“The correct mentality is needed to enjoy the experience.”

“learn to be patient, and you will be much happier.”

I’m sorry, but regardless of what your intentions are, telling people what the correct mentality is and suggesting that they learn to be patient is patronizing.

“I live in this current present, and I make the choice to live with and accept the current circumstances.”

Are you really making the choice as much as you think you are though? You just said you love the game. You say you’re not a prisoner or hostage (and obviously you aren’t literally – refuting that point is strawman stuff) but it’s pretty weird the way you talk about learning how to enjoy it and then you say you love the game, too.

It sounds to me like what you’re saying is, you love the game enough that you’re willing to adjust your mentality to make yourself enjoy parts of it. Sounds like kind of an abusive relationship to me. I can’t get inside your head. I’m just saying that’s what it sounds like.

Or words to that effect.

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: citypigeon.6358

citypigeon.6358

godddd i just want to be able to decorate my guild hall without signing a life contract. i will probably go to my grave without ever getting to place some chairs.

IGN: zestalyn
zestalyn.tumblr

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

The most annoying part is the composit elements. I mean if you need 100 sheets of coarse paper for an upgrade, it would be appreciated that instead you could just drop 1000 units of coarse sand, 200 jute scraps and 1500 green wood logs in the treasury . it would lower the threshold for donating a lot more.

EverythingOP

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: Mercurias.1826

Mercurias.1826

“The correct mentality is needed to enjoy the experience.”

“learn to be patient, and you will be much happier.”

I’m sorry, but regardless of what your intentions are, telling people what the correct mentality is and suggesting that they learn to be patient is patronizing.

“I live in this current present, and I make the choice to live with and accept the current circumstances.”

Are you really making the choice as much as you think you are though? You just said you love the game. You say you’re not a prisoner or hostage (and obviously you aren’t literally – refuting that point is strawman stuff) but it’s pretty weird the way you talk about learning how to enjoy it and then you say you love the game, too.

It sounds to me like what you’re saying is, you love the game enough that you’re willing to adjust your mentality to make yourself enjoy parts of it. Sounds like kind of an abusive relationship to me. I can’t get inside your head. I’m just saying that’s what it sounds like.

That’s incorrect, insulting, narcissistic, and stupid all in one post. Good job. I’m sure mommy and daddy are proud.

Not all people have to adjust their mentality to enjoy the game. Many of them simply don’t care about the rinky-dink bonuses that need reclaiming.

Your entire argument for Stockholme’s Sybdrome is so pants-on-head, malignantly kitten that I’m simultaneously angered and feel sorry for you at the same time. You see play time in a video game as being captured, and that probably means you need to liberate yourself by uninstalling, showering, and going outside.

Stockholme’s syndrome is when you have actually been captured or held hostage in the real world and develop sympathy for your captors. It’s as bad, and exactly as mature, as calling your mommy and daddy kittens for not letting you see Saw that one time.

Guild Halls Done Right

Labjax.2465

That’s incorrect, insulting, narcissistic, and stupid all in one post. Good job. I’m sure mommy and daddy are proud.

Not all people have to adjust their mentality to enjoy the game. Many of them simply don’t care about the rinky-dink bonuses that need reclaiming.

Your entire argument for Stockholme’s Sybdrome is so pants-on-head, malignantly kitten that I’m simultaneously angered and feel sorry for you at the same time. You see play time in a video game as being captured, and that probably means you need to liberate yourself by uninstalling, showering, and going outside.

Stockholme’s syndrome is when you have actually been captured or held hostage in the real world and develop sympathy for your captors. It’s as bad, and exactly as mature, as calling your mommy and daddy kittens for not letting you see Saw that one time.

I see you’re pretty angry. Now that you’ve got it out of your system, maybe reevaluate the act of posting disparaging nonsense without examining the context of what you’re replying to.

I’ve noticed throughout my life that when using analogies, people tend to either get it or they don’t. Some of them get that an analogy does not have to be exact to convey a similar kind of meaning. On the other hand, some of them take each and every analogy as a fully literal statement of fact that is supposed to be taken as precise in the same way that a scalpel is precise when performing surgery.

You’ll be a lot better off with those emotions if you start out by assuming that my analogies are not meant to be the latter. You also might be better off with some anger management classes and/or meditation. I’m one dude on an internet forum, you know. I’m not that important in your life and my words are not worth the anger.

The amount of projection in your post is staggering. You tell me to shower and go outside while simultaneously getting angry at an analogy on an internet forum. Just a word of advice: Don’t be hypocritical to my face unless you want to get called out on it. Sweep on your own porch and I will leave you be.

Have a nice day.

Or words to that effect.

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: Taglor Anwamane.9468

Taglor Anwamane.9468

I don’t want all the upgrades in a week. But I would like to get a table and some chairs without needing to jump through flaming hoops and sell my soul.

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Where did you hear it said that the only time to enjoy the game is after working on your guild hall?

Not quite what I said, but in the following quote you state that working on the guild hall is something to be done before doing something that one enjoys. This pretty clearly describes working on a guild as being separate from doing something enjoyable.

spend a little time every day helping gather materials for the guild hall, and then spend the rest of the time doing what you enjoy.

Guild Halls Done Right

ToothyMcFang.2305

Not quite what I said, but in the following quote you state that working on the guild hall is something to be done before doing something that one enjoys. This pretty clearly describes working on a guild as being separate from doing something enjoyable.

spend a little time every day helping gather materials for the guild hall, and then spend the rest of the time doing what you enjoy.

To clarify, let me say this: IF you don’t enjoy farming materials for the guild hall, then do just a little of it before going to things you enjoy; IF you do enjoy farming activities, then by all means enjoy that before you do other things that you also enjoy.

I was stating my original statement based on the idea that many people do not enjoy farming for the guild hall. That was my original statement because of the number of complaints I have seen about guild halls. It is plenty possible for people to enjoy a relaxing activity such as farming for the guild hall. I never intended to suggest that it was a miserable activity for everyone.

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: Red Mistress Denna.9804

Red Mistress Denna.9804

To gather say 1000 Flax, all you need to do, is set aside a bit of time each day to run together and collect some Flax nodes in one or more Magus Falls maps. Let’s say you set a goal of gaining 15 Flax per person, per day, as that’s reasonable and rather fast to do, in less than 30 minutes.

Just as a note: there is (in verdant brink) a flax farm that produces 10-20 flax per day per character. Just need to go there. I get over 100 flax per day by farming on my toons.

Who knew the Jungle was filled with so much Salt
water?! -tonyajc.2618

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

what about getting a hall in the first place?
and no, i am not gonna do something impossible solo, it should be like GW1, a sigl you can buy and then claim your hall.
it’s already a poor thing that there are just 2 halls while GW1 had 6 from the start, the way it’s handled is nothing less from pitiful.

Guild Halls Done Right

Red Mistress Denna.9804

what about getting a hall in the first place?
and no, i am not gonna do something impossible solo, it should be like GW1, a sigl you can buy and then claim your hall.
it’s already a poor thing that there are just 2 halls while GW1 had 6 from the start, the way it’s handled is nothing less from pitiful.

As a Guild Event, requiring more than one person makes a lot of sense. Besides the fact that (supposedly) lead devs said they didn’t consider guilds of less than five to be real guilds.

In regards to the number of guild halls; these halls are a lot more detailed and extensive than GW1. Would I like to see more? Sure. But I’m pretty happy with what they’ve got.

water?! -tonyajc.2618

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: HenleyLegoMan.4987

HenleyLegoMan.4987

Yes I agree that guilds can take a lot of hard work getting it to where you want it. Hard work just like what all the small guilds did to gain influence pre HoT, yet Andy took all that time and hard work and gave them all the middle finger.

What’s to say that when more guild halls are introduced, that the same hard work will once again be required as knowing anet, you will get a barebones hall for sure…

There has never been a good war, or a bad peace.

Guild Halls Done Right

Red Mistress Denna.9804

Yes I agree that guilds can take a lot of hard work getting it to where you want it. Hard work just like what all the small guilds did to gain influence pre HoT, yet Andy took all that time and hard work and gave them all the middle finger.

What’s to say that when more guild halls are introduced, that the same hard work will once again be required as knowing anet, you will get a barebones hall for sure…

They already made it so you can switch Guild Halls without resetting upgrades. You do, however, have to pay the exploration fee and complete the mission again.

Henley, I am of mixed feelings towards the way they handled old guilds moving into new ones. Personally, I am struggling because the official leader is gone (has been for 11 months, can’t contact her, no word if she’s returning) and since, technically, I wasn’t in the leadership rank (although I had full permissions) I did not receive the ability to claim a guild hall. This meant I had to make a clone guild with no influence at all.

Either way; I do think they should add some kind of replacement for the boosts lost, in the short term, while guilds are rebuilt.

water?! -tonyajc.2618

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: tluv.5821

tluv.5821

I don’t see the grind. We all get the materials we need from natural play throughs of the game. get every resource node you see. There is no grind.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians
Formerly [QT] Questionable Tactics

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

The current guild system is a cynical device to strip players of their loot and gold. The old system was much better.

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

OP, give me a call when you start needing scribes in your guild hall. then we’ll see how “balanced” and fair the system is.

I don’t see the grind. We all get the materials we need from natural play throughs of the game. get every resource node you see. There is no grind.

Except you need a TON of materials that only exist in a few mats (ie coarse sand and flax seeds/linseed oil) and its a ton, its not 1, its not 10, its thousands. I just converted 1000+ flax seeds into oil, and still short of what is required for the tier 1 decorations vendor which i need to unlock so our scribe can learn some stuffs, instead of just making book covers on end. So yes, its obstructive to game play, you NEED to grind, and you need to grind in disproportionate amounts to the reward. NOT TO MENTION that consumables for WvW and banners, are ridiculously overpriced.

What i see is fanboy speak, which honestly is not conducive to a better quality game. It simply sets the game back years, because the devs get sidetracked from what’s effectively a biased and unfounded feedback. And honestly, they’ll value more any feedback that seems to validate their current status (because it reflects better on them, and requires less work to address) then calls to change.

(edited by ReaverKane.7598)

Guild Halls Done Right

Red Mistress Denna.9804

OP, give me a call when you start needing scribes in your guild hall. then we’ll see how “balanced” and fair the system is.

Except you need a TON of materials that only exist in a few mats (ie coarse sand and flax seeds/linseed oil) and its a ton, its not 1, its not 10, its thousands. I just converted 1000+ flax seeds into oil, and still short of what is required for the tier 1 decorations vendor which i need to unlock so our scribe can learn some stuffs, instead of just making book covers on end. So yes, its obstructive to game play, you NEED to grind, and you need to grind in disproportionate amounts to the reward. NOT TO MENTION that consumables for WvW and banners, are ridiculously overpriced.

What i see is fanboy speak, which honestly is not conducive to a better quality game. It simply sets the game back years, because the devs get sidetracked from what’s effectively a biased and unfounded feedback. And honestly, they’ll value more any feedback that seems to validate their current status (because it reflects better on them, and requires less work to address) then calls to change.

General ‘this sucks’ moaning and whining don’t help either. (not saying you are, just saying). A lot of people love it, a lot hate it, some are in the middle. Either way, some people don’t find this to be too much of a grind (I don’t, but then again, I just came back from a Korean MMO). Some people think it’s the worst thing to happen to GW2. That’s their opinion. Singling someone out though is just as meaningless as fanboying or wine-and-cheesing.

Personally, while expensive, I don’t find the upgrades to be too high. I do think there should be other options. Maybe scale it so the earlier ‘necessities’ are cheaper but higher tier stuff is more expensive. Maybe add in temporary unlocks for cheaper.

Essentially; the Guild Hall is supposed to be the end game Guild Achievement, and I love it like that. BUT what about in the meantime?

water?! -tonyajc.2618

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

It costs roughly 7000gold to get to the +5 supply buff many guilds had before for WvW.

It also requires about 57 days.

We won’t see all the ramifications of guild halls and WvW buffs until another month passes.

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: Riku.4821

Riku.4821

I will say the costs for " we had this already" buffs are to high. But things like tavern or mine should take time, and resources.

Guild Leader of Lunar Tree[LT].
Officer of Power Overwhelming[ZERK].
First term Forum PvE Specialist.

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

I don’t really think the issues with Guild Halls is predominantly around having to work hard and organised in order to get the hall and all its upgrades.

I do however think a lot of the issues that have been raised to date stem from the absurdly disproportionate amount of costs/effort required by varying guilds sizes in order to achieve anything and within some players lifetime.

Add to that lets not forget ANET laid the previous system out and guilds worked to unlock various items and attainments in order for it to utilise them within the various game modes – but these have been taken away and locked behind forced grind walls in order to unlock them again – whilst at the same time be faced with this totally wacko imbalance in cost/effort just to get back to where they were prior to HoT, let alone going onwards.

Guild Halls Done Right

Posted by: Sungtaro.6493

Sungtaro.6493

It costs roughly 7000gold to get to the +5 supply buff many guilds had before for WvW.

It also requires about 57 days.

We won’t see all the ramifications of guild halls and WvW buffs until another month passes.

At this point, I am just hoping it will actually work by the time my guild unlocks it. To spend 7000 gold and that amount of time to unlock what we had before, and to top it off, if it is bugged, well, that would be very off putting about the whole guild hall process.

Also what would be really nice if the scribed tactics and siege would actually be worth being used.

I am not talking about the unlock, but the production of the blueprint. I should not have to make the choice of whether to actually be positive for the amount of gold I get in a wvw session or save 10 supply on assaulting a tower.

Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence.