Hearts and Minds insane

Hearts and Minds insane

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Cyniscythe.5947

Cyniscythe.5947

I have only one level 80 (new to this game) and I just started the last storyline instance (solo), Hearts and Minds. I main a staff elementalist with mostly berserker exotic gear and I got to Trahearne, who transported me into the dream along with braham and canach (heard these two were the easiest to fight blighted versions).
However, the first fight – blighted eir – is impossible for me. I can’t kite as Eir teleports all around the arena and never stays still, and I can barely bring Garm down before my dodges run out and my slow speed kills me. At this point, I’ve died so many times that all my armor is broken: literally standing in shorts and nothing else, and I have to start over at this point to repair them.
This is the most infuriating fight I’ve had in the entirety of GW2 and frankly even feeding 0/26/0 while getting 4 reports in league of legends doesn’t reach this level of hell. Are you supposed to do this solo or with a group? Or is it just that I’m using a staff, which is horrible for 1v1 fights?

(edited by Cyniscythe.5947)

Hearts and Minds insane

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

It is very solo-able. I did it on my ele. A few things to keep in mind though is going to be to maximize your boons. Also if you need to use more defensive skills like arcane shield or magnetic aura. Also summoning a rock golem helps to take some of the heat off you.

I was using Dagger/warhorn for the fight. That might work better for you then staff.

Maybe so life steal on hit food. Also if you are having trouble maybe hit someone up in game. I would be happy to lend a hand if you catch me online. Just give me a poke.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Hearts and Minds insane

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I’ve yet to finish this particular stage too. It’s ..not fun.

Some ideas that might help, which I’ll be trying:

- try more tanky armour, like soldiers, over berserker
- bring along some elemental powder and ogre pet whistles to summon some more minions
- use the earth elemental elite as it draws aggro away from you
- bring some portable repair kits
- bring some seed turrets
- try sceptre instead of staff
- try focus or warhorn
- are you using overloads?
- equip the mist form utility to get you out of a tight spot when your dodges run out

Hearts and Minds insane

Posted by: Surek.3056

Surek.3056

Here are some tips on how to run this fight if you’re an elementalist.

For survival:

-Try and have a look on your water trait line, there’s some very useful heal traits there, as well as some condition removal on dodge and such, for those burning conditions you’ll likely suffer.

-Your third trait line should be Tempest, to maximize your healing via overload water and auras. It also helps your dps while kiting Garm via overload air/fire.

For the fight itself:

-Focus your attention on outrunning the fire circles Eir will spawn, using “Eye of the storm” for superspeed. If you outrun those, the most dangerous aspect of the fight is gone since you won’t get burnt. The shots she fires that leave a straight line on the ground can be jumped, don’t bother dodging those. Dodge only when extremely necessary while fighting Garm.

-Once you take Garm down, try as best as you can to break Eir’s defiance bar, since that will improve your damage to her by a great deal. For this, I would recommend you go Dagger/Focus, since you would have great cc skills such as Focus air 5, and water 4-5. These weapons also provide you with some invulnerability (Obsidian flesh, in earth) and a great deal of auras, to synergize with the Tempest line to give you plenty of regen and such.

And the most important of all, have patience and practice. The best way to learn how to play a class is to find a fight that presents some challenge and try your best to learna and improve in order to overcome it. Always have a look at your possibilities switching traits and weapons, and you’ll learn a great deal on how to adapt to each situation depending on the encounter.

Hearts and Minds insane

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I did that fight with staff, I think I may have had tempest when I did it so my build would have been something like tempest/water/air, kite Garm then air overload Eir, rinse and repeat.

Be warned though you have 2 more difficult fights to go in that quest in particular the last fight which has a lot of bugs in it as well as being difficult, and every time your armor gets broken and you have to repair you have to do the entire quest over again.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Hearts and Minds insane

Posted by: Cyniscythe.5947

Cyniscythe.5947

I just beat Mordremoth with 3 other people in a group. The Eir fight went by in less than a minute. Also, I don’t have Tempest, so I couldn’t use warhorn. Regardless, thanks for the tips!

Hearts and Minds insane

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

I just beat Mordremoth with 3 other people in a group. The Eir fight went by in less than a minute. Also, I don’t have Tempest, so I couldn’t use warhorn. Regardless, thanks for the tips!

Congrats, glad you got it

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Hearts and Minds insane

Posted by: BellatorDeus.2310

BellatorDeus.2310

Yes….on my staff elementalist this fight was hard whereas on my staff necromancer it was relatively easy (but not short) because of all the minions attacking the dog. All I can say is – as an elementalist launch the rock elemental and then kite in a circle firebombing the dog. Whenever the dog is dead firebomb Eir. Rinse and repeat.

Tip – buy some armor repair canisters. You will need them before you complete all 3 fights.

Hearts and Minds insane

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Yes….on my staff elementalist this fight was hard whereas on my staff necromancer it was relatively easy (but not short) because of all the minions attacking the dog. All I can say is – as an elementalist launch the rock elemental and then kite in a circle firebombing the dog. Whenever the dog is dead firebomb Eir. Rinse and repeat.

Tip – buy some armor repair canisters. You will need them before you complete all 3 fights.

Wow thats probably why anet refuse to do anything about this quest they want you to buy repair canisters. kitten that.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Hearts and Minds insane

Posted by: Rasgalinj.2763

Rasgalinj.2763

Definitely soloable, done so with a LB Ranger and S/S Revenant. Took 3-4 attempts the first time, failing at 20% and having to start over from the top was pretty kitten depressing..

Hearts and Minds insane

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Git gud

Message Body length must at least be 15.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Hearts and Minds insane

Posted by: Marthkus.4615

Marthkus.4615

The quest was faceroll easy on my soldier reaper. I imagine a celi ele would roflstomp this.

Hearts and Minds insane

ProtoGunner.4953

Lol @soldier reaper. Reaper has 21k+14k life, you don’t need soldier, really.

I only finished it on zerker reaper and it was super easy.

‘would of been’ —> wrong

Hearts and Minds insane

Posted by: Amurond.4590

Amurond.4590

I finished it on 9 characters all in zerk/vipers/sinister setups. I didn’t think Ele was that bad at all, the damage output is insane. I didn’t have tempest at the time so I was still on water which I guess was helpful on Mordy in some parts. Kill Garm, break Eir then burn Eir, repeat until dead.

I didn’t time all my runs but I definitely did Heart & Minds fastest on my guard, due to having done it a couple of times by then plus best gear and such burst wow. Killed Eir in one burn after breaking her, good times.

~ The Server I Play On Is Better Than The Server You Play On ~
- Kudzu, Dreamer, Frostfang, Eternity, Flameseeker Prophecies ~
~Nevermore, HOPE, Moot, Incinerator, Meteorlogicus, Howler ~

Hearts and Minds insane

Posted by: Roxanne.6140

Roxanne.6140

Auras used to work well on staff elementalist, till the nerf so I’m not sure now. You could experiment playing with other stats that add some to defense or healing if survival is a problem. I did alright on my elementalist (pre-nerf) till the flying part where I found that rocks were boss.

gaem not made for mi
===========

Hearts and Minds insane

Posted by: Marthkus.4615

Marthkus.4615

Lol @soldier reaper. Reaper has 21k+14k life, you don’t need soldier, really.

I only finished it on zerker reaper and it was super easy.

You don’t NEED it. It’s just faceroll easy with it.

Hearts and Minds is very easy to tank through. If the full zerker staff eli is having problems then just put on some sustain gear.

Hearts and Minds insane

ProtoGunner.4953

Yeah, but i wound’t change all my gear. If there are issues, use buffood with +vita/toughness. Should be enough for one fight. It’s true though that your DPS is not really important in this mission since there are a lot of other damage sources from NPCs.

‘would of been’ —> wrong

Hearts and Minds insane

Posted by: Sourde Noire.5286

Sourde Noire.5286

As Ele I wouldn’t spec defensively in PvE. I’d suggest Earth Armor, Lesser Glyph of Elementals and Signet of Air as utility and Glyph of Elementals as Elite.

Cast the lesser Glyph in Earth to get the elemental to tank for you and burst Garm down. Eir will come to revive him, focus on her. That’s the whole strategy for the fight – down Garm, attack Eir while she is reviving him.

When your Lesser Earth Elemental is gone, summon the Elite one in Earth. When that one is gone, your Lesser should be ready again.

Hearts and Minds insane

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I got HoT last week and this mission took me 6 hours to finish because of bugs and other stuff (tried it alone AND in parties).

1st try (solo): Canach became invulnerable at 10% HP, I gave up after hitting him for 30 minutes (tried the shield and my own attacks, shield didn’t even do the bubble).
2nd: Eir stacked 50+ burning on us in seconds and nearly instakilled everyone the moment we attacked her.
3rd: Mordremoth attacked us and killed everyone in 1 hit, then he became invulnerable and unattackable by 2 party members (he had green HP bar, party members had red HP bar, I could kill my kitten party members but not Mordy, lolwut).
4th: I got DCed during Mordremoth fight and when I went back the whole mission restarted even though I was in a party… At this point I literally CRIED.
5th: Finally managed to beat it with 2 other people.

NEVER AGAIN. I got the Leystone armor piece I needed for my mix-n-match, g’bye Mordy!

Hearts and Minds insane

ProtoGunner.4953

Er, 6 hours? I admit it took me about 5-6 tries be cause of bugs twice and the awkward mechanics during flight phases etc. but all in all about 1-2hours… and I did it solo.

‘would of been’ —> wrong

Hearts and Minds insane

Posted by: Zantmar.5406

Zantmar.5406

I did it many times and it was easy……
For eir u wanna be a bit mobile so prolly wanna use lightning hammer or fgs for the fight

Life blast should hit twice and have its damage halfed
If Rocket Charge is only 2 leaps then it should look like 2 leaps
True Shot should be cast on the move

(edited by Zantmar.5406)

Hearts and Minds insane

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I did this with my husband over the weekend (finally!!!!!) He was running a staff ele, not even a tempest. I was running my necro. He uses Valk gear and was doing “ok.” (Of course I was playing in your face necro and tanking (even in zerk gear) cause, well…necros can.) Try equipping signet of air for the speed boost, see if that helps.

I’ll be doing this on my ele…probably later this week, but I haven’t been running staff. I’ve been doing d/f or d/w with air, water, and tempest. We’ll see how it goes.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Hearts and Minds insane

Mea.5491

Er, 6 hours? I admit it took me about 5-6 tries be cause of bugs twice and the awkward mechanics during flight phases etc. but all in all about 1-2hours… and I did it solo.

Good for you I guess? My parties didn’t give up, we tried again and again until our gear was completely rekt so we spent a lot of time in there. They were all pugs, I guess everyone was new to HoT so we didn’t even know what we were doing half of the time. I was there from 2pm until almost 8pm but I had a food break. That DC didn’t help either…

Hearts and Minds insane

Posted by: sAdam.5876

sAdam.5876

Necro here. I did it after 4 tries. Two times I died was during flying segment, just couldn’t jump on that mushroom :P

Hearts and Minds insane

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

The Eir fight is pretty simple if you know the mechanics.

The main thing you want to do is just completely ignore attacking period when Eir is doing her rain of fire arrows from the sky. Literally ignore everything and just run. Forward, so that you’re getting full speed, not sideways or backwards.

Once the fire rain ends, then you stop and take Garm out.

The fire rain is pretty much the only real threat during the fight.

Hearts and Minds insane

Posted by: Amurond.4590

Amurond.4590

As an aside, I think it’s a lot less buggy now than it was early on in HoT. On a few of my characters it took multiple attempts because of how buggy those updrafts were. On the last 5 – 6, no issues whatsoever. I’m not sure if it was the change to gliding being client side or if they just fixed the updrafts to be much more efficient at throwing you upwards too.

~ The Server I Play On Is Better Than The Server You Play On ~
- Kudzu, Dreamer, Frostfang, Eternity, Flameseeker Prophecies ~
~Nevermore, HOPE, Moot, Incinerator, Meteorlogicus, Howler ~

Hearts and Minds insane

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

I did it on my first try. I’m not even bragging, I’m a very bad player. Just happened to do it on the mostly-Soldier medi guard, and there was no problem whatsoever.

I did get downed every time Mordie did his area attack, cause I was stupid enough not to realize you can glide around when it happens. Every time I got downed, it was right at the end of the attack period, and I just revived myself with skill 4.

I’ll be honest, I did not expect to survive that fight at the very first attempt.

Hearts and Minds insane

Mea.5491

Yeah everything is easy and simple. IF it isn’t bugged.

Hearts and Minds insane

Posted by: Avarice.2791

Avarice.2791

Wait, people found story mode hard? Lolol good luck doing anything else in this game.

Hearts and Minds insane

Posted by: MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

Another thing I discovered is that if you get as far away from Eir as possible when fighting Garm, she doesn’t attack you, she just stands there.