Heart of Thorns Dungeons/Raids/Fractals

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

For the people who are into that kind of content, are we gonna get anything of that type?

(edited by Quickfoot Katana.8642)

Posted by: Ikaros.5730

Ikaros.5730

Yeah, I feel ya on this. I’m hoping as more info comes out that there will be more on some dungeons/fractals if there isn’t then I’m more than likely not gonna get the xpac and start to looking into other games. I am VERY disappointed in the way ANET has treated dungeon runners.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

We have to remember that there is a new region with 3 ’’floors’’.
There is a huge chance, raid-like content and new dungeons will be introduced.

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

“Raid type content” would seem like a “major feature”. But they didn’t announce anything of the sort, but I am assuming any big world bosses that come out would be considered raid type content. If those occur, then I’ll be very happy.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Yes I kinda am in doubt of getting the xpac if that means no new instanced group challenges

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

“Raid type content” would seem like a “major feature”. But they didn’t announce anything of the sort, but I am assuming any big world bosses that come out would be considered raid type content. If those occur, then I’ll be very happy.

To be fair they did mention something to the effect of challenging group content without going into much detail about what form it would take.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

It just seems like they want to abandon the old dungeons and fractals, which is a shame. I could understand if they added new ones, but they aren’t even adding that, which leaves dungeon runners in the cold. This will turn away a lot of potential expansion buyers.

Posted by: Silalus.8760

Silalus.8760

Bear in mind too that we should assume the expansion is not going to be a one-shot. It’s going to add content and systems, and probably coincide with a massive re-balance patch to vanilla systems too, since all of that impacts the new stuff.

Then after everyone has had time to enjoy the hell out of that for a while, you can bank on more LS seasons or other forms of progressive content release in the new expansion-driven world. There’s no reason to assume that there will never be a new dungeon or similar rolled out during those incremental releases.

(edited by Silalus.8760)

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

It just seems like they want to abandon the old dungeons and fractals, which is a shame. I could understand if they added new ones, but they aren’t even adding that, which leaves dungeon runners in the cold. This will turn away a lot of potential expansion buyers.

It’s not denied nor confirmed. There’s still a chance. Dungeons isn’t something worth mentioning as a new feature I’d think. Raids would have been maybe, but I don’t think they’re quite ready for those yet.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Posted by: Gilgalas.7860

Gilgalas.7860

I suppose that we would have heard of raids today if they were to be included at release. However, there has been a strong emphasize over new guild content/challenges, and little detail concerning it. Morever, the guild halls are coming, as well as some sort of GvG (guild team PvP leaderbords), and raids were discussed in CDN at the same time.

I would not be surprised to learn raids are coming in some 6 months after HoT release, as part of a feature pack and/or intermingled with the then LS (I suppose it will start again some time after the expansion when Anet estimates we got enough time with the base expansion content).

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Well, on the HoT homepage note that it says “challenging group content” and it also has “test your mettle in new boss battles” as a separate line from challenging group content. So who knows….maybe there will be raid-like content, maybe not. Even if they do raids you can bet they won’t be like WoW style raids. They’ll be GW2’s spin on raid content.

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

My guess:

New dungeons, possibly new fractals, no raids.

Large-scale open world bosses in the style of Scarlett megahologram/marionette/vinewrath in the place of instanced raids.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Now this is the kicker isnt it?

The hype machine is on full throttle with this announcement, everyone is losing their minds but they are forgetting: If Living Story is the continued focus after this expansion is released, you’ll have the same sort of focus and support for the game that you currently have.

Dungeons get zero love.
Guild Missions get zero love.
Raids would get zero love.

The details on paper sound amazing. But I know that arenanet will abandon the dungeons once they are in the game and once they re-turn their focus toward living story.

It’ll be same sh_t different day…

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Walhalla.5473

Walhalla.5473

My guess:

Large-scale open world bosses in the style of Scarlett megahologram/marionette/vinewrath in the place of instanced raids.

WEll they have hired a Raid Designer not long ago, which is a hint towards Raids. You don’t hire someone who is specialized at Raids without planning Raids.

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

^ It’s been what? 4-6 months since the raiding CDI and that raid designer ad? Bit too soon to have raids in the game by the time an expansion drops, I’d say. Unless they’ve started working on it a lot earlier.
We’ll see in the coming weeks what they see as ‘challenging group content’.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Posted by: Simzani.4318

Simzani.4318

Not in this DLC it seems, maybe for the next in 3 years.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

They have said there is going to be at least 1 very, very hard boss encounter, on a scale of the 3 headed wurm / tqueatl. So need 100+ co-ordinated players to complete.

Windsagio.1340

My guess:

WEll they have hired a Raid Designer not long ago, which is a hint towards Raids. You don’t hire someone who is specialized at Raids without planning Raids.

“Raid Designer” is probably working on the world events, not on traditional MMO style raids.

I could be wrong though, Maybe that’s the hinted at thing with the guild hall content.

~~~

Still, ‘traditional’ raids don’t really match their model in any way, so I’m gonna stick with my first assumption: More world boss content, some of it much harder, no closed-instance raids.

Posted by: Brahmincorle.1264

Brahmincorle.1264

I eil not buy the expansion without new dungeons. I can play other games with dungeons instead ;-) They will have to blow my mind with whatever they add to change my mind.

(edited by Brahmincorle.1264)

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Mike mentioned “Challenging group content” in HoT, and they were recruiting for a Raid Designer a while back, but we have no specifics, yet.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Yeah but challenging group content can easily mean another Tequatl ..

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Yeah but challenging group content can easily mean another Tequatl ..

That’s exactly what they mean but more like 3 headed wurm but 10 times as hard as that and need more players to do it/more co-ordination and everyone to have some of the new masteries before you can even begin to think of success.

Its basically for hard core guilds/elitists to have a competition over who can be 1st in the world to complete it once GW2:Heart of Thorns is released. It took nearly a week for the 1st guild to complete the 3 headed wurm? So if it takes them longer than a week, perhaps upto a month before the 1st guild does it, Arenanet will be happy.

If your a casual, normal player thou forget it even exists…save yourself loads of time.

I hope its not Mord (the new dragon) himself thou that’s going to be that hard to kill, cause everyone would like to kill him at some point, unless your a salad/Sylvia minion of course!

(edited by Meglobob.8620)

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

more players than a capped out map? wat?

more players doesn’t even mean harder content, it just means content that presents an organisational challenge. lower man content challenges both organisation and individual skill since the contribution of each person matters more (think for example if a guardian dies on the imbued shaman, that’s a pretty big hit).

Its basically for hard core guilds/elitists

this word. constantly popping up and ruining threads. can we be a little more creative and a bit less offensive towards “players who make an effort to play competently” please?

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

this word. constantly popping up and ruining threads. can we be a little more creative and a bit less offensive towards “players who make an effort to play competently” please?

No, because apparently putting effort into the game and not wanting to be a burden on your teammates makes you a bad person somehow.

That’s exactly what they mean but more like 3 headed wurm but 10 times as hard as that and need more players to do it/more co-ordination and everyone to have some of the new masteries before you can even begin to think of success.

So since it’s open world everyone can participate but it’ll only work if everyone has the corresponding masteries? Sounds like it’ll work out perfectly.
The sole reason why people are asking for instanced challenges is because you don’t have to deal with randoms. ANET has to dumb down/tone down bosses so a bunch of randoms and #1spamzerglings on megaservers can beat it.
Besides, designing it for a huge zerg only makes individual contribution count even less; the exact opposite of what the dungeon crowd is asking for.

(edited by Crovax.7854)

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

The raids will likely be big open-world events like Triple Trouble, Marionette, Tequatl, or Vinewrath. This is ArenaNet we are talking about, after all. They don’t like doing things traditionally.

Windsagio.1340

The raids will likely be big open-world events like Triple Trouble, Marionette, Tequatl, or Vinewrath. This is ArenaNet we are talking about, after all. They don’t like doing things traditionally.

Let’s edit this down:

There’s almost no evidence that traditional raids are good money makers for the companies, which makes it less likely to me that they’ll do them.

(edited by Windsagio.1340)

Lazaar.9123

Let’s edit this down:

There’s almost no evidence that traditional raids are good money makers for the companies, which makes it less likely to me that they’ll do them.

Yeah, even Blizzard admitted that raids can alienate a very large portion of the player base because of the raids not being accessible to them. It’s why they just ended up making the LFR tool and started making raids easier.

Posted by: Larynx.2453

Larynx.2453

Let’s edit this down:

Yeah, even Blizzard admitted that raids can alienate a very large portion of the player base because of the raids not being accessible to them. It’s why they just ended up making the LFR tool and started making raids easier.

Only when that’s the entire focus of all of their content patches, and the only reason raids had alienated players is because of difficulty, nothing else. After LFR was released, raids went from being done by single to teen digit percentages of players to 60-70%, based on statistics gathered by mmo-c.

Even if raids were WoW heroic-level of difficulty, that would be fine. Not every piece of content needs to be accessible by every single player. Only when the only focus is on this small group is when it becomes a problem.

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

Let’s edit this down:

Only when that’s the entire focus of all of their content patches, and the only reason raids had alienated players is because of difficulty, nothing else. After LFR was released, raids went from being done by single to teen digit percentages of players to 60-70%, based on statistics gathered by mmo-c.

Even if raids were WoW heroic-level of difficulty, that would be fine. Not every piece of content needs to be accessible by every single player. Only when the only focus is on this small group is when it becomes a problem.

I kinda does need to be accessible to at least most players since they don’’t put out enough content to keep people occupied as it is.

Windsagio.1340

Instances in general are a much bigger investment since you need to make and test the entire environment and keep a very careful balance with the encounters.

Posted by: Larynx.2453

Larynx.2453

Let’s edit this down:

I kinda does need to be accessible to at least most players since they don’’t put out enough content to keep people occupied as it is.

The fact that the game has increased its playerbase since launch disagrees with that statement.

Lazaar.9123

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

There’s no point to “raids” when we now have the ability for guilds to manually trigger the open world raid content at will.

3 headed worm IS a raid on the overworld map, and I wouldn’t be suprised if future raid-like content will exist in the open world. Even your standard cave with trash>boss>trash progresssion will still probably exist as open world content with the guild trigger flag avaliable, and will be indistinguishable from the “raids” found in other games aside fron being build to scale better.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Animosity.5968

Animosity.5968

As someone only now diving into dungeons/Fotm (albeit for gold to help my WvW addiction) I would like to and expect to see new dungeons on those 3 floors and I doubt ill be disappointed. As for raids, i don’t think we need them. As PopeUrban said above me, guilds can trigger big boss events + world boss’s (basically a boss raid, look at tequatl). I hope the expansion goes well and i’ll be watching all the updates carefully with real focus on Guild halls and the new specializations.

(edited by Animosity.5968)

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Let’s edit this down:

The fact that the game has increased its playerbase since launch disagrees with that statement.

The playerbase obviously increased since it’s a one-time buy.

But do you think you have the same number of people active right now than at launch? You couldn’t be more wrong.

Look, all I want is an answer from Anet whether we are getting some instanced challenging group content akin to dungeons, where individual skill matters, or we’re getting an open-world “group” content, where only organization of the zerg matters and skill means less.

Posted by: Brahmincorle.1264

Brahmincorle.1264

ESO is going to be B2P in March… they have dungeons….. much better dungeons than GW2. They also have trinity but with active combat like GW2.

I think this game might appeal to us – dungeoneers more.

Posted by: MissHedgehog.1052

MissHedgehog.1052

People who enjoy dungeons a lot might very well be a completely different group from those who enjoy organizing Teq and Worm – organizing a huge number of people to do the right thing. What I expect from dungeons/raids is a small group of people (below 20) to do hard boss content. I don’t really care about the open world stuff, it’s nice, but it has nothing to do with dungeons.

Quickfoot Katana.8642

ESO is going to be B2P in March… they have dungeons….. much better dungeons than GW2. They also have trinity but with active combat like GW2.

Didnt that game went B2P because it failed because of the gameplay? Dont know if thats convincing…

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

To be fair they did mention something to the effect of challenging group content without going into much detail about what form it would take.

Sadly, that’s way to vague for the majority of us concerned about this type of content. Realistically, they could just be referring to another Mary/Teq type of battle. Which while better then nothing, isn’t exactly what some of us want.

Didnt that game went B2P because it failed because of the gameplay? Dont know if thats convincing…

Their official stance is it’s due to the console release and they want to keep it simple……..which I don’t think anyone actually believes. That being said, personally for dungeon content I’d suggest FF14 if you are ok with the sub fee and the holy trinity.

(edited by Celestina.2894)

Posted by: Gilgalas.7860

Gilgalas.7860

Don’t you wonder why it went from P2P to B2P ?

Well, I took part to the betas and later to the game several month after release (November) thanks to a friend, and I can tell you there are excellent reasons why they are not able to retain both their subscription model and their players. This game may have been good 5-6 years ago, not today.

They were even able to come up with the worst market system we have seen for ages and had to endorse third party out of the game fan-runned market places to make up for it …

(edited by Gilgalas.7860)

Posted by: Kubrick.5740

Kubrick.5740

If this xpac does not contain new dungeons or raids, I definitely won’t be buying it.
This game has no end game.
I keep waiting… and waiting… and waiting… for SOMETHING NEW.
I am so TIRED of the same old boring crap they keep producing.
I. Don’t. Care. About. PVP. WvW. Or Living Story.
What kind of MMO doesn’t have dungeons?!
Not a very good one, IMO.

If you don’t want raids, that’s one thing.
I don’t even know if I want raids.
But dungeons? Come on. Everyone that plays PvE loves dungeons!
At least that’s what I’ve gathered.
*On that note, for the love of god, PLEASE fix the gosh darn exploits!! I am sick of having to write “Arah, no exploits, clearing trash”. I guess it’s every developers dreams to make mobs that people completely ignore…

I honestly don’t see the appeal of this game as it is right now.
It was so much fun originally leveling up characters and gearing them up…

But then what?

Legendaries are a joke.
Way too much work for very very little reward.
And not to mention that it is pay to win.

If this xpac is just more of the same crap, I certainly won’t be buying it.
Although the new prof and specializations/trait system does seem pretty darn cool!
What’s the point if there isn’t any CONTENT?

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

I expect some more LS content added as FotM.
I just hope they don’t just add the LS instances, but adapt some world bosses to be fractal bosses.
Going against the scarlet marionette with a group (doing one platform at a time) or climbing the tower of nightmares could be really cool fractals, and a way to get content that is already done to be used.