Guild Wars 2 HOT for MAC

Guild Wars 2 HOT for MAC

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: KTNZ.8650

KTNZ.8650

Hello,

I can’t find official information on main website so i will ask it here. Current GW2 is Cider port on MAC. How about Expansion? Will it be finally fully written and adopted for MAC or it will be another emulated version that eats enormous resources and even on TOP Macbook Pro you need to play on half graphics?
Im asking as if i will need to spend another 50 Euro then i want it to work for my device as native game and use its potential not loose half of processing power just to open game in emulated environment.

Thanks.

Guild Wars 2 HOT for MAC

Posted by: Moira Shalaar.5620

Moira Shalaar.5620

A lot of us Mac players would love to see a genuine native client. However from the tidbits we hear everything seems to be that HoT will continue to use the existing framework and simply expand the content available within that framework. If they do have an updated Mac client planned it has been kept entirely under wraps. Given the overall tenor of ANET’s response they are sympathetic to our situation but do not have any resources to dedicate to us as a very small component of their over all player base.

If your purchase of HoT is predicated on a new Mac client, I do think you are setting yourself up for disappointment. You are fortunate if you can run the game on half the graphics. Many of us run it on the absolute lowest graphics settings to keep the client from crashing because of a bug introduced back in 2013.

mid-2011 iMac; OSX 10.9.5; 3.4 GHz Core i7;
16GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB VRAM

Guild Wars 2 HOT for MAC

Posted by: curtegg.5216

curtegg.5216

I’ve run Civ 6 under both OS sides and again Win7 handling of fans does seem to be more aggressive. Win7 bootcamp though works just fine with GW2 even though there is more fan noise than normal.

Guild Wars 2 HOT for MAC

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

If your purchase of HoT is predicated on a new Mac client, I do think you are setting yourself up for disappointment. You are fortunate if you can run the game on half the graphics. Many of us run it on the absolute lowest graphics settings to keep the client from crashing because of a bug introduced back in 2013.

Yes, I can run the full graphics on my machine but can not avoid crashing when I do that. I have learned to use minimal settings to keep things stable … and even then get random crashes now and then.

BTW, what bug from 2013? While support was extremely helpful I never once heard there was a known major issue like that.

PC people are all ‘macs suck at games’. Yes, that is because we get bad clients. They would have the same problems if they had to use a bad emulation layer to a mac to do something. I guarantee my mac blows away what most casual GW2 PC players are using.

Guild Wars 2 HOT for MAC

Posted by: KTNZ.8650

KTNZ.8650

“Given the overall tenor of ANET’s response they are sympathetic to our situation but do not have any resources to dedicate to us as a very small component of their over all player base”

Well thats just gets silly. There is on one hand countable MMORPG that actually are good and works for OSX. WOW in first place by users and then it is GW2 because all other games either suck in Gameplay, Story, Graphic or simply does not exist on MAC (i do not count in Bootcamp as it is not Mac) Like TERA,AION…

I know a dozens of people who plays this game and uses OSX. By telling that there is no users for who to create native game is just a B****S*** . If there would be available native client then it would draw even more people here and make happy all those who already uses it on OSX.

Some of my old buddies from WOW stays at WOW only for the reason that they cant play game maxed out on graphic.

ArenaNET please make native client for MAC users.

Guild Wars 2 HOT for MAC

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

“Given the overall tenor of ANET’s response they are sympathetic to our situation but do not have any resources to dedicate to us as a very small component of their over all player base”

Well thats just gets silly. There is on one hand countable MMORPG that actually are good and works for OSX. WOW in first place by users and then it is GW2 because all other games either suck in Gameplay, Story, Graphic or simply does not exist on MAC (i do not count in Bootcamp as it is not Mac) Like TERA,AION…

I know a dozens of people who plays this game and uses OSX. By telling that there is no users for who to create native game is just a B****S*** . If there would be available native client then it would draw even more people here and make happy all those who already uses it on OSX.

Some of my old buddies from WOW stays at WOW only for the reason that they cant play game maxed out on graphic.

ArenaNET please make native client for MAC users.

Also today a lot of people have both a mac and pc, so if they made a native mac version some people would prefer to play it on their mac. About 10% of my guild is on mac. Blizzards certainly understood that the mac market was worth the investment, Mac versions of their game run just as well as windows versions.

Guild Wars 2 HOT for MAC

Moira Shalaar.5620

Yes, I can run the full graphics on my machine but can not avoid crashing when I do that. I have learned to use minimal settings to keep things stable … and even then get random crashes now and then.

BTW, what bug from 2013? While support was extremely helpful I never once heard there was a known major issue like that.

You can google the forum for dstbits and lockrects errors and find posts as far back as 2012. Here is the earliest I have found:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/dstbits-crash/first#post3878500

I first encountered this error with the Queen’s Jubilee in 2013:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/lockedRECT-pBits-error-in-Jubilee/first#post2569787

Well thats just gets silly. . . .

I didn’t say that I agree with it. In fact I agree that it is a short sighted policy, and not just because it directly impacts me. I was simply conveying my impression of ANET’s response to the situation. By the way I did not say NO USERS, I said Mac gamers are a very small component. If we even hit the 10% mentioned above by Xilllix that is still a relatively small number of players by percent

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Game-crashes-every-5-min-am-I-the-only-one/2578073/quote

Hey Folks,
Please try the suggestions Kyllaa gave, and reply back to this thread if the problem persists. I’ve seen a couple of these in our ticket system but not many and no replies for the suggestions yet, but if it looks like it’s affecting a large majority of players we can get the issue escalated to the devs. Also posting your specs is important as well, the more information we have with these types of issues the better.
Thanks Kyllaa for being such a ninja at replying to these threads!

There were a couple of pages of replies to that comment so it is not like only a couple of people experience this problem. But however many of us it is, apparently it does not cross whatever threshold ANET has for considering it a critical bug.

Stuff like the above quote is the basis for my assumption that if there is not enough interest at ANET to devote the dev time to repairing critical graphics problems, then neither will they spend the effort making a native client. I would be quite pleased to find out I am in error with that logic and assumption, I just don’t think it is going to happen.

Guild Wars 2 HOT for MAC

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I didn’t say that I agree with it. In fact I agree that it is a short sighted policy, and not just because it directly impacts me. I was simply conveying my impression of ANET’s response to the situation. By the way I did not say NO USERS, I said Mac gamers are a very small component. If we even hit the 10% mentioned above by Xilllix that is still a relatively small number of players by percent

When managing a business even 1% is a big number, 10% is huge. It’s a misconception to think that the mac user basis is irrelevant or not worth investing towards. Mac is a huge platform of visibility now. Mac store has millions of views per day, if Guild Wars 2 ever wanna go on that chart. Can you imagine how much copies of Civilization V were sold simply because they were the top big-budget Mac selling game for over a year?

Even if its just 5% of a game that sold almost 6 million copies, that’s 300,000 copies, $15,000,000 at retail price.

Anyway if they want to make a native mac version they can just outsource the work to companies that do mac ports. Then its just a matter of making sure it’s profitable.

(edited by Xillllix.3485)

Guild Wars 2 HOT for MAC

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

When managing a business even 1% is a big number, 10% is huge. It’s a misconception to think that the mac user basis is irrelevant or not worth investing towards. Mac is a huge platform of visibility now. Mac store has millions of views per day, if Guild Wars 2 ever wanna go on that chart. Can you imagine how much copies of Civilization V were sold simply because they were the top big-budget Mac selling game for over a year?

Even if its just 5% of a game that sold almost 6 million copies, that’s 300,000 copies, $15,000,000 at retail price.

Anyway if they want to make a native mac version they can just outsource the work to companies that do mac ports. Then its just a matter of making sure it’s profitable.

0% of my guild use macs. it would be a waste of time n resources. as other games that have made mac clients, its not worth it. they’d be better off trying to make a client that would run on those steamos machines

Guild Wars 2 HOT for MAC

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

As the current client is still in Beta, I doubt to see a full release candidate for Mac.

All in all, the audiance is relative small. Most pc- gamers game on windows.

(and in before the remarks that it is still in Beta. contrary to popular believe, a beta-product doesn’t automatically incline there will ever be a full product. It means it is reasonable good enough to support it as best effort, but no garanteed support is possible at this point.)

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Guild Wars 2 HOT for MAC

Moira Shalaar.5620

0% of my guild use macs. it would be a waste of time n resources. as other games that have made mac clients, its not worth it. they’d be better off trying to make a client that would run on those steamos machines

Hmm. Are you perhaps advising ArenaNet and NCSoft to perform business analysis and decisions specifically on the basis of the composition of your guild? I don’t know your guild, but for the sake of argument shall we assume that there are 2000 active members, none of whom play using a Mac. Based simply on the 3M games that Anet sold in the first year or so, that is a .06% representation of the player base.

Making a blanket statement based on a significantly limited basis of personal experience with no qualifiers tends to undermine the efficacy of those statements. The very fact that there are mac users posting in this thread indicates that your own experience within your guild is not an accurate representation of the overall player base.

I recognize that as a windows user (that IS an assumption since you seem to represent yourself as non-Mac) this is not a significant issue for you. For the rest of us who do use mac, it is something more so. Perhaps you might give that a bit more consideration in the future before asserting that as a collective community we should be entirely written off.

Guild Wars 2 HOT for MAC

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

Hmm. Are you perhaps advising ArenaNet and NCSoft to perform business analysis and decisions specifically on the basis of the composition of your guild? I don’t know your guild, but for the sake of argument shall we assume that there are 2000 active members, none of whom play using a Mac. Based simply on the 3M games that Anet sold in the first year or so, that is a .06% representation of the player base.

Making a blanket statement based on a significantly limited basis of personal experience with no qualifiers tends to undermine the efficacy of those statements. The very fact that there are mac users posting in this thread indicates that your own experience within your guild is not an accurate representation of the overall player base.

I recognize that as a windows user (that IS an assumption since you seem to represent yourself as non-Mac) this is not a significant issue for you. For the rest of us who do use mac, it is something more so. Perhaps you might give that a bit more consideration in the future before asserting that as a collective community we should be entirely written off.

glad u read the whole thread. i was responding in kind to this

Also today a lot of people have both a mac and pc, so if they made a native mac version some people would prefer to play it on their mac. About 10% of my guild is on mac. Blizzards certainly understood that the mac market was worth the investment, Mac versions of their game run just as well as windows versions.

was it facetious? prob.

did i reply to the wrong quote? prob.

did you jump to assumptions because you didn’t like it? prob.

edit: auto corrected to a diff word than i meant

(edited by Jaxom.7310)