Guild democracy system (elections)

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Elpredator.8523

Elpredator.8523

Q:

can we have a system to elect and force guild leaders to stand down if they are unfit to lead (voting system for officers and co leads) and have officers and people higher in the guild ranks having to be elected once every 5 months or so and leaders every 4 months because at the moment the guild leader has total control.This would make guilds more dynamic in my view and is a Qol large large guilds need and this could even be implemented as an unlockable thing.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

No. This sounds like it could ruin guilds and open doors for griefing. If you are unhappy with the leadership in your guild, find a new guild.
When the game was new, I was in such a guild who acted as if democracy was the best thing ever and made leader elections and it always ended terrible so I left the guild.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

(edited by Malediktus.9250)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Who needs democracy when you can have me as your King (coughs).

People put time and energy into running guilds. Money too. I paid for my guild webiste, and for my mumble channel. It’s even possible to buy gems, sell them for gold and buy influence right now, which some guild leaders have done.

So members of the guild shouldn’t have the right to take over the guild. It just wouldn’t be right.

Posted by: Nektera.9425

Nektera.9425

you don’t need a democracy system in this game. let people do it socially by themselves.

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

No.

If you think this style fits your guild, make a guild like it or find a guild that does this.

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

you don’t need a democracy system in this game. let people do it socially by themselves.

No we do not, my first guild died becouse the guild leader decided to quit game and not transfer leadership.
Now 2 years later 5 people are all who log in from time to time and cant do nothing but talk to eachother in that guild chat.

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

If you’re not happy leave and start your own.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

can we have a system to elect and force guild leaders to stand down if they are unfit to lead (voting system for officers and co leads) and have officers and people higher in the guild ranks having to be elected once every 5 months or so and leaders every 4 months because at the moment the guild leader has total control.This would make guilds more dynamic in my view and is a Qol large large guilds need and this could even be implemented as an unlockable thing.

No, we can’t, because the overall costs outweigh the benefits.

It’s a lot of work to implement anything like this and even more work to keep it updated/evolving and running smoothly. That is work that could be applied to other facets of the game that would interest and/or benefit more people.

A well-run guild doesn’t need this, because it already includes enough leaders and officers that losing any one or two won’t matter. A poorly-run guild can’t benefit from this, because the very things that make it poorly run aren’t going to be improved by having elections. (Look at small town governance for examples.)

There will be some guilds that can have fun with an election system (especially for role playing). Just not that many.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Crixler.2857

Crixler.2857

I founded a guild once, with the goal of one day making it democratic. But first we had a predemocratic period. The guild was did very well, for the most part. Then we finally went democratic. We had an elected parliament and a constitution. But few people ever voted. We had raffles for voters, and gave away lots of gold, and people still didn’t bother to vote. And once people did end up in the parliament, they themselves rarely did much.
Nothing got done, and the guild stagnated. People started leaving, or stopped repping.
The few parliament members left decided to dump the constitution and go back to a more traditional guild structure, but the damage was done, and the guild is currently essentially dead.

Moral of the story: Democratic guilds may sound like a good idea, but the average player is too apathetic for it to actually work.

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

Guilds aren’t ment to be democratic. If you don’t like a certain guild, leave it. If you feel like you can lead a guild, start one. It’s not that easy. And putting in the effort of having a working social environment for players, also gives you the right to be the boss.

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.