Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns... Why?...

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Black Virius.3274

Black Virius.3274

What’s the meaning of creating new contents while the old ones aren’t accessible to everyone?

Hello, i’m an old Guild Wars player,i’ve been one of those who bought the collector edition of the second title(i love the game), i even bought a second copy to avoid arguing with my brother since we used to share the same acconut , but as soon as i started playing i have been dealing with some problems.
Guild Wars 2 lacks of italian subtitles… How is it possible that a game based on such a good structured PvE could fail so badly in something as easy as a translation?
Now, I don’t have anything against your idea of global hate ,i even tried to wait a year hoping that things could change, they didn’t.
So ashamed of my ignorance about having not been able to understeand anything in the quests, neither in the story in general(i even read the two books in Italian), i found myself leaving guild and friends hoping that one day i would have been back playing Guild Wars 2 (a lot of people who hosted petitions to get italian subtitles got huge amounts of signatures ,yet they didn’t even get considered.).
I gladly noticed that a new expansion is about to come out( Guild Halls °ç° ) , and now i am here looking the Charr statue from the collector edition asking myself:
Italy hasn’t got any rights to play Guild Wars 2?
Why did Guild Wars 1 support italian language while Guild Wars 2 doesn’t?
What’s the meaning of creating new contents while the old ones aren’t accessible to everyone?
Why at this point should i buy Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns?
One last question: Why did you even block indipendent translations??
Maybe i should just sell the Charr Statue and pretend I never had something to do with Guild Wars 2.
Thank you for what you left me with Guild Wars 1 ,i enjoyed every single minute spent in that fantastic game.

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

I hate to say this… but it seems they have decided that Italy is too small a playerbase for the game to make it worth their time and money. Not saying that is right… but many countries have to live with it… most seem to have accepted it.

You seem to write english pretty well though, so surely you do understand most of the story and stuff?

I would not mind them supporting more languages, even though my native language most definitely never will. The more that is able to enjoy the game the better… right?

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

Guild Wars 2 lacks of italian subtitles… How is it possible that a game based on such a good structured PvE could fail so badly in something as easy as a translation?

Translating all of the text in a game is no easy or small matter. I’m not saying they shouldn’t consider implementing it, but it means hiring on new people, presumably because whoever did Italian last time isn’t with them anymore, otherwise they might have it.

Though your English does seem pretty good, so I’m not sure how you’re not understanding a good amount of the quest/PvE info.

Posted by: Sieg.8439

Sieg.8439

Now, I don’t have anything against your idea of global hate

I understand English isn’t your first language, but there are a lot of very inflammatory accusations in your post. Maybe it wasn’t intentional, but wow. Not the best way to ask for a change.

Also, with the post you’ve given us, I’m having a very hard time believing you can’t understand the game dialogue (unless you punched this into a translator).

Hoopa doopa.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

OP doesn’t understand return on investment. I’m willing to bet that on a per resource comparison, HoT is going to make the Anet more money than Italian subtitles. In addition, if there were ENOUGH Italian players, you would have Italian subtitles.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: Wwefan.4982

Wwefan.4982

Hello, i’m an old Guild Wars player,i’ve been one of those who bought the collector edition of the second title(i love the game), i even bought a second copy to avoid arguing with my brother since we used to share the same acconut , but as soon as i started playing i have been dealing with some problems.
Now, I don’t have anything against your idea of global hate ,i even tried to wait a year hoping that things could change, they didn’t.
So ashamed of my ignorance about having not been able to understeand anything in the quests, neither in the story in general(i even read the two books in Italian), i found myself leaving guild and friends hoping that one day i would have been back playing Guild Wars 2 (a lot of people who hosted petitions to get italian subtitles got huge amounts of signatures ,yet they didn’t even get considered.).
I gladly noticed that a new expansion is about to come out( Guild Halls °ç° ) , and now i am here looking the Charr statue from the collector edition asking myself:
Maybe i should just sell the Charr Statue and pretend I never had something to do with Guild Wars 2.
Thank you for what you left me with Guild Wars 1 ,i enjoyed every single minute spent in that fantastic game.

Lots of languages have been left out Gaelic, Scottish Gaelic there are differences between these 2 as well as other small countries with forigen languages that are not German, Spanish and French. So please don’t think Italians are the only people who aren’t able to speak their own languages in a server/megaserver only full of other Scots, Italians,Irish and Welsh.

Sylvari mean

Posted by: kuben.9826

kuben.9826

@ OP Imagine You live in Poland. You know what? I’ve never seen MMO translated into polish and probably I’ll never see. Btw I’m always laughing at my screen when I try to imagine shooting “kula ognia” or “lodowy pocisk” (yes, I know that You don’t understand) instead of “fireball”/“frostbolt” respectively. Translated skills and many options would sound quite funny in MMO, just my opinion. Does it realy affect your gameplay so much?
I’ve never seen a topic where someone is moaning “no polish subtitles in my favourite game, oh, ah, eh Anet repair it or I’m going to quit it now”. I believe they have better things to do instead of adding next, IMO unnecessary, language into the game.
P.S. I’m not master of english, I’ve never been abroad and I can esily understand 95% of dialogues. Second thing is: You don’t have to understand anything to play effectively and enjoy the game. So i don’t know what content is unaccessible to You.

(edited by kuben.9826)

Posted by: shinreigari.7318

shinreigari.7318

I live in Hungary, and the only game i ever played in hungarian was like…. Metin 2…. and “fans” translated that crap into hungarian for free (well, for the rights of being administrators and GMs of the game). And that was the “official” game.
And LoL has gotten hungarian dub recently, which is nice, but i don’t play that.
And that’s it, anything else we want to play, we have to play in english. To be honest, this is totally fine for me, at least i can practice a second language and learn it in a fun way.

To the ones saying OP’S english seems fine: well if he really has trouble doing quests because he can’t understand them, he probably just asked a friend who knows english to translate what he wanted to say.

Posted by: Ludwig.4138

Ludwig.4138

My advice to the OP is to at least try playing in Spanish and using subtitles to help. It may feel as close as a strange dialect of your own language if you can perceive it that way. All the better for you if someone can confirm it is EU Spanish and not LatAm Spanish.

Posted by: Aki.6958

Aki.6958

OP doesn’t understand return on investment. I’m willing to bet that on a per resource comparison, HoT is going to make the Anet more money than Italian subtitles. In addition, if there were ENOUGH Italian players, you would have Italian subtitles.

You may be right,but given that they gave us a fully italian Guild Wars 1 (both dubbed and subbed) ,plus merchandise (books,guides).They should have translated it no matter what.

Posted by: tramwajarz.2369

tramwajarz.2369

learn to play issue

Posted by: Nephziel.6053

Nephziel.6053

You may be right,but given that they gave us a fully italian Guild Wars 1 (both dubbed and subbed) ,plus merchandise (books,guides).They should have translated it no matter what.

So they’ve done something in the past which wasn’t worth time invested for the profit given and due to that you expect them to repeat it?
There is a lot of things that didn’t make it from first into second game.
Saying something must be present in this game because it was present in the past one is ridiculous.

Based on your way of thinking. I guess I better complain that they should change the trains. They were steampowered in the past and they must be steampowered now. No matter what.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

No matter what? Is this serious? There is nothing that dictates they need to do something ‘no matter what’. Just stop.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: Yakez.7561

Yakez.7561

This! Really why? We live in age of Steam Workshop and still…

Posted by: Latinkuro.9615

Latinkuro.9615

This is a stupid, entitlement complaint.

No game company develops for all languages, yet it seems a.net should be the one to do this, entitled much ! I would rather they put that extra effort into things that actually matter for the game, like builds templates…..

Most gaming companies pick the top languages that the most people in their service region speak.

Which a.net has done beautifully to a very high degree of quality.

It is not a.net’s fault your native language is not supported by the game, yet I do not see the portuguese or any other minority community starting a kerfuffle about it.

Imagine this complain:

Why is my native swahili language not supported ?
I paid for the game to, I want my native language in it, so I can understand the story !

Besides, like many have pointed out your English seems to be pretty good !

Arrivederci.

Posted by: Ozan.6850

Ozan.6850

No game company develops for all languages, yet it seems a.net should be the one to do this, entitled much ! I would rather they put that extra effort into things that actually matter for the game, like builds templates…..

Most gaming companies pick the top languages that the most people in their service region speak.

It is not a.net’s fault your native language is not supported by the game, yet I do not see the portuguese or any other minority community starting a kerfuffle about it.

Imagine this complain:

I paid for the game to, I want my native language in it, so I can understand the story !

Arrivederci.

Attachments:

Posted by: Ozan.6850

Ozan.6850

learn to play issue

Posted by: Black Virius.3274

Black Virius.3274

My english sucks.
A friend is translating for me at the moment.
Guys i’m here because i can’t understeand how this could have happened, i’m not playing Guild Wars 2 since 2 years ago and i don’t care if Arenanet added or not italian subtitles.
In Guild Wars 1 we had both subtitles and ubbing, they created a huge fanbase just to cut them off a little later (when GW2 was released) I’m also referring to the other countries who received the same treatment.
I mean guys ,how much could cost a full game translation?
Even if the cost was high,there were a lot of people who decided to translate the game for FREE…
At the beginning the work might be quite a lot, but once done i think just a single translator could be enough to tranlate the upcoming patches.
Ok they decided to not translate the game, but why in the world should you block independent translation? (an italian group did almost translate the full game)
Somebody said that the italian players are a few,and it’s probably true but somebody of you truly knows how many italians tried to play?
In italy there are 60 milions of citizens, we can’t talk about italian players because just Arenanet knows the true number.
Is it possible that the italian players are so an ignificant number that they can’t afford a translation?

Guild wars is going on pretty good, but if you think you need to stare at 3D-models while the servers are getting empty,then i think that you better start paying for gems because after all the graphics are worth everything, right?
I’m sure this expansion will bring fantastic news,but i still believe that adding translations couldn’t hurt anyone, rather it would help players to reconsider the game.
I was waiting for an answer from somebody of the team, i really hope that some day someone will reopen this topic again and meditate about what’s happening.
English is surely important but it doesn’t have to be a requirment to play.
I will learn the english language ,even tough almost EVERY mmo that comes in europe gets an italian translation ,and this is another point to why I don’t have any reason anymore to play a game which doesn’t care about things like this.

This is my last post, good game, i’m out.

Posted by: Cyan.6904

Cyan.6904

I’m almost at the opposite of the spectrum. I’m glad ArenaNet didn’t translate the game to my native language Dutch. Games feel so awkward in Dutch, I have problems taking things serious if games got translated to my native language. Maybe just practice some English, you can even learn things while playing the game. I got a lot more knowledge of the English language while playing GW some years ago.

Cyan Graceland — Elementalist
The Knights Temple [TKT] — Aurora Glade

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Italy has no right to play GW2? I know a lot of Italian players from previous online games, all enjoying english content. That whole translation business has been discussed in other threads, so let me just get to the basics here: You bought a product/service with certain properties that were made known to you. Italian language support was not one of them. You agreed on the purchase. Now you whine a certain property, which was known to you to be absent from the product, does not exist. You passive aggressively attack the business which did nothing but give you the service you bargained for? So what reaction do you expect here now? Sympathy? Certainly not from me.

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_total_number_of_speakers

Come back when Italy has climbed a bit, at least past the other languages that don’t have their own native support yet either

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, now we know why! ^

Posted by: Mara.6782

Mara.6782

Dont they teach english in schools in Italy? Im from Finland and i learned english since the class 4. Watching movies and playing games helped learning and if i dont understand some words i use dictionary.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Play online, play international, learn English. Really… it’s just a matter of will. And I notice there are some – always the same – notorious countries who aren’t willing to learn the most important and international language.

I first started as a 10 year old learning it the hard way by playing Lunar on the Mega CD. I really sat there (it was 1991 or so) with a dictionary German English to learn the god kitten words I didn’t understand.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Dlugi.2968

Dlugi.2968

Like always lazy Italians – just stereotype. Just learn english (/spanish – even easier way) or try to use brain cells if you already know… I know it is always nice to hear story in your own language but it’s not important for all of the people playing this game. This can be addition like in Guild Wars 1, but telling that you dont have right to access content in GW2 is just like telling that your injured finger is more important for doctor than someone else knife stuck in head. You just don’t have right to do that.

PS. I’m not a native speaker.
PS2. My language isn’t supported by GW2, as opposed to the Guild Wars 1.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Dont they teach english in schools in Italy? Im from Finland and i learned english since the class 4. Watching movies and playing games helped learning and if i dont understand some words i use dictionary.

Finland has a really good education ratings, I’m not sure about Italy, but here in Brazil we have English classes in school, BUT the quality of the classes is abysmal, teachers always level the class down by the worse students so everyone can have a chance, so we end learning the “Verb to be” from grade 5 up to high-school, and in college is each one by their own, I will assume that in Italy similar situation happens.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Imagine this complain:

Arrivederci.

Give this man a cookie.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

Central Europe and their translations …

Can’t you people just learn English?! I mean its an MMO after all… What’s the point of playing one if you can’t communicate with other people?!

Posted by: White Hunter.3416

White Hunter.3416

Can’t you people just learn English?! I mean its an MMO after all… What’s the point of playing one if you can’t communicate with other people?!

Tranlations? No, no need. But WHY people from, for example, Eastern Europe(yes, we exists), cannot speak and normally communicate to each over on their languages?
Russian, Belarusian, Ukrainian, etc languages dont work in chat. WHY?

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Tranlations? No, no need. But WHY people from, for example, Eastern Europe(yes, we exists), cannot speak and normally communicate to each over on their languages?

That I agree.
Support for cyrillic alphabet, and some others should be available.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

Because then the chat would be a joke. Everyone would be speaking in their language and you would have to scroll up to actually see stuff you want.

Again, the global speaking language is English

If you can’t communicate in English, then you should not really be playing an MMO.

All you’re good for is get in a group be a burden to the rest of the team because you can’t talk to them.

Posted by: Elendur.9342

Elendur.9342

OP, I am brazilian, so we both speak latin languages. I honestly never tried speaking italian, but I spoke with some spanish people, and spanish and portuguese are so similar that if both persons speak slow, or if they are trying to figure out texts on each other’s language, they can work it out pretty well… I assume the same would happen with italian and spanish, have you tried playing in spanish?

And either way, english is an extremely useful language, and not a difficult one to learn… I had some lessons on school (like Belzebu mentioned we have english classes on school here, though they usually suck) but most of what I learned in english was by playing games like Final Fantasy when I was a kid with a dictionary of portuguese-english and some effort, and I am really really glad I did it. Now I speak english better than some people I know that paid and graduated from expensive private english courses (can’t even count how many times I’ve helped them with vocabulary)

So, TL;DR: I know it sucks to not have our languages supported, but this isn’t new, at this rate we should be used to playing games in english instead of portuguese/italian, and you can always try to either play in spanish or get an online translator (we didn’t even have those when I did it, it was good ol’ fashioned dictionary) and learn a little bit of english (which I recommend)

(edited by Elendur.9342)

Posted by: White Hunter.3416

White Hunter.3416

Because then the chat would be a joke. Everyone would be speaking in their language and you would have to scroll up to actually see stuff you want.

Again, the global speaking language is English

If you can’t communicate in English, then you should not really be playing an MMO.

All you’re good for is get in a group be a burden to the rest of the team because you can’t talk to them.

People already speak in their languages in chat. French, German, Spanish, Italian, English and many overs. Plus ugly translitted Russian/Belarusian/Ukrainian. So, why some people need transliteration to speak their native language and some not?

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I don’t mean to sound ethnocentric, here, but English is probably the single most important language to learn on Earth. Global trade language, global aviation language, even the Olympics are always presented in English (and French, since the modern Olympics were started by a Frenchman). If you don’t know where someone is that you are trying to communicate with, chances are, English is the simplest way to get your point across.

Yes, Mandarin Chinese is spoken by more people than English, but that language is pretty localized, and a very large portion of them speak some English anyway.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: Wwefan.4982

Wwefan.4982

Can we stop with this learn English talk please no everyone wants to learn it they are happy speaking in their native language they have a right to complain that the language they speak is not translated and all this “Learn English or don’t play the game” talk is kind of offensive I may speak good English but that is because I was never allowed to learn my native language. Learning English was not my choice I would rather speak Gaelic but I can’t so I can see where this person and many other people are coming from when they are unhappy that they can’t play the game because their language is not supported so accept people don’t want to learn English and stop this you need to learn English talk.

Sylvari mean

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Can we stop with this learn English talk please no everyone wants to learn it they are happy speaking in their native language they have a right to complain that the language they speak is not translated and all this “Learn English or don’t play the game” talk is kind of offensive I may speak good English but that is because I was never allowed to learn my native language. Learning English was not my choice I would rather speak Gaelic but I can’t so I can see where this person and many other people are coming from when they are unhappy that they can’t play the game because their language is not supported so accept people don’t want to learn English and stop this you need to learn English talk.

Yes, but did you purchase a product, knowing that none of the support for said product would be in Gaelic, then complain that you couldn’t get Gaelic support?

Of course not.

When the game is known to be in English, Spanish, French, and German (and more recently Mandarin), it doesn’t make sense to purchase the game, then be surprised that Italian isn’t supported. However, learning one of those supported languages is a good idea anyway, even without the game.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: Elendur.9342

Elendur.9342

Well, I never said he have to learn english, but that it would be useful to him, which is true.
I agree with you that the “learn english or GTFO” thing is extremist and pretty annoying though, but he also have the option of playing in spanish, which is closer to italian.

Like some more people said, the game is in english, Anet never promised italian support on this game, buying a game in english and complaining that they have to translate it to my language otherwise I can’t play doesn’t make sense. After all, this game is called “Guild Wars”, not “Guerra das Guildas”…

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

If you can complain in english about game not being in another languge then you don’t really have a problem. As for the rest, Samuel L. Jackson has some golden advice for them on the matter, famous enough to need not a quote here;)

Posted by: Latinkuro.9615

Latinkuro.9615

If you can complain in english about game not being in another languge then you don’t really have a problem. As for the rest, Samuel L. Jackson has some golden advice for them on the matter, famous enough to need not a quote here;)

For those that might not know, here’s an example.

Posted by: Aki.6958

Aki.6958

My english sucks.

Did you even read?

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

Try playing the game in french. It’s very close. Sorry you didn’t have a huge colonial empire that would justify the addition of your language to the game.

Posted by: Pyriel.4370

Pyriel.4370

My english sucks.
Guys i’m here because i can’t understeand how this could have happened, i’m not playing Guild Wars 2 since 2 years ago and i don’t care if Arenanet added or not italian subtitles.
In Guild Wars 1 we had both subtitles and ubbing, they created a huge fanbase just to cut them off a little later (when GW2 was released) I’m also referring to the other countries who received the same treatment.
Even if the cost was high,there were a lot of people who decided to translate the game for FREE…
At the beginning the work might be quite a lot, but once done i think just a single translator could be enough to tranlate the upcoming patches.
Ok they decided to not translate the game, but why in the world should you block independent translation? (an italian group did almost translate the full game)
Somebody said that the italian players are a few,and it’s probably true but somebody of you truly knows how many italians tried to play?
In italy there are 60 milions of citizens, we can’t talk about italian players because just Arenanet knows the true number.
Is it possible that the italian players are so an ignificant number that they can’t afford a translation?

Guild wars is going on pretty good, but if you think you need to stare at 3D-models while the servers are getting empty,then i think that you better start paying for gems because after all the graphics are worth everything, right?
I’m sure this expansion will bring fantastic news,but i still believe that adding translations couldn’t hurt anyone, rather it would help players to reconsider the game.
I was waiting for an answer from somebody of the team, i really hope that some day someone will reopen this topic again and meditate about what’s happening.
English is surely important but it doesn’t have to be a requirment to play.
I will learn the english language ,even tough almost EVERY mmo that comes in europe gets an italian translation ,and this is another point to why I don’t have any reason anymore to play a game which doesn’t care about things like this.

This is my last post, good game, i’m out.

Italian has 125 million speakers roughly. Spanish has over 540 million speakers. German has over 180 million speakers, French having over 390 million speakers and finally English having 1.2 billion speakers.

Italy simply doesn’t have a large enough player base that only speak Italian to cover the costs of translating the entire text to conversational Italian then inputting it into the code etc, especially if you are talking about hiring new voice actors and going down that process of scripting and recording.

Please also consider that Anet has around 270 employees atm, that is quite small for a company running a large MMO, especially when you include that most of those will be administration, secretarial, management, financial and non-creation related, thus they rely on outsourcing somewhat. Let’s not get into regional offices in Europe and China.

This would be possible with a larger company like Blizzard but Anet are still small. Bear that in mind.

(edited by Pyriel.4370)

Posted by: XFlyingBeeX.2836

XFlyingBeeX.2836

Why so expensive DLC?… they should be working on DX12 new engine etc. to make game playable in WvW

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

Man i’m from italy too but i do not expect a translation.
Why?
1) i’d rather have them spend money/time on actual gameplay stuff
2) even if professional, a translation is NEVER like the original, you miss so many little bits, that’s the reason why i watch every telefilm in original english audio and everytime i have to choose a language i go to standard english.
Learn it, we live on earth where, willing or not, english is the most important language. Cheers

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

Posted by: Forevereveralone.6385

Forevereveralone.6385

God kitten it. Why hadn’t they translate the kitten game in Burmese. I am a burmese and i brought the collector edition. They should be translating the game into every single language out there rather than making this HoT expac

( Please tell me you guys know what sarcasm is )

Ok Serious contribution now.
I think the reason should be clear by now why Guild Wars 2 is in not available in Italian and why Guild War is. It is probably because they discover that their italian playerbase isn’t big enough to warrant a translation. Like other posters had said, probably not enough return on the investment. They might had thought Italian playerbase will be big enough in Guild wars that’s why they put the translation in. Translations can be actually pretty hard and time-consuming. With MMO as big as Guild Wars 2 managed by a small company like ANet, they are going to need to hire a few new translators to work on it. Hell, just look at Japanese games that got translated to English, they usually took about half a year or more. If they are going to translate a big MMO like Guild Wars 2, they will need a lot of time and resources to pull it off unless you want horrible and bad translations. It is a shame that you can’t understand the story, but I am sure you can find yourself an Italian GW2 community online, and ask the people there about the plots. As for italian getting the rights to play or not. I am pretty sure they allow anyone to play it, I can even connect to GW2 from my native country in South East Asia to North American server that i usually play in college and there is no IP blocking. language barrier is real problem to a lot of games and you just have to suck it up and learn the language. I am thankful that i learn both Japanese and English so i can enjoy it. Well if you feel that language barrier is a big big problem that i guess you shouldn’t buy Heart of Thorn since you will be sparing yourself a lot of anguish like this. As for blocking Independent translation … well i got no defense to that. I guess ANet just don’t want independent mods or file modifications.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

A lot. And that’s just for simple translation, without dubbing

You don’t even imagine how much legal problems it might cause. And it’s not workable anyway – if they want translations, they really need to have to do it inhouse (in order to have translations redy on the day content arrives, and not months later)

That is possible. You are however forgetting, that making a translation in a certain language would require Anet to have a support staff for the same language. Because those players that use only Italian, and can’t speak English, would have problems too, and that problems would have to be addressed by support.

Sorry to tell you, but yes, it is possible. For example, i bet there are less italians that play GW2 than Russians – and yet Russians do not seem to qualify either.

Frankly, if Anet ever decided to make new language versions, i’m afraid that your language would be far on their list.

(and as for GW1, it did not require continuous effort throughout the whole time, as there were no piecemeal content addition/changes. Not to mention that most of translations were text-only, with no dubbing. And yet there were continuous problems with localized translations till the very moment the game was put on automation. I bet there still are some. I’m also sure, that the experience with localizing GW1 was one of the reasons beind the decision to not do that again in GW2.)

TL/DR:
While there are indeed no reasons why they couldn’t do that, there are definitely reasons why they wouldn’t want to. Or consider it a good idea.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Jinesis.3782

Jinesis.3782

After coming in this post for the 3rd times due to misleading title and first sentences, I need to express how misleading this post is.

While I’m here, I’ll be on topic: more subtitels are not needed.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

there is no “right to complain” here. He can bemoan the fact there is no italian version, but he agreed on a purchase of a product with certain properties. Italian language was not included in these properties. That is unfortunate for OP, but does not give him any “rights”. This is not a question of ethics.

As for that that “learn english” thing: It has been explained here and in various similar threads why there is no italian version. If there was good money to be made, Anet would create one. Apparently there isn´t and very probably there never will be. So that in fact leaves OP with three choices: a) learn English b) play a game without understanding the story and various other aspects c) leave the game. Bawling like a child will not change those options.

(edited by Algreg.3629)

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

Well, considering GW1 had a full Bork! Bork! Bork! translation… I demand that in GW2.

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

Personally I hate the idea of encouraging people to not learn English and continue to only be able to communicate in their own language, it feels like you would help them keep shooting themselves in the foot.

9 Guardians later…