Guild decoration suggestions

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

This is a link to a rather large Imgur gallery of in game assets that I feel might make good guild decorations.

There were a set of guidelines I tried to keep to as much as possible, and they are generally as follows:

1. It must be an asset existing in game and either:
a. appear in multiple places irrespective of size (some of these appear to be the identical item just rescaled)
b. Unique, large or “iconic” whether it is widely recognized or not.

2. As much as possible, it should (appear to be) be a single, unique piece and not a set of assets found all over the place, or appear as an inherent part of the scenery. Running around taking these screen shots actually excluded a lot of Asuran pieces as the kinds of things I was looking for were almost all presented as parts of structures, or different amalgamations of the same small set of assets (control panels and such).

3. When looking at furnishings like chairs, beds or couches, assume there will never be an emote to use them properly added to the game. This means any future furnishings should be scaled to a size allowing the largest possible Norn males and Charr to use the standard emotes for sitting/sleeping in them without severely clipping into the item.

4. If it’s a very large item (there is a Charr tower and a couple scaffold-type items) then it should have an open, usable space or, it should be something that can be climbed.

I chose these rules because I assume (and freely admit I know I could be very wrong in that assumption) it would be faster/easier for Anet to turn things that already exist into more decorations because I’m an altoholic, fashion warring, decorating nut and I want more things to play with.

Without further ado, the link to the gallery: http://imgur.com/a/ayfFq

I’d like to see things others have found in the world too!

Posted by: Kelly.7019

Kelly.7019

Norn paintings. There’s even a kiosk/ stand that sells them in Holebrek in the Trade commons area of the Great Lodge. Why aren’t they decorations already ?

Yo, Ho, all together, raise the colors high,
Yo, Ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die

Inimicus.7162

Norn paintings. There’s even a kiosk/ stand that sells them in Holebrek in the Trade commons area of the Great Lodge. Why aren’t they decorations already ?

Or even every wall decoration (and other) painting they have in game. Most of them are actually concept arts from development, but something similar to the Super Moto/Princess portrait would be a good thing to have around.

Posted by: hoewhoew.4619

hoewhoew.4619

This is pretty great! I was planning on making a similar post myself but haven’t gotten around to it yet (busy .. exams this week!).

I’d personally love having more wall decortions such as paintings and rugs/carpets as well. I think the Guild Halls are great but they could use a few more decorations and maybe a higher decoration limit (I mean .. those halls are quite big).

Having decorations you can interact with could be interesting too, or maybe some small miniature decorations (like during Wintersday) that you can smash to little pieces? ^^

I think, going forward, it could also be interesting to have living world / story related items as decorations. Something like a token to remember what happened, or a library with a few books you can interact with (like in Durmand Priory) telling you a few stories?

Guardians of the Silver Dragons – Piken Square

Inimicus.7162

This is pretty great! I was planning on making a similar post myself but haven’t gotten around to it yet (busy .. exams this week!).

I’d personally love having more wall decortions such as paintings and rugs/carpets as well. I think the Guild Halls are great but they could use a few more decorations and maybe a higher decoration limit (I mean .. those halls are quite big).

Having decorations you can interact with could be interesting too, or maybe some small miniature decorations (like during Wintersday) that you can smash to little pieces? ^^

I think, going forward, it could also be interesting to have living world / story related items as decorations. Something like a token to remember what happened, or a library with a few books you can interact with (like in Durmand Priory) telling you a few stories?

Actually, there are a couple other decorations we can interact with, one being the delux vine wall where we can turn the flowers on and off, the delux wyvern statue can turn the smoke on and off, and the lunar firecrackers give you an effect for a short time.

There are other examples of objects we can interact with in game, a Sylvari flower/lamp in Caithe’s home, a few objects out there that make us perform emotes, then there are the two pipe organs that we can play music on (needs some updates cause they’re kinda clunky atm lol)

Small destructibles? There are some kegs in a Human personal story step and quite a few “structures” we smash along the way have animations for getting smashed, all of them are potential items that could be placed with interactions. I like it

Posted by: hoewhoew.4619

hoewhoew.4619

Actually, there are a couple other decorations we can interact with, one being the delux vine wall where we can turn the flowers on and off, the delux wyvern statue can turn the smoke on and off, and the lunar firecrackers give you an effect for a short time.

There are other examples of objects we can interact with in game, a Sylvari flower/lamp in Caithe’s home, a few objects out there that make us perform emotes, then there are the two pipe organs that we can play music on (needs some updates cause they’re kinda clunky atm lol)

Small destructibles? There are some kegs in a Human personal story step and quite a few “structures” we smash along the way have animations for getting smashed, all of them are potential items that could be placed with interactions. I like it

Yes, there are a few you can interact with already, true! The Snow Maker and Jack-‘o-lanterns being some others. I just think it’d be nice having a few more decorations you can interact with, as (for me) it would make it more engaging

I personally thing the Guild Halls and the decorations have a lot of potential, it just isn’t fully used yet. There are quite a lot of decorations ingame that you interract with, it’s just a matter of finding them and implementing them to be used as decorations (probably not as easy as I make it sound).

If the decoration cap would be higher, it’d be nice having some smaller decorations as well simply to add more detail (mugs, buckets, pots, books …). With the current decoration cap it would probably take too large a chunk of the decorations you can play, unfortunately.

And again, I’d really love having a way to experience the past story somehow. I know we have the journal, which is great, but some people haven’t played season one. The recap video helps, but I just think it could be a nice idea to have a library shelf with a few books telling what happened. (Just one, or a few, decorations with let’s say 5-6 books you can interract with; Living World Library shelf 1).

Or what about some Zephyr Sanctum related decorations (could be a nice idea for a Guild Hall too actually)? Another thing that I think could be interesting is having some sort of “teleportation-platform” or an elevator. Something you can place twice, with a starting point and end point. This would make it easier to travel through the Guild Halls, especially to the “hidden” locations (such as the top of the Guild Hall, or the many hidden buildings).

Guardians of the Silver Dragons – Piken Square

(edited by hoewhoew.4619)

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

I have 5 map completions of HoT, and have absolutely no plan to make any of the new legendary weaps (armor maybe, we’ll see when that’s released)

So, I’d like something I could use the gifts for, maybe that map of maguuma with the ley energy concentrations in Auric Basin?

Also, more stuff to use my Gifts of Exploration as well:D

And I still want dungeon/fractal/raid based decorations that you purchase with tokens from their respective content, decos that don’t necessarily require scribe (except for more advanced versions of those decos maybe)
-Caudecus manor could give beds, which can be crafted into bunkbeds
-AC could give coffins, which can be combined to make spirit generators
-TA maybe the various plants n such in there, upgraded to aetherpath decos
you get the idea:)

(edited by Ven Zehn.6573)

Posted by: Odyssey.6523

Odyssey.6523

So I didn’t see this in your imgur but it needs to be added to GH.

We REALLY need Asura gates! Functional ones! How many of you had made an ugly SAB cloud stair case to top of GH, and then built the most awesome structure up there, only to have noone visit because it takes a 20 minute climb just to see a few decorations. Not to mention that nasty stair case still has to stay there to provide access.

What I would like to see, is 4 craftable Asura gates (red/blue/green/white) of which you can only put 2 of each on each map. Red goes to Red, Blue to Blue. Simple as that.

Inimicus.7162

So I didn’t see this in your imgur but it needs to be added to GH.

We REALLY need Asura gates! Functional ones! How many of you had made an ugly SAB cloud stair case to top of GH, and then built the most awesome structure up there, only to have noone visit because it takes a 20 minute climb just to see a few decorations. Not to mention that nasty stair case still has to stay there to provide access.

What I would like to see, is 4 craftable Asura gates (red/blue/green/white) of which you can only put 2 of each on each map. Red goes to Red, Blue to Blue. Simple as that.

I had actually considered this, but my thought was more of a “permanent Mesmer portal.” It would be great if they could put it in though.

A few ways it could be done:
When you drop the first gate, it doesn’t become active or even a full decoration until you drop the second, and these would be permanently linked to each other (deletion of one would also remove the other of course). This isn’t the best case scenario, but I’m thinking of it in terms of “what in game behaviors do we already have with similar function” and Mesmer portals are it.

Another would be that they could all be tied to the guild portal device, OR they could all pop a dialog that gives you a list of all the ones in the hall, and asks which you wish to go to. The problem with this one is that Anet would need to add UI function, to include whether players can name the nodes themselves, or some automatic naming system for the gate nodes that somebody could look at and decipher fairly easily. (x, y, z coordinates are a possibility as something people would have to get used to.)

The portals idea would also save a great many decoration slots in the global cap for those stairways to heaven you mentioned

EDIT:: Here’s one that would be wild, scribes being able to craft usable waypoint nodes as functional decorations oO

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Rather than a Mesmer portal (with its ongoing sound that could drive you nuts if it never stopped), what about the shimmery white insta-port “elevators” such as in DR or the Black Citadel?

Ven Zehn.6573

Some portals would be interesting, but would likely have too many programing problems, particularly when players try to find the limits, and break the limits of the system using the portals.

I would love a portal from the central area of our Hall to more levels, instead of having to use player staircases to get to the outer reaches, but they’d have to be more like a guild upgrade, with set positioning that we can’t change/screw with.

Ven Zehn.6573

Just had another idea: The original LA Lion Fountain – especially since it’s no longer in LA anywhere.

Maybe to make it, you use the Lion Fountain + Gift of Exploration + grandmaster kit and more stones to create “Lions Arch Fountain”

Posted by: cptaylor.2670

cptaylor.2670

I love the Asura gate idea.

Some other suggestions:

Floors and ceilings for things such as the gold walls to make complete structures.

Asura architecture and buildings, including the glowing platforms and platforms similar to the ones in uncategorized.

Misc staircases.

Ascalonian structures.

Interact able pact turrets that could perhaps even have arena functionality.

More trees similar to ascalonian but from other areas of the game, such as a maguma jungle style tree or other misc plant.

Place able waypoint and possibly updraft.

Chest that can be filled for jumping puzzle creation enthusiasts.

Charr car!

Misc buildings and huts.

Beds

I’m sure there are a ton of other things.

The problem though doesn’t seem to be lack of creativity on their end so much as apathy. Kind of seems as though they are simply done implementing new content short of festival decorations for guild halls. I doubt they will even go back and reiterate on things such as the mysterious disappearing updraft in gilded hollows or the treasure room door that leads to the random room with a crystal. They simply seem like they have no intention of spending the development time on this kind of content., which is a shame considering how many players enjoy creating or even admiring the work of others.

I could be wrong with that assumption buy with their new communication policy we will never know unless it comes to fruition.