HOPE step IV Problems: Succeeding at Failing

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Thagyr.4136

Thagyr.4136

I pose a question. How do you convince any player who is out leveling their Tyria masterys to NOT complete an event?

Answer is, either bribery or you don’t. And gold isn’t even enough sometimes in some cases.

Frostgorge Sound: A Champion Icebrood Quaggan near Leopards Valley. Only spawns if you fail the event to save the Quaggan from a group of Svanir, which consists of 1 veteran and 2 regular mobs. A single player, either out of ignorance, spite or just needing of experience can prevent this from failing without much problem.

Malchor’s Leap: Champion Risen Wraith in the Cathedral of Eternal Radiance. Has a 50/50 chance of appearing in an event as the Risen try to take back Union waypoint. This requires that nobody kills the Risen Priestess of Lyssa, or nobody defend the Aetheric interuptor to re-contest the temple. Hard time convincing an entire map full of XP farmers to not complete a major meta-event. The people I know who have managed this part of the collection all claim to have done it on maps that were in the process of closing down due to lack of players.

Why did it not pick a Wraith in Cursed Shore. There’s a whole bunch of Champion Wraiths down there both around succeeding and failing events.

I understand Nevermore crafters have their own fair share of this issue as well. Just in different areas.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

I have spent less time in Malchor’s Leap to get that Risen Wraith (12 hours) than I have spent in TD trying to get a successful Gerent kill. I’m beginning to wish there was another event like the Wraith one instead of the Gerent. It is the last thing I need and has been for 3 days. No maps I am on or that I try to organize can kill this thing. The map is just a ghost town.

Posted by: Bandit.8279

Bandit.8279

Totally agree OP. I had the same issues with HOPE and I kept scratching my head as to why I had to convince players to let something fail so I could get my collection item.

I was lucky enough to find friendly and helpful people for the Quaggan event so they left it be as I promised them a champion if they did.

The wraith was an all day battle to convince players not to defend Lyssa and than to time it right so that by the time the zerg finally came I had already freed and held Union wp long enough to trigger the wraith before Lyssa was killed.

Gerent is a different issue entirely…

Fools N Gold [FNG] of Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

These remind me so much of the asinine mechanics Square Enix built into FFXI a decade aog .. one is a mob (the game’s equivalent of an Elite in GW2) that is spawned by killing a placeholder (the spawn occurs sometime after 48 hours since the placeholder first spawned), however you have to NOT kill that Elite for something like 12 hours for it to despawn and a Champion equivalent spawns in its place.

Due to player ignorance or venom the final mob was very, very rarely seen for years. The only difference was that FFXI doesn’t have shared mobs, so even when the final mobs did spawn only one player was able to ‘claim’ it to kill it for the desirable drop.

It’s sad that in GW2 of all ‘modern’ MMOs has a mechanic guaranteed to cause inter-player grief and anger, clearly Anet designed it to do just that because given the rewards FOR completing an event simply outweigh the rewards against; except for players like the OP who requires a failure to get a niche reward item.

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

Very frustrating. Legendary crafting is totally depressing. It’d designed just to sink time and money.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Killing that stupid Wraith is literaly last thing I need to finish HOPE. Whoever designed this task probably never played game in real enviroment..

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Posted by: Ensarda.5648

Ensarda.5648

Im starting volume 4 for hope this and can see this been a major issue; the rest of it is so well designed then something silly like this happens at the end to ruin it; plus some of the hints are not clear at all about what you need to do like the aforementioned champion wraith, only searching online did i get to know what i actually needed to do

Posted by: RustyMech.9876

RustyMech.9876

I got wraith on the first attempt; I was lucky and was on a closing map. They just looked at the events that were completed the least amount of times and chose them for the collections I am guessing.

Ensarda.5648

But in the temple case it has to be completed alot to capture the temple; so why not somit like capture the alter while sucessfully killing the high priestess; does the same events and you don’t need to be on a dead (which is luck if you get) map

Posted by: Buford.2954

Buford.2954

I managed it last night, but under these circumstances:

It was 3 AM
Map had been marked as closing and was a ghost town

There were three people including myself working on HOPE IV at Union WP, and no one was doing the temple capture event after the risen priestess of Lyssa showed up. We ran back and forth doing the seal defense events while the priestess was up until the wraith event spawned, and had to get through the other Union seal event first where a horde of risen try to build a barrier, so it took a bit of waiting.

It really boils down to getting lucky and being on at the right time and in a dead map to get it done as if anyone is actively doing the Lyssa event the priestess will likely die before the event you need shows up – I have experienced this. If the map is active you have a slim chance of success.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I’m sure there are a few trolls but most of the players doing those events are probably unaware that there is any benefit for anyone to fail the event. So when someone they don’t know starts telling them to fail the event they probably think that they are being trolled. It’s against a gamer’s instinct to deliberately fail a challenge and some of those will not even be reading the chat window. I guess news of the requirement for some players to fail will become more widespread but it’s still crazy to create something like that in open world stuff. It’s always going to cause conflict.

Ensarda.5648

Just spend 4 1/2 hrs with 5 others at the cathedral and not a single contestion event, and having to do it in dead maps; that goes very much away from what areanet seem to be about; cooperative game play working as a team to do events and this seems to go agenst that

Posted by: amidare.9561

amidare.9561

Frostgorge Sound: A Champion Icebrood Quaggan near Leopards Valley. Only spawns if you fail the event to save the Quaggan from a group of Svanir, which consists of 1 veteran and 2 regular mobs. A single player, either out of ignorance, spite or just needing of experience can prevent this from failing without much problem.

This happened to me twice today. I was waiting for this event to spawn, the Svanirs took that quaggan to cave to perform ritual. The ritual was at 75%, when person who stood next to me whole time watching, went inside cave and killed them. So event succeed. So champion didn’t spawn. ;(

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

By the Alchemy, just how many fail-to-win-for-legendaries are there?

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Joshua Valentine.6417

Joshua Valentine.6417

Don’t worry, they’re changing the fail-to-win aspects soon™.

Grumpy Woodsman.
Jade Quarry Forever.

Posted by: Zoe.8310

Zoe.8310

Going to throw my hat in here too that this needs to be fixed much sooner than it has been :-(

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Supposedly the Wraith issue has been fixed, but the quaggan one is definitely still in place.

Posted by: Kerin.9125

Kerin.9125

Don’t worry, they’re changing the fail-to-win aspects soon™.

Seems two months, which is about the time since someone from Anet posted on Reddit that they were thinking of doing something, isn’t long enough for them to think about it.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Don’t get upset about those completing the event(s) and not allowing them to fail. The blame doesn’t lie with them, it lies with those that designed and implemented the event without any consideration and understanding of the negative aspects of their design.It is nothing more than poor and substandard development.

Posted by: Lord of Rings.5371

Lord of Rings.5371

This must be designed to make players spend more time in this game.

Fire Water Air
FA

Posted by: Mortem.5170

Mortem.5170

The Devouring the Brand meta event that ends with the spawn of the Champion Devourer Queen has repeatedly stalled over the past week. I have submitted 3 bug reports for different stages of the meta event that have stalled. The collection item that it drops is one of the last few the I need to complete Hope IV.

Today the NPC that starts it, Sentinel Whiptail is marked as a quest but will not start the first quest in the series.

I doubt that this event can be fixed quickly and would recommend that you choose a different target for the Hope IV collection or perhaps you could have the Champion Devourer Queen to spawn outside of this meta event chain.

Posted by: Gator.5729

Gator.5729

Go back and read the patch notes from January 12th. If it is the ’Branded Devourer Ichor" that you need they added an alternate way of getting it. It was a month ago, not trying to be a smart***, but it helps to read patch notes.

Sariel V.7024

I’ve been maintaining the HOPE component pages on the wiki as I have progressed through the collection. I’ll be sure to get this thing updated over the weekend if it isn’t in there.

Posted by: Mortem.5170

Mortem.5170

Thank you Gator. I found the patch notes “Branded devourer ichor can be earned by defeating the giant Branded devourer in the Fields of Ruin.”

Sariel I was working from the Wiki. When I checked the item Hint on the collection it does mention the other option of the one in the Fields of Ruin.

Thanks for the information.

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Yeah, just had the event and was able to get one guy to stop attacking the Svanir when another showed up to finish the job no matter what how much I pleaded.

So thanks for being an kitten tristan.1376 and thanks ANet for providing the means for others to be jerks with these ‘fail-to-win’ requirements.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

Sariel V.7024

Sariel I was working from the Wiki. When I checked the item Hint on the collection it does mention the other option of the one in the Fields of Ruin.

Excellent. I touched it up a bit anyways, and also added some notes to the Risen Wizard and Risen Wraith items.